Briton dies on family road trip in Thailand, 11 injured

webfact

RIP. But one of the trucks was in the wrong oncoming lane. Which truck?

Per the rest of the story in the link originally provided.

Chaliao said she was turning right at an intersection and failed to see the oncoming truck, which slammed into her vehicle.

Wattana Sinuan, the driver of the other pick-up truck, said he tried to brake but could not stop in time because Chaliao took the turn without any warning.

“I tried to brake and swerve off, but it was too late,” Wattana said.

Police yet to press charges against any parties at the time of publication"

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very sad, but you don't need to ask that question. One could postulate that if one of those drivers holds a British license they have been taught and trained to operate the vehicle safely.

the driver of the other truck would have been let loose on a go kart track and ( serious I've been there in lat prao at the driving license centre) told not to cross over the lines or hit the tyres too much. as long as the break pedal can be hit and you are not colour blind you will get the thai license.

the thai driver is able to move a vehicle full stop, , all other drivers should be warned that a thai is driving the vehicle

Just yesterday I watched in horror and disbelief as a pickup truck overtook me on the crest of a notoriously dangerous hill because I had the sense and road discipline to wait behind a builders lorry until such time as it was clear and SAFE to overtake.

The fact that he got away with it was entirely down to luck & any amulets he might have had dangling in the windscreen. I caught the event on dashcam but as it's a daily occurrence I haven't bothered to upload.

They frankly scare the crap out of me!

Edited by evadgib

very sad, but you don't need to ask that question. One could postulate that if one of those drivers holds a British license they have been taught and trained to operate the vehicle safely.

the driver of the other truck would have been let loose on a go kart track and ( serious I've been there in lat prao at the driving license centre) told not to cross over the lines or hit the tyres too much. as long as the break pedal can be hit and you are not colour blind you will get the thai license.

the thai driver is able to move a vehicle full stop, , all other drivers should be warned that a thai is driving the vehicle

OK. this is Thai Bashing at its finest.

READ THE ENTIRE STORY, AND ENJOY EATING CROW.

Full story: http://www.khaosoden...wsid=1438924793

What is WRONG with you people, do you not understand you are racists?

Chaliao Flood, wife of the deceased, was driving one of the trucks, which was loaded with members of her family.

She told reporters that they set out from home in Nong Bua Lamphu province at about 6 pm last night and were headed for a vacation on Koh Chang in eastern Thailand.

Chaliao said she was turning right at an intersection and failed to see the oncoming truck, which slammed into her vehicle.

Wattana Sinuan, the driver of the other pick-up truck, said he tried to brake but could not stop in time because Chaliao took the turn without any warning.

“I tried to brake and swerve off, but it was too late,” Wattana said.

Police yet to press charges against any parties at the time of publication.

Edited by Guest

I see Farangs , letting women drive motobikes, cars, I would Never Ever let a Thai Woman Drive Me...

Reminds me of when I was driving with my ex wife in Australia and I got cut off, I blurted out bloody women drivers, but when we pulled up next to the car it was a bloke, I just retorted well he drives like a bloody woman.

Thai drivers go through red lights often. It's so bad, that sometimes when I'm approaching (or starting at) a green light, I have to honk, and proceed cautiously. 1,2,3,4 or more seconds after the light turns red, mai pen rai - if you're Thai you can justify speeding up to go through the intersection - rather than having to stop and wait for a minute or two.

You've jumped the gun there mate.OK she was turning right but wheredoes it say there was traffic lightscoffee1.gif

I wonder if the extended family were all sat in the back as if often the case in Thailand ? I always fear for the worst when I see that, Thailand's appalling road safety record combined with passengers with no protection. Is that even legal or just another law that's overlooked ?

Very sad and I hope the others recover soon but I would never drive at night here to many too many idiots driving in the dark.

I would like to add to that too many idiots driving in the dark with inadequate or improper lighting on their vehicles (including trucks with trailers)

i have tried for years to get a definite answer to why they dont replace bulbs or use lights at night and it varies from "i dont need them" to "it worked when i bought it, now its broken thats not my fault".........

Thai drivers go through red lights often. It's so bad, that sometimes when I'm approaching (or starting at) a green light, I have to honk, and proceed cautiously. 1,2,3,4 or more seconds after the light turns red, mai pen rai - if you're Thai you can justify speeding up to go through the intersection - rather than having to stop and wait for a minute or two.

So true...

Just no concept of spacial awareness or other peoples safety...

