90 Days Reporting: How long does it take

Beng

Did it yesterday, they had been closed for 4 day holiday/weekend rather busy, I arrived during the lunch break, then the very caotic number table scrim, got a number and waited close to 2 hours to be called, strangely there are many chairs stacked inside the office and a large area in front of the desks so someone's intention was to have people waiting inside but that has not been implemented. The air temp is pleasant outside for now. .... some good 2 for 1 sales at rimping wink.png

Edited by daoyai

Did it yesterday, they had been closed for 4 day holiday/weekend rather busy, I arrived during the lunch break, then the very caotic number table scrim, got a number and waited close to 2 hours to be called, strangely there are many chairs stacked inside the office and a large area in front of the desks so someone's intention was to have people waiting inside but that has not been implemented. The air temp is pleasant outside for now. .... some good 2 for 1 sales at rimping wink.png

Thanks, that's pretty slow. My longest ever wait at the old place was around 90 min.

I was there twice the first week they were open. Did a 90 day report and waited 2 hours, arriving just after lunch. A couple days later I was at Promenada for something else and stopped by to see how long 90 day reports were taking and people said 30 - 45 minutes. On that day, people were going into the office and unstacking the chairs and just sitting down inside. It was hot that day. It was just a few people, one was a visa agent. An Immigration officer told her that as long as people were quiet they wouldn't ask people to leave, but he didn't look very happy with the punters taking over. (This is where it helps to be able to understand Thai.)

Showed up at Promenada around 0940 on an ordinary Tuesday, received Q number 40 (green plastic-covered card) at the outside "check-in" desk that, regardless of the sign above it, is for all queues. They were processing 29-30-31 at the time. The 90-day processing desk (sign posted inside above it) only had two people working, and one was a female senior Immigration officer who had to handle every set of paperwork. They were calling people in groups of three, and no problem understanding the announcements. The queue (which is really just a gaggle of folks sitting or standing around waiting to be called) was moving quickly until a problem arose with a Japanese woman that took almost 25 minutes to resolve. Even so I was finished by 10:40 or so.

Showed up at Promenada around 0940 on an ordinary Tuesday, received Q number 40 (green plastic-covered card) at the outside "check-in" desk that, regardless of the sign above it, is for all queues. They were processing 29-30-31 at the time. The 90-day processing desk (sign posted inside above it) only had two people working, and one was a female senior Immigration officer who had to handle every set of paperwork. They were calling people in groups of three, and no problem understanding the announcements. The queue (which is really just a gaggle of folks sitting or standing around waiting to be called) was moving quickly until a problem arose with a Japanese woman that took almost 25 minutes to resolve. Even so I was finished by 10:40 or so.

Good report, thanks. Sounds reasonable.

Good report, thanks. Sounds reasonable.

There is nothing reasonable about it taking an hour to hand in a form. Relative to how bad it has been in the past it may be better, but I wouldn't say it's good. This only high-lights how bad a service most people are used to.

Personally, I do it by mail and have no idea as to why anyone doesn't. A trip to a post office is a lot easier than a trip to immigration and it's easier for everyone involved. I'm surprised (not really) that immigration don't promote it more.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

While we're on the topic, I'm curious to know the answer. Why do people trudge off to immigration to do 90 day reports(especially when it was the old place) ? Do you not trust the post? Maybe the Post Office is too far? There must be a good reason, but I can't think of one.

Why? A stress free 40 minutes or so and never any question about whether or not you'll receive a correctly-dated reply. The actual processing only takes a very few minutes. It's not a big deal either way unless:

1. You just hate waiting, and/or

2. You are comfortable with the risk inherent in mail, and/or

3. You just enjoy criticizing people who make different choices from yours.

As for promoting mail-ins, it might be worthwhile considering how many mistakes people make in even the simplest process. Watch it happen regularly at the Immigration office every day. In real time, corrections are usually fairly trivial. When the person involved is absent, a whole different set of issues arises. If I were the Immigration boss, I'd probably stop mail-ins altogether and ensure the online reporting system worked well (with bullet-proof built-in checking so errors could not make it through approval.). But hey, TIT.

