Got bored, so decided to stay at one of the new hotels on Nai Harn Beach.

TacoHell

Firstly, nice hotel, great views, restaurant was above par, service was also great, and very good amenities.

The place was basically empty, no surprise being the low season.

When I checked out, I assumed I could just request a taxi/driver from the hotel at that time.

The hotels private transport was not available when I checked out, so, ok no problem, just send one of the multitude of taxis parked around Nai Harn Beach to pick us up at reception.

I am not really sure if this a good or bad thing, but was told that we would need to walk to the road and arrange our own transport, about 300 meters.

As I live in Phuket, my conclusion was they do not allow outside taxis/drivers inside their facility.

This was not a big deal for us, as we only had hand luggage, but imagine if you were a family with several bags and were told to walk to the street?

Very odd situation.

That is actually a wise precaution by the hotel as those taxi drivers will pester guests for trips if allowed into the resort. It also prevents the FO staff having a "favourite taxi driver" who get called.

Still don't understand why there is no official central taxi call center whos number hotels could give out. Pretty standard in many places of the world. Even the taxi mafia should not oppose that since it would bring them more customers.

^^^They don't want more customers, they only want to soak a few customers a day, than lay around doing nothing for the rest of the day

That's maybe what many drivers want but I am sure they are paying someone up the chain who doesn't actually have to do real work and that someone would surely love a bit more payments from down low.

Hi just back home in AU today from Pattaya and used Grab Taxi,,,an app on your phone ,,,fantastic service connects you to metered taxis ,,,but gives you the fare before you boo0k ,,,can see cab on approach on your app ,,and very cheap ,,,cheaper than motorbike taxi if more than 1 person

Hi just back home in AU today from Pattaya and used Grab Taxi,,,an app on your phone ,,,fantastic service connects you to metered taxis ,,,but gives you the fare before you boo0k ,,,can see cab on approach on your app ,,and very cheap ,,,cheaper than motorbike taxi if more than 1 person

Thanks for the infomercial.

That is actually a wise precaution by the hotel as those taxi drivers will pester guests for trips if allowed into the resort. It also prevents the FO staff having a "favourite taxi driver" who get called.

i doubt the OP would give a toss about that, he was just trying to get to airport or whatever - they could not assist, can't see the problem = it is called service.

^^^They don't want more customers, they only want to soak a few customers a day, than lay around doing nothing for the rest of the day

That's maybe what many drivers want but I am sure they are paying someone up the chain who doesn't actually have to do real work and that someone would surely love a bit more payments from down low.

Someone up the chain cannot be bothered with what the drivers actually do as long as they pay him the monthly fee in full and on time.

I am not really sure if this a good or bad thing, but was told that we would need to walk to the road and arrange our own transport, about 300 meters.

As I live in Phuket, my conclusion was they do not allow outside taxis/drivers inside their facility.

This was not a big deal for us, as we only had hand luggage, but imagine if you were a family with several bags and were told to walk to the street?

You were asked to go to the road, book a taxi and ask that taxi to come to pick you up at the hotel.

Taxi's will be allowed at the hotel and the family with luggage would be able to catch the cab at the reception.

I just arrived in Phuket and the Grab a taxi is charging 550 to 600 to go from Patong to the Airport when I go on the App. I think that is fair as it's about 36 kms. The black taxis are charging 800b so I will use the grab a taxi when I go back to BKK Monday and will report back. If the grab a taxi down here takes off like it has done in BKK it will save the punters at least 30 % on the black taxi fare. Let's hope the mafia don't <deleted> it up as these black taxies have been getting away with highway robbery for far too long.

Someone up the chain cannot be bothered with what the drivers actually do as long as they pay him the monthly fee in full and on time.

That someone up the chain could ask for higher monthly payments if the foot folk made more.

I guess it's not only most of the locals who have no sense for business.

Has to be Sunsuri as that is the only "new" (going on year two,maybe three) hotel at Nai Harn. The taxi stand is about 15 meters up the street from the entrance and I'll bet they gouge massively.

There is also a new one called The Windmill at Yanui beach which I guess counts as Naiharn. Or is it part of Rawai or its own thing?

Not sure if there are any taxi guys around there.

But yea if Naiharn beach then probably that huge ass Sunsuri thing which I'd be surprised if it had legal land papers.

TacoHell: mind telling us the name?

You were asked to go to the road, book a taxi and ask that taxi to come to pick you up at the hotel.

