Flyers to face B35 fee for airport background check

webfact

1. I have nothing to hide, so it doesn't bother me .

2. They must do whatever possible to eliminate security risks, both on board and to assist in the apprehension of jerks on the run, or jerks coming into the kingdom to do no good.

3. When I see the shitbags coming into Thailand, I wish the authorities would screen in many more ways, .. even just 'filter out' the obvious scum, telling them to get dressed before approaching the Immigration desk. And if they don't posses respectable attire, turn them back.

4. What's pathetic is a smartarse bunch of farang complaining about 35 Baht fee, when you are here, for what?? ... and flying how often? Daily??

When someone falls foul of the law, you are the first to burp, then complain: "Why don't they .... blahh blahh bloody blahh

Get a grip!

I totally agree with you , as this should stop criminals on the run or people on Interpol lists..

But what about those who have old minor(non prison)convictions... Would they be also effected by this system or is it just for those who are on the run from the law as it does state people who are banned to fly of blacklisted .

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see how a country such as the UK would want to share information with Thailand, especially with the debacle over the Koh Tao investigations being blocked and not transparent.

They British would not have appreciated they way they were treated or called it inter agency cooperation.

You also have a military installed here that overthrew a democratic government, that would raise issues as well about information sharing and finally Thailand's human rights issues and well documented corruption.

Doesn't it also throw up loads of human rights issue regards sharing peoples past lives and things such as spent convictions in Europe and how fanatical the EU is on human rights????

I can't see it working to be honest. Christ, the queues can get bad enough at airports now. Look at the recent nonsense caused by security increased checks at Don Muang!!!

Also, people could fly into a neighboring country and cross at a land post, seems weird to me. or simply, go through an airport at Krabi, yes or no?

Calm down guys! If implemented here Thailand will simply be joining an existing system.

Many countries already do this. Certainly UK Immigration and Customs receives details of every incoming flight and exactly who is on it from Thailand already, from the airlines, information which is then checked against a watch list. America also gets details on all incoming passengers from wherever; I guess most European countries do too.

Also, the whole thing should be quite transparent to the traveller. There should be no additional queues as it all works behind the scenes.

Quite what this latest upgrade re Thailand comprises is not clear from the article but the days when one could travel the world incognito are long gone. As with everythig else, "Big Brother is watching", everything you do.

"Quite what this latest upgrade re Thailand comprises is not clear from the article but the days when one could travel the world incognito are long gone. As with everythig else, "Big Brother is watching", everything you do."

Yeah, yeah, yeah, - but why charge 35 baht for it? Ah, sorry TIT, and the UK, most European countries, and probably the US do not charge any fees, but "Shhhh - don't let them know!", otherwise the 35 baht will become $35 or 35 Euros or 35 British Pounds!

I understand why some countries, possibly many or most would not want to have a lot of information shared with Thailand. However, look at it in reverse. Many large countries mandate pre-passenger screening and certain levels of checking before passengers are allowed to fly to the USA, UK, etc. Of course if Thailand mis-uses the information then that is a big issue. I mean, nobody over there needs to know that I make xx$ USD per year. Sure tourist groups would love to know such things and find a way to target me for sales. But also many bad people or groups would like to know who makes how much and where they are going, staying, from etc. The information and data can be exploited in many ways, some with great harm possible

this is a good money maker. Perhaps they can provide some incentive to those airport workers. I think the background check is mute point other than interpol and fbi most wanted, I ugess it don't matter. people are flagged or not flagged. lets see a baggage checker cost as well. see the thrower

1. I have nothing to hide, so it doesn't bother me .

2. They must do whatever possible to eliminate security risks, both on board and to assist in the apprehension of jerks on the run, or jerks coming into the kingdom to do no good.

3. When I see the shitbags coming into Thailand, I wish the authorities would screen in many more ways, .. even just 'filter out' the obvious scum, telling them to get dressed before approaching the Immigration desk. And if they don't posses respectable attire, turn them back.

4. What's pathetic is a smartarse bunch of farang complaining about 35 Baht fee, when you are here, for what?? ... and flying how often? Daily??

When someone falls foul of the law, you are the first to burp, then complain: "Why don't they .... blahh blahh bloody blahh

Get a grip!

however this is not the US, just because the US covers up high murder rate and police atrocities does not mean the rest of the world has to follow. however, yes it is a good tool, keep your citizens afraid of the outside so they don't notice whats going on in the inside. We did it in the UK and throughout Europe. Despite my protestations that this is not the US and we Europeans need not worry they continue to scan me.

I can't see how a country such as the UK would want to share information with Thailand, especially with the debacle over the Koh Tao investigations being blocked and not transparent.

They British would not have appreciated they way they were treated or called it inter agency cooperation.

You also have a military installed here that overthrew a democratic government, that would raise issues as well about information sharing and finally Thailand's human rights issues and well documented corruption.

