Study shows brain ages quicker for those working night shift

webfact

Study shows brain ages quicker for those working night shift

BANGKOK, 5 August 2015, (NMT) - A recent study reported by local media has revealed that those who work the night shift for an extended period of time induce a faster brain aging process than those who work regular hours.

The study indicated that brain damage is especially visible in cases where the patients had been working odd hours for longer than 10 years. According to the findings, a brain in such working conditions would age six and a half years faster than the brain of someone working in regular hours.

It stated that working a nocturnal schedule disrupts the body's biological clock and deprives it of Vitamin-D, which mainly come from exposure to sunlight. Furthermore, eating food in the middle of the night keeps sugar and fat in the system longer than food eaten during the day. This increases the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease by a factor of 1.5 over someone working a regular daytime schedule.

Scientists indicated that those who regularly work the night shift may require at least five years for their brain to recover from the damage of their nocturnal lifestyle by returning to a normal sleep cycle.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-05 footer_n.gif

this is why the research in this country is so crap, they did not look at the whole circadian rythm and stuff, studies on northern europeans in which UV light therapy helped workers in multiple ways.

if its based on us researchers then same as above but we know they is corrupt anyhow

this is why the research in this country is so crap, they did not look at the whole circadian rythm and stuff, studies on northern europeans in which UV light therapy helped workers in multiple ways. if its based on us researchers then same as above but we know they is corrupt anyhow

Nope. The original report has - as usual - been incorrectly interpreted by a Journo. Which is the norm for many reporters all over the world.

Rewriter : Benjamin Rujopakarn

I worked night shift for several years, but it's really the morning shift that gets you, from about 4-8am. That's when most night shifts end.

You can't do anything and never really feel "normal". I can see the tiredness shortening a lifespan over time.

Anything up to 3 am though and I'm fine, can sleep and function the next day without fatigue.

The tiredness also lads to strange behavioral stuff due to fatigue and boredom. My co-workers and I used to sit with out boots on the desk, take food from the supply and all kinds of strange stuff we would never do on a day shift.

I also think I caught a black employee who filled in once for the regular white guy, spanking a monkey in the clothes trailor. or, at least he was up to something weird. then there was the plumber who kept coming by and hanging out all night wanting to shoot pool. turns out he was a child molester.