Where to travel next in SEA

1BADDAT

I am thinking about traveling in the next 4 months around SEA for a long weekend trip or two. Here is a list of the places I have been so far.

Thailand

-Bangkok

-Koh Chang

-Chiangmai

-Kanchanaburi

-Krabi

-Koh Phi Phi

-Koh Samet

Cambodia

-Siem Reap

-Phnom Penh

Indonesia

-Bali

-Jakarta

I am thinking of going to either Vietnam, Laos, or Phillipines next. What do you guys recommend?

Depends what you are looking for, and what can be done in a weekend.

The risk of recommendations is that they are based on 'my' likes.

Areas in Sumatra are fascinating, the way people interact with you is far less commercially orientated than Bali, but land travel is very slow. For example, I'd love to recommend the area of Takengon (North Sumatra), a lush green and hilly coffe growing area. It is tracing back that cup of coffee to one of its sources, seeing it grown, gathered, dried in the sun on tarps alongside road sides, processed by middle men companies locally and sublime cups of coffee can be enjoyed there (and bought for a fraction) there too.

Takengon is lakeside, and the hills rise up around it (including volcanoes) . Time is a factor though. While I remember the roads being fairly good 'up' to Takengon, there is still the time of getting there and back which could eat into a short visit. Banda Aceh or Medan would be starting points for it.

I went to Laos in the 90s before arriving in Thailand for the first time and I don't know how it is now. Topography means it cannot radically change in that way, but what the reception to visitors is like now, I don't know.

I would say the 'trio' of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia are a variation on a theme so to speak (even if that may seem simplistic), but parts of Indonesia always feel quite different to me. If not Sumatra, Central-Eastern Java are great too. Yogyakarta (jojya) is 'ok' (rather overated IMO, living off a romantic past in print) but the gems are around it in the form of Gunung Merapi and Gunung Merbabu, Gunung Sindoro and Gunung Sumbing (both divided by the Kledung Pass. Borobhodur is the 'biggy' site though. All are accessible if flying into Yogyakarta (AirAsia has flights). Further east is the fascinating terrain of Gunung Bromo, Batok and Semeru. Plenty of Bali visitors go to it on tours, so with good reliable logistics it is possible.

Vietnam has more of a Chinese feel to it (especially the north, obviously), and after lots of Asia travel, if I'm honest I was a little underwhelmed.

It may just have been the mood I was in that year though.

Myanmar!!!

before it gets ruined

But a long weekend wont be enough 7-10 days u can see Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake

only 3 days 2 nights Penang, Sinagpore, Hong Kong

4 days/3 nights Luang Prabang

Edited by phuketrichard

Kinda waste of money for short stay's don't you think?

But if thats all you got, Singapore, Langkawai and it would be one of the prettiest places on earth, stay at the oriental village, Tokyo or Osaka, only about 5.5 hrs flight, Macua, plenty of places in China, Sri Lanka, Columbo or Kandy since the air port is in-between the 2 cities and again around a 5.5 hr flight or perhaps an eastern Indian city.

No brainer, really. Hanoi, Vietnam, and make sure that you go Halong Bay and get on an overnight boat. You can not be disappointed with this trip. Plenty of good museums in Hanoi as well. 4 days. Only go to Sapa if you like to mountain climb.

Kinda waste of money for short stay's don't you think?

But if thats all you got, Singapore, Langkawai and it would be one of the prettiest places on earth, stay at the oriental village, Tokyo or Osaka, only about 5.5 hrs flight, Macua, plenty of places in China, Sri Lanka, Columbo or Kandy since the air port is in-between the 2 cities and again around a 5.5 hr flight or perhaps an eastern Indian city.

I work during the week and don't want to burn up my vacation just yet. Maybe if I like the place I will go back for a longer trip. The main cost that would be a waste is the plane ticket, other than that the daily cost is going to be roughly the same.

I have already been to China, Japan, and Korea but none of those are in SEA. Thanks for all your suggestions.

No doubt Vietnam - Saigon, DA Nang, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Hue ... the list is endless - clean wonderful beaches, not like the cesspools here ...

On hotel, food and drinks you can save about 50% compared to overpriced Thailand ... and you get better quality ...

When my Thai wife and I are staying in BKK,

We love to fly to Kuala Lumpur. I love that place.

Very clean and just seeing the "Twin Towers" is awesome.

1. Kuala Lumpur

2. HCMC Vietnam - beaches south Vietnam

3. Spanky's - Nana Plaza

Travel Safe.

Luang Prabang gets my vote. An utterly charming little town.

+1

We were there about 6 weeks ago, and had a great time.

A trip to Kuang Si waterfalls is recommended highly.

+1 Since you've just a weekend, Luang Prabang is a good choice.

Get up early and see the hundreds of orange clad monks on their morning alms trek, definitely visit the waterfalls, and in the evening, if I remember, there's a night market (not sure on that one). It would make a lovely weekend trip.

enjoy.

Myanmar!!!

before it gets ruined

Some might argue it already is well under way.

