Is a hatred of Thailand and Thais part of being an expat?

krisb

Hatred of everything is part of being an expat.

That's why they left their home country (hatred of their home country).

('hatred' may be a bit too strong, 'dislike' may be a better word to use)

So it's a vicious circle, misery is infectious perhaps?

Sad because life's so short.

I think that's it. Some people will never like anywhere and just bring their baggage from place to place.

Thailand has many problems, I weigh the pros and cons of any place and if the cons overwhelm, then outta there.

Right now I stay for the pros.

Which pros are you on about? Nudge nudge.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's what forums are for .. I'm also on a football one , and all that happens there is moaning too .. It's somewhere to vent your spleen..

Nobody else will listen , esp her indoors ..

Everybody loves to moan , we wouldn't want it any other way ... Do people really want to hear about the nice dinner I had last night ? Or the beautiful scenery I was looking at on Tuesday , my mothers coming over next month ? .... No we want to hear about your misfortunes , or something that's wrong ( so we can avoid or prepare for it ) ..

So in effect, misery sells?

That's what forums are for .. I'm also on a football one , and all that happens there is moaning too .. It's somewhere to vent your spleen..

Nobody else will listen , esp her indoors ..

Everybody loves to moan , we wouldn't want it any other way ... Do people really want to hear about the nice dinner I had last night ? Or the beautiful scenery I was looking at on Tuesday , my mothers coming over next month ? .... No we want to hear about your misfortunes , or something that's wrong ( so we can avoid or prepare for it ) ..

So in effect, misery sells?

Used to spend a lot of time in a "crew room" waiting for an aircraft to break down. Everyone was happiest moaning about our employer and how stupid the locals were.

I don’t know about the rest of you but I like it here.smile.png

I can’t say for certain whether I like it here because I have lived here so long or I have lived here so long because I like it here, but the end result is the same. Generally when people start complaining I find an excuse to leave the room.

In my opinion being negative does not relieve stress, it reinforces those feelings and behaviors, making them more a part of your neural network and harder to overcome.

Actually for me hatred would describe where I was born and grew up. If was never a home. The place is a boil on the at.. of humanity. Nevertheless lots of humanity wants to go there.

Thailand can be a frustrating place and sometimes I wonder why I'm here then I remeber that all in all there are worse places to be. Take the good and the bad. The good always wins out in the end for me.

I can’t say for certain whether I like it here because I have lived here so long or I have lived here so long because I like it here, but the end result is the same. Generally when people start complaining I find an excuse to leave the room.

In my opinion being negative does not relieve stress, it reinforces those feelings and behaviors, making them more a part of your neural network and harder to overcome.

As with everywhere it is what you choose to make it. Where I worked was a shade oppressive. If you were careful you could have a great time. Thailand is great, meet the wrong person and could turn into a nightmare. Worst real life ripoffs I know about did not happen here. Awful divorce tales from the west. Not involved myself but you could not make them up.

I think you can go to Koh Tao aka Death Island - none of the TV members, exept the shills of course, will be there ... Have a nice trip (dont bother getting a return-ticket, you might not be able to use it as you might know) ...

What you like to call "hatred" others would call criticism but criticism is very unpopular here in Thailand as the dear Leader also can tell you - AA Camp and all that ...

Would you rather have more censorship than people criticise something like World-record in drunk driving and road killings ... ??? Should people be quiet about dispicable Things like the Slavery in Fishing Industry ... ? Do you want to live in DDR ??? Dont worry Thailand is gonna get there soon ... thanks to people like you !!!

Asheron, yes I see your point, but that is at the smaller end of the scale, look at the UK Government, the banks, their pensions etc etc.

Nothing like bunging a cop with a hundred quid to get out of a minor traffic offense.

Maybe "we" should have a governments more like in Iceland after their collapse? It's never going to happen as the vast majority of the voters have the memory of a gold fish and forget everything when a politician says "we'll lower/raise taxes 0,05% next term".

Asheron, yes I see your point, but that is at the smaller end of the scale, look at the UK Government, the banks, their pensions etc etc.

Nothing like bunging a cop with a hundred quid to get out of a minor traffic offense.

Maybe "we" should have a governments more like in Iceland after their collapse? It's never going to happen as the vast majority of the voters have the memory of a gold fish and forget everything when a politician says "we'll lower/raise taxes 0,05% next term".

Very true.

I think you can go to Koh Tao aka Death Island - none of the TV members, exept the shills of course, will be there ... Have a nice trip (dont bother getting a return-ticket, you might not be able to use it as you might know) ...

What you like to call "hatred" others would call criticism but criticism is very unpopular here in Thailand as the dear Leader also can tell you - AA Camp and all that ...

Would you rather have more censorship than people criticise something like World-record in drunk driving and road killings ... ??? Should people be quiet about dispicable Things like the Slavery in Fishing Industry ... ? Do you want to live in DDR ??? Dont worry Thailand is gonna get there soon ... thanks to people like you !!!

Death Island, slavery etc. Wonderful.

The people that have time to batch & complain about everything have "Issues". The people that have a life are busy living it.

