Making a difference - the fight against predjudice and racism

mmh8

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gave a literal translation of 'khon dang chat' - in practical terms, it can best be translated as 'not a Thai person'. So a person from Lao PDR (note no sea border) is khon dang chat.

kon = person

dtang = different/other

chat = country/nation

literal translation 'person different country' = foreigner

Not sure what you're going on about, maybe you don't know the meaning of 'literal'?

Where did you get 'overseas' from?

He might be British; we generally refer to Johnny Foreigners as coming from overseas, to distinguish them from our compatriots from other countries within the British Isles

SC

seems I should clarify, they were shouting at me when I was a couple of foot away, I repsponded in load voice equivalent to woman and child to each in turn. twas a lesson, not abuse.

when in Europe I do not see a chinese person and shout out Chink and start pointing and getting my child to point at them, if I see a Japanese I do not jump up and down shouting jap, look at the fukker

if I see an Indian I do not jump up and down faking an orgasm ( as my wife likes to to get me too hurry up, but sheesh 5 seconds 10seconds whats the difference) shouting Indian, fuckkking Indian pointing as if it is the stragengst thing I've ever seen

If I see a black Madagascan I do not jump up and down screaming Madagascan .

so why should this woman shout farang at me, and call my boy a half cast and teach her child to do the same when other parents come up and say things like oh he is cute where are you from? oh we've visited etc. it is not culture shock, this is racism that is ingrained into the pineapple people. and worse they activly promote the bigotry in children and defend it by saying we love farang. if you loved a foreigner you would of at least asked what bit of foreigndom they come from, I do frequently especially when I meet new people, I don't just point at them and shout shit Indian Indian lkike a fukking lemon thats been squeezed too hard.

This is racism, it is ingrained and the sooner you lot realise it the better for us all. if a thai you've seen hundreds of times comes into your seven eleven every day do you always ask what dopes the pinepaple want even when you know that pineapples name? well do ya?

Edited by mmh8

OP why didnt you just tell her politely in front of her child that what she was doing was rude and explain why?

Thais in general really do not pick up well on sarcasm. I have seen time and again even simple jokes go over their head.

simple the lesson would not have been learned and the child would not have understood. this way got them thinking, there would have been no thought involved otherwise. simple cause and effect,

seems I should clarify, they were shouting at me when I was a couple of foot away, I repsponded in load voice equivalent to woman and child to each in turn. twas a lesson, not abuse.

when in Europe I do not see a chinese person and shout out Chink and start pointing and getting my child to point at them, if I see a Japanese I do not jump up and down shouting jap, look at the fukker

if I see an Indian I do not jump up and down faking an orgasm ( as my wife likes to to get me too hurry up, but sheesh 5 seconds 10seconds whats the difference) shouting Indian, fuckkking Indian pointing as if it is the stragengst thing I've ever seen

so why should this woman shout farang at me, and call my boy a half cast and teach her child to do the same when other parents come up and say things like oh he is cute where are you from? oh we've visited etc. it is not culture shock, this is racism that is ingrained into the pineapple people. and worse they activly promote the bigotry in children and defend it by saying we love farang. if you loved a foreigner you would of at least asked what bit of foreigndom they come from, I do frequently especially when I meet new people, I don't just point at them and shout shit Indian Indian lkike a fukking lemon thats been squeezed too hard.

This is racism, it is ingrained and the sooner you lot realise it the better for us all. if a thai you've seen hundreds of times comes into your seven eleven every day do you always ask what dopes the pinepaple want even when you know that pineapples name? well do ya?

if you had any sense at all, you wouldn't be shouting at all but teach them something with a normal voice. then you would have been the better person. now you presented a picture to all the other parents and children including your own that you can't behave.

Too cowardly to write the correct ethnic equivalent insults!

