Budget airlines must declare number of seats available for sale in their promotion campaigns

webfact

Low cost airlines must declare number of seats and remaining seats to customers in their promotion campaigns

11824083_10153527250198637_1109756001_n-

BANGKOK: -- All budget airlines must declare the total number of their seats and tell customers how many seats are left while they are booking for seats in the airlines' promotion campaigns.

This requirement was disclosed by the permanent secretary for Transport Mrs Soithip Trisuddhi after chairing a meeting with low cost airlines to fix the airfares.

She said that from October last year to June this year, the ministry received 50 complaints from customers, breaking down to refund for flight delays, lost property, and exaggeration of advertisements particularly in promotion campaign which the ministry is monitoring closely to take action with them.

She said presently airfare of low cost airline was capped at 13 baht per kilometre but the airlines could dump airfare in their competition because it would benefit customers.

But she noted that some budget airlines had dumped airfares to cut throat prices which discourage other operators to compete.

This prompted the ministry to monitor their promotion campaign closely as the ministry received numerous complaints from customers booking for seats in the airlines’ promotion campaign that they could hardly get the seats with replies that no more seats were left.

She said further that she has now ordered the Civil Aviation Department to reach understanding with all low cost airlines that they must launch promotion campaign at the same standard which mean they must disclose the number of seats in their promotion campaign and how many seats left unsold when customers phoned in to book, as some were exaggerated.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/low-cost-airlines-must-declare-number-of-seats-and-remaining-seats-to-customers-in-their-promotion-campaigns

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-04

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4-3-2-1-0

There are usually very few seats in the least/expensive, highly-promoted fare buckets.

Some airlines do this today, on their booking site(s). "There are three tickets available at this price."

But she noted that some budget airlines had dumped airfares to cut throat prices which discourage other operators to compete.

In the olden days (in the U.S.), airlines would use "Foxtrot Uniform" designator/prefix for these fare buckets, meant to send a message.

Edited by bamnutsak

Can someone forward this idea to whoever regulates Ryan air's promotions?

He's now with Malaysian Airlines...part of the shake up to return the airline to profit.

Another airline to add to the list titled

"Under no circumstances whatsoever"

Though to be honest I avoid budget airlines these days.....

Edited by Bluespunk

Air Asia comes to mind ... constantly receiving mails with amazing promotions only to find out that its fake prices they advertise ...

They are not fake! I flew myself SG->BKK for 9 (nine) Bath once

And later for 300.

People keep forgetting that they are not alone in the internet.

I also have had some bargains, however recently I had an e mail from air asia about a promotion, and within 30 mins went to their website and the ticket was not available at the quoted price. Fair enough if I was just too late, however the same advert appeared in the newspaper the following day, now that certainly is not right

Air Asia comes to mind ... constantly receiving mails with amazing promotions only to find out that its fake prices they advertise ...

And later for 300.

Ahhhh Mother Teresa are they..... You should not mislead the public not worry about the airlines... Introducing your so called " high tech systems "

Hey JUNTA your staff can not even respect a travelers passport and respect them.. They stamp in middle of pages and skip pages WHAT THE>>>>>> IS THAT. And your telling the airlines not to mislead

I think your not revoted

They should also be obliged to clearly list all add-on fees which apply to the basic fare listed.

This should also include any charges which apply to credit/debt cards.

Everybody should be able to see all this at a glance, without it being revealed on successive web pages after the initial "bait"

I use Air Asia extensively, and find that their promotions come into effect mainly at 5am Thai time.

From what I can ascertain, the very low fares , for which booking at least 6 months in advance is necessary, apply to just 4 seats per flight, and once they have been booked, normal fares come in to play.

Naturally they go quickly, and often at 6am on first promo day, some dates do not have the promo fare.

I also have had some bargains, however recently I had an e mail from air asia about a promotion, and within 30 mins went to their website and the ticket was not available at the quoted price. Fair enough if I was just too late, however the same advert appeared in the newspaper the following day, now that certainly is not right

And later for 300.

AA makes it quite clear that there are 5 promo seats on each flight. Because I book well in advance, I am able to access these every flight, and usually wait for their big sales which bring prices down considerably.

Was the promo fare not available, or not available on the dates you required? There is a major difference.

And later for 300.