Doesn't it also throw up loads of human rights issue regards sharing peoples past lives and things such as spent convictions in Europe and how fanatical the EU is on human rights????

I can't see it working to be honest. Christ, the queues can get bad enough at airports now. Look at the recent nonsense caused by security increased checks at Don Muang!!!

Also, people could fly into a neighboring country and cross at a land post, seems weird to me. or simply, go through an airport at Krabi, yes or no?

By all accounts the government that was overthrown was not democratic.

This will be like the fuel surcharge, which interestingly hasn't been reduced or dropped with the fall in fuel costs. So they will slam on the charge at the ticketting level but it will stick, go up, be disguised for infinity, thai Airlines are already amongst the dearest,let's see how much further it can go to completely stuff up the tourist industry.

They did the same on vehicle road fuel transport cost. Use to be Chaing Mai was same price at pump as Bangkok. Then they decided to move the transport fee charge further south toward Bangkok, then the fee itself was increased to 70 stang per liter and these fees have not been reduced since the price of oil has collapsed.

These are not fees that go to cost of running the government but to private companies.This fee hits the Thai as well as the tourists so its safe to say they are screwing everyone. And the government is concerened about loan sharks and their fees. Who is susposed to be controlling the cost of fuel that the taxpayer consumes? It sure as he.. should not be the transport / trucking companies.

I did some calculations last year on the difference between petrol in Bangkok and Suratthani (I think about 2.8 Baht at the time) I factored in labour (driver), vehicle depreciation etc. In the end I think real cost was about 3 Satang per litre (30k tanker).

So now all Thai former police officers will not be able to travel abroad....

I can see how this will work:

1. arrive at the immigration counter cue and wait for two hours.

2. receive a document from the immigration officer with a statement about you.

3. proceed to the payment counter (one counter in the back of the arrival hall before the immigration counters).

4. Get you receipt and go back to the immigration counter cue.

5. after another two hours present the officer with your passport and receipt of payment.

6. after clearing the immigration, proceed to get your baggage in the baggage collection area, however because you are so late you have to pay a storage fee of 12 B.

7. Proceed to the taxi zone, here you have to stand in cue for two hours because out of the 10 taxi cue ticket machines only one is working and that one has been rigged by the taxi mafia so only some specific taxi drivers get passengers.

8. After leaving the airport about 5 minutes into the ride the driver asks you where you wanna go (of course it is written in the papers but don't even start to try to discuss that issue) and he also asks you for your receipt paper. When you tell the driver where you wanna go he says it burnt down a year ago and he knows another much better place. You have to explain to him that you do not care if it burnt down, you still want to go there.

9. After the taxi dumps you on the motorway you spend another hour trying to find a taxi that is not intimidated by the taxi mafia, finally you get to your destination, there the hotel tells you they already gave your room to another guest because you are late, but they still have the luxurious and very expensive super duper suite available, lucky for you they say it is the only room still left in Bangkok.

10. Now in the evening you feel like going out for some seafood, you catch a taxi and tells the driver to go to this famous seafood restaurant that you read about in the brochures, unfortunately it burnt down a year ago the driver tells you......and by the way he tells you "why you stay this expensive hotel? Have many cheap hotel around here, have many room cheap"....

and so on and on......

Edited by AlQaholic

Like the only check they can do is immigration. They cant get police records quickly or personal info. I know that in Australia they cannot give over personal information to anyone or country requesting it. They can make a request for police clearance but that takes weeks & at a cost to the people requesting it. Just a waste of time & our money.

Edited by duckmandon

The additional fee will most likely happen. The General and his army need money asap.

The security check will not happen, at least not in respect to any developed world country.

Someone needs to tel the AoT and his generals that there are privacy laws in effetc in the developed world/. The EU,Canada. Australia, New Zealand, USA and many other countries are not allowed to share much info with Thailand for these types of security checks. Thailand does not have the ability to safeguard the info and to respect privacy.

The additional fee will most likely happen. The General and his army need money asap.

The security check will not happen, at least not in respect to any developed world country.

Someone needs to tel the AoT and his generals that there are privacy laws in effetc in the developed world/. The EU,Canada. Australia, New Zealand, USA and many other countries are not allowed to share much info with Thailand for these types of security checks. Thailand does not have the ability to safeguard the info and to respect privacy.

The US authorities pay attention to privacy laws? I think not.

Typical.

having lived in Thailand for sixteen years, and call thailand my home of record, will i have to pay the baht? also the United states will not (Hopefully) devulge ANY information on it's citizens to a dictatorial government! at least after the current parasite leaves the white house!

Do the authorities really believe they will have access to real-time information from every country in the world ?

What happens when there is a power-out or a computer failure?

Anybody in Thailand heard about hacking ?

Some visitors may be arriving from "non-friendly" countries, or from countries without effective computer records of this information. How will these visitors be processed ?