Why? A stress free 40 minutes or so and never any question about whether or not you'll receive a correctly-dated reply. The actual processing only takes a very few minutes. It's not a big deal either way unless:

As for promoting mail-ins, it might be worthwhile considering how many mistakes people make in even the simplest process. Watch it happen regularly at the Immigration office every day. In real time, corrections are usually fairly trivial. When the person involved is absent, a whole different set of issues arises. If I were the Immigration boss, I'd probably stop mail-ins altogether and ensure the online reporting system worked well (with bullet-proof built-in checking so errors could not make it through approval.). But hey, TIT.

How does "I'm curious" come across as criticising?

Just to clarify for the overly-sensitive, I am merely curious, if you're happy going to immigration, that's fine by me.

1 is certainly true of me, and as for 2, I don't see a risk in doing it by mail if you send it registered.

Scrap 90-day by mail!! Have you ever done it? It's a piece of cake and certainly a lot more convenient for everyone involved. If I were the boss, I'd stop 90-day reporting all-together or failing that, get the on-line system working.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Problem is Ozziepat its not always 40 minutes as some have indicated,can be up to 2 hours and in some cases its a "come back tomorrow"

You are right its a matter of choice but using EMS, and you have a tracking numbe,r its 100 % reliable, unless someone comes on here and says it doesnt work.

Stop mail in ??? believe it or not many older people either dont have a computer/printer or dont feel comfortable using one.

But be it mail in or online surely the benefit is less people at Immigration,is that not a good thing ?

For a variety of reasons, some people may miss the 15 - 7 day in advance window for mailing in their 90 day reports or doing on-line reporting.

They may not have access to a computer or the right kind of computer or otherwise be unable to make on-line reporting work for them.

They may not have enough disposable income to pay a visa agent to do it for them.

They may not be able to print out a TM 47 form at home and/or make copies of the relevant passport pages.

They may want someone to check their TM 47 form and copies to be sure they're submitting the proper documents.

They may need help in filling out their TM 47 form -- perhaps arthritis has claimed their ability to write and they can always find another expat at Immigration who is willing to complete the form for them.

And on it goes.

You should not stand in judgement of others until you walk a mile in their shoes........

Edited by NancyL

For a variety of reasons, some people may miss the 15 - 7 day in advance window for mailing in their 90 day reports or doing on-line reporting.

They may not have access to a computer or the right kind of computer or otherwise be unable to make on-line reporting work for them.

They may not have enough disposable income to pay a visa agent to do it for them.

They may not be able to print out a TM 47 form at home and/or make copies of the relevant passport pages.

They may want someone to check their TM 47 form and copies to be sure they're submitting the proper documents.

They may need help in filling out their TM 47 form -- perhaps arthritis has claimed their ability to write and they can aRlways find another expat at Immigration who is willing to complete the form for them.

And on it goes.

You should not stand in judgement of others until you walk a mile in their shoes........

Thanks for the explanation. Pity about the last sentence though.

How does curiosity in finding out why people don't do 90-day by post become standing in judgement?

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Personally, I do it by mail and have no idea as to why anyone doesn't. A trip to a post office is a lot easier than a trip to immigration and it's easier for everyone involved. I'm surprised (not really) that immigration don't promote it more.

Even easier Joe, to do what I do - hand it to my postman (actually we have a post lady now). Takes all of 30 seconds.

Why are people going in person?????

How does "I'm curious" come across as criticising?

Just to clarify for the overly-sensitive, I am merely curious, if you're happy going to immigration, that's fine by me.

1 is certainly true of me, and as for 2, I don't see a risk in doing it by mail if you send it registered.

Scrap 90-day by mail!! Have you ever done it? It's a piece of cake and certainly a lot more convenient for everyone involved. If I were the boss, I'd stop 90-day reporting all-together or failing that, get the on-line system working.

Right. If I were the boss I would scrap 90-day reports too. But failing that, I would require it to be done by post only.