I went there 11 years ago now, and although it was nice and good people were met, the unavoidable 'industry' of transport was already double charging, along with similar antics elsewhere.I confirmed this one day (I forget where in the country) when going to the village bus station and enquiring about a bus ticket for tommorow. On being told, to me it seemed very high for a sardine can bus. I returned to my guesthouse and got my guesthouse owner (without letting him know I'd already checked) to call the same statuon just down the road, enquiring the same.

Yep, you guesed it. Then the guesthouse owner told him who wanted it, and there was a pause (ha). I got the 'actual' price in the end. Some may argue that perhaps on things like transport the junta gave instruction at the time to charge more for foreigners, but eventually I got a proper price so I suspect not in that particular area.

It was clear to me at least that people were clammering for a slice of Thailand's pie, and foreigners were first and foremost seen as a financial 'opportunity' already, in areas foreigners were allowed to visit. In itself, fine, but my parents visited in a year when it had opened up more and there was a major supply and demand issue and mindset going on, they reported

Numbers of accomodation in areas of the country was already limited during my visit, but apparently it got much worse. They were finding places completely full or booked out in advance, and the few rat hole options left were charging something like $25 for the sort of rathole that they recognised from India as being less than 100 Rupees per night to stay in.

Accommodation owners were charging that simply because they 'could'. Fine, but it makes you ponder if there was any existing innocence to 'lose' with tourism in the first place and I suppose also questions the concept that places get 'ruined' solely by external forces or whether inate greed or other factors are involved in the outcome once tourism begins to grow.

I heard or read recently that now foreigners have to pay to enter the 'environs' of Inle Lake? Some countries are transformed by foreigners, but some just have existing predispositions mere!y drawn 'out' as tourism grows.

I am unsure which Myanmar is.

not ruined at all;

my first trip was way back in 1988 (where u got 7 days and had a currency form that u had to show every exchange in when u left)

last trip was in April this year

been watching the changes for long time,

its got some problems but i have never experienced double charging and have traveled by trains, planes and Boats, not yet sampled a bus, no reason too

People are great and love talking (as now they can) you have various options of travel; Boats, bus's, trains, Planes,cars to get many places.

Yes u pay charges to enter places ( Bagan, the temples in Mandalay, Inle lake) but its not much, ( if $10 hurts ya, stay home)

Look what it costs to go to places in Europe or the states.

Plenty of new places to stay and it seems for a double room, air con,wifi, tv with cable, hot shower it averages $25/night ($35-40 high Season)

(a bit more than u would pay for the same room in Thailand

Its shame that they have the worst food in SE Asia :-) although their plenty of Chinese restaurants around an Shan food is not bad.

Large Beer $1.25, small bottle of Mandalay run $1.50

my first trip was way back in 1988

Ah, well that carries a lot of weight to your view.

(especially if you have returned over the years, and this year).

Agreed on the forgettable food by the way (also found the Shan food good)

Going by your first post though, it seems you feel 'ruined' is imminent?

No brainer, really. Hanoi, Vietnam, and make sure that you go Halong Bay and get on an overnight boat. You can not be disappointed with this trip. Plenty of good museums in Hanoi as well. 4 days. Only go to Sapa if you like to mountain climb.

Always check the weather reports on where ever you plan to travel.thumbsup.gif

http://www.vietnamtourism.info/news/bad-weather-hits-tourist-boats-in-ha-long-bay.htm#.VcZBd_mttdg

more tourists= locals accommodate them more an their attitudes change

my last trip i saw 2 other tourists in a week of travel up north.

High season, i have heard, is already approaching being spoiled as tourist hit the 4 main places (85% )

Yangon, Mandlalay, Bagan, Inle lake

I recall traveling thru parts of Nepal in the 70's, Thailand in the early 80's and Cambodia in the late 80's where if a small child saw you they cried

an ran to mom

Now they run to you and shout "$1, candy, present" That's spoiled

Still for now there are plenty of places to travel to and experience the warmth of the country.

• 3 months later...

Can recommend Vientiane, Laos - lovely people, slow pace of life.

Vietnam - personally pick Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) over Hanoi hands down for more reasons than one. If you are flying from BKK, then SGN (saigon) is closer, cheaper flights/flying time. From elsewhere, maybe HANoi has more flights coming in.

Found Hanoi to be like a fishmarket. Bussling, pushing, shoving, you name it. People are arrogant, crafty, and have little manners. Saigon people are much calm and collected and have cool heads.

If you do visit the old quarter in Hanoi, take extreme care on the roads if you are walking/crossing the road. Motorbikes coming from all angles. Some will cut across you just to park on the pavement.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Can recommend Vientiane, Laos - lovely people, slow pace of life.

Vietnam - personally pick Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) over Hanoi hands down for more reasons than one. If you are flying from BKK, then SGN (saigon) is closer, cheaper flights/flying time. From elsewhere, maybe HANoi has more flights coming in.

Found Hanoi to be like a fishmarket. Bussling, pushing, shoving, you name it. People are arrogant, crafty, and have little manners. Saigon people are much calm and collected and have cool heads.

If you do visit the old quarter in Hanoi, take extreme care on the roads if you are walking/crossing the road. Motorbikes coming from all angles. Some will cut across you just to park on the pavement.

i am going to Saigon for the long Father's Day weekend. I am looking forward to it.

I went to Philippines a few months ago and wasn't really impressed. Did not really feel safe there.