Databases may contain incorrect records, e.g. people with same names.

Longer waiting times and the potential for ugly scenes at the airports. Not good for tourism !

A recipe for disaster.

If background checking is so important ( considered so for entry to USA and others), why not make it part of the visa application process in the visitors country?

In the United states, when applying for a no O visa to enter Thailand the Thai's require a Police report from the persons police departent before issuing the visa! it is included on the Thai visa charge!

Pathetic

The only thing Pathetic is all you guys rushing to criticize a new security system that may assist in identifyinig criminals and other desirables. You are all quick to comment on how lax Thailand is for letting in so many criminals and when they do something about it you rubbish the plan. . Maybe you are just short of the 35 baht or short on commonsense..

The way I see it, the powers that be have made the announcement, travellers arriving/departing through the nominated airports (only) will be charged the fees and then...........that's it folks, everything will carry on as normal.

This shows you the unprofessional manner of this operation

1 - A airport pass through already flags any wanted fellons

2 - There is no airport in the world that charges people to pass through

3 - they have learnt from police to scam travelers a absolute joke.

What they are doing is lowering the welcome to tourists and furthermore lowering therw own country

:)

Keep it up boys soon not only will the baht fall but your whole economy

So now all Thai former police officers will not be able to travel abroad....

I can see how this will work:

1. arrive at the immigration counter cue and wait for two hours.

2. receive a document from the immigration officer with a statement about you.

3. proceed to the payment counter (one counter in the back of the arrival hall before the immigration counters).

4. Get you receipt and go back to the immigration counter cue.

5. after another two hours present the officer with your passport and receipt of payment.

6. after clearing the immigration, proceed to get your baggage in the baggage collection area, however because you are so late you have to pay a storage fee of 12 B.

7. Proceed to the taxi zone, here you have to stand in cue for two hours because out of the 10 taxi cue ticket machines only one is working and that one has been rigged by the taxi mafia so only some specific taxi drivers get passengers.

8. After leaving the airport about 5 minutes into the ride the driver asks you where you wanna go (of course it is written in the papers but don't even start to try to discuss that issue) and he also asks you for your receipt paper. When you tell the driver where you wanna go he says it burnt down a year ago and he knows another much better place. You have to explain to him that you do not care if it burnt down, you still want to go there.

9. After the taxi dumps you on the motorway you spend another hour trying to find a taxi that is not intimidated by the taxi mafia, finally you get to your destination, there the hotel tells you they already gave your room to another guest because you are late, but they still have the luxurious and very expensive super duper suite available, lucky for you they say it is the only room still left in Bangkok.

10. Now in the evening you feel like going out for some seafood, you catch a taxi and tells the driver to go to this famous seafood restaurant that you read about in the brochures, unfortunately it burnt down a year ago the driver tells you......and by the way he tells you "why you stay this expensive hotel? Have many cheap hotel around here, have many room cheap"....

and so on and on......

I thought this fee was as other underhand charges was added onto the cost of the ticket at point of purchase.

You got your hard cover stamped I have 2 blank pages and they do it deliberate to waste your passport... They are the worst operation I have ever seen

Jokers

Used to get visas that required a full page, on entry they would stamp the middle of an empty page. In my experience here they generally stamp a space on an already stamped page.

Consider this...you arrive in Thailand, pay the 35 baht and get instant clearance. Now do the math....about 25 million tourist arrived in 2014. Do you smell it?

Do you really believe that Thailand could handle 65 million security checks a year.

I did the math it's about 70,000 / day - lots of luck Thailand.

It seems obvious that he doesn't believe they can do the checks.

He believes they can handle the money.

Consider this...you arrive in Thailand, pay the 35 baht and get instant clearance. Now do the math....about 25 million tourist arrived in 2014. Do you smell it?

Do you really believe that Thailand could handle 65 million security checks a year.

I did the math it's about 70,000 / day - lots of luck Thailand.

It seems obvious that he doesn't believe they can do the checks.

He believes they can handle the money.

In the UK they would have put the charge on landing fees or airport tax and you would have been none the wiser. At least here they have the decency to inform you. Will it end up in someone's pocket? Who knows.

I think it's about making money 70 bart each 35 bart in 35 bart out times visitors per year mega millions

Why would they want to charge you twice, surely if you are clear on the way in, then surely you must be clear on the way out.

Yes because everyone who goes to Thailand is good while they are there and never gets into trouble with the police.

I have just looked at a flight reservation confirmation for a flight that I have in Australia on Wednesday. The flight is a domestic leg of a "holiday" back to Australia.

In a break down of the "fees and charges" there is an item ..............................safety and security charge......$4.12 (aud).

Now what do all you whingers imagine that charge relates to .?

Why do they collect that for an internal domestic flight.

Dont you think that similar ALREADY exists on international flights out of Australia.