PM Prayut orders ministry to find houses for 4 million homeless people

webfact

PM orders social development ministry to find houses for 4 million homeless people
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said Tuesday that he has instructed the Social Development and Human Security Ministry to find houses for some 4 million homeless people.

He said the ministry will have to draft a long-term strategy how to house the 4 million people. Their housing may be done in five or ten years.

He said the ministry has so far housed some 1.3 homeless families in housing units that could not be sold or the buyers have abandoned.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/PM-orders-social-development-ministry-to-find-hous-30265874.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-04

I think the Boss meant "Find homes for these people and do it now, and that's an order"

A house is not a home and a home is not always a house. A difficult task. But with all those empty condos everywhere, maybe he's on the right track.

I am in full support and see this as a winner. Every citizen should have food water and shelter before they start talking about submarines

but ten years is way too long. There is that many abandoned houses and condos in Thaliana ne area of Bangkok. Or chonburi. Alone. Way too slow. Way way to slow.

The PM will be gone in a year or two (maybe) assuming Thailand has another election next year...then whatever orders a previous PM gave is water under the bridge for the new PM. The new PM will then bein to make new orders & future promises like free daily somtam for everyone, pie and ice cream for everyone....or whatever promise works best for maximum votes in the next election.

I would be interested to see some proof other than words, of the ministry housing 1.3 million homeless families as this is the first I've ever heard of it.

If you check the OP, the claim was that they had housed 1.3 homeless families, not 1.3 million smile.png

Could always force them to go to work instead of swinging in the hammock.

Every factory, every shop, every hotel, pretty much every and any business is looking for staff and yet there are homeless? They are homeless because they do not want to work.

If they worked in a factory, most offer free rooms, but again that does mean they have to work, instead of swinging in the hammock

Every factory, every shop, every hotel, pretty much every and any business is looking for staff and yet there are homeless? They are homeless because they do not want to work.

If they worked in a factory, most offer free rooms, but again that does mean they have to work, instead of swinging in the hammock

Could always offer them fair wages, education and labour legislation.

A hammock in the tropics sure does sound nice. A lot nicer than a factory dorm. Maybe El Generalissimo should consider making an exception to his usual guidelines and offer them laokhau to go with the downgrade in accommodation.

A hammock in the tropics sure does sound nice. A lot nicer than a factory dorm. Maybe El Generalissimo should consider making an exception to his usual guidelines and offer them laokhau to go with the downgrade in accommodation.

When WE Europeans lived in OUR 19th century, it was dorms and laokhau (jenever, gin) too.....

Now what did we do to escape from this misery?

Maybe there are lessons to be learned?

Good idea but under present conditions I would say your really really reaching on the above statement. I know we are in a drought but all the "alien" workers here are watering down wages but sadly this is happening everywhere. A large/uneducated foreign/local labor pool is the trump card that big business holds in most countries. It is also what has made the fortunes of all the part time job agencies and there are now to many to mention. It seems to be a way of life now. Good jobs no longer go begging like they did when I entered the labor market. Today there are 500 or more people ahead of you in the lineup for one good job and chances are a lot of them have higher qualifications than you do. Its a sad world we leave you younger people. I really hope there is no afterlife 2nd time around.

Edited by elgordo38

I do not doubt that the general sincerely wants the homeless to have houses.

AND

I also do not doubt that the general thinks this can be achieved by ordering.

BUT

That is not how the world / the economy works.

As a matter of fact, this is why military governments (fachist, paternalistic or communist) always fail: ordering does not work!

Good idea but under present conditions I would say your really really reaching on the above statement. I know we are in a drought but all the "alien" workers here are watering down wages but sadly this is happening everywhere. A large/uneducated foreign/local labor pool is the trump card that big business holds in most countries. It is also what has made the fortunes of all the part time job agencies and there are now to many to mention. It seems to be a way of life now. Good jobs no longer go begging like they did when I entered the labor market. Today there are 500 or more people ahead of you in the lineup for one good job and chances are a lot of them have higher qualifications than you do. Its a sad world we leave you younger people. I really hope there is no afterlife 2nd time around.

I am afraid I share your pessimism.

How to house the 4 million peopleimmediately ?

China has those empty cities waiting for occupancy.

Maybe Prayut can make a deal. For every Urighur transferred to China, a homeless person is sent too.

Win-Win

Nice idea, but there is 1 flaw: the Uighur are homeless...

So nothing would change, the Uighur would be send back as agreed.

Yes, this is what Thailand needs to do, build homes for homeless people.

How about a ten year programme, where four million new homes (houses and condos) will be built using tax-payers money. People who are homeless or poor will live in these homes. They will pay minimal rent (below the market rate), some will be allowed to live rent-free. And those who do pay rent, well, they will be allowed to buy the property at a discount to the market rate after living there for five years. And they can buy it using a government mortgage.

Construction of four million homes over ten years, enough to house the homeless and some of the poor as well. And this will create a whole load of jobs in the construction sector. but, got to make sure those jobs go to Thai construction workers only. Yes, pay Thais 700 baht per day instead of foreigners (Cambodians, Burmese, Laos people) 300 baht per day. This means the house building programme will benefit not just Thais who are homeless and poor, but it will create jobs and income for other Thais too. And the ability to own a property at a discount price, it's great.

Come on Thailand, what are you waiting for ? Do it, it will benefit your nation tremendously.

How is it that 4 million people are homeless while the unemployment rate saying only 300,000 are not working?

300,000 unemployed, but four million are homeless. That four million might include people who are living in shacks or worse. Some of those who have got jobs are actually working for low wages, that's why they're homeless or living in shacks.

Britain has unemployed people. They can very easily reduce unemployment in Britain, and make it the same level as Thailand, ie full employment. Britain could stop unemployment benefit and other social security, that way, people must work just to survive. This will force a lot of those who are presently unemployed into doing anything for a job. Would they ever do this Britain ? No. And I hope it never gets done.

How is it that 4 million people are homeless while the unemployment rate saying only 300,000 are not working?

300,000 unemployed, but four million are homeless. That four million might include people who are living in shacks or worse. Some of those who have got jobs are actually working for low wages, that's why they're homeless or living in shacks.

Britain has unemployed people. They can very easily reduce unemployment in Britain, and make it the same level as Thailand, ie full employment. Britain could stop unemployment benefit and other social security, that way, people must work just to survive. This will force a lot of those who are presently unemployed into doing anything for a job. Would they ever do this Britain ? No. And I hope it never gets done.

Stopping unemployment benefits in the UK would increase the unemployed figures, because unemployed figures are calculated from those that are actively looking for a job.

Stopping unemployment benefits in the UK would increase the unemployed figures, because unemployed figures are calculated from those that are actively looking for a job.

Hello. Do you think it will be a good idea if unemployment benefit (and other social security) in the UK was to be srapped ? Or how about a system where people can claim it for a maximum of six months per year, and that's it, it then gets stopped ?

Talk about building government housing in Thailand, do you think Britain should have a massive house-building programme ? Houses in Britain are now very expensive, loads of people simply can't buy a house. How about the government uses tax-payers money to build a million new homes in the next five years, and people will be allowed to rent those homes at below market price ?

What about Thailand ? Do you think it's good idea if the Thai government builds four million new homes in the next ten years, using tax-payers money ?

Hey you, Mr minister.. find me housing for 4 million people Pronto, you hear? or, go to Lotus super market

and get me a magic wand... that will do the trick.... Abbrahh Kaddabraa... here, 4 million houses... Done,,,,