Prayut vows to follow what's stated in the constitution

webfact

POLITICS

MARISA ISHIKAWA
THE NATION

30265920-01_big.jpg
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, along with students and officials

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday refused to be wrangled into a discussion about the "road map to democracy" and the suggestion that he might stay in power to carry out "reforms".

"Reform means to develop for the better. Reform is a continual process, not a one-job project. The reform should be preserved and continuously carried out; thus there's no end to this," he said.

Prayut insisted that he was prepared to pass his work on to the next elected government. He amplified his point by using the example of China's 30-year reform, which enabled that country to become the world's second-largest economy.

The prime minister affirmed that he would follow what is stated in the constitution.

"This government governs under a special situation and the task is to pass on our work in an orderly way to an elected government," Prayut said.

But he added that he would have no choice but to stay in power if the draft charter is rejected.

The PM acknowledged that not everyone agreed with him.

"It is hard to make all 70 million people agree," he said, insisting that he had nothing but good intentions. He called for more support and urged the people to defend him.

When asked about the support expressed by the People's Democratic Reform Foundation (PDRC), Prayut denied that PDRF leader Suthep Thaugsuban is trying to help him.

Prayut said the foundation was merely trying to protect the country's interests. He thanked Suthep and begged all groups and parties to operate within the rules laid down by the military's ruling National Council for Peace and Order.

He called himself a "middleman" and said conflicts should be replaced by cooperation for peace. He asked all parties to work together to bring about the new constitution. If some people continued to oppose everything and anything, he said, it would prove difficult to solve the national problems.

The PM said Thailand was facing a number of big issues, including poverty and income disparity. "If we solve these problems today … they won't be exploited as a tool in conflict any more."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-vows-to-follow-whats-stated-in-the-constitu-30265920.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-05

Funny stuff. I remember back in 2006, after the coup, the constitution was annulled, yet on Dec 10th., they still celebrated Constitution Day.blink.png

I brought this up to some Thai friends it never occurred to them that they had NO constitution to celebrate!giggle.gif

Which constitution are we talking about?

A good point, but then he didn't worry about the old constitution, so why should he care about following any new one?

Unless it's very heavily weighted in his and his pals' favour ?

I think they should forget about the laws, constitution, etc.
The laws are flouted here regularly.
The laws do not apply here for VIPs anyway.
Court rulings take often decades.
C
ondemn criminal get bail.
Bribes
and Corruption are the daily rice from millions.
You know who I am? Selective application of laws.

Maybe they should replace the military Government with a police Government.
So, everyone can pay his bribes and do what he wants.

Equal rights for all in Thailand?
Regardless of status, person and purse?

Rather the hell freezes over.

One thing you wont read in the Constitution is Part "B" chapter 13 on page 1313. No Military involvement is allowed in the running of any Democratic elected Government nor under mining Government affairs. All military interference a Penalty: Charges of treason- with life in prison.cheesy.gif

One thing you wont read in the Constitution is Part "B" chapter 13 on page 1313. No Military involvement is allowed in the running of any Democratic elected Government nor under mining Government affairs. All military interference a Penalty: Charges of treason- with life in prison.cheesy.gif

Start by getting honest politicians who will obey ALL the laws of the land and work honestly and transparently for ALL the people in Thailand and not for their family, cronies and those who give them the biggest bung and you may be able to.

I am not sure where you will find honest politicians in Thailand though.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

and the clown car roles on...

Is the boy in blue on the left giving us the "finger". The PM may take a page out of the Moses story when Moses ascended from the mountain and smashed the tablets and stay on. I hope there are only 10 articles in the new constitution I have trouble with the fine print in most contracts and that is what the constitution is. The ones I hate the most are the insurance contracts where you must have an elephant fall on your car in a thunderstorm to collect. Its that clause at the bottom you skip when your tired of reading all the BS that protects the "company" and throws you under the bus.

So 30 years is possible then.

Well Moses(quoting him again darnit) and the Israelites wandered around the desert for 40 years so 30 years is not out of the realm of possibility. "Good things come to he who waits" according to my sainted grandmother God she was smart.

A fine rubber stamping of the PDRF if there was ever any doubt about that alliance/allegiance

Well General, you reap what you sow, and you need to deal with all that's going to happen because of your blatant lies.

How any Western, especially British Farangs can applaud this guy is beyond me, but then again, it's mostly the ones who have not lived in the UK for 20 + years, and have been indoctrinated into "Thainess" big time.

Edited by Fat Haggis

Which constitution are we talking about?

A good point, but then he didn't worry about the old constitution, so why should he care about following any new one?

He'll follow it until he is "forced" to suspend it, rule under a new article 44 and write a new constitution.

'' But he added that he would have no choice but to stay in power if the draft charter is rejected.''

Why???

He believes in rewarding failure.

Absolutely! Free re-education sessions, new prisons. Mind you, with regard to the draft charter, still a pity that political parties didn't want to get involved, stood aside in non-obstruction. Most changes because of perceived deficiencies in the April draft seem to have come from suggestions from the NLA, NRC, CDC, etc.

Makes it easier for some to say 'this is not what we want'