Will Pattaya be a ghost town in ten years?

Asiacat

Was talking tonight to a guy in the bar, a long term stayer. Has a partner up north about 30 kms out of Khon Kaen who owns a house. He says nobody speaks english in that local and after 5 days of being there he has had enough and wants to come back to Pattaya. Can't say I blame him, it's all good and well living in those places if you don't want to speak English or talk with anyone but your partner but it isn't for me.

Pattaya has it all, it will never become a ghost town, might be a bit dearer than up north but I'll pay for that no problems.

The problem is, they guys who are complaining about the prices in Pattaya wouldn't live anywhere else, apparently.

I'm paying the same rent I paid 10 years ago. Electricity has risen slightly in the last 5 years .... before that I paid a fixed amount for 5 years. Petrol is cheaper than over most of the last 10 years, but of course that fluctuates, and meals at the restaurants I visit have barely kept up with inflation over 10 years. A lot of people jump to conclusions over price increases in a small time frame but fail to see the big picture. Prices just don't go up in a straight line.

What keeps Pattaya affordable IS the fierce competition for your baht, yet people complain the place is oversupplied by shops and services.

Pattaya will bigger and better in 10 years from now.

I hope you mean larger and not bigger. As the main tourist area is completely developed the only way to get bigger would be to replace the cheap places with more expensive, and that is definitely not better.

Bigger , larger ? Its definitely going to be heavier. Looks like the third Mac Donalds and counting is under renovation / construction at Soi 13/2 ( Soi Post Office)

That used to be an indoor/outdoor restaurant.

And by the way thaibeachlovers this replacement of cheap places with more expensive places has been going on for at least the last 7 years.

Bars . cafes , bookstores, going going ... Just noticed Bookazine at the avenue is boarded up.

Again just because they cannot stop this reckless over development does not equate to business success in future.

Edited by morrobay

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you seen the plans of Tower 1 in Jomtien, a 91 level tower is going up there, nobody would pump money in that if it was going backwards.

Oh wait, actually the plans is the only thing that exists.

2 of the ones I have mentioned are almost completed and sold out, the 31 level hotel has started work already, bit of a difference.

The Centric,would that be the Centric Sea,flag wavers outside to drum up business. when I go past at night all I have seen is 3 apartments with lights on. If it sold out or whatever it would be the off planner brigade wanting to flip quickly. The place is a dead duck,who the hell would want to live in a council block,it looks awful

And this recent viewpoint on the Pattaya condo market: http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2015/Pattaya-real-estate.htm

Made mention of Laguna...surprised at this project continuing as it stood still for so long and a "bargain" at 2.3 million for one asking price. you would have to be completely off your rocker,and I mean dribbling lips to buy into this project, all around desolate buildings lying unfinished abandoned ,and pop around the corner the Holy of Holy Sawan Sawarm (deep breath) the leader far ahead of its time going tits up.. The Laguna project was most certainly off plan material, who would give anything to live there (no? as not asking a Q)

One of my hobbies here when I see restaurants opening is guessing when they will close. That's pretty naughty, I know. Sometimes I think places will work and then they still don't though. I couldn't have predicted all the Russian places closing before the Ruble crashed.

have you seen there is a new American restaurant opening soon at the front of " The Avenue " on second road directly above the pizza shop. It used to be an Irish pub. It will be called " the all-American restaurant " - chicken wings and other things. it will have a huge seating capacity but I have no idea if there will be enough people in their target audience.

Again, open a new business /bar where the last one failed

Great business sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean they should demolish the building when a business fails.

Great business sense.

3 rules of real estate / business

If you open a similar business in the same location as a previous business that failed then it will most likely fail as well.

I have seen a location (outside of Thailand) that has had 5 different restaurants over a few years time. These restaurants were very different but they all failed.

One of my hobbies here when I see restaurants opening is guessing when they will close. That's pretty naughty, I know. Sometimes I think places will work and then they still don't though. I couldn't have predicted all the Russian places closing before the Ruble crashed.

