Cheapest Transfer of Funds from the UK.

Can anyone tell me the cheapest method of transferring 500 GBP (20.000Bt) from my UK bank to Thailand?

My UK bank to Bangkok Bank in London, then to my Bangkok Bank in Thailand. OR

Using my UK bank ATM card in Thailand.

I know it is 180Bt plus my UK bank charge, and I would imagine it is around 10 GBP, (500Bt).

I think all the major UK banks would charge around 10 to 12 GBH.

I now use Transferwise to bring my pension over monthly, cheaper than my UK Bank and a better rate.

Last weeK I got 54.8 compared to 54.3 TT rate. It takes between 3-5 business days to effect the transfer but once they have done the conversion the rate is locked in and its what you will get.

Take a look theres no obligation, and if you use the attached link your first transfer up to 3000 GBP will be Free.[[/url]

I used it too. Moneycorp advertised attractive rates and I went through the hoops to enrol, but when it came to actually sending the wonga it was not what it seemed.

Transferwise beat them easily.

I now use Transferwise to bring my pension over monthly, cheaper than my UK Bank and a better rate.

Last weeK I got 54.8 compared to 54.3 TT rate. It takes between 3-5 business days to effect the transfer but once they have done the conversion the rate is locked in and its what you will get.

Take a look theres no obligation, and if you use the attached link your first transfer up to 3000 GBP will be Free.[url=]

I keep most of my money in the UK, and take some out every month or two.

If I keep a lot of money in Thailand, there are various ways people can get their hands on it.

I just want to know the cheapest way to get around 25.000 Bt from time to time.

At present I do it via Bangkok Bank in London, so I'm wondering if it is just as cheap doing it

with my UK ATM card. I will keep a note of that link. Thanks.

Take a look theres no obligation, and if you use the attached link your first transfer up to 3000 GBP will be Free.

I keep most of my money in the UK, and take some out every month or two.

If I keep a lot of money in Thailand, there are various ways people can get their hands on it.

I just want to know the cheapest way to get around 25.000 Bt from time to time.

At present I do it via Bangkok Bank in London, so I'm wondering if it is just as cheap doing it

with my UK ATM card. I will keep a note of that link. Thanks.

well to give you an idea, (after you use up the free one) it cost 14.82 to send 1000 GBP when you start the transfer it will tell you the estimated amount you will receive (for example at the moment for 500 GBP they estimate 27,475 THB) + the fee, however in my experience you usually get a little more than that as they use the mid market rate, once the conversion has been completed that is what you receive there are no further charges.

Whatever you decide, with one free transfer it's worth doing that as the costs are nil and the exchange rates better than the TT buying rate at the Thai banks.

To transfer via Bangkok Bank there is a swift transfer fee of 20 GBP and you would only get the TT rate (the rate is 15 GBP if they do the conversion in UK but that would be less than the TT rate. As I said there's no obligation but to get a freebie to start you off maybe worth giving it a go.

I used to use Nationwide 20 GBP Swift, then only get the TT rate + a fee from Kasikorn so at present Im quids in, but like everyone, always on the lookout for a better deal. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by Rimmer

I second Chicog's post. I've been here 10 years and send 5K UKP over a number of times annually. I began with SWIFT transfer from my RBoS account. I graduated to Moneycorp who charged 8 UKP per transaction. Finally went with Transferwise whose charge is more than 8UKP but whose Forex rate is better leaving me 3 - 4 thousand better off.

Halifax online banking charges £9.50 for transfer but send it as Pounds Sterling to get the best rate and there will be something deducted by the Thai receiving bank.

Unfortunately you need to have an account with Halifax, and you only get the TT Buying Rate, Transferwise gives a better rate.

There are reasons why I don't want to keep a lot of money in my Thai bank ie, they must remain personal.

I only want 25.000 Bt at a time, I do not need to spend big, I don't drink or smoke, my house and both

my motorbikes are paid for. My wife works and has her own money.

I have never paid the 180Bt Thai bank fee for using my UK bank ATM card, and was only wondering if that was the cheapest option.

Up until now I have drawn a maximum 2000 GBP by going through the Bangkok Bank in London to my Thailand branch.

Lloyds bank transfers are free and they deal directly with Bangkok Bank.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought any UK bank funds transfer to Bangkok Bank in London was free.

Lloyds to Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

Is that Lloyds or Lloyds International?