Is this cable TV or Fiber Optic?

Anthony5

As the thread title reads. This is about 400 meter from my place, but I can't see any company name on it, and also don't see where it leads.

Below I found some cut off pieces of coaxial cable, but I thought the coiled wire indicates fiber optic.

post-222439-0-75158400-1438751606_thumb.post-222439-0-13733200-1438751616_thumb.

I dunno. Both can look similar. If you could see where one is terminated you know what a cable terminal looks like and fiber is either similar but much bigger or it is one of several plug in types. Often they are some kind of plastic.

The fact that they have the ends coiled up smoothly like that instead of cut and terminated might be a hint that it may be fiber. Fiber is hard to cut and terminate in the field and the way to handle it is smooth coils like that. You can't kink it or it will ruin it.

Can you find and get a shot of where one is terminated to see the cable end?

Sounds plausible.

Could bet to have seen two technicians working on such a box (lying down on a table?) using equipment looking like an optic splicer.

You see such boxes sometimes in the middle of nowhere along the highway. Guess just connecting two cable fibre ends and sealing against water/dust etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I update with a new picture, and was confirmed by BTV that it is indeed Fiber optic.

To extend the cable by another 400 meters to my house they want 40.000 Baht.

I will not post what I have told them as the would result in a lot of <deleted> in one sentence.

post-222439-0-75732400-1438781496_thumb.

Everybody thinks getting new cable or fibre to their house is free. Its not and fibre is extremely delicate and expensive.

3BB pulled fiber to my home, the actual cable run was probably close to 1Km once you snag it onto the poles, for free.

Which provider? Who gave you the quote? Are there any other (actual, current, or potential) subscribers nearby?

Everybody thinks getting new cable or fibre to their house is free. Its not and fibre is extremely delicate and expensive.

3BB pulled fiber to my home, the actual cable run was probably close to 1Km once you snag it onto the poles, for free.

Which provider? Who gave you the quote? Are there any other (actual, current, or potential) subscribers nearby?

Provider is BTV ( Banglamung TV) they are reseller for CAT. Got the quote from a lady in the office, which may have been some kind of manager, but aren't they all managers and engineers in Thailand.

Definitely no other potential subscribers nearby, other than maybe the Children home they are building down the street. I'm the only foreigner living in the area , and there is a total of 9 houses past that pole.

Edited by Anthony5

Provider is BTV ( Banglamung TV) they are reseller for CAT. Got the quote from a lady in the office, which may have been some kind of manager, but aren't they all managers and engineers in Thailand.

Definitely no other potential subscribers nearby, other than maybe the Children home they are building down the street. I'm the only foreigner living in the area , and there is a total of 9 houses past that pole.

My fibre optic looks similar but about an1/8th the size of that cable and junction boxes.

Edited by farmerjo

FORTY THOUSAND for 400 meter is definitely not free.

Which Thai gonna pay that?

Think i paid roughly 40 baht/metre but that was a long haul.

40000 Baht for 400m sounds excessive.

I paid 25000 Baht in total (inkl. router/converter/installation) and live 1.3 km from the main road where the "thick" cable runs along.

I didn't understand for sure, whether the cable was 1.3 km or only 600 m from some point at the Thessaban (village admin.).

All done by ToT.

But still 25000 for 600m compared to 40000 for 400m is a big difference.

"thin as a pencil":

true for cables to private houses like the one in post #13.

Thats the smallest/thinnest cable that you can get.

But there are cables even in our village that are least three times the diameter of the one shown.

They connected the village school with such a cable and now have four WiFi access points running there.

Those thick cables contain multiple single mode fibers while the thin ones contain exactly one fibre.

Datasheet for the multifibre type that runs to the school:

http://www.renka.com/products/SmartLITE%20Cable/DEC00%20SM%20OFC%20RENKA.pdf

Edited by KhunBENQ

This is not "thin a as pencil", nonsense.

Some people can not distinguish between a single fibre and a fibre optic cable.

Fiber optic sea cables are thicker than an arm.

This is a drum from which the thick cables are installed.

About a 170 cm in diameter, weighing more than a tonne.

Compare to the height of the wall around the school:

post-99794-0-13539900-1438829033_thumb.j

post-99794-0-73208500-1438829522_thumb.j

This is drum from which "my" cable was installed.

Maybe about 60 cm in diameter, compare to the road marker line.

post-99794-0-19269000-1438829198_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

In some fiber installations, it is actually FTTC, Fiber to the Curb, then copper/coax for that short distance from the curb/streetside cab into the home; this is how my Verizon FiOS service was delivered in the U.S.

And as has been pointed out, fiber brought into the home will have one or two cores, while transmission fiber will have multiple bundles, resulting in an increase in diameter.

