New Visa Rules Confirmed

I asked this question earlier but never got a reply.

Right now I am teaching (legally with a work permit) But I am looking at switching over to private tutoring in 2007. I am also getting married in 2007 to a Thai girl. I am 24 so the retirement visa is out and we won't be running a business. So what are my options. I am ignorant as to what I get through marriage, but from my brief understanding it's basically nothing.

Seemingly perhaps working 10hrs at a private tutoring company for a work permit seems the best option...

Thanks in advance!

:o

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone help? I live in LOS but work on a month on month off rotation in other countries. I have previously been told by immigration that it would be a waste of time having a 1 year multi entry visa but now due to these new rules this could bite me on the ****. I have had multi entry visa's in the past so know what the routine would be and i have wife and children in LOS as well, so would it just be better to go get a visa again or just continue as normal? Can any one tell me where the best place would be to get a visa these days as i am currently working 1000km away from my nearest Thai embassy so would prefer a run to Malaysia or somewhere else in the SEA region next time i am home.

KL and Singapore seem to be the current best bets for multi entry non immigrant visas and believe it would be better than depending on the 30 day stays (which even if you never exceed the 90 in six month limit) as you appear to be a user with all those entries so it would probably cause a slowdown on each entry now.

Right now I am teaching (legally with a work permit) But I am looking at switching over to private tutoring in 2007. I am also getting married in 2007 to a Thai girl. I am 24 so the retirement visa is out and we won't be running a business. So what are my options. I am ignorant as to what I get through marriage, but from my brief understanding it's basically nothing.

Seemingly perhaps working 10hrs at a private tutoring company for a work permit seems the best option...

Thanks in advance!

Marriage gives you a wife. It also allows non immigrant O visa access. It also makes you a little more competitive in the job market due to less stringent work permit requirements I believe.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have 400,000 baht ? If you do, then you can get a 1 year visa multiple entry by going to an embassy or consulate. If you already have a visa then you can get a 1 year single entry at you local immigration office. The advantage of the multipole entry is that you only need the money in the account when you go get the visa which takes 2 days or less. If you go for the 1 year single entry it is possibel that you need to have the money in there for the whole year.

The marriage extension of stay required 400k to be used to support your wife during the year - there is no requirement that it remain at 400k except while under review.

There is no requirement for 400k during a visa issue (unless the Consulate adds that as a local condition - which they can). In most all cases a multi entry non immigrant O visa is available in home country of those married to a Thai with only a marriage certificate and perhaps ID card copy of wife as evidence - unless there have been very recent changes.

Reading this...its still not too clear and want to be sure...i have tickets and passport (U.S.) to visit thailand and attend son's wedding...visit will around 10 days...do i need a VISA...i will have been out of the country for over a year...will not my passport do...apologize...i am so ignorant on this stuff...tks patrick(texas)

Patrick,

You do not need a visa. Nor does any of this apply to you. Since you are only going to be here for 10 days just bring your passport and you will be fine. This only applies to the people that want to stay here month after month after month etc.

Seems the last Gov.TRT tried to control illegal migrants and non-work permit holders to stay here to make a living,if they limit the non-imigrant visia as well for only 90 days in six months,I think this will lead to a decrease of remittance send to Thailand. I expect the next new gov. will consider of whether this policy is feasible or not. :o

In case anybody is wondering why Thailand is tightening up on it's Visa requirements, I have cut and pasted a post that I read on another forum.

"made me laugh ....friend of mine did the loans and credit card scam , not a huge amount but i guess enough to start someting here in thailand maybe , my friend flew first class thai air , on one of the maxed cards ! arrives in bkk , him and one other passenger were only ones in first class , off the plane first , straight to baggage collection after customs , 2 hours later my friend is still waiting for his case with over 40,000 english pounds in suitcase , a few packets of cigs later , he finally sums up bottle to ask whereabouts of his case and offered 2000 bht to the first airport worker to find it ! ( can you imagine what was going through his mind at the time ? ) anyway case turns up ! it had been accidently been put on the wrong belt , so for nearly 2 hrs the case with 40,000 pounds in was going round and round on the next baggage belt ....and all ended up happily ever after .....i wonder how many ppl have brought in large sums of money like this !"

As I said in my response to that post, Words fail me!!

