PM keen to meet new US ambassador

Lite Beer

I am sure the Thai bashers will have a lot to say about the PM regarding his comments. I do agree that a Democracy does need to be re-established, but it must be done correctly. Time is running short for the PM before the people will demand the return of an elected government. I will say however, to those Farangs that like to Thai bash, has the coup made your life worse, better, or the same. If worse, can you tell us in what way please? Thank you......

Why would the coup make any difference one way or another in a farang's life? Farangs cannot vote or have a say in the governance of Thailand. What farangs got in return from the loss of democracy in Thailand is, for the most part, the ease with which they can go to lunch or dinner and carry on with their daily routines. The Thais are being denied all sorts of basic rights, the most important being electing their government.

"I wish the envoy comes here quick and meets me first so that we can discuss issues. If he listens to others, there will be misunderstanding," Prayut said.

The first person the Ambassador will see is HM the King or one of his representatives to show his credentials of being accepted as the US ambassador to Thailand.

Furthermore the Ambassador follows the tone from the US State Department and my guess will be that the ambassador will not meet Prayuth as it will look like an endorsement. Once Thailand sets a real election date the Ambassador might be willing to meet him.

I'll be very disappointed if the US Ambassador is ready to "officially" sit down with a military leader and discuss relations as if he were an elected leader.

I think he will not. The ambassador might send some lower ranking diplomatic staffs to meet Prayuth. SO far almost all Western ambassadors have not met up with Prayuth but they send some deputies

I am sure the Thai bashers will have a lot to say about the PM regarding his comments. I do agree that a Democracy does need to be re-established, but it must be done correctly. Time is running short for the PM before the people will demand the return of an elected government. I will say however, to those Farangs that like to Thai bash, has the coup made your life worse, better, or the same. If worse, can you tell us in what way please? Thank you......

Immigration are continuing to find ever more creative ways to make our farang hides even more miserable on the back of the General's insanely nationalistic rhetoric. Frankly, after all this time here, I give a rat's for the exchange rate and not to be unnecessarily bothered by officious peasants in uniform. As to the rest, as I'm constantly reminded, not my business.