Cilla Black, singer and TV star, dies aged 72

Lite Beer

Cilla Black, singer and TV star, dies aged 72

Singer and TV star Cilla Black, who enjoyed a 50-year showbusiness career, has died aged 72, police in Spain say.
The 1960s singing star became a popular TV celebrity on such shows as Blind Date and Surprise Surprise.

Born Priscilla White in Liverpool, Black changed her name to launch a singing career with hits such as Anyone Who Had a Heart and You're My World.

She made her TV debut in 1968 with her own BBC One primetime series and went on to host a number of shows for ITV.
News agency Reuters said police in Malaga said Priscilla White had died in Estapona in the Costa del Sol region.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33751060

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-08-02

RIP Cilla

Made me shed a tear just now. Not really for Cilla as I never knew her but for my Mother who used to cuddle me when i was aged 6 in the kitchen when she would sing an almost pitch perfect rendition of Cilla's original song Alfie, by Bert Bacherach. Gosh I never thought listening to this song (and there must be a few more) could invoke such emotions. For that I thank you Cilla, I hope you've hooked up with the one love of your life Bobby.

Edited by Andaman Al

Couple of ok songs but was on tv too much with those crap shows, she wasn't funny unless you came from Liverpool and liked that other unfunny comedianTarbuck

You miserable old b*gger.

Tame compared to some of the stuff written in today's Guardian obit piece, despicable some of it.

Apparently our Cilla was a Tory.

Couple of ok songs but was on tv too much with those crap shows, she wasn't funny unless you came from Liverpool and liked that other unfunny comedianTarbuck

I respect your opinion, but most people would disagree with you. RIP

RIP, Cilla. She didn't appear to have any discernible talent as such but made the best of what she had. Her singing voice was akin to listening to an air-raid siren.

I would rather listen to Cilla than a good deal of this modern rubbish that's all machine mixed. When these modern 'stars' sing live, their lack of any real talent is painfully obvious.

That said, one mean's meat.....

RIP, Cilla. She didn't appear to have any discernible talent as such but made the best of what she had. Her singing voice was akin to listening to an air-raid siren.

I would rather listen to Cilla than a good deal of this modern rubbish that's all machine mixed. When these modern 'stars' sing live, their lack of any real talent is painfully obvious.

That said, one mean's meat.....

One MAN'S meatfacepalm.gif

Sad loss. Obviously differing opinion but you have to acknowledge the success.

I saw her live at the Adelphi in Slough in 1964 along with several of the contemporaries, her and Lulu certainly didn't appear to the brightest stars in the bunch.

Here is the Twitter comment on Cilla Black's death from someone who should know about talent.

'Cilla Black RIP..what a voice'
- Neil Finn, via Twitter.

Neil Finn - lead singer with Split Enz.

You miserable old b*gger.

Miserable old in the minority b*gger!

Why does he thinks she enjoyed a 50 year successful career?

How many millions have you made from showbiz with your unbounded talent?

I've had to shun the limelight for personal reasons.

Nice words about Cilla Black from Bruce Forsyth....................."Why does the real talent have to die so young"....................wub.png

Perhaps Brucie was being a tad sarcastic, After all she was 72, whereas real talent tends to die at 27 (Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Cobain, Winehouse etc.).

RIP Cilla

Made me shed a tear just now. Not really for Cilla as I never knew her but for my Mother who used to cuddle me when i was aged 6 in the kitchen when she would sing an almost pitch perfect rendition of Cilla's original song Alfie, by Bert Bacherach. Gosh I never thought listening to this song (and there must be a few more) could invoke such emotions. For that I thank you Cilla, I hope you've hooked up with the one love of your life Bobby.

Me too, I was gutted when she married 'Our Bobby' as I had hoped she was waiting for me, 9 :)

Today feels like I've just lost my Mum.

RIP Chook!

I should march you down Burma Road and give you the finger wharf.

Edited by Saan

Your one-liner made me laugh and was very much appreciated. Cillas voice didn't last as long as her peers but her sense, personality & great management enabled her to maintain her place as our premier all round entertainer. This thread is testament to the esteem in which she is still held, a full half century after first bursting onto the scene.

Edited by evadgib