New Visa Rules Confirmed

New visa rules confirmed

PHUKET: -- New rules limiting stays in Thailand on “visas on arrival” to 90 days over any six month period were confirmed at a September 15 meeting of Immigration Department Chiefs in Bangkok. The new policy will go into effect on October 1.

In a related development, the Royal Thai Consulate in Penang, Malaysia, has stopped issuing double-entry tourist visas.

Pol Lt Col Pipat Pongpan, an Inspector at Phuket Immigration Office, told the Gazette, “Anyone who has already stayed 90 days on visa-on-arrival permits does not need to worry. We will start counting the days from October 1.

“[Foreigners from countries qualifying for visas on arrival] can come in and out of the country as many times as they like with a visa on arrival, but can stay for a maximum of 90 days in any six month period. If they stay 90 days then they must leave for 90 days before they are entitled to another visa on arrival. They can, however, go and request a tourist visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad and come back into the country,” he said.

“Extensions above the 90-day limit may be granted in exceptional cases, such as if the tourist is suffering from an illness or involved in a lawsuit,” he added.

“No new investment visas will be issued after October 1. However, existing visas in this category may be extended if the holder still has funds of 3 million baht and is still doing business in Thailand,” Col Pipat said.

Tourist visas are still available, for a fee, at Thai embassies and consulates in neighboring countries. The Royal Thai Consulate in Penang, however, will now issue only single-entry 60-day tourist visas. An official at the consulate said that an order had been sent down from Consul Pramote Pramoonsab to cease issuance of double-entry tourist visas, which allow a total stay of up to 120 days.

Double-entry tourist visas are at present still available in the Thai Consulate in Kota Bharu and Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, however.

A source in the Visa and Travel Document Division, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), said that the move by the consulate in Penang is not due to any sweeping changes in MFA policy.

The decision whether or not to issue double-entry tourist visas rests solely at the discretion of each diplomatic mission, the source explained.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-09-21

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems pretty reasonable. Answers the question for those who frequently come in/out but don't stay long (eg are working elsewhere outside the country). So I would say targets those who are 'long term tourists' or 'working illegally'. Also quite easy to work around; if you have done your 90 days, then go get a 60 day visa outside the country. On the whole quite reasonable and workable?

So basically . Goto another country to get a visa and stop doing border runs. I think it all comes down to money. How much for a VOA? Nothing , zero, ###### all. How much for a visa in another country? 1900 baht? Maybe.? ie no money being made at the border but at the consulates etc there is. Makes sense really.

So basically . Goto another country to get a visa and stop doing border runs. I think it all comes down to money. How much for a VOA? Nothing , zero, ###### all. How much for a visa in another country? 1900 baht? Maybe.? ie no money being made at the border but at the consulates etc there is. Makes sense really.

If you do the Mae Sai visa run then it is 500 baht per time in Marvelous Myanmar - it's not such a different situation.

I guess if you are going from Chiang Mai the nearest consulate is pretty far...

At last ! An official who can present clearly the rules, and answer to the basic questions.

Thanks !

As for your optimism regarding the fact that thai embassies will issue tourist visa, on a repeat mode, to the visa runners after their 90 days on visa exemption... I prefer to wait and see.

:o

Alright, that means basically if I come in on a tourist visa (60 days ) or a non imigrant ( 90 days )

which I both can extend for 30 days and non imigrant for 21 days, I will be able to apply for another tourist visa ( Vientiene, Penang or KL ) and re-enter the country as of October 1. ???

So in this regard nothing has changed, right?

It applies only for those, who come in with a visa on arrival, and afterwards do their famous "runs" to the border, get their stamp and not paying anything for re-entry.

New visa rules confirmed

“[Foreigners from countries qualifying for visas on arrival] can come in and out of the country as many times as they like with a visa on arrival, but can stay for a maximum of 90 days in any six month period. If they stay 90 days then they must leave for 90 days before they are entitled to another visa on arrival. They can, however, go and request a tourist visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad and come back into the country,” he said.

Good News!

That's what I need to know I can pop over from Laos to Nong Khai do may shopping trips 90 times in a six month period! Well that is when they reopen the borders!

:o

90 days maximum stay on VOA in six months, can go in and out, then have to wait for another 90 days OR apply for tourist visa...let see..3 months there..3 months back home...3 months there...3 months home again...sound reasonable...do I get it right?

The question remains .... how will airlines deal with this starting in December?

The thing is most people won't be at airports in this scenario will they - it's the border runner who will be affected the most. At airlines the check-in desks will just add a line to the script when your checking in asking you - have you visited Thailand for a period of 90 days in the past 6 months.

If you bullshit in the hope of getting past it then you'll be the one with problems not the airlines.

I get asked all the time when I fly to Laos - do you have a visa - even though I can get one on arrival.

On what should be a less complicated question.

I am a US citizen going to Thailand in November for a 20 day vacation.

I have never needed a visa for short vacations in the past, including last year, do I need tourist visa now?

Thank you,

John R.

I have never needed a visa for short vacations in the past, including last year, do I need tourist visa now?

Thank you,

John R.

No. I think... :o

The question remains .... how will airlines deal with this starting in December?

errr hello

they have this funny thing called a computer and also a thingy called a software program

this is said to do the trick

Apparently yet again you miss the point Blackjack. The gov't has already said it could take a year to get an e-visa system to work in Thailand where you get clearance in advance <so the airlines can KNOW you will be granted entry>. You might want to go back to those threads and see where Gov't <Immigration> bigwigs have acknowledged this issue.

Until then that leaves it to Airlines to deal with the problem of how many days you have been in Thailand in the last 180 days <and how long you are staying>. Since an airline is required to deal with you if you are denied entry to a country based upon posted rules, this is gonna be an issue.

I foresee tourists without a visa being denied boarding if they have less than 30 days left and no onward ticket.

Thank you,

John R.

The way the rules read ........

You are fine with everything based upon the info you have given. <Assuming you have an onward/return ticket!!>

Thank you,

John R.

Not needed John. I'm doing same thing in Nov. Thai consulate here says no problem. In fact they said that they would issue me 3 entry visa good for 6 months at cost of $75.00 but now I'll go without one.

If they stay 90 days then they must leave for 90 days before they are entitled to another visa on arrival. They can, however, go and request a tourist visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad and come back into the country,” he said.

so visa runs * 3, followed by 2 tourist visas.

or

tourist visas ad infinitum

repeat

....assuming that sequential tourist visas are freely on demand (and payment of course).

Hi Everyone,

Am relatively new here and doing lots of due diligence! Do these new Visa Rules mean that as from 1 October 2006 no NEW Investment Visas will be issued? In other words, this category will cease to exist except for people holding IV's prior to 1 October. I had read on previous threads that the minimum amount would probably be increased to 10 mil Bht.

Regards,

James

So you don't have to stay OUT of Thailand for 90 days after your "90 days in six months" are up then? There is a work around?

What are the "priveliged" countries cos my girlfriend is from Brazil and I cant find a list of countries this applies too. I have a visa and work permit but she doesn't and it would be an expensive visa run if she had to return to Brasil to apply for a visa!!

Any pointers?

If they stay 90 days then they must leave for 90 days before they are entitled to another visa on arrival. They can, however, go and request a tourist visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad and come back into the country,” he said.

so visa runs * 3, followed by 2 tourist visas.

or

tourist visas ad infinitum

repeat

....assuming that sequential tourist visas are freely on demand (and payment of course).

I some how doubt they will give out the visas at the embassy willy nilly. Otherwise it's a pointless excercise. They'll take a look at how long you've stay and if excessive they'll refuse you a visa - simple and removing the hassle from the borders.