Hanging beef at home

Kenny202

Bought some beef thus morning up country. As usual looked like it was hacked to pieces with an Axe. Like most of the beef here killed this morning not bled fully etc. Only using for mince and curries but wondering if any benefit putting on a rack / tray in the fridge for a week or 2?

It was dead animal hanging by the side of the road just outside Khonkaen thai style. There's quite a few beef stalls there. Neither the beast or the seller was speaking French :-) How do u know if it's French beef? Looked like one of those horrible Brahmans they have here as the hoof was still attached. I've only ever seen Charlois cows south of Bangkok

Edited by Kenny202

Thats what I call village beef. Maybe if you could be able to ID what the cutts were what but when they employ the landmine process to butcher it. That becomes hard. Have had a bit of. luck with making stew in the slow cooker on low .........

I read an a story by a famous chef. He went in search of the best steak. He really did travel and write about where he went and what he ate. Of all the places. It was in Spain and the animal was old and had worked its whole life pulling carts......

Depends how big the cuts are and the size of your refrigerator. What I used to do in a restaurant with local Indonesian beef - eye fillet and rib eye cuts - was hang them in a refrigerator for about three - 7 days over a steel bowl to catch the drips. Wrap the cuts in papaya leaf held in place with either rubber bands or tooth picks. If using rubber bands they should not be overly tight.

You can leave the meat hanging for about week. But three days should be the minimum.

You'll get some bits on the outside that might dry up and maybe some that will turn a bit green. Just slice the green bits off and throw to the soi dogs and use the dry bits, sliced, in a nasi goreng or mei goreng.

Using the papaya leaf will tenderise the beef to the point that they are very edible steak cuts, if that's what you have, though they need a little salt during the cooking.

If using for mince don't make it to lean. For hamburger you want 30% fat.

I had an old Frenchman tell me a similar story said he cooked older beef (older animal) back home on coals. Said the smell and flavour was amazing

i remember back in 1983 an old thai selling watches down walking street told me there's nothing better than an old cow done slowly.

as the saying goes,"OLDER THE FIDDLE THE BETTER THE TUNE" not sure about the smell and flavour.

Edited by meatboy

I buy boneless sirloin from the beef vendor at the Wednesday market, 2-3 kilos. I wrap it in a cotton dish towel and put it on the bottom shelf of the fridge for 10 - 14 days. I then trim off the black and hard crust and wither slow roast it to rare, or cut it up for steaks or grinding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It was dead animal hanging by the side of the road just outside Khonkaen thai style. There's quite a few beef stalls there. Neither the beast or the seller was speaking French :-) How do u know if it's French beef? Looked like one of those horrible Brahmans they have here as the hoof was still attached. I've only ever seen Charlois cows south of Bangkok

aaahaa There's a stock yard outside of Sakon Nakhon that raises and sells what they call Thai-French beef. They'll cut the meat any way you like.

aaahaa There's a stock yard outside of Sakon Nakhon that raises and sells what they call Thai-French beef. They'll cut the meat any way you like.

PON -YANG-KHAM BEEF CO-OPRATIVE. EXCELLENT.

why on god's green earth would you purchase "dead animal hanging by the side of the road"?

Thai-French beef in Khon Kaen: Bon Appetit (Thai French Natural Beef)

About 1 km west of Khon Kaen Ram Hospital on Sri Chan on the left before the 7-11 on the right

What's it like JL? And I keep hearing Thai / French beef

What does that mean? Charloise cattle?

Edited by Kenny202