New Visa Rules Confirmed

The gov't has already said it could take a year to get an e-visa system to work in Thailand where you get clearance in advance <so the airlines can KNOW you will be granted entry>. You might want to go back to those threads and see where Gov't <Immigration> bigwigs have acknowledged this issue.

Until then that leaves it to Airlines to deal with the problem of how many days you have been in Thailand in the last 180 days <and how long you are staying>. Since an airline is required to deal with you if you are denied entry to a country based upon posted rules, this is gonna be an issue.

I foresee tourists without a visa being denied boarding if they have less than 30 days left and no onward ticket.

There really is some uncertainty here then. If there isn't a system which includes every port of entry into Thailand and does it real time, then someone who flies in and out of Thailand weekly could easily stay much longer than 90 days in one 180 day period. How would the airlines check-in person know or take the time to calculate and for that matter how would that person even know, especially if he also goes in and out of a couple of other countries per week also. Could have so many stamps in passport that it would be a challenge for anybody to figure that out. Obviously I could keep a running tab, but why would I bother. It seems to me that if you're flying in and out, the 90 day in 180 day issue will not affect you. In theory it should but in reality, I don't see how it would. Perhaps this has been clarified somewhere but I haven't seen this explained. If somebody could comment on this, I'd appreciate it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they stay 90 days then they must leave for 90 days before they are entitled to another visa on arrival. They can, however, go and request a tourist visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad and come back into the country,” he said.

so visa runs * 3, followed by 2 tourist visas.

or

tourist visas ad infinitum

repeat

....assuming that sequential tourist visas are freely on demand (and payment of course).

I some how doubt they will give out the visas at the embassy willy nilly. Otherwise it's a pointless excercise. They'll take a look at how long you've stay and if excessive they'll refuse you a visa - simple and removing the hassle from the borders.

Several times it has been stated that the POINT is to have people apply for visas and be checked against the blacklist ....

The gov't has already said it could take a year to get an e-visa system to work in Thailand where you get clearance in advance <so the airlines can KNOW you will be granted entry>. You might want to go back to those threads and see where Gov't <Immigration> bigwigs have acknowledged this issue.

Until then that leaves it to Airlines to deal with the problem of how many days you have been in Thailand in the last 180 days <and how long you are staying>. Since an airline is required to deal with you if you are denied entry to a country based upon posted rules, this is gonna be an issue.

I foresee tourists without a visa being denied boarding if they have less than 30 days left and no onward ticket.

There really is some uncertainty here then. If there isn't a system which includes every port of entry into Thailand and does it real time, then someone who flies in and out of Thailand weekly could easily stay much longer than 90 days in one 180 day period. How would the airlines check-in person know or take the time to calculate and for that matter how would that person even know, especially if he also goes in and out of a couple of other countries per week also. Could have so many stamps in passport that it would be a challenge for anybody to figure that out. Obviously I could keep a running tab, but why would I bother. It seems to me that if you're flying in and out, the 90 day in 180 day issue will not affect you. In theory it should but in reality, I don't see how it would. Perhaps this has been clarified somewhere but I haven't seen this explained. If somebody could comment on this, I'd appreciate it.

If you are travelling on a visa-exemption then it DOES count. The airlines <being liable for your transportation costs> could easily deny you boarding. The point is there IS no system yet. When you arrive at an airport they WILL know how many days you have been here. Already some airlines will not board a person without an onward ticket. This will be a problem and I will search the thread where the #2 Immigration guy said it would be.

from this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83916

About the airline topic:

The Immigration Department know that there will be a huge problem with the airlines. In short, under the new rule any airline that flies on BKK doesn't know when a passenger is up to his 'quota'. Under IATA rules, the airline is responsible for the passenger.

The Immigration knows this and is working hard to come up with a solution. They already have some things in progress. (electronic visa and/or a system that airlines have to sent their passenger list upfront to BKK. Something that is being done in other countries like the USA). We heard this also from Mr. Suppachai, during the interview in Sabah Cafe and Cinema. Mr. Suppachai stated very clearly that they have 90 days to come up with a solution. (refering to the 90 days rule, starting from oct 1st).

It doesn't make any sense to speculate about how Immigration is going to solve this problem, since we don't know what it is going to be. What i wrote above, was told by Mr Suppachai in answer to our questions.

One more thing: Mr Suppachai stated very clearly that the days will be counted. The Immigration system is capable of counting the days. For example: you fly up and down to BKK in the next 3 months. Being only a couple days or weeks in the country. It is possible you can have for example 5 stamps but still be less than 90 days in the country.