The people jungle treking & riding elephants & bamboo rafts in natural suroundings don't have time to complain or reason to

they are contented. The excersize they get & mental stimulation activates seratonin & other self created feel good chemicals.

they smile & listen to people who try to talk to them therefore people treat them nicely. The beer bar hounds get hangovers,

drunk, ripped off (suprise drunks are easy to rip off) wander around with ugly in their face ugly in their voices, ugly in their attitudes

& are treated ugly. Suprise. So they complain the world has it in for me.

Leads to the downward depression spiral.

No energy, no interests, bored, find a computer to complain at. Biatch, Biatch, Biatch. I am not happy but it is not my fault

UHHHH So it must be ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .That said depression is a bitch & very hard spiral to get out of.

I think that's it. Some people will never like anywhere and just bring their baggage from place to place.

Thailand has many problems, I weigh the pros and cons of any place and if the cons overwhelm, then outta there.

While I realize your reply is tongue in cheek, not all of us come for the pussy and the whores.

I didn't do it in my home country and just because it's cheap here, doesn't mean I'll do it here.

Thailand has revitalized my creativity.. I paint, sketch and photograph. I'm doing a lot more art.

I like chiwit tammada...simple life. I like the weather, the people, the food, and the general feeling.

When you make suggestions that people came for the cheap sex you are actually being insulting to people who didn't.

Again I note your reply was said in good humour.

Part of the problem is that some of the more "Vocal" members who post are extremely negative, and because of the high number of posts they generate it can seem that overall there is a majority of expats with huge grievances. I have found over the last 35 years, that many things have gotten worse here, but somethings are a little better. It also makes bugger all difference what we say anyway, as no expat opinion will change things.

Agree. I know a few of these constant complainers. Never a positive thing to say. Of course, in every instance, these whiners/whingers have problems of their own. Except they'll never admit that it's about them and not the Thais or Thailand. TV is fertile ground for these types of losers. Avoid them at all cost!

While I realize your reply is tongue in cheek, not all of us come for the pussy and the whores.

I didn't do it in my home country and just because it's cheap here, doesn't mean I'll do it here.

Thailand has revitalized my creativity.. I paint, sketch and photograph. I'm doing a lot more art.

I like chiwit tammada...simple life. I like the weather, the people, the food, and the general feeling.

When you make suggestions that people came for the cheap sex you are actually being insulting to people who didn't.

Again I note your reply was said in good humour.

I do apologise. Childish reply, but bought up on The Two Ronnies.

Your evidence is skewed ... you are mostly hearing from some very unhappy people ... of they drink way too much and their brains and outlook on life has soured ....

But the vast majority of Expat and Long stay tourists are just fine with this country and people, There are a few aggravations - but it is just life... I had any number of aggravations back in the states. I do not perfectly interact with Thai people 100 percent of the time ...but the vast majority of time it is just fine.

In my daily rounds about town I am quite pleases with the smiles, nods of heads, hellos and Sawatdees and Khob khun mak khrup I get and give ... I am quite a happy camper. And I host a group of around 3000 Expats and Long Stay Tourists on FB and the stories told are not in the majority about problems in Thailand ...

Get off TVF and go about town and see...

Expats do not come here to live for the express purpose of Thai bashing...however...over time, having been scammed by every Thai from the noodle vendor to the teller at the bank...one gets understandable pissed at the constant barrage of BS one has to endure to live here...

Until you have a few years of living with the Thais under your belt...do not castigate the expats...it is not "hatred" that causes them to vent here...it is frustration at having to deal with in-your-face corruption on a daily basis...IMHO

No One hates Thailand or the Thais rather we simply hate some of the incompetence and the many things going on that go on here in Thailand.

Besides, whining and whinging and criticizing and pointing figures at the other people and blaming others when they are to be blamed and demanding satisfaction where satisfaction should be afforded any consumer and wanting things to be corrected when they need to be corrected and justice where justice is due and the right way verses the wrong way or certainly a better way while people doing any number of things in a senseless uncaring way while stupidity and incompetence is always recognized and pointed out where ever you go ...and no matter where you choose to live.....so No ...we do not hate Thailand and the Thais ...rather we are just more observant and more vocal about what we observe.

Besides when something's are done correctly and done well ....we also applaud them and recognize their skills and abilities.

Cheers

I think this must rank as the most stupid post I have ever read. Even if you were to replace the word hate with dislike, I am sure 90+ percent of expats would not fit into your description. People on forums ten to complain about things, that does't display hate. Take for example Thai driving, its very bad. One might hate the way Thais drive, but that certainly does not mean we hate the drivers, or the country.

Hi there. Thailand is a wonderful country country still have the same problem our home countries has. I have been visiting Thailand for 30 years, worked 25 years on international cruise ships so have been in most countries around the world and my personal view is that Thailand is a great country for vacation, retirement etc. 90% of expats are very happy here, the 10% of negative loudmouths here have probably never been happy anywhere they lived. There is a lot of guys that live or visit Thailand and spend most of the time in the gay or lady bars. And there you hear a lot of the same badmouthing that you read in this forum. Personally don't understand that they believe they are above the rest of the tourists or expats here, but to be honest they have probably been the same way at home that's why they are lonely without partners and have nothing to do besides complaining and hunting in the beer bars for beer and 2 legged pray prey, and of course the Thais have to speak their language because they are above the Thai population.