Migrating to Thailand (a 2nd go)

fang37

If you had the opportunity & could turn back the hands of time, would you do the same again?

What would you do differently?

What would you do the same?

Regrets?

eg age, $$$, location, women, activities, visa

For some migrating to Thailand is not on the table as they have a family and children.

It appears there is a notion that Thailand has poor educational system (and so it may be) ....and therefore many decide to leave Thailand for better "pastures"....ie they repatriate, as they believe its best for their family.

I would suggest that education starts with the "family"....so no matter what educational system children are raised in, its the family's (Parents) responsibility and obligation to further teach their children. Sadly many families religate this responsibility to the "system" and therefore forgo the "best" education a child can get ....The education that a family themselves can give to the children (Home schooled). Children left on their own will do what they do best....play.

Aside from education, Thailand, in my opinion, is a wonderful enviroment to live in (good people, low cost of living, great weather, great food ...etc.)..so....YES....I would do the same....NO regrets....I ask myself daily.."Why didn't I come to Thailand earlier?"..

Originally, I came to Thailand in 1993 - 1 month research. It took another 10 years to complete a formal relocation.

It was easy to choose location within Thailand ie North. Came back to CNX. After 6 mths, bought a condo; explored the scenery (I mean the fairer sex). Met many very "real" women ranging in age from 19 to 40+.

A couple of years later, I met a lady & we finally moved out of CNX into a house - 150km from CNX.

Insufficient investigation -

Nth & NE LOS locations eg Chiang Rai

Visa - I had the $$$ but thought that a retirement visa was the Rolls Royce model. In hindsight, an investment visa would have been far better. Unable to purchase land in my own name & not ready o hand over a substantial sum of a lady, I would have explored the "grey" area - purchase land in a company if the investment did not permit. would have pursue PR more actively.

I would have built a medium-largish home with a view over a lake. Design & interior decoration would have been Japanese/Chinese.

More intensive Thai language study.

Premium health insurance.

More intensive spiritual study. I have been to India 3 times but not serious about this.

I would have had more intensive Buddhist studies rather than mere reading of literature.

I have been to many Asian countries but not Japan, Korea or Taiwan. I would have researched rural Japan & Korea as potential retirement destinations.

Take practical golf lessons rather than read books

Greater community contribution in an informal way

Things that still piss me off in LOS -

Open corruption

Occasionally, some local traders esp tuktuk drivers try to take advantage - frustrating.

SUMMARY

I am comfortable with my lot in life here - it is a continuing journey.

For some migrating to Thailand is not on the table as they have a family and children.

It appears there is a notion that Thailand has poor educational system (and so it may be) ....and therefore many decide to leave Thailand for better "pastures"....ie they repatriate, as they believe its best for their family.

I would suggest that education starts with the "family"....so no matter what educational system children are raised in, its the family's (Parents) responsibility and obligation to further teach their children. Sadly many families religate this responsibility to the "system" and therefore forgo the "best" education a child can get ....The education that a family themselves can give to the children (Home schooled). Children left on their own will do what they do best....play.

Aside from education, Thailand, in my opinion, is a wonderful enviroment to live in (good people, low cost of living, great weather, great food ...etc.)..so....YES....I would do the same....NO regrets....I ask myself daily.."Why didn't I come to Thailand earlier?"..

I am not the best father, nor do I ever expect an award for what I am. However, I do spend time with my children with their school work, and I ensure that they complete it.

This school work, of course, is in English. If it were in Thai, then I would not be able to help them. This is why I would NEVER raise my children in Thailand. Yes, the schools in Thailand are perhaps far from competent, but what matters most at the end of the day is whether the children actually have an ounce of knowledge.

I've rolled my dice in life, and unfortunately, while in Thailand, I do not meet anybody with whom I can compare as a peer with my level of education or profession. So far, that has been okay, because when I do come to Thailand, it is for a 'break' (i.e. vacation) from the norm of my everyday life.

Someday, though, if I retire in Thailand, things will have to change with respect to my environment. I can no longer just hang around the wife's family in the middle of no where. Even though I have a college degree (in Computer Engineering), I doubt that I would be able to teach at a University, to give any sense of purpose to my time in Thailand. There's just no need for my knowledge here. Again, I've seemed to circle back to the level of education in Thailand.

I would suggest that education starts with the "family"....so no matter what educational system children are raised in, its the family's (Parents) responsibility and obligation to further teach their children. Sadly many families religate this responsibility to the "system" and therefore forgo the "best" education a child can get ....The education that a family themselves can give to the children (Home schooled). Children left on their own will do what they do best..

I am not the best father, nor do I ever expect an award for what I am. However, I do spend time with my children with their school work, and I ensure that they complete it.

This school work, of course, is in English. If it were in Thai, then I would not be able to help them. This is why I would NEVER raise my children in Thailand. Yes, the schools in Thailand are perhaps far from competent, but what matters most at the end of the day is whether the children actually have an ounce of knowledge.