For a full report on the visa regulations topic, please read the report from the meeting that was held at Sabah Cafe and Cinema. Visit khaosarnroad.com.

Edited by jdinasia

I still don';t understand why these counties don't just make availalbe a no bullsh1t one year visa for a resonable price...seems more sensible or is asia just in capable of doing things the easy way...

I think the Asian way (where at least it's feasible to stay that long), is better than countries such as the US, UK, other EU countries, where you're only allowed to spend 180 days in the country as a tourist each year.

Admittedly, I wish Thailand issued visas that lasted longer than 1 year. (My Thai wife has a 10 year visa for the US, and ILR for the UK, so doesn't need a visa for either any time soon. - yet I have to get my new Non-O for Thailand every year.)

[

Pol Lt Col Pipat Pongpan, an Inspector at Phuket Immigration Office, told the Gazette, “Anyone who has already stayed 90 days on visa-on-arrival permits does not need to worry. We will start counting the days from October 1.

can come in and out of the country as many times as they like with a visa on arrival, but can stay for a maximum of 90 days in any six month period.

“Extensions above the 90-day limit may be granted in exceptional cases, such as if the tourist is suffering from an illness or involved in a lawsuit,” he added.

Wow, you can almost HEAR the bowels untwisting as people read this.

Especially the 1st part.

Well it IS nice to find someone who can be clear!

[if you are travelling on a visa-exemption then it DOES count. The airlines <being liable for your transportation costs> could easily deny you boarding. The point is there IS no system yet. When you arrive at an airport they WILL know how many days you have been here. Already some airlines will not board a person without an onward ticket. This will be a problem and I will search the thread where the #2 Immigration guy said it would be.

from this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83916

About the airline topic:

The Immigration Department know that there will be a huge problem with the airlines. In short, under the new rule any airline that flies on BKK doesn't know when a passenger is up to his 'quota'. Under IATA rules, the airline is responsible for the passenger.

The Immigration knows this and is working hard to come up with a solution. They already have some things in progress. (electronic visa and/or a system that airlines have to sent their passenger list upfront to BKK. Something that is being done in other countries like the USA). We heard this also from Mr. Suppachai, during the interview in Sabah Cafe and Cinema. Mr. Suppachai stated very clearly that they have 90 days to come up with a solution. (refering to the 90 days rule, starting from oct 1st).

It doesn't make any sense to speculate about how Immigration is going to solve this problem, since we don't know what it is going to be. What i wrote above, was told by Mr Suppachai in answer to our questions.

One more thing: Mr Suppachai stated very clearly that the days will be counted. The Immigration system is capable of counting the days. For example: you fly up and down to BKK in the next 3 months. Being only a couple days or weeks in the country. It is possible you can have for example 5 stamps but still be less than 90 days in the country.

For a full report on the visa regulations topic, please read the report from the meeting that was held at Sabah Cafe and Cinema. Visit khaosarnroad.com.

Thanks for your input jdinasia. Sounds like there is no explanation available yet. BTW, I wonder if you made a typo in your first sentance above. Did you mean WILL or WILL NOT know. i.e. if there is no system, they they WILL NOT know. Correct?

Additionally I wonder how they will calculate the days. i.e. if you come in at 00:01am (1 minute after midnight) on a Monday morning and leave at 11:59pm on Wednesday that will only count for one day in country. Or will it count as 3 days? Under HK rules, that would could as one day since a day is classified as from midnight to midnight. I wonder if Thailand will follow similar guidelines. Any input on that?

can anybody clarify for me- no new 3million baht investment visa's being issued after 1st October,

will this apply to the 10million baht investment visa? if they are still an option after 1st October where can i find more information about their requirements ? any help much appreciated

If I arrive in Bangkok without a visa, can I now stay for up to 90 days, if I'm not wrong before this was only for 30 days???????

Zaytoon

yes IF you hold a passport from Peru, Brazil or South Korea (and possibly Chile)....because of special bilateral treaties between those countries and Thailand (referring to ordinary passport not diplomatic passports) Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Edited by trajan

New visa rules confirmed

“No new investment visas will be issued after October 1. However, existing visas in this category may be extended if the holder still has funds of 3 million baht and is still doing business in Thailand,” Col Pipat said.

I have been trying to get assistance with this from Subelt since Monday. I have called twice and been promised callbacks, but still waiting for exact details on how they help with this.