Both this attitude and a multitude of others are why this is my last year in Thailand... I am becoming jaded by the place...

Me too... Not sure where to go next...

Firstly RIP. Me too also, 13 happy years now coming to an end. Arrogance to one's ignorance is the new Thainess, let them get on with it

very sad, but you don't need to ask that question. One could postulate that if one of those drivers holds a British license they have been taught and trained to operate the vehicle safely. ...

Sorry this is utter nonsense. Accidents happen the world over. 2 motorists die on Britains road every day, on average.

What happened in this tragic accident is that one person turned across the oncoming traffic lane without looking. It was 5 in the morning and they'd left 11 hours prior. It's reasonable to assume bad visibility and tired driver played a part in this. Clearly the fault of the person making the turn. No training in the world can prevent you from crashing into someone suddenly turning into your lane.

I do believe that in almost all cases, accidents are caused by both parties, regardless of legalities, but this is the exception.

RIP and condolences to the family.

You've jumped the gun there mate.OK she was turning right but wheredoes it say there was traffic lightscoffee1.gif

There are traffic lights in photo background

very sad, but you don't need to ask that question. One could postulate that if one of those drivers holds a British license they have been taught and trained to operate the vehicle safely. ...

Sorry this is utter nonsense. Accidents happen the world over. 2 motorists die on Britains road every day, on average.

What happened in this tragic accident is that one person turned across the oncoming traffic lane without looking. It was 5 in the morning and they'd left 11 hours prior. It's reasonable to assume bad visibility and tired driver played a part in this. Clearly the fault of the person making the turn. No training in the world can prevent you from crashing into someone suddenly turning into your lane.

I do believe that in almost all cases, accidents are caused by both parties, regardless of legalities, but this is the exception.

RIP and condolences to the family.

Yes and no, nikster.

Particularly at traffic lights and U-turns in Thailand, there are some basic defensive driving techniques which will vastly improve your chances.

1. Watch out for side roads where vehicles may come out of and into your path.

2. Keep away from the turning on a multi-lane road to give yourself more time and options.

3. Be aware of what is behind you. (Should do this any way).

4. Use other cars as shields

5. Watch the behaviour of the car at the side turning intently / watch for wheel movement of any kind. Be particularly aware of vehicles approaching the side turning who may not stop.

6. Slow down.

7. Knock it down a gear.

8. Cover your brakes.

9. Use your lights and horn to warn other vehicles.

10. Have your passengers be ready with your RPG.

In addition make your vehicle is properly maintained. Brakes, tyres, lights, horn and suspension in proper working condition greatly improve your chances of avoiding an accident.

Even if there were traffic lights, at 5 am up country the chances are they would be on flashing amber.

How can you not see a pick-up? Unless he was driving with no lights, which is always a possibility in Thailand. More likely, after being on the road for 11 hours, she was tired and/or lost concentration. By the way, it is also illegal in Thailand to ride in the back of a pick-up, for obvious reasons. But somehow the police never notice it happening thousands of times a day.

Dangerous at any time of the day (or night)...

I would never drive long distances at night, especially in unfamilar areas.

Evern during daytime, we take wrong turns and get flustered and confused.

They drove all night and this happened before sunrise. Tired..and a bit disoriented. Also, many drinkers on the road at that time. Start your long distance driving at sunrise..not sunset.

Nighttime is the best time to drive , nice and cooler , no awful sun beating down on your windshield , shining in your eyes and the people in the back of the truck are not in the blistering heat. Far less trafic.

It makes sence to drive in the night and take the ferry in the morning to have the whole day for their holiday.

Use vinegar on your windshield - great for cutting glare.

Overall just a tragic accident which could happen to anyone with sleep deprivation. The country needs to make a concerted effort to educate principles of safe driving. A British husband should have evaluated his wife's driving abilities. He should have known better to haul people in the back of a pick up farther than to the corner store which is still not advised but very common in most countries in the rural areas. For anyone that thinks driving on Thai roads are safer at night, I have to differ with you.

RIP

So sorry for their loss ,,,,But why in the name of satan are there so many people in a pickup vehicle? isn't illegal to travel in the back?Not safe No protection No seat belts,if there where only the right amount of people in the vehicle than the Death rate would have been cut in halve,,,,,Say no more,,, <deleted> stupid.!

Wow some really bad drivers are responding here. You really don't know who was at fault? She turned in front of oncomming traffic and you don't know who is at fault. ? Hope I never encounter any of you on the road.

Don't jump to the conclusion that I am a bad driver, I will let you know I am the best back seat driver you will ever meet.

