Thai I.Q.

hocuspocus

In general it is my belief that clever people are sometimes born like that but in general a person's I.Q. can be increased with good schooling. So it is also my belief that if the standard of schooling is very low (everyone passes exams in Thailand) then in general the populations average I.Q. will be lower according to the level of schooling.A lot of expats I know have arguments with their Thai partners due to the I.Q. differentials as people of a lower I.Q. (lower intelligence) have difficulty with common sense. I can give one very recent example, my Thai partner blamed me for breaking our digital bathroom scales. Now I weigh around 100kgs my partner weighs around 57kgs but because I have been weighing my reel to reel machines (maximum 24kgs) and the scales have broken digitally she is blaming me. Now the platform is solid glass about 10mm thick and under no circumstances can the glass flex but she says it is because of uneven weight distribution (not her words) that the scales have broken. Don't get me wrong but I do like a good argument but if you are dealing with a person with a lower I.Q. I have decided that it is sometimes difficult to win an argument and my friend's favorite saying is " A wise man always keeps a still tongue "

I am alone in my belief?

I tend to believe that those with a high IQ tend to write better, and break long, rambling statements into readable paragraphs.

I think this thread is more than just about judging one's IQ... I think it is about the OP's insecurity of being called 'fat', in a non-direct manner, by his partner.

Who paid for the scales in the first place? Who pays the rent where you and your partner stay? Who buys her clothes? Groceries? Do you support her family or does she support yours?

Now tell me whose IQ is a lot better?

Best thing I've read in a long time. Laughed my ar*e off. Spot on the mark!

Edited by djayz

Many years ago, in a discussion about the difference between officers and the lads, this was an answer I was given by my 'seadad':

"Chris, upstairs is a wardroom filled with very clever people. 95% of them could tell you the cubic capacity of a jam jar, but only 5% of those could tell you how to take the lid off it. Schooling isn't everything."

That has always stuck with me.

Which brings me to the point of how a country's population is assessed for an average IQ. How is that done? Everyone takes an IQ test?

IMO, your other half came to a logical conclusion that if the scales were working properly for weighing body weight, and then weren't working after being used for something else, then the later action was to blame.

What is IQ?

Edited by chrisinth

Sure to be closed soon....but will add ..

Average IQ in Thailand 91.....UK 100 ....US 98

So some higher ....Some lower within the respective countries....obviouslyclap2.gif

http://www.sq.4mg.com/NationIQ.htm

Hi Did you actually read the paper provided in the link?

The authors were looking at income and GDP and then linking it to an IQ score from test that included' verbal, mathematical and scientific terms '

Given the very low income and limited education that many Thai people have received- it is not surprising that the score was low.

A recent study concluded that differences between the races is environmentally driven.

Of course as usual this thread has been reduced to denigrating Thai people .

PS have not got a clue what happened to the scales- and gosh people do worry about weird things!

Edited by peterb17

Sure to be closed soon....but will add ..

Average IQ in Thailand 91.....UK 100 ....US 98

So some higher ....Some lower within the respective countries....obviouslyclap2.gif

http://www.sq.4mg.com/NationIQ.htm

I do know some people who are very clever, who have high I.Q. and have been to University. Also they are in very well paid jobs but when it comes to everyday things, they have not got a clue and they would have difficulty changing a light bulb, so perhaps it is not so much about the I.Q. but more about attending the "University of Life" .

"IQ" is a 19th century concept.

Intelligence is about the ability to solve new problems.

Originally the focus was on mathematics, later language and other skills were added.

Then it dawned that there also are very different skills, and EQ emotional intelligence was introduced.

Is a gifted mathematician without social skills intelligent?

Is an artist that does not know how to count stupid?

A typical question for IQ test:

What do diamonds, snow and sugar have in common?

Ask that question to an Amazone indian, and I predict he will not be able to answer.

Good thing for Einstein that nobody ever asked him to compose a hard rock song.

Many years ago, in a discussion about the difference between officers and the lads, this was an answer I was given by my 'seadad':

"Chris, upstairs is a wardroom filled with very clever people. 95% of them could tell you the cubic capacity of a jam jar, but only 5% of those could tell you how to take the lid off it. Schooling isn't everything."

Which brings me to the point of how a country's population is assessed for an average IQ. How is that done? Everyone takes an IQ test?

IMO, your other half came to a logical conclusion that if the scales were working properly for weighing body weight, and then weren't working after being used for something else, then the later action was to blame.

What is IQ?

I have had many so called clever people ask me why something is not working today, when it was working perfectly yesterday. Not so sure about the scales but I do believe that printers sometimes have a chip inside so that it only prints out so many pages or only lasts for so long. So you have no option but to go out and buy another printer, so maybe the same principle applies to many electronic items.

Originally the focus was on mathematics, later language and other skills were added.

Then it dawned that there also are very different skills, and EQ emotional intelligence was introduced.

Ask that question to an Amazone indian, and I predict he will not be able to answer.

There are Culture Fair IQ tests that try their best to measure IQ without using language. One example is Raven's Progressive Matrices:

https://www.raventest.net/

A bash-one's-own-partner thread. Bashing with a twist.

I would have been happier if my partner had told me the scales were not working without blaming anyone and we would have gone out and bought some more scales this morning during our Saturday shopping trip. But as it is we did not buy any and she will have to manage without scales for a while. I could say that she broke the scales as she weighs herself many times a day, but as everyone knows Thais are never to blame.Probably this is more about male/female relationships as most men have difficulty understanding women and I guess it is wrong for me to restrict my theories just to Thais.

Exactly - an excellent analogy - put a Western city dweller in his/ her environment would last a few days.

The whole concept is flawed- physiologically ever race is exactly the same- there are differences due to adaptations to the environment - but deep down the same.

Having taught complex biological science for many years, it is silly to suggest that some people do not have talents- whether it be in science or perhaps the arts.

But to suggest as in the OP that certain races and countries ( Thai is not a race) have a lower IQ - a construct apparently invented by the American military is nonsense

What is IQ?

I have had many so called clever people ask me why something is not working today, when it was working perfectly yesterday. Not so sure about the scales but I do believe that printers sometimes have a chip inside so that it only prints out so many pages or only lasts for so long. So you have no option but to go out and buy another printer, so maybe the same principle applies to many electronic items.

Yes.

All electronic appliances have a self destruct button that is linked through the internet to the manufacturer.

When sales are down, manufacturers simply activate the link.

If ever North Korea or the Klingon Empire manage to hack these links, we will be in big trouble.

What is IQ?

Yes.

All electronic appliances have a self destruct button that is linked through the internet to the manufacturer.

If ever North Korea or the Klingon Empire manage to hack these links, we will be in big trouble.

EDITED:

If you needed proof, here it is.

The self destruct button of my laptop was activated, resulting in a double posting - in order to discredit me.

My prime suspect is a poster called Naam.

Edited by nidieunimaitre

Yes.

I knew it!! And there's me thinking it was yet another Conspiracy Theory.

Thanks for clearing that up.smile.png

laugh.png

There are Culture Fair IQ tests that try their best to measure IQ without using language. One example is Raven's Progressive Matrices:

https://www.raventest.net/

A fine example of a biased IQ test.

1/ The test relies on visual skills.

2/ The test does not include emotional, artistic, social, teaching etc skills.

And please note: The site asks you us not to spread or discuss the questions. Reason: all IQ tests can be cheated.