Taxi's will be allowed at the hotel and the family with luggage would be able to catch the cab at the reception.

no, me and my partner were told in no uncertain terms, that in order to get a taxi we had to walk with luggage 300 meters off the property to get a taxi. They could of radioed the security gate, where the taxis are not far and it was the security guy who I asked for a taxi in the end anyway. Taxis/drivers are not allowed inside this hotel. I was not ripped off either, taxi from Nai Harn to Kats 300THB.

edit: If I had a driver arranged from outside the hotel, Im pretty sure that would not be an issue with them coming to reception.

Edited by TacoHell

Has to be Sunsuri as that is the only "new" (going on year two,maybe three) hotel at Nai Harn. The taxi stand is about 15 meters up the street from the entrance and I'll bet they gouge massively.

ding ding! And its a nice place and would go again or have family stay there. I would just have transport arranged ahead of time.

I tried it from my hotel on Sukumvit in BKK. Said no driver available.

How do you know what he was told, genius? If it were a question of going to retrieve a taxi, I have never seen accommodation in Thailand where they wouldn't send staff to get a taxi for their guest.

Argumentative for argument's sake, and boring.

How do you know what he was told, genius? If it were a question of going to retrieve a taxi, I have never seen accommodation in Thailand where they wouldn't send staff to get a taxi for their guest.

Argumentative for argument's sake, and boring.

I have never seen accommodation where they don't allow taxi's picking up guests. So I don't believe the op here.

Strange post BTW, talking about argumentive for argument's sake.

Back to the OP, yes,the lobby of The Sunsuri is about 300 meters to the road and that they could not arrange transportation for you (?), that is an odd situation, flat out poor service.

They could've sent someone to the taxi stand,that as mentioned prior is just adjacent, ten meters to the right when exiting, why they couldn't even manage that is strange.

If you are local, I would go back there and speak with the GM, not so much as to complain but to give him the "heads-up" on what happened. Seems like you had a nice stay and to end it like that is sort of a shame.

Back to the OP, yes,the lobby of The Sunsuri is about 300 meters to the road and that they could not arrange transportation for you (?), that is an odd situation, flat out poor service.

They could've sent someone to the taxi stand,that as mentioned prior is just adjacent, ten meters to the right when exiting, why they couldn't even manage that is strange.

If you are local, I would go back there and speak with the GM, not so much as to complain but to give him the "heads-up" on what happened. Seems like you had a nice stay and to end it like that is sort of a shame.

HI GOM,

As I stated, we had hand luggage. This wasn't a big deal in my mind. In my stay in Phuket I have learned just to accept the facts, I didn't want to make a stink about as some day maybe I shall return.

As StevenL pointed out, I guess it would of been possible to walk, arrange the taxi, and the taxi would of been allowed inside the property to take us.

There are countless threads on this forum where hotels do not want any independent taxis anywhere near their properties.

My travel itinerary in the past 6 months includes the shangri la BKK, Shangri La Chianga Mai, and the Hilton Karon. All of which were simple, had taxi queues.

But, in this particular instance, with no complaints and quite an enjoyable time, and with reception contacting their own transport which was not available, I was told to walk to the road to retrieve a taxi.

I was not ripped off, I was not treated poorly, it is what it is.

Sigh. Here it goes: I remember when there was one hotel on Nai Harn and some bungalows. The bungalows charged $3.50 a night. Same beach as the hotel. I have to remember to Live in the Present!. 5555

Same as me mate,lived on the hill for 30 b/day.Sticks at the restuarant were 20 baht.Those were the days.

"You were asked to go to the road, book a taxi and ask that taxi to come to pick you up at the hotel." - only "a world class tourist destination" would have such a great system in place.

Should make for a nice walk, in the pouring rain.

This is the BS that sums Phuket up, perfectly, for it's rapidly shrinking western tourist market.

This was not meant to be a slam on Phuket transport per-se , For example the Hilton Karon has a fleet of taxis, so no problem getting in or out.

There are countless threads on TV where the taxi mafia have gone as far as intimidating and as far as beating tourists for not using their service.

So, this is not a slam on a hotel, just maybe they are covering their A$$. Liability comes to mind.

This was not meant to be a slam on Phuket transport per-se , For example the Hilton Karon has a fleet of taxis, so no problem getting in or out.

There are countless threads on TV where the taxi mafia have gone as far as intimidating and as far as beating tourists for not using their service.

So, this is not a slam on a hotel, just maybe they are covering their <deleted>. Liability comes to mind.

It doesn't have to be "a slam."

It's the way it is here, and it has gone beyond ridiculous.

Still don't understand why there is no official central taxi call center whos number hotels could give out. Pretty standard in many places of the world. Even the taxi mafia should not oppose that since it would bring them more customers.

This would never work in Phuket....

Imagine the stench of all those Taxi drivers pissing on the same tree...gross