I've rolled my dice in life, and unfortunately, while in Thailand, I do not meet anybody with whom I can compare as a peer with my level of education or profession. So far, that has been okay, because when I do come to Thailand, it is for a 'break' (i.e. vacation) from the norm of my everyday life.

Someday, though, if I retire in Thailand, things will have to change with respect to my environment. I can no longer just hang around the wife's family in the middle of no where. Even though I have a college degree (in Computer Engineering), I doubt that I would be able to teach at a University, to give any sense of purpose to my time in Thailand. There's just no need for my knowledge here. Again, I've seemed to circle back to the level of education in Thailand.

I empathise. Although I have no children in LOS, I do have marital obligations.

I do NOT prefer the Nth to BKK or Pattaya lifestyle.

But, occupying one's time productively has been a BIG challenge. I doubt that I am alone in this predicament. I could return to my native country but I have analysed that such is not a solution.

I do not get great fulfillment from contributing to the community but this activity has been the best I can come up with.

In the end...."real education" is "life" itself.....street smarts. We can only give guidance and the tools to deal with life to our children.

My wife for example has only had a formal education up to 5th grade BUT she has a Phd in life. Raised a family of 3 on her own (til she met me), worked 3 jobs to do so AND at 47 learned to speak English rather well (with my help). Have now set the family up in a boutique resort on the beach ( so I'm not "just hanging around the wife's family in the middle of no where") AND it gives me something to do besides posting on TVthumbsup.gif

Edited by beachproperty

In the end...."real education" is "life" itself.....street smarts. We can only give guidance and the tools to deal with life to our children.

My wife for example has only had a formal education up to 5th grade BUT she has a Phd in life. Raised a family of 3 on her own (til she met me), worked 3 jobs to do so AND at 47 learned to speak English rather well (with my help). Have now set the family up in a boutique resort on the beach ( so I'm not "just hanging around the wife's family in the middle of no where") AND it gives me something to do besides posting on TVthumbsup.gif

"Guidance and tools" for the children? Surely, one could do better than that.

How about giving the children a good school environment where they can go to learn more than just basic, common sense, street smarts, so that they can succeed in life.

I do not not want my children to work at a McDonalds, much less at at McBoutique.

I'm not trying to put you, or your wife down. I applaud what you have done to make your life something that you are proud of, but it is just not for me or my wife. My family and I will return to the US tomorrow, where my wife, with her mere 2 years worth of Thai university education, will return to her job as a florist. Her English is good enough to work in the US, and interface with NES customers.

I do not want my children to aspire to a job that my wife has. I know they can do much, much, better.

Edited by Gumballl

How about giving the children a good school environment where they can go to learn more than just basic, common sense, street smarts, so that they can succeed in life.

I do not not want my children to work at a McDonalds, much less at at McBoutique.

I have met MANY people who are "extremely" successful in life and business who are not "school smart" but who are "street smart" .....learned more from life than they did from school.

Personally although I have 2 graduate degrees I learned they were worth nothing other than something to get me in the door ....the real learning took place on the job.

AND after doing that job I left after 5 years .....boring and mundane ...to "live life". Although I made less at the time of the decision, my quality of life improved 1000 fold.

Also I now have time to do the things I like ....a recent example of Yard Art I am creating

post-190189-0-20132300-1438495336_thumb.

Edited by beachproperty

I'm not trying to put you, or your wife down. I applaud what you have done to make your life something that you are proud of, but it is just not for me or my wife. My family and I will return to the US tomorrow, where my wife, with her mere 2 years worth of Thai university education, will return to her job as a florist. Her English is good enough to work in the US, and interface with NES customers.

I do not want my children to aspire to a job that my wife has. I know they can do much, much, better.

Wouldn't it be better for your children if you allowed them to aspire to that which they want to do ....not what you want them to do.

I've moved in and out of Thailand a number of times over the last 20 years (always working in Thailand or moving to lie and work elsewhere).

I've enjoy ever single one of those sojourns; in Thailand and elsewhere.

I'm glad I never chose to stay in Thailand full time, I and my family would have missed so much that we have enjoyed elsewhere.

Call it the best of all worlds.

Wouldn't it be better for your children if you allowed them to aspire to that which they want to do ....not what you want them to do.

Their aspirations are better served in the west, not in some village school.

Opportunities are better in the west..the education system is inadequate in general. If you have the option it should be taken.

Opportunities are better in the west..the education system is inadequate in general. If you have the option it should be taken.

West vs Thailand for opportunity......now that would make a nice topic!

Opportunity is where you find it and what you make of it. They are everywhere....even in Thailand!

Some people are given opportunities BUT they just don't know how to act on it. Personally I believe Thailand has just as many "opportunities" as the West .....fact of the matter is that My wife and I have been able to take advantage such opportunities and make a good life here.

Even now a new opportunity has presented itself to me .....Garden Art!

post-190189-0-58821200-1438517417_thumb.

Edited by beachproperty

West vs Thailand for opportunity......now that would make a nice topic!

Opportunity is where you find it and what you make of it. They are everywhere....even in Thailand!