Any business based on an ethnic group in a tourist area can only be looking at short-term gains.

Think about that the next time you intend to open your borscht shop.

The biggest handicap to Pattaya is the incompetence of the Pattaya City Council . The list of badly managed public projects is immense - just look at how they have managed drainage projects, Beach road, Jomtien beach, Sukhumvit road traffic, lack of planning in general plus many more. If the organisation overseeing the area can't get their act together then does it really matter if there are too many bars .

I totally agree that the city council is doing nothing to help the situation. What surprises me is why so many foreigners are willing to come in and invest so much capital in a Pattaya. You can't really blame the city council too much when foreigners are tripping over each other tryng to give away their money.

I find it hard to believe that Hooters will be a success in Pattaya.

I mean Pattaya is quite price sensitive and Hooters wont be cheap so for a start that will wipe out a lot of customers.

And the girl attraction can be had all over town and in much sexier outfits or no outfits as the case may be.

I would tend to want to agree with you, but I am not so sure on this one. Take Hard Rock for example. They offer the same services / food / merchandise for inflated prices. They have incredible brand identity though (globally). People are willing to pay extra for that.

I am not so sure about Hooters, but they are kind of offering the same type of thing, but i don't know how global their brand identity is. For the expat or retiree here, Hooters is probably not going to be frequented much. But for the tourist that is in Thailand for the first time, it might be a familiar place they want to try here. I know when my friends came to thailand they wanted to go to places that were familiar to them from back in USA. Even when they had me as a tour guide. So who knows.

I find it hard to believe that Hooters will be a success in Pattaya.

I mean Pattaya is quite price sensitive and Hooters wont be cheap so for a start that will wipe out a lot of customers.

And the girl attraction can be had all over town and in much sexier outfits or no outfits as the case may be.

I would tend to want to agree with you, but I am not so sure on this one. Take Hard Rock for example. They offer the same services / food / merchandise for inflated prices. They have incredible brand identity though (globally). People are willing to pay extra for that.

I am not so sure about Hooters, but they are kind of offering the same type of thing, but i don't know how global their brand identity is. For the expat or retiree here, Hooters is probably not going to be frequented much. But for the tourist that is in Thailand for the first time, it might be a familiar place they want to try here. I know when my friends came to thailand they wanted to go to places that were familiar to them from back in USA. Even when they had me as a tour guide. So who knows.

Hooters works in China.wai2.gif

Just my private observation. After (3?) high-seasons, that turned out to be "below expectations", a good number of Farang business owners and potential investors, seem to have decided to wait and see how the next high season turns out, before making any major decisions.

A 4th high season in a row, turning out to be "below expectations", will certainly not be seen as a positive sign by current and future investors concerning Pattaya.

Just food for thought. Cheers..

I really, really hope all those potential investors go away and stuff up some other town. It is their like building things like Central in Pattaya rather than Jomptien where it should have been built that have ruined Pattaya, trying to make it a family friendly destination. Get lost families, Pattaya is for big boys.

Central is the best thing that happened to Pattaya in the last 10 years. Some of us like to go to the cinema or dinner with a date there. It is in a perfect location and is actually one of the few places you can park in that area.

have you seen there is a new American restaurant opening soon at the front of " The Avenue " on second road directly above the pizza shop. It used to be an Irish pub. It will be called " the all-American restaurant " - chicken wings and other things. it will have a huge seating capacity but I have no idea if there will be enough people in their target audience.

Sane as mcdonalds, cheap greasy shiiiiiiiit

Just my private observation. After (3?) high-seasons, that turned out to be "below expectations", a good number of Farang business owners and potential investors, seem to have decided to wait and see how the next high season turns out, before making any major decisions.

A 4th high season in a row, turning out to be "below expectations", will certainly not be seen as a positive sign by current and future investors concerning Pattaya.

I really, really hope all those potential investors go away and stuff up some other town. It is their like building things like Central in Pattaya rather than Jomptien where it should have been built that have ruined Pattaya, trying to make it a family friendly destination. Get lost families, Pattaya is for big boys.