No respect from me (unless you come from a country called Farangistan).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I still don't understand the pineapple bit. Why call them a pineapple, as opposed to a tomato or something? (Serious question)

Because there is a fruit called "farang".

https://goo.gl/V75Aju

How many Thai's have you seen with skin the colour of the inside of a pineapple?

Shouldn't we be calling them the name of a fruit with brown flesh?

I still don't understand the pineapple bit. Why call them a pineapple, as opposed to a tomato or something? (Serious question)

How many Thai's have you seen with skin the colour of the inside of a pineapple?

Shouldn't we be calling them the name of a fruit with brown flesh?

Hmm... VRB (very ripe banana) :)

Duh! Yes I know that smile.png

Maybe I am thinking too deeply about the significance of a pineapple ...

Well you never know how many times or even ever someone has been in Thailand despite having 7K+ posts ;)

Actually its a Guava thats called "farang", pineapple is Sopporot (spelling?)

I'm aware that pineapple is sapparot(d). What is surprising is that many "experienced" of Thailand do not know the "joke" about say.... children point at you saying "farang" and you respond by pointing at them and saying "sapparot".

Duh! Yes I know that smile.png

Maybe I am thinking too deeply about the significance of a pineapple ...

Maybe the OP heard the expression "mai pen sapparot" and threw it as an insult without really knowing what is meaning!?!

Edited by lazygourmet

OP why didnt you just tell her politely in front of her child that what she was doing was rude and explain why?

Thais in general really do not pick up well on sarcasm. I have seen time and again even simple jokes go over their head.

simple the lesson would not have been learned and the child would not have understood. this way got them thinking, there would have been no thought involved otherwise. simple cause and effect,

I think you're flattering the people that you argued with.

I doubt they thought at all, beyond "arse".

Simple people need things spelt out to them slowly, carefully, in their own language, using simple vocabulary. Then, I suppose there is a small chance that they might understand. But I doubt it.

SC

What is surprising is that many "experienced" of Thailand do not know the "joke" about say.... children point at you saying "farang" and you respond by pointing at them and saying "sapparot".

Yes I know that 'joke', but in all of 14 years of living in Thailand, no child has ever pointed at me and called me 'farang' smile.png Encouraged by their mother, they have waied me respectfully, even though I am not known to them. Must be the company that I keep..

Edited by simon43

What is surprising is that many "experienced" of Thailand do not know the "joke" about say.... children point at you saying "farang" and you respond by pointing at them and saying "sapparot".

Yes I know that 'joke', but in all of 14 years of living in Thailand, no child has ever pointed at me and called me 'farang' smile.png Encouraged by their mother, they have waied me respectfully, even though I am not known to them. Must be the company that I keep..

I've encountered several mothers pointing and shouting 'farang', I'm guessing you don't have Thai children you collect from school every day.

So yes, it's the company you keep (or not), in this case mothers outside schools.

Not so much the children though, I'm thinking the internet, TV and Hollywood movies is making them less xenophobic than their parents.

I'm guessing you don't have Thai children you collect from school every day.

I usually do the 'anuban run' most days. And I can guess a couple of reasons why the Thai mothers don't say 'farang'.

It could be because I'm so terribly old, that they are in awe and respect smile.png

But more likely, it is because I live in this locality for 14 years and most Thais recognise me by my uniform as the police volunteer who helps foreign tourists at the airport

Yes, being a TPV is something that the Thais in my locality respect...

Too cowardly to write the correct ethnic equivalent insults!

No respect from me (unless you come from a country called Farangistan).

to tell you the truth I am not sure what the correct one is? I got chink yeah? I don't think much about the ethnic equivalent, its not the skin colour, cos my skin ain't green, I'm pale white down to my hole which is a different colour. I thought pineapple is shouting the name of a fruit at someone , not an ethnic slur, since my boy copies me know when people say it to him?

Some people are just not really suited for living in Thailand.

That is probably the truest statement on this entire forum.

Yes it's quite true, but people like the OP provide comic relief - as long as you don't have to deal with them in person.