I got a call from a man later in the day after the first call I made, but he was not much help. It was aparent after a couple of minutes that he was not too knowledgable about the procedure, and he then told me he was responsible for business work and nothing to do with the visa department. He told me he would get someone from that section to call me back in the morning - nobody called.

I rang back later on Tuesday and explained that I was still waiting for my call to be returned. I also explained what the gentleman had said, and told the girl on the phone that he sounded perhaps of Indian origin, since his accent sounded like he was from that region. She told me they had no Indian staff, but she would get someone to call back. Nobody called. Then the Coup started that evening.

I know about the Coup etc, but 2 promises of callbacks and 4 days still waiting for assistance is not what I expected, especially considering the posts being made by Sunbelt about the urgency of getting this application in before 1st October.

Still waiting. Seems like I will have to give up and do it myself :o

Edited by cyborgx

It's a bit disconcerting and potentially confusing for a Thai Immigrations official to be talking about "visa on arrival" when in fact what (I hope!) he is talking about is visa-exempt stamps. A true Visa On Arrival is an actual visa, and doesn't even fall under the 90-days-in-six-months scheme.

this is GOOD news.......allthough i was wondering what would be best to do?

....I will be in thailand in january and leave in june this will include me going into neighbouring countries for about 6/7 weeks also.I will probably be in thailand for a total of 3 and a half months so on the 90 day VOA rule id still be short of 2 weeks.Does the 90 day rule only apply to VOA's? Is it possible to get a multiple entry visa from home first? Its my first visit and im abit up in the air about visa's at the moment any help would be apprietiated.........thanks

Bloody ripper Rita now on with life. Out after 90 going to get me a non imm for 90 hmmm then back with my babe after she has a 3 month culture shock in my country maybe then the dust will have settled with the tank bosses and the polies hmmm could be a good scene by then.

Cheers Thailand.

New visa rules confirmed

“No new investment visas will be issued after October 1. However, existing visas in this category may be extended if the holder still has funds of 3 million baht and is still doing business in Thailand,” Col Pipat said.

I have been trying to get assistance with this from Subelt since Monday. I have called twice and been promised callbacks, but still waiting for exact details on how they help with this.

I got a call from a man later in the day after the first call I made, but he was not much help. It was aparent after a couple of minutes that he was not too knowledgable about the procedure, and he then told me he was responsible for business work and nothing to do with the visa department. He told me he would get someone from that section to call me back in the morning - nobody called.

I rang back later on Tuesday and explained that I was still waiting for my call to be returned. I also explained what the gentleman had said, and told the girl on the phone that he sounded perhaps of Indian origin, since his accent sounded like he was from that region. She told me they had no Indian staff, but she would get someone to call back. Nobody called. Then the Coup started that evening.

I know about the Coup etc, but 2 promises of callbacks and 4 days still waiting for assistance is not what I expected, especially considering the posts being made by Sunbelt about the urgency of getting this application in before 1st October.

Still waiting. Seems like I will have to give up and do it myself :o

Cyborgx, I'm certainly not the expert on this but I did respond to you and advised you on exactly what happened to me at Suan Plu immegration with regards to the investment visa (in another thread).

Also I have to say, English fluency isn't great there. There are a limited number of people that can really speak English well. They are super busy, if you want to understand it. I would advise you to go there first thing in the morning and bring a translater with you. I believe if you wait for call-backs, you could miss this window of opportunity.

If 3mil isn't a problem for you and things are prepared. You can get your non-imm 0 in a day. Again, you shouldn't take my word for this because I'm just a layman but you've only got 6 working days left and waiting for a call-back is dangerous. Hop on over to Suan Plu and get the info from the horses mouth. It'll take you a day to get the 3mil investment thing together if you haven't already, you need a letter from the bank stating the funds are from abroad. The non-imm O visa is fast, an hour or so but all these things take time. I would prepare as much as possible as soon as possible and move on it. Good luck.

What would be the options open to someone in this scenario?

You're putting in a fair days work teaching English, but your employer hasn't done what's necessary to get you a work permit.

Lots of people are in this boat and, I guess, are border hopping ad-infinitum until the school performs and a work permit gets you legal.

Is there now a serious risk of hundreds, maybe thousands of teachers being denied entry on Jan. 1st?

:o

You're putting in a fair days work teaching English, but your employer hasn't done what's necessary to get you a work permit.

Lots of people are in this boat and, I guess, are border hopping ad-infinitum until the school performs and a work permit gets you legal.

Is there now a serious risk of hundreds, maybe thousands of teachers being denied entry on Jan. 1st?