Central is the best thing that happened to Pattaya in the last 10 years. Some of us like to go to the cinema or dinner with a date there. It is in a perfect location and is actually one of the few places you can park in that area.

Never heard it called a date before hahahahahahahha

Seriously...grow up...there are plenty of peple that go to central everyday on normal dates.

Seriously...grow up...there are plenty of peple that go to central everyday on normal dates.

I take the family there. Nice day out and shopping and eating. Better experience than any mall I was ever at in the States. I don't call it a date though. We call it a family outing. Dates I walk down the street a bit and drink fresh made German beer and pizza cooked in a brick oven. Pattaya a great town for the whole family.biggrin.png

Sane as mcdonalds, cheap greasy shiiiiiiiit

oh that doesn't sound very promisingsad.png I felt sure for the proprietor to have the confidence to open up in that location right now he must be offering something totally different . Have you eaten there already and is that your assessment?

Edited by Asiantravel

Well I think I'll wait for them to open and to check it out before I make any predictions.

It's also hard to know what their business plan is.

For all we know, they plan to book in Chinese tour buses and I think more provincial Chinese might love that kind of "exotic" food.

Of course Hooters opening on Beach Road is famous for wings and ... let me check ... "other" THINGS.

I doubt Hooters would be opening here without having done some hard core market research.

Burgers look good, but selling frozen fries portions at 150 baht and small cans of coke at 100 baht doesn't augur well. And although it's pretty visible from 2nd Road (former Shenanigan's Pub), as it's not at ground level it's not ideal for walk-ins. Edited by wedders

Well I’m noticing quite a strange phenomena regarding business practices in Pattaya based on two separate unpleasant experiences within the space of about one month. I hope it’s not a new trend but we all know how Thai’s are not bashful about increasing prices when there is a downturn in the business to compensate for lost revenue .

In two instances involving two different kinds of business where I have been a regular customer over a long period of time within the last month I have suddenly been excessively overcharged or ripped off to put it bluntly. When you frequent a business regularly you don’t automatically ask the price and you accept over a period time it if it’s a moderate increase . But not when the price almost doubles suddenly.

And it wasn’t just the size of the price increase which shocked me it was the reaction of the two different proprietors when I protested . In one case they laughed at me when I told them they have lost me as a customer and that I would not be going back there again.

So I’m adopting a brand-new policy from now on which is clearly establish the price before every transaction even where I’ve been going to any particular business for a long time.

I can’t understand this mentality at all and they didn’t seem worried about losing me as a customer in both instances so rightly or wrongly I have come to the conclusion that these people in particular may realise the writing is on the wall for them so they may as well salvage as much money as possible while they can. This is the only possible way I can explain such irrational behaviour for a business person.

Edited by Asiantravel

Well I’m noticing quite a strange phenomena regarding business practices in Pattaya based on two separate unpleasant experiences within the space of about one month. I hope it’s not a new trend but we all know how Thai’s are not bashful about increasing prices when there is a downturn in the business to compensate for lost revenue .

In two instances involving two different kinds of business where I have been a regular customer over a long period of time within the last month I have suddenly been excessively overcharged or ripped off to put it bluntly. When you frequent a business regularly you don’t automatically ask the price and you accept over a period time it if it’s a moderate increase . But not when the price almost doubles suddenly.

And it wasn’t just the size of the price increase which shocked me it was the reaction of the two different proprietors when I protested . In one case they laughed at me when I told them they have lost me as a customer and that I would not be going back there again.

So I’m adopting a brand-new policy from now on which is clearly establish the price before every transaction even where I’ve been going to any particular business for a long time.

I can’t understand this mentality at all and they didn’t seem worried about losing me as a customer in both instances so rightly or wrongly I have come to the conclusion that these people in particular may realise the writing is on the wall for them so they may as well salvage as much money as possible while they can. This is the only possible way I can explain such irrational behaviour for a business person.