It's incredible that so many people are contributing to this topic seemingly oblivious to the fact that Thailand is under martial law and the constitution has been suspended due to a military coup scarcely 48 hours ago.

Thailand has no government.

Thailand has no constitution.

Thailand is under martial law.

Tanks are still in the streets of Bangkok.

These changes to visa policy enforcement will no longer be an issue.

Forget them, they are history.

They were born out of “Thais love Thais” philosophy which also is history now.

Relax Farangs: “WELCOME BACK TO THAILAND”, everyone has started to smile again. :o:D:D

It's incredible that so many people are contributing to this topic seemingly oblivious to the fact that Thailand is under martial law and the constitution has been suspended due to a military coup scarcely 48 hours ago.

Relax Farangs: “WELCOME BACK TO THAILAND”, everyone has started to smile again. :o:D:D

Not sure that I would be as confident as you about the visa issue, it would appear that these rules were always "on the books" but only now being enforced. I doubt if the current state of politics in Thailand will have any effect on the implementation of the "Entry without a Visa" rules as of 1st October.

<Thailand has a gov't>

<The constitution is suspended -- it wasn't working >

<yes it is>

<yes there are some>

<The visa rules have been confirmed since the coup>

<nope they exist>

<They were on the books before there was a TRT>

The enforcement of these rules will have minimal impact ..... period.

Edited by jdinasia

OK..

Have stated many times why I believe effective enforcement of this will not be possible and must be selective enforcement only but..

“[Foreigners from countries qualifying for visas on arrival] can come in and out of the country as many times as they like with a visa on arrival, but can stay for a maximum of 90 days in any six month period. If they stay 90 days then they must leave for 90 days before they are entitled to another visa on arrival. They can, however, go and request a tourist visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad and come back into the country,” he said.

So a person arriving in the country on day 85.. Does he get another 30 day stamp ?? Does he get a 5 day stamp..

So basically . Goto another country to get a visa and stop doing border runs. I think it all comes down to money. How much for a VOA? Nothing , zero, ###### all. How much for a visa in another country? 1900 baht? Maybe.? ie no money being made at the border but at the consulates etc there is. Makes sense really.

As I said earlier from BKK post about 1 month ago embassies can use more of visa money to upgrade their embassies that need repairs & extra staff.

No cost to the country pretty neat way of updating your embassies.

Paul. :D:o

Hee, hee! All these differing opinions and advice for trying to get around the system. Thankfully I never have to leave the country anymore and just pop down to the local immigration every year and pay 1,900 BAHT for a 1 year stamp.

Lovely Jubbly!

Goodbye illegal workers...

hmmm and goodbye backpackers?

<not that the new rules being enforced means goodbye to anyone ..... but the very poorest folks that can't afford to travel at max 2X a year to get any kind of visa>

Edited by jdinasia

Are you saying that the matter has been discussed by the Military Junta confirming that they will be enforcing them on October 1?

Who discussed them? When? Do you have documentation to back up your claim?

I'd bet money you're wrong on this.

You also claim these visa policies were in existence more than 5 years ago (pre-TRT). Even if they were, it's irrelevant as they weren't acted upon until a very pro-Thai government came into power.

PS. I can see you appreciate the spaces in my replies so you can add in comments point by point. :o:D:D

Edited by tropo

I KNOW they say that tourist visas (as many as you please - even back to back) will be fine, BUT in reality that is not what is being experienced at embassies/consulates around us. Several reports of "last tourist visa for you" and even being turned down. Cheers!

See post 1 of this thread ....

Yes the basics of this rule have been around a LONG time .... That recently under TRT they let you slide should be a selling point for the last gruop :o

I have a spacebar --- creating space is easy :D

Hi, to anyone who's interested in tourist visas... I came back from Laos yesterday, got one of those there plus an extra stamp saying: 'The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under tourist visa several times which may result in the refusal of a visa in the future.' I was also told my a consulate employee i wouldn't get another tourist visa for sure. The point is i just came back from Europe where i spent 3 months and i had maybe 2 of them in my new passport. I am Polish, so they might think i'm a russian prostitute here, as one of my friends suggested ;-), but anyway i find it highly disturbing.

good luck everyone

I KNOW they say that tourist visas (as many as you please - even back to back) will be fine, BUT in reality that is not what is being experienced at embassies/consulates around us. Several reports of "last tourist visa for you" and even being turned down. Cheers!

It'll smooth out ....

