Decent M/C helmet recommendations

jonnyscot

Hi, thinking of changing my M/C helmet for a better quality one but not so many options around my area, Ive been using a Real full face helmet with hinged jaw, quite a bit of wind noise,, I'm unsure about the buy online options since I guess it would be hit or miss in finding a perfect fit without actually trying it on.

Important issues in addition to the quality and comfort would be a lid with decent wind noise reduction properties, I'm open to full face or open face options,, incidentally I ride a versys so I would have a more upright riding position which I suppose is a factor to consider with the wind noise,

I have found an excellent site showing test results of a number of helmets which may help me.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

But I guess not so big a choice available here in LOS, so what I'd like to gain from this topic if possible is to minimise my search to decent recommendations available here in thailand by owners,,,

from what I've learned from my limited experience, trying on a helmet in the shop is one thing and it may feel good, but after 3 or 4 hours use it may be a different story,

Armed with the info from the web reviews and finding what you guys have found available and happy using, I can then plan a trip into BKK in the hope of returning with a decent helmet,,

oh regarding cost,,, probably what I'd call mid range say 7k to maybe 16k but may consider a wee bit more

Thanks

Check out shark helmets. About 10 to 12k. A step up from real (which I have too).

Real have new models too. Not to bad. 2500 baht and up.

As far as other peoples recommendation regarding comfort.. Everyone has a different shapes head, you need to decide yourself unfortunately

Edited by eeeya

I have a Shark Evoline helmet. Its very good.

I found a Shark dealer on the ground floor of MBK yesterday. Its an expat running the shop and its near one of the escalator blocks. He has a display with the crazy type of helmets, predator look etc but has proper helmets inside and said he can get any Shark helmet as he is authorized importer. I didn't ask price.

www.ridersdna.com is the address on his card. Also has facebook under same name.

Hope that's a help.

Thanks guys, I will check out Shark, interesting that dealer close to MBK, (easy to get to),

I had a couple of good sets of custom ear plugs that I had the audiologist in bumrungrad make me for my work, I'm sure these would've helped, unfortunately I lost them just before I bought the bike, the only earplugs I can find close by me are at home pro and they could be better.

Also read a wee bit about a product called a windjammer (new one on me), that fits in around the lower part of the helmet? Anyone used it?

Any more advice appreciated

Thanks

Edited by jonnyscot

Thanks guys, I will check out Shark, interesting that dealer close to MBK, (easy to get to),

I had a couple of good sets of custom ear plugs that I had the audiologist in bumrungrad made me for my work, I'm sure these would've helped, unfortunately I lost them just before I bought the bike, the only earplugs I can find close by me are at home pro and they could be better.

Any more advice appreciated

Thanks

I don't believe in ear plugs myself,a few times hearing has alerted me from an accident, a good quality fitting snug helmet should keep the nose levels acceptable

Unless your doing crazy speeds which I don't do anymore tbh

Just not worth it here in the land of anything can happen

I understand what you're saying Speedtripler, but I feel in my case the use of plugs would still allow me to hear for example a car horn the flip side may be that wind noise might also block a lot of other background noise,, everyone I think would have different thoughts on this, but for me it's important to protect my hearing so first step would be to find a better helmet than I have, if I can then do without the plugs I certainly would

Thanks

I'm a fan of LS2 helmets - Ninja shop in Ngam Wong Wam is their distributor.

I think they are a big step up in quality from Real. LS2 claim to be a manufacturer that makes helmets a lot of other companies - could be shark, who knows ?

They are a little cheaper than shark hemets, for me, thats perfect. It allows me to buy a few helmets per year and rotate them so they don't get too sweaty and smelly.

I'm a fan of LS2 helmets - Ninja shop in Ngam Wong Wam is their distributor.

I think they are a big step up in quality from Real. LS2 claim to be a manufacturer that makes helmets a lot of other companies - could be shark, who knows ?

They are a little cheaper than shark hemets, for me, thats perfect. It allows me to buy a few helmets per year and rotate them so they don't get too sweaty and smelly.

Thanks Recom273, yes a mate also has one and fully recommends it based on value for money, good point re buying a couple of them,, since I don't think I'd be willing to fork out for 2x15k helmets, a bit easier on the wallet 2x6k or 8k helmets and I don't fancy holding on to this real helmet as a second helmet due to the wind noise, measuring up my head I seem to be stuck right in between the L and XL sizes so that may be another hurdle to overcome.

oh well some food for thought, I'm off for a ride down to kanchanaburi tomorrow morning so some options for me to think about,

Thanks

It's also the shape of the head, Jonnyscot. Some helmets produced in Asia are different from European ones.

True that. L size on one brand feels completely different from L in another

Thanks for the advice on different sizes different brands guys, I can understand that,, just stopped over in kanchanaburi, and finding that my real helmet purchased approx 6 or 7 months back really does feel loose on the head, when tried on in the shop seemed a perfect fit, maybe due to poorer quality lining,,, bugger it it's pissin down here now

Shark are great in my experience. Excellent value for money.