I think this is standard Thai practice. They have no thought for future customers and would gladly give up thousands of baht profit in the future to scam you for a few bahts now.

Edited by Henryford

are they on the main drag?

for a physical storefront it's all about location, and always will be. Do they have a brand that can draw customers into the suburbs like Ikea, wal-fart or target? if not they are biting dust.

places on the main drag where the customers are are doing great.

this is no place for an economics lecture, but there may be a lesson in there about not listening to expats complain and getting involved in their financial problems.

i also want to talk about men having sex with other men, and the effects of this on the bottom line. clap2.gif

Edited by fey

Dog eat dog. The pressures to spend more,drink more quickly to buy more drinks is getting quite noticeable,especially the more popular drinking holes I attend . gets tiresome when want to relax,the bar girls know exactly how much is left when that bottle is enclosed in cooler condom,and on to you like a pack of wolves same - same.

If numbers of farang keep disappearing at this rate of knots it will not be 10 years before its a ghost town ,more like 5. do not know how many of the once popular restaurants manage to stay open now,just one closure after another,empty up for sale is getting more and more popular signage wise

Well Im noticing quite a strange phenomena regarding business practices in Pattaya based on two separate unpleasant experiences within the space of about one month. I hope its not a new trend but we all know how Thais are not bashful about increasing prices when there is a downturn in the business to compensate for lost revenue .

In two instances involving two different kinds of business where I have been a regular customer over a long period of time within the last month I have suddenly been excessively overcharged or ripped off to put it bluntly. When you frequent a business regularly you dont automatically ask the price and you accept over a period time it if its a moderate increase . But not when the price almost doubles suddenly.

And it wasnt just the size of the price increase which shocked me it was the reaction of the two different proprietors when I protested . In one case they laughed at me when I told them they have lost me as a customer and that I would not be going back there again.

So Im adopting a brand-new policy from now on which is clearly establish the price before every transaction even where Ive been going to any particular business for a long time.

I cant understand this mentality at all and they didnt seem worried about losing me as a customer in both instances so rightly or wrongly I have come to the conclusion that these people in particular may realise the writing is on the wall for them so they may as well salvage as much money as possible while they can. This is the only possible way I can explain such irrational behaviour for a business person.

I think this is standard Thai practice. They have no thought for future customers and would gladly give up thousands of baht profit in the future to scam you for a few bahts now.

I take it a step further and ask for a menu or look for signage with prices posted.

Ordering cold turkey is a fools game in asia. You should know that by now.

Have you guys seen the plans for the plot of land next to view talay 6 (next door Central). There is a 31 level hotel going in there, no way a hotel would pump money like that into Pattaya if it was going backwards. Then there's Centric on 2nd road 30 + level towers, soi honey 30 + level towers.....it just goes on and I haven't even counted anything from there to Sukhumvit yet either.

Have you seen the plans of Tower 1 in Jomtien, a 91 level tower is going up there, nobody would pump money in that if it was going backwards.

Oh wait, actually the plans is the only thing that exists.

Nothing wrong with developing Jomptien, that's the future place for the upmarket crowd. Good beach, close to Bkk, plans for an upgraded railway. Lots of expensive developments there already. Let's develop Jomptien and leave Pattaya for the mongers smile.png .

Standard Thai response.

In your place I'd continue going there, but use the menu to order the cheapest item on it ( only 1 item ), no drink unless they give free water, and never give a tip. Worth it just to annoy them.

When a Nana mamasan ripped me off I continued going there, but only bought 1 cheap drink and stayed an hour. Didn't buy any girls drinks and made a point of taking all the change including small coins when I left. They do notice things like that.

Dog eat dog. The pressures to spend more,drink more quickly to buy more drinks is getting quite noticeable,especially the more popular drinking holes I attend . gets tiresome when want to relax,the bar girls know exactly how much is left when that bottle is enclosed in cooler condom,and on to you like a pack of wolves same - same.