I was told CLEARLY not to go back to the Thai Embassy in Cambodia for another non-imm <with aletter from the MoE in and noless>. So I went elsewhere the next time :o

See post 1 of this thread ....

Post 1 states: New rules limiting stays in Thailand on “visas on arrival” to 90 days over any six month period were confirmed at a September 15 meeting of Immigration Department Chiefs in Bangkok.

Things may well have been re-thought, since the 15th was prior to the change of government. I'm not insinuating that anything has changed, but I've yet to see any confirmation that this scheduled enforcement is still on-track post-coup.

Edited by ovenman

Are you saying that the matter has been discussed by the Military Junta confirming that they will be enforcing them on October 1?

Who discussed them? When? Do you have documentation to back up your claim?

I'd bet money you're wrong on this.

You also claim these visa policies were in existence more than 5 years ago (pre-TRT). Even if they were, it's irrelevant as they weren't acted upon until a very pro-Thai government came into power.

PS. I can see you appreciate the spaces in my replies so you can add in comments point by point. :D:D:D

The 3 back to back hops became law I beleive in 2003 but was never put into force WHY??

Paul.

It may be a bit of aHUGE assumption that PG used a standard fact checker ... but that article is dated yesterday ...

I have no idea about the printing of the Phuket Gazette (I live in Pattaya), but isn't it possible that the article printed in there was written pre-coup? Is that a weekly publication perhaps?

They still need to fill the pages of their newspapers despite what's going on and a few days ago it was a hot topic. It is just a newspaper and not the final word on any governmental policy.

It may be a bit of aHUGE assumption that PG used a standard fact checker ... but that article is dated yesterday ...

I have no idea about the printing of the Phuket Gazette (I live in Pattaya), but isn't it possible that the article printed in there was written pre-coup? Is that a weekly publication perhaps?

They still need to fill the pages of their newspapers despite what's going on and a few days ago it was a hot topic. It is just a newspaper and not the final word on any governmental policy.

It was in the online edition's Daily News section

I understand and sympathise with your situation, Mr. Bean. Unfortunately, no matter how much you may have been duped, appeased, or otherwise lied to by the management at your school, your visa remains your own responsibility and you will be the one who suffers whatever inconvenience or penalties resulting from that. A year ago I could have agreed that it didn't really matter. Now it does- TiT!!!

Certain sectors of the education industry have shot themselves in the foot before, but those events were nothing compared to what's ahead now. If they continue to enforce work permit and visa requirements strictly, schools really will be full of students and no foreign teachers. The plus side is that this could fast track paperwork reform and a new, legal visa status for most TEFLers who have been off the record as hoards of upper and middle class parents complain. The minus side is that over the months of transition and confusion, many people may lose otherwise stable and desirable situations here.

Even if everything in the visa/work permit situation stablised immediately without change there would be a big loss in confidence about teaching here and the number of newbies would be falling. If there is a period of enforcement and transition, there will be a corresponding lack of trust even after the transition. I predict a relative scarcity of TEFLers in the near to medium future. It will help those of us who remain, but will cause many holding onto the fringes now to suffer.

"Steven"

Thanks IJWT. Actually though, I was only describing the scenario and I'm not directly caught up in it. Like you though, I have great sympathy for any teacher who works hard, but now stands to be affected by the revisions just because admin. at their school didn't perform.

You are very right about shaking the confidence of new tefl'ers though. That IS where I'm at.

How much risk is there of being unable to secure a position that provides a WP, to anyone who arrives this year with a view to finding tefl work (and has a genuine degree and tefl)?

My problem is up here in Chiang Mai it’s a bit far to go to any of the places mentioned for 3 months visa.

I might as well just shoot off to Cambodia for 90 days, then back

here for 90 days.

I don’t really want to live in Cambodia, I’ve been there many times for trips, but I

love Thailand, that’s why I pack’t up and moved here.

I did go to the immigration office near the Chiang Mai airport, I tried to find out

what’s the story with the visa situ, “we wait for letter from Bangkok, but don’t worry now”

So if this really doz come into full effect, then that means I’ve got 4 weeks to make a plan,

(last visa run 27th sept)

Has anybody got any great suggestions out there for me.

But not ‘get a job’, or ‘go home’.

Is marrage the only real loophole worth going for?

I don't really want to pop down to 7/11 to find a bride to go!