I've only seen a few fiber installations here: True and 3BB. All were FTTH, terminated with fiber inside the customer premises at a provider-supplied fiber modem/router. Only one worked at initialization; all the others required significant tuning, outside work, but once operational, there have been no issues at all.

40000 Baht for 400m sounds excessive.

I paid 25000 Baht in total (inkl. router/converter/installation) and live 1.3 km from the main road where the "thick" cable runs along.

I didn't understand for sure, whether the cable was 1.3 km or only 600 m from some point at the Thessaban (village admin.).

All done by ToT.

But still 25000 for 600m compared to 40000 for 400m is a big difference.

"thin as a pencil":

true for cables to private houses like the one in post #13.

Thats the smallest/thinnest cable that you can get.

But there are cables even in our village that are least three times the diameter of the one shown.

They connected the village school with such a cable and now have four WiFi access points running there.

Those thick cables contain multiple single mode fibers while the thin ones contain exactly one fibre.

Datasheet for the multifibre type that runs to the school:

http://www.renka.com/products/SmartLITE%20Cable/DEC00%20SM%20OFC%20RENKA.pdf

I should also have posted a link to another thread in the Pattaya forum, about what happened during my conversation with BTV yesterday.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743706-btv-internet/?p=9703050

They have fiber optic cable now 400 meter from my door. Went there today and spoke with a lady that called herself manager ( probably from the toilet) and told me 40.000 Baht to bring it in.

I asked her which Thai would bleed 40K for a connection, and she answered no Thais don't pay that.

From that thread it is clear that it is common practice for this company to charge foreigners for what they give free to the Thais.

attachicon.gif131121070432.jpg

attachicon.gif131121070328.jpg

attachicon.gif140317175558.jpg

I see there are some of you who have used fibre before. Fibre cable is extremely fragile also, one kink and its worthless. The cable that comes into your house looks a little like a plastic coffee stir stick, seriously. Of course the cables that run under the ocean wont be the same....use some common sense, thats not what this thread is about. Here read: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/fiber-to-the-home.htm

I see there are some of you who have used fibre before. Fibre cable is extremely fragile also, one kink and its worthless. The cable that comes into your house looks a little like a plastic coffee stir stick, seriously. Of course the cables that run under the ocean wont be the same....use some common sense, thats not what this thread is about. Here read: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/fiber-to-the-home.htm

I was told today that the cable that goes into the house is Coaxial. It's only fiber to the pole in front of the house.

I was told today that the cable that goes into the house is Coaxial. It's only fiber to the pole in front of the house.

Sorry but you were told incorrectly. The cable is more than likely the exact same small diameter I mentioned. Personally I have never see anything else. I think many issues with bad home connections come from the mishandling and improper installation of this cable by Thai "technicians" and, that's another subject all together :)

Sorry but you were told incorrectly. The cable is more than likely the exact same small diameter I mentioned. Personally I have never see anything else. I think many issues with bad home connections come from the mishandling and improper installation of this cable by Thai "technicians" and, that's another subject all together smile.png

I was told this by the technician of the company that owns the fiber in my picture.

They say the last part is always coaxial, because it involves bends etc., that can't be realised by fiber without damaging it.

Sorry but you were told incorrectly. The cable is more than likely the exact same small diameter I mentioned. Personally I have never see anything else. I think many issues with bad home connections come from the mishandling and improper installation of this cable by Thai "technicians" and, that's another subject all together smile.png

I was told this by the technician of the company that owns the fiber in my picture.

They say the last part is always coaxial, because it involves bends etc., that can't be realised by fiber without damaging it.

Sorry but that is incorrect. Actually the cable that goes from the pole into your house is the same pencil thin cable. I have seen it in the US, Japan, and recently Phuket where my girlfriend had it ran into her business. I was there when they installed.

Fiber isn't always installed all the way to the Customer Premises Equipment.

For whatever reason the ISP may chose to do Media Conversion (to Ethernet, Twisted Pair/xDSL, RF Cable, etc) prior to making the final connection. Especially where Fiber is used strictly as the backbone and other medium are already in place to carry the service (or services) to the final point.

The word 'cable' doesn't always mean Coaxial RF Cable (Cable TV) line.

But if they were also delivering Cable TV 'service' they might convert Fiber to Coaxial Cable to simplify splitting and connectivity.

Wikipedia Fiber to the x

Definitions

Deployments

Optical distribution networks

my fiber connection "cable", running 800m from the road to my desk, has a diameter of 3mm and an inside single optical strand of 0.15mm (not a typo!) i measured when they fused two parts before insulating the "nekkid" strand). the line runs in a storm drain where phone, cable and electricity lines run.