Checking with my local renovation centre in Bkk I see the basic bath tub is worth 3800 Baht, so it it cost you nine baths, you paid the equal value of 34,200 Thai Baht

That is not my opinion of a cheap flight (tongue in cheek)

Find some comments about AirAsia a bit negative. Recently they had end of financial year sale. It was about 2 weeks before end June. They then had another just before end financial year. Prob to boost bottom line. Anyway I had no trouble booking approx 60 flights from now till end Aug 2016. Some examples 200baht return to krabi. 1400 return HCMC. 600 return udon thani.

I won't go on. Many more. Also no silly booking fees. Unlike jetstar.

I love AirAsia and also don muang.

Also next trip to AU we travel all over country as they had a two for one sale. Example fly back melb to bkk $340aud for 2 people.

I find the airline sales easy and honest.

Find some comments about AirAsia a bit negative. Recently they had end of financial year sale. It was about 2 weeks before end June. They then had another just before end financial year. Prob to boost bottom line. Anyway I had no trouble booking approx 60 flights from now till end Aug 2016. Some examples 200baht return to krabi. 1400 return HCMC. 600 return udon thani.

Also next trip to AU we travel all over country as they had a two for one sale. Example fly back melb to bkk $340aud for 2 people.

Have you ever tried to change a ticket with them ? If you ever do you will also be negative.

Have you ever tried to change a ticket with them ? If you ever do you will also be negative.

Most likely because you expected to get the same great deal of a promo flight on the changed ticket, and it just doesn't happen. For example, I have a late Oct booking KUL - Gold Coast that cost me AU$114. If I wanted to change that to the next day there would be a fee plus an extra $72 for the difference in ticket price.

Ahhhh Mother Teresa are they..... You should not mislead the public not worry about the airlines... Introducing your so called " high tech systems "

Hey JUNTA your staff can not even respect a travelers passport and respect them.. They stamp in middle of pages and skip pages WHAT THE>>>>>> IS THAT. And your telling the airlines not to mislead

I think your not revoted

Enough with your passport analogy already-how many more threads are you gonna bring it into???...nobody (besides you) cares.

Can someone forward this idea to whoever regulates Ryan air's promotions?

He's now with Malaysian Airlines...part of the shake up to return the airline to profit.

He joined Malaysian Airlines from Aer Lingus, not Ryanair

A couple of days ago I booked a return flight with AA, and because I'm travelling alone outbound and with a friend on return, I decided to pay extra to choose a jump seat on outbound so I could keep good time getting off the plane and meeting at my pickup point, but wasn't bothered for the return since I'd be with my friend and we'd both be leaving on the same flight.

It was an additional 428 baht and that's okay, but the website also applied another 428 baht to the return even though I didn't select a seat for that flight. I thought I must be in error, so repeated the whole thing 2 times more, and in the end just accepted that I couldn't get the first option without it being applied to the return (even though I haven't selected any seat). For an international company I would expect a little better of their website. The final total price was a little shy of 30% more than the original price.

I think your not revoted

According to the headline they must not mislead DURING the promotion.

The line between 'promotion' and 'deception' can be exceedingly thin. But there is still a difference...of sorts. Unfortunately for the public, neither is excluded in the concept of 'marketing'.

Edited by Hayduke

Just like Agoda does in her advertising, only one room left.

I consider this false advertisement, thus lying.

You are so right. Agoda, although I still use them at times, is dishonest. They are owned by Priceline. I sometimes stay at a hotel in Chaiyaphum. They quoted me a price, and I said let me check Agoda. The hotel price was the same as Agoda, but then Agoda adds a 10% service charge, and a 7% Vat, neither of which the hotel charges. Here is a hotel probably trying to earn 10% over the course of a year from their investment. Agoda, with $0 investment in the hotel, is making 17%, in 1 minute of their computers time. That is a great way to make money. You build no structure, and still receive a better return than the hotel. Genius!

I responded to an Air Asia advertising campaign in June in which I could book flights from mid-February through to the end of August 2016. I booked 11 domestic flights for that period, at the price advertised, with every flight I wanted available.

Unless there is blatantly dishonest advertising, governments should not interfere in a company's business. They received 50 complaints? How many tens of thousands of people flew in that same period? Why not tackle something that needs tackling, such as mini-van driving and taxis refusing fares. Just doing it for one day every six months for show is pointless.

I had to learn all about it but I agree with all your comments.

Yes, you need to book ahead but always good value.

huh ?....how can a land lubber such as yourself say that ? air Asia flights are pretty good deals if you do not mind off hour flights . I actually fly . but the tickets for really cheap seats are few .