With the danger of being too logical for Thailand, why not allow people to drop off the form and a bit of money for postage at the office and they could mail the notice back? they could have a stack of prestamped envelopes, just fill in your address, drop you tm47 and other useless paperwork in the box... and off to shop at the Prom, no waiting in que , maybe a minute or 2 to buy the envelope or have the girl check your docs for errors. .... or better yet, they could just email their confirmation of receipt, no need to send anything back.

Edited by daoyai

With the danger of being too logical for Thailand, why not allow people to drop off the form and a bit of money for postage at the office and they could mail the notice back? they could have a stack of prestamped envelopes, just fill in your address, drop you tm47 and other useless paperwork in the box... and off to shop at the Prom, no waiting in que , maybe a minute or 2 to buy the envelope or have the girl check your docs for errors. .... or better yet, they could just email their confirmation of receipt, no need to send anything back.

You nailed it, far too logical.

One time I was borderline for mailing in, so I thought I'd drop it off at immigration as I was nearby anyway. I had a stamped self-addressed envelope inside for them to post back my slip so I just went to the information desk to ask if they could accept it or show me where to leave it. The guy asked me why I don't just wait and take a queue number, so I explained that I didn't have the time (or the inclination). In the end he just opened my envelope and did it there and then, no waiting!

There is a pinned topic here for 90 day by post, it's very easy and more or less fool-proof if you send it registered. I've done it a dozen times or more without a hitch.

One time I was borderline for mailing in, so I thought I'd drop it off at immigration as I was nearby anyway. I had a stamped self-addressed envelope inside for them to post back my slip so I just went to the information desk to ask if they could accept it or show me where to leave it. The guy asked me why I don't just wait and take a queue number, so I explained that I didn't have the time (or the inclination). In the end he just opened my envelope and did it there and then, no waiting!

There is a pinned topic here for 90 day by post, it's very easy and more or less fool-proof if you send it registered. I've done it a dozen times or more without a hitch.

Post is the only way. I just hand mine to my post lady. Have been doing it for years. NEVER a problem.

I went in person today, to Promenada to do a 90 day report. I arrived at 13:00 and was too late. The staff advised an 08:00 arrival if you want to make a 90 day report. This is not an improvement on the old airport office where a 90 day report could be done late afternoon if you wished, as long as they were open. I asked why if it only tales 1 minute or so to process a 90 day report why 13:00 was too late? The lady said they don't use computers and everything is done on paper. They have a set limit now on how many 90 day reports they will accept on each day.

The other thing i need to do is renew my marriage extension anytime over the next few weeks so after being rejected by Prom i went to the airport office to check if i can do 90 day report whilst i do my marriage extension say next week. They said no! You must do the 90 day at Prom and then visit the airport office for marriage extension. Very helpful! Just for info the airport office was full at 14:00 today all seats taken but without all the people standing around and queuing up at the counter area so that is a partial improvement.

CNXBKKMAN said: "The lady said they don't use computers and everything is done on paper."

That's a pretty significant statement, IMO. Unless someone back at the home office is simultaneously entering the transactions from the Promenada Office into their database.....yikes.

Explains why the on-line queue system hasn't been available, I suppose.

CNXBKKMAN said: "The lady said they don't use computers and everything is done on paper."

That's a pretty significant statement, IMO. Unless someone back at the home office is simultaneously entering the transactions from the Promenada Office into their database.....yikes.

Explains why the on-line queue system hasn't been available, I suppose.

Is it a temporary IT glitch at the new office or is it how they intend to run the Prom office? Who knows.

This would be the stumbling block, payment for someone to check efficiently.

If no-one checked and you didn't get some kind of receipt and then didn't receive it back, you would have no proof of dropping it off.........would you?

It certainly wouldn't be immigration's fault, it never is.

I went in person today, to Promenada to do a 90 day report. I arrived at 13:00 and was too late. The staff advised an 08:00 arrival if you want to make a 90 day report. This is not an improvement on the old airport office where a 90 day report could be done late afternoon if you wished, as long as they were open. I asked why if it only tales 1 minute or so to process a 90 day report why 13:00 was too late? The lady said they don't use computers and everything is done on paper. They have a set limit now on how many 90 day reports they will accept on each day.