As for earplugs, I highly recommend them (the foam type, not the ones connected to an iPod). They only really cut out the wind noise, which allows me to concentrate better, and also allowing me to hear my bike better and other traffic better. Protects your ears from noise damage as well. I rarely ride without them now.

Hi, check out the Paddock, it is on the MRT so easy to get to. Reasonably priced HJC helmets which are quite good as well as Arai, Shoei. Buy a helmet at a shop where you can wear one for 30 minutes or so to ensure it is comfortable. I have an HJC IS17 full face that is quite quiet as I also ride a Versys.

Good starting point but I have found different brands will fit different shape heads. Best bet is try on as many as possible. It could be the only thing keeping your coconut off of the pavement so take your time and get the right one.

Phew, just about enough likes to go around,,, thanks for all the advice guys.

Tried on a Schubert helmet this afternoon, a bit over my planned budget but fit was perfect once on, a bit tight slipping it on, but once on felt great, very light in comparison to my reall helmet, and seemed to be well padded, kept it on for 20 mins,, considering altering my budget now,,,,,, boysntheirtoys !!!

Tried on a Schubert helmet this afternoon, a bit over my planned budget but fit was perfect once on, a bit tight slipping it on, but once on felt great, very light in comparison to my reall helmet, and seemed to be well padded, kept it on for 20 mins,, considering altering my budget now,,,,,, boysntheirtoys !!!

No way ! Thats some upgrade !

No way ! Thats some upgrade !

Yep planning and budget sometimes has to go out the window when you see something you must have,, this ones come home with me,,, gave the versys a wee blast after I got home, and have to say that minus the earplugs it's a much quieter helmet than my Real was with the plugs in.

The wife will be steering me clear of the big bike shops now!! Only one more big upgrade to follow,, "within budget of course"

Cheers guys

What is your next and last big upgrade?

early days yet Can, but I bought a 2nd hand 2.5 year old versys rather than a new one, because I didn't want it to be an impulse buy then find I never have it out of the driveway (I did this before with a phantom),, so I was testing the water so to speak with the versys,, but now I look forward to riding the versys so much,, I try to get out for a minimum of 4 or 6 hour ride 3 times a week, (when I'm home from work) , I'd love to either upgrade to a new 650 versy's OR if I can hold off until I've gained a lot more experience and km's under my belt and go a step up to the Versys1000,, but now it's forward planning and a wee bit of dreaming added there

Power commander-V / Change the exhaust / Decent suspension -- Buying a Versys is a never ending spiral .. not that its a bad thing, you spend your time searching the net for the next bolt-on accessory.

I have that problem with every bike from scooters all the way up to 1300cc :(

Search the Internet and they're will always be some improvement or modification to make it lighter, faster, sexier better than stock

Edited by speedtripler

Power commander-V / Change the exhaust / Decent suspension -- Buying a Versys is a never ending spiral .. not that its a bad thing, you spend your time searching the net for the next bolt-on accessory.

I have that problem with every bike from scooters all the way up to 1300cc :(

Search the Internet and they're will always be some improvement or modification to make it lighter, faster, sexier better than stock

Talking about bolt on's and stuff,, just wondering if anyone has tried the screen extensions or whatever they are called? Those small screen attachments to the main screen, I think the current givi screen I have is the larger one already,

Don't suppose they will help anyway, as it's mainly crosswinds that I have problems with when in the higher ranges,, I suppose if/when I do upgrade to the 1000cc the heavier bike will help counter this

I can't stand those GIVI ironing boards, I have an MRA windscreen, it's rather similar to the stock screen, I got given it as it's missing the x-creen extension.

I don't believe that big is best, there is some science involved in the MRA screens, air enters a slot at the bottom and creates a vortex, wind flowing over the top of the screen is pushed up and over your head ( I'm not that tall ) by the vortex.

I used the stock screen for 5 hours, my head was pushed and pulled all over the show, with the MRA screen it was completely different ride. I would suggest go for new screen and extension if you have the readies.

I'm up your way in October, maybe we need a Versys meet up for the day.

Edited by recom273

I can't stand those GIVI ironing boards, I have an MRA windscreen, it's rather similar to the stock screen, I got given it as it's missing the x-creen extension.

I don't believe that big is best, there is some science involved in the MRA screens, air enters a slot at the bottom and creates a vortex, wind flowing over the top of the screen is pushed up and over your head ( I'm not that tall ) by the vortex.

I used the stock screen for 5 hours, my head was pushed and pulled all over the show, with the MRA screen it was completely different ride. I would suggest go for new screen and extension if you have the readies.

I'm up your way in October, maybe we need a Versys meet up for the day.

I'll check out that MRA screen, did you but it locally?

I'd certainly look forward to the versys meet if it ties in with my work rota,, I'm away to work on Thursday, should be for 8 weeks,, I should be back in Suphanburi sometime around 9th-10th October