According to a local news report my wife heard the British driver Paul Flood was driving way too fast and considering he had a lot of people in the back of the Pick Up, including four children I think it is a disgrace. Apparently he accelerated to beat the change of the traffic lights but another Pick Up waiting to turn right moved off expecting the oncoming Pick Up to stop at the traffic light. It sounds a bit 70 - 30 but had he been driving at an appropriate speed this would not have happened. Why risk driving fast when there is no need to?

According to a local news report my wife heard the British driver Paul Flood was driving way too fast and considering he had a lot of people in the back of the Pick Up, including four children I think it is a disgrace. Apparently he accelerated to beat the change of the traffic lights but another Pick Up waiting to turn right moved off expecting the oncoming Pick Up to stop at the traffic light. It sounds a bit 70 - 30 but had he been driving at an appropriate speed this would not have happened. Why risk driving fast when there is no need to?

Lol.

You can't read.

Your wife is talking rubbish.

Try again.

How can you not see a pick-up?

If you want a reason then I can give you many.

http://nosurprise.org.uk/research-papers-and-resources-library/

These accidents are common. Yes the pickup truck turned without seeing the oncoming vehicle. I am a biker and live with that happening daily.

I am sure the driver was doing her best, I am positive she did not want this result. But unfortunately these accidents keep happening.

We know for a fact that it is normal everyday drivers doing normal everyday things who have accidents. Not a group of suicide drivers out to kill other road users.

So rather than try to find blame which in the case would be easy to point the finger at the driver of the turning vehicle.

She may not have had the accident if the oncoming vehicle had anticipated that she may go and taken avoiding action.

Maybe the road layout and road furniture blocks the view of the junction or oncoming vehicles?

Either way we have another unnecessary dead person and a load of unnecessary suffering.

'It takes 2 to tangle' Learn from it how to avoid the same happening to us.

They are quick to put the blame on the falang, it was his wife who was driving by all reports.

one of the most dangerous things about thai roads is night driving when trucks just are almost invisible - on more than one occasion late at night on the way back from Hua Hin I've had to overtake up the inside and a slow truck with zero lights or muddy lenses has almost made me smash in the back of it

one of the most dangerous things about thai roads is night driving when trucks just are almost invisible - on more than one occasion late at night on the way back from Hua Hin I've had to overtake up the inside and a slow truck with zero lights or muddy lenses has almost made me smash in the back of it

Absolutely right...some d..k will probably come along and say you are Thai bashing, but this is simply a fact..and when you have a family it is always a concern.

Dangerous at any time of the day (or night)...

I would never drive long distances at night, especially in unfamilar areas.

Evern during daytime, we take wrong turns and get flustered and confused.

They drove all night and this happened before sunrise. Tired..and a bit disoriented. Also, many drinkers on the road at that time. Start your long distance driving at sunrise..not sunset.

Nighttime is the best time to drive , nice and cooler , no awful sun beating down on your windshield , shining in your eyes and the people in the back of the truck are not in the blistering heat. Far less trafic.

It makes sence to drive in the night and take the ferry in the morning to have the whole day for their holiday.

Except in this case....

We drive in the morning and stop for a room before sunset. That way we get on the ferry safe and sound, and well rested for a full day on the island. If these people had made it, they would be so exhausted that when they checked in, they would just sleep all afternoon anyways....

I bet the heat is not a factor, as most of us have air conditioning for daytime driving..and tinted windows. Not a problem.

not a good choice for me. Perhaps this case did not involve any alcohol (on the thai driver's side)...but I guarantee...the period of 12 midnight to 4 or 5 am...they are all out on the road... plus..it is unfamiliar, tinted dark windows (as above) and stress to meet the ferry (as above).

It's thailand.....relax, lose an afternoon but gain a life.

Edited by slipperylobster

How can you not see a pick-up? Unless he was driving with no lights, which is always a possibility in Thailand.

I have several dashcam 'idiot clips' showing (or not as the case may be!) an assortment of vehicles, among them a giant crane, cement mixers & dustcarts, with not so much as a candle front or rear to alert road users as to their presence on the highway at night!

Edited by evadgib

Absolutely right...some d..k will probably come along and say you are Thai bashing, but this is simply a fact..and when you have a family it is always a concern.

Yes agree, I dont want to be seen to be thai bashing just concerned for all road users. The Hua Hin to Bk road at night is in some parts very creepy looking, very different to the day.. me and the wife call them 'ghost trucks'