I see this as good news. Obviously THEY (Immigration) want people to submit 90-day reports by post and FREE UP THE QUEUE for other matters in which people need to be there.

There is no need to go in person for a 90-day report when post (and now Internet) reporting can be done. I mean this is 2015; not 1981!

I see this as good news. Obviously THEY (Immigration) want people to submit 90-day reports by post and FREE UP THE QUEUE for other matters in which people need to be there.

There is no need to go in person for a 90-day report when post (and now Internet) reporting can be done. I mean this is 2015; not 1981!

Its the postal route for me from now on with the only problem the local Thai Post fail to deliver post to me at my current address. This is post that people have informed me they have sent. Water bills, electric bills and 3BB all arrive no problem. Doing the 90 day report by post may not free up any staff as the 2 minutes they spend with you when you do it in person must be the same 2 minutes that somebody must use to process the the reports that arrive by post?

I did get my 90 day report done today! Arrived at Prom at about 08:45 and the first 100 numbers had already been issued. Some staff were advising thats it, try again another day but one staff said wait as the numbers will be reissued as 90 day reports are processed. Half an hour later 3 or 4 number cards were returned and i was given one and told i wouldn't be called until after lunch. I went home and returned at 13:00. My number was called at 15:00 and efficient staff had my 90 day report done by 15:02!

This is the slowest 90 day report i have ever experienced. Longer than 6 hours and arriving at 08:45 put me in the last bunch of people who would have got one done that day. Plus i had made my first failed attempt the previous day when i arrived at 13:00. Just by moving from the airport to Promenada seems to have knocked back CM Immigrations service level significantly. Its pretty hot waiting outside their office even in the shade. Hot season will be a nightmare and as other posters have said not acceptable for the elderly. The only benefit is the shopping centre around you so coffee shops, restaurants, Rimping and shopping are all there to help you kill the time. You could watch more than one movie waiting for you number to be called.

Its the postal route for me from now on with the only problem the local Thai Post fail to deliver post to me at my current address. This is post that people have informed me they have sent. Water bills, electric bills and 3BB all arrive no problem. Doing the 90 day report by post may not free up any staff as the 2 minutes they spend with you when you do it in person must be the same 2 minutes that somebody must use to process the the reports that arrive by post?

I did get my 90 day report done today! Arrived at Prom at about 08:45 and the first 100 numbers had already been issued. Some staff were advising thats it, try again another day but one staff said wait as the numbers will be reissued as 90 day reports are processed. Half an hour later 3 or 4 number cards were returned and i was given one and told i wouldn't be called until after lunch. I went home and returned at 13:00. My number was called at 15:00 and efficient staff had my 90 day report done by 15:02!

This is the slowest 90 day report i have ever experienced. Longer than 6 hours and arriving at 08:45 put me in the last bunch of people who would have got one done that day. Plus i had made my first failed attempt the previous day when i arrived at 13:00. Just by moving from the airport to Promenada seems to have knocked back CM Immigrations service level significantly. Its pretty hot waiting outside their office even in the shade. Hot season will be a nightmare and as other posters have said not acceptable for the elderly. The only benefit is the shopping centre around you so coffee shops, restaurants, Rimping and shopping are all there to help you kill the time. You could watch more than one movie waiting for you number to be called.

I have a couple of comments:

1. 90-day by post does free up Immigration staff as they do it at their leisure. A couple of times I noticed my return notification was dated on a Saturday...

2. As far as your post delivery problem, as long as you attach a registered (rong-tabien) sticker to both the envelope you send as well as the return envelope inside, and attach a 13 or 15 Baht stamp to the return envelope, you can see exactly where your post is. If it doesn't show up at your home, then go to your local post office - (or call them - and they will attempt to deliver it to you. In fact the postman/post lady will call you on his/her mobile to see if you are home). If it is not at the post office near your home they will find it and get it there for you. For 13-15 Baht, Thai Post offers an amazing service. Get a sheet of registered stickers from your post office (you will need your original passport) and some stamps. You don't even have to leave your home. Just hand it to the post person. Do NOT use EMS as it has to go to Lamphun first and takes longer and they are not as helpful with EMS.