No, if they apply for a tourist visa before arrival, or a non immigrant o visa, though truth be known that really they should have the correct visa for teaching here, and are not helping by taking jobs where the correct visa is not in place.

Ok, So I've been Visa running from 30 days after my arrival on July 2nd. Just to clarify.... Can I DEFINITELY now stay here till 1st Jan 2007? If I do Visa runs?

I know this is flogging a dead horse, repeating ground, but can this source be trusted??? Do I stake my life in Thailand for the next few months on this information?

Thanks

Phil

PM me if need be.

Ok, So I've been Visa running from 30 days after my arrival on July 2nd. Just to clarify.... Can I DEFINITELY now stay here till 1st Jan 2007? If I do Visa runs?

I know this is flogging a dead horse, repeating ground, but can this source be trusted??? Do I stake my life in Thailand for the next few months on this information?

Thanks

Phil

PM me if need be.

No

It depends on your 30 day stamps and the day you enter counts. so it depends .....

You are not eligible for a work permit on a visa exemption (30 day stamp)

However .... you are eligible for a change to a non-imm visa withing about 7 days from your last 30 day stamp IF you have the proper letters (job offer etc)

Edited by jdinasia

I understand and sympathise with your situation, Mr. Bean. Unfortunately, no matter how much you may have been duped, appeased, or otherwise lied to by the management at your school, your visa remains your own responsibility and you will be the one who suffers whatever inconvenience or penalties resulting from that. A year ago I could have agreed that it didn't really matter. Now it does- TiT!!!

Certain sectors of the education industry have shot themselves in the foot before, but those events were nothing compared to what's ahead now. If they continue to enforce work permit and visa requirements strictly, schools really will be full of students and no foreign teachers. The plus side is that this could fast track paperwork reform and a new, legal visa status for most TEFLers who have been off the record as hoards of upper and middle class parents complain. The minus side is that over the months of transition and confusion, many people may lose otherwise stable and desirable situations here.

Even if everything in the visa/work permit situation stablised immediately without change there would be a big loss in confidence about teaching here and the number of newbies would be falling. If there is a period of enforcement and transition, there will be a corresponding lack of trust even after the transition. I predict a relative scarcity of TEFLers in the near to medium future. It will help those of us who remain, but will cause many holding onto the fringes now to suffer.

"Steven"

The answers given so far say they start counting days from Oct1

nothing prior to Oct1 counts

you could (if you can show you are getting your $$ outside of Thailand ) talk with immigration and say you thought that your first stamp AFTER oct1 was the beginning

Edited by jdinasia

Certain sectors of the education industry have shot themselves in the foot before, but those events were nothing compared to what's ahead now.

We all know Thais are fond of watching tv so the latest rumour is that the education ministry are considering the mandatory subtitleing of all foreign movies instead of dubbing everything in the thai language. This would reduce the requirement of english teachers by about 75% :o

Edited by meom

Ummmmmm, I was just wondering....with this coup and all, maybe all this fuss and worry about visa runs and all the changes are no longer of concern. Seems to me that the minister for tourism is looking for another job now so lets just carry on as per normal.

Has anyone heard anything definate (since the coup???)

Cheers :o [/size]

Nepal: Not sure if I saw your response (appologise if I missed it, but there are so many threads and about 100 pages of posts on this subject in the last week).

Luckily I speak Thai (and read some too) so should not be a problem at Immigration, but thought I might use Sunbelt since they seem to have an established relationship with SuanPlu staff which always helps. I will wait and see if they respond by phone, post or PM here. If it's a post in a thread I'm likely to miss it. They seem very helpful, but I just don't seem to be able to even get a callback from their Visa people which is not a good omen.

Reading this...its still not too clear and want to be sure...i have tickets and passport (U.S.) to visit thailand and attend son's wedding...visit will around 10 days...do i need a VISA...i will have been out of the country for over a year...will not my passport do...apologize...i am so ignorant on this stuff...tks patrick(texas)

Thanks

Phil

PM me if need be.

Well, actually I doubt that this report *can* be trusted. Notice the date. 15 September. Now stop and think -- has there been any significant political event since then? I think (please note that this is my opinion only) many policies are going to be held up for review as to whether they are really good for the country or help Thaksin's friends. This one may very well be implemented, as with the review of foreigners holding land, but after past coups there has usually been a considerable change of direction.

I doubt that the coup leaders are going to start micro managing the immigration department and if they do, it will be for something of more relevance to their overall mission than foreigners. The rules are largely fair--no doubt some people will be sidelined, but no matter how you make a rule this happens. My best wishes are with those folks.