Some people are given opportunities BUT they just don't know how to act on it. Personally I believe Thailand has just as many "opportunities" as the West .....fact of the matter is that My wife and I have been able to take advantage such opportunities and make a good life here.

Even now a new opportunity has presented itself to me .....Garden Art!

attachicon.gifsculpture 1.jpg

I am talking about children not adults. In fact your wife had to marry a foreigner to achieve her potential..doesn't say much for the education or environment previously.

You have a point for adults. I came here at 21 and was later offered opportunities and that was back in the early 80's , but it was because of my qualifications..as you so rightly point out they get the door open. Those doors don't open for many..you also need tenacity, character etc..not just an education.

Unfortunately Thailand is set- up to benefit the better off..

I am talking about children not adults. In fact your wife had to marry a foreigner to achieve her potential..doesn't say much for the education or environment previously.

You have a point for adults. I came here at 21 and was later offered opportunities and that was back in the early 80's , but it was because of my qualifications..as you so rightly point out they get the door open. Those doors don't open for many..you also need tenacity, character etc..not just an education.

Unfortunately Thailand is set- up to benefit the better off..

As to your first point......My Wife....Although her "formal" education was limited ....don't mistake that for being "stupid" ....As for enviroment ....she has a heart of "gold" (she is the most generous, loving, caring person I have ever met)....a product of her enviroment? I think so! ...as for the women I met in the Big cities of America .....all had hearts of "tin", always looking for that retirement train of a husband (sound like some women in Thailand? possibly)

As for Children....They are just that...innocent, fragile little beings that need nuturing and guidence. I believe that can be acheived anywhere (Thailand or the West)....just depends on the parents.

You make it sound like if you are born into a poor family in the West that nothing but opportunity awaits you when you grow up. Rose tinted glasses? The west is set up similarly to Thailand ...the Rich get richer and the poor get poorer.....opportunities for the rich and welfare for the poor ....Only difference is that in the west the poor get MORE welfare (which, in my opinion, is mostly wasted)

^^

How many times do we hear the same old story "my wife is different"

How many times did it work out "my wife wasn't different and I lost a fortune"

None of my wives have been different, they would all strip me bare given the chance.

Luck saved me in the UK, hopefully her not having the chance will save me in Thailand.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

^^

Never said my wife was different....she is who she is ....(not sure what you're trying to infer ...as EVERYBODY is different)....and luckily for me we've been together for 10+ years and if I "lose a fortune"....so what! its only money....I've had the happiest 10+ years of my life (of course with the occasional bumps that every normal relationship has)

Sorry to hear you haven't been as fortunate

Edited by beachproperty

^^

Never said my wife was different....she is who she is ....(not sure what you're trying to infer ...as EVERYBODY is different)....and luckily for me we've been together for 10+ years and if I "lose a fortune"....so what! its only money....I've had the happiest 10+ years of my life (of course with the occasional bumps that every normal relationship has)

I was 'fortunate' for 25 years ...... 15 more than you ..... until I wasn't (after around 30 years).

It's not about 'if' but 'when'.

And after the 'when' you usually look back on the whole thing as a waste of your life.

I have also been 'fortunate' in Thailand for 6 years.

Makes your 10 year boast seem a bit feeble in comparison, don't you think.

Sometimes you get lucky and one of you dies before the 'when' event happens.

I'm hoping to get 'lucky' this time round.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

^^

I was fortunate for 25 years ...... 15 more than you ..... until I wasn't.

It's not about 'if' but 'when'.

And after the 'when' you usually look back on the whole thing as a waste of your life.

Sometimes you get lucky and one of you dies before the 'when' event happens.

You have a sad way of looking at ....and maybe rightfully so...it's your life and relationships ...not mine.

I was married 3 times before to western women with no regrets ...it just didn't work out...That's life ....you move on....I have never looked back and thought "the whole thing was a waste of time"

Guess I'm an optimist....I as always look forward biggrin.png

But I believe you are getting OFF TOPIC and trying to pick my personal life apart as you believe I am boasting......Well......just stating the facts as I see them...

Edited by beachproperty

I do not get great fulfillment from contributing to the community but this activity has been the best I can come up with.

What activity? Posting on TV?

In fact, I have done only a reasonable amount recently - illness has constrained activities.

Assistance at a few temples - mainly English tuition - yes I am aware of WP requirements

Assistance at old peoples' home - $$$ & just reassuring them

Sponsor a junior football team - jerseys

Scholarships at a university

Acquisition of Buddhist literature from overseas for distribution at local wats.

Donations to local charitable organisations.

I did form a foundation to assist the local needy. After a relative short time, I closed it - too many procedural hurdles. Really, you need a substantial sum of $$$ in order to make such a project viable. Lesson learnt.

I honestly believe our way of live is already written when we are born.we have to master certain challenges and if we don't we will encounter them (maybe in another form) again and again...until we master them. I made quite a couple of mistakes in my past but I am grateful for them because I could learn out of them.

My only regret is that I haven't met my wife earlier...

but another thing I learned in my life is:

everything in life comes at the right moment,though be patient....

Debate/discuss the topic not the poster.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.