If numbers of farang keep disappearing at this rate of knots it will not be 10 years before its a ghost town ,more like 5. do not know how many of the once popular restaurants manage to stay open now,just one closure after another,empty up for sale is getting more and more popular signage wise

I'm only surprised that you would expect to be relaxing in a Pattaya bar beer.

It's their JOB to get you to buy drinks, and put the pressure on ( especially in low season ). If you want to relax, buy a beer from 7 11 and sit on the walkway, if you can find a seat nowadays, or drink in an hotel.

BTW every barbeer and gogo in Pattaya could close tomorrow and Pattaya would still live on. It's not 20 years ago when Pattaya was a one horse town ( sadly ). Even if every farang left, it would still survive off the Asian trade. Plenty of Indians and Chinese now.

Restaurants don't get customers when they don't care about their customers and I've been in plenty that treat customers like c**p. A certain well known restaurant on 2nd road that has always ignored customers, but survived by providing cheap eats now has expensive eats and I expect it to be closing ( or changing it's ways ) soon.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I'm only surprised that you would expect to be relaxing in a Pattaya bar beer.

It's their JOB to get you to buy drinks, and put the pressure on ( especially in low season ). If you want to relax, buy a beer from 7 11 and sit on the walkway, if you can find a seat nowadays, or drink in an hotel.

BTW every barbeer and gogo in Pattaya could close tomorrow and Pattaya would still live on. It's not 20 years ago when Pattaya was a one horse town ( sadly ).

Only time I will be truly relaxed is when I'm out of this dump

I am interested to here the details of these two situations if you would like to share.

So you are complaining about customer service?

For those of you that think the Baht is weak at 34 to the dollar. Here's a news flash........the Baht has been over-valued for quite a few years. The target is 40 baht to the USD. It was 44 Baht to the USD 10 years ago, but, that was before the US decided to trash the dollar. Also, a great deal of foreign investment has come into Thailand the past 10 years which has added a false sense of euphoria to the economy, thus driving the Baht higher. That scenario has changed.

And that foreign investment is drying up rapidly. A lot of investors have seen that tourist numbers and infrasturcure development in countries like Cambodia, and to a lesser degree but growing fast, Burma, is growing exponentially fast, and offer better R.O.I.

At the same time Thailand has many major issues it seems unable to ever get past, which are hurting investor confidence.

Tourist numbers are declining for many reasons. The strength/weakness of currencies is but one of them.

Unstable political conditions. Assaults and robberies on foreigners. Corruption. This is not to say that other places in Asia don't suffer from the same, but they at least appear to be trying to address them.

The "high season" here now seems to flash in and out of existence over about 6 weeks.

Ask any business owner here, and they will tell you the TAT numbers don't add up.

Servitude more like. Tonight in bar 3 drinks,San Miguel, bar bill check bin ,charged for four,now this particular bar Ive used for years,lot of haggle reduced to 3 drinks ,no tip and walked off. Now if these tricks are now the norm,be careful,very careful

Servitude more like. Tonight in bar 3 drinks,San Miguel, bar bill check bin ,charged for four,now this particular bar Ive used for years,lot of haggle reduced to 3 drinks ,no tip and walked off. Now if these tricks are now the norm,be careful,very careful

Sometimes you just have to say whooa there fella. Bars have a little cup the bill is put in the cup after each drink. It does not take much intelligence to check the cup. Or you could do like a lot of old expats do and pay after every beer. Now that's not a new idea as I was doing it when I lived in Pattaya 10 years ago. I've never been cheated at a bar. I pay after each beer.

I really don't think you have what it takes to live in Thailand. Best look to other places.

Sometimes you just have to say whooa there fella. Bars have a little cup the bill is put in the cup after each drink. It does not take much intelligence to check the cup. Or you could do like a lot of old expats do and pay after every beer. Now that's not a new idea as I was doing it when I lived in Pattaya 10 years ago. I've never been cheated at a bar. I pay after each beer.

I really don't think you have what it takes to live in Thailand. Best look to other places.

After 7 years? had well enough ,they can stuff whatever they like in the bin,yes am off to Portugal