Restoring democracy 'will boost economy'

Lite Beer

Restoring democracy 'will boost economy'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Anuttama Amornwiwat, Pheu Thai Party's caretaker deputy secretary-general, has called on the government to work on stimulating the Thai economy, adding that restoring democracy would prevent the economy from collapsing.

She said that according to Pheu Thai's economic team, the economy is likely to slump further. Anuttama said many public and private agencies were concerned that the economy will grow less than 3 per cent this year, and that the Kingdom would have experienced 0 per cent growth if not for low inflation rate this year.

She also warned that experts could fall further if the United States and the European Union decide to pose sanctions on Thailand.

Anuttama added that the only solution is to restore democracy. She also slammed those who are calling for reforms before elections, saying there were no tangible plans and this would drag the economy down further until people's suffering becomes unbearable.

She went on to say that she did not agree with the government's economic team, which is blaming the global slowdown for Thai economic woes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Restoring-democracy-will-boost-economy-30266206.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-08

PT have an economic team????.......sure they do!

Yes, all graduates of the Shinawatra School of Economics.

Perhaps the current incumbents need to attend?

Good suggestion considering Taksin Shinawat, all the Shinawat family, have more brains in their fingernails than the entire Army Club.

LOL. Probably true. Still, I doubt they could do much worse than the present gang if they were trying to bankrupt the country.

Are the USA or the EU even thinking about imposing economic sanctions ?

Maybe the report originator, Mrs Deputy S-G, is unaware that there is a real global economic cooling.

Check the BRIC countries results, Brazil, Russia and China are slowing, and India is holding about level.

A change of government in Thailand is no guarantee of any change in the country's economic status. ( But, no doubt a salary boost for Mrs Deputy S-G)

The true expression of democracy that led to Yingluck being elected actually worsened Thailand's economic woes - the 300 baht minimum wage policy was certainly one factor in jobs moving overseas, for example. I was in Thailand prior to that election and just despaired at the 'let's-vote-ourselves-rich' mentality of the Thais.

" Anuttama said many public and private agencies were concerned that the economy will grow less than 3 per cent this year"

The 3% prediction comes from the Bank of Thailand. The United Overseas Bank now projects GDP growth at 2.7%. And this doesn't anticipate any economic sanctions on Thai seafood by EU or the USA nor account for the economic strangulation of mounting agricultural debt climbing to 3 trillion baht. Ironically, Prayut's government has contributed to higher household debt with a series of short-sighted populist policies.

In anticipation of continued or increased political discourse, foreign investors will begin shifting to other ASEAN nations such as Vietnam and Malaysia. Meanwhile, price increases in foreign imports will create hoarding that in turn will drive domestic prices up similar to what happened in Venzuela.

Frankly, a projection of 2.7% growth rate will be an upper limit for 2015. And there's still four more months where the Prayut government can continue to make more inept economic decisions.

I am developing quite an interest in seeing how far this government can drive the economy down. This is the purist form of corruption. Power for powers sake no regard to financial losses of others. They know true democracy takes away lots of their power. Take away the power and they cannot corrupt as much. Theywant to lead the crowd in corruption.

I am developing quite an interest in seeing how far this government can drive the economy down. This is the purist form of corruption. Power for powers sake no regard to financial losses of others. They know true democracy takes away lots of their power. Take away the power and they cannot corrupt as much. Theywant to lead the crowd in corruption.

Well, they want to maintain the status-quo in Thailand, a kleptocracy. That was the reason for the coup, it was the only reason. Anything else they say is designed only to be believed by fools.

At this point in time, it is stupid to believe democracy will improve Thailand's economy. The Thai people do not have the maturity to help themselves. No country in the world can survive without the cooperation of the global economy.

And the global community in aggregate want Thailand to have a democracy. An elected government, properly mandated and managed by the people would be able to roll back some of the institutionalised measures put in place specifically to maintain a feudal country.

I agree that Thais do not have a lot of maturity - that's an educational problem, and the gentry in Thailand have managed the educational system for their own benefit for decades.

The answer is not to have yet another totalitarian government, the answer is to educate Thais, who have for decades placed their trust in the wrong people.

Edited by Bodene

The problem of populist policies is similar to kids eating sweets. They are sweet and make you feel nice but the transitory comfort ends up with rotted teeth and diabetes similarly drugs provide a temporary release from reality but eventually you have to come down and that is even more unpleasant than sugar depravation. The general populace is stupid here as in nearly everywhere and the politicians are no better than the common man other than their honed traitorous skills of corruption which the ordinary sheeplike Thai even accepts withoutuch argument. Until that attitude changes the country will continue to flap aimlessly about like a grounded fish.

At the moment everyone has to ride out the slump , just this morning Rio Tinto announced a 82% drop in net profit for the first half of the year, that will tell you how well things are going , Thailand is just another in a chain of another's, although a Democracy would entice a company looking for a stable sovereign risk country to operate out of and a Junta wouldn't attract as many investments, Thailand's economy wouldn't be effected with a strong resilient business base they have, although in countries with now high unemployment the need to travel abroad takes a hit, it is the world situation that will curtail any improvement, as orders slow , so does the economy , no lessons here just common sense , Thailand is just like everywhere else.coffee1.gif

Good suggestion considering Taksin Shinawat, all the Shinawat family, have more brains in their fingernails than the entire Army Club.

yes and they use all of it to steal money from the country

At this point in time, it is stupid to believe democracy will improve Thailand's economy. The Thai people do not have the maturity to help themselves. No country in the world can survive without the cooperation of the global economy.

And the global community in aggregate want Thailand to have a democracy. An elected government, properly mandated and managed by the people would be able to roll back some of the institutionalised measures put in place specifically to maintain a feudal country.

I agree that Thais do not have a lot of maturity - that's an educational problem, and the gentry in Thailand have managed the educational system for their own benefit for decades.

The answer is not to have yet another totalitarian government, the answer is to educate Thais, who have for decades placed their trust in the wrong people.

The global community, who is that? That are politicians that are afraid of being removed from the feeding trough......

And an elected government will not roll back some institutionaled measures they will modify them to keep themself on the top. Don't forget it was the Shinawatra clan who was in power most of the last 15 years. They further damaged the educational system they tailored the legal system in a way that they are on top of the feudal system. That will be exactly the same after the next election.

I complete agree with the need of education.....If we would start it tomorrow (and I don't see anyone doing it) how long would it need to have effect on most of the population? 50 years? 80 years?

LOL. Probably true. Still, I doubt they could do much worse than the present gang if they were trying to bankrupt the country.

They did last time.

"Good People" are noble, know what's best for the masses and must be trusted. This is the inherent backbone of the Thai social contract.

Sure, their current/recent efforts have cost the country much, much, much more than any rice scheme, but they're doing everything for the "good of the people".

The downturn in the Thai economy is best blamed on the previous government, the U.S.A., el Nino, Greece, the Chinese stock market and the "global economic downturn".

Fear not, all will be fine once the "Good People" have been in power for a few more decades.

The global community, who is that? That are politicians that are afraid of being removed from the feeding trough......

And an elected government will not roll back some institutionaled measures they will modify them to keep themself on the top. Don't forget it was the Shinawatra clan who was in power most of the last 15 years. They further damaged the educational system they tailored the legal system in a way that they are on top of the feudal system. That will be exactly the same after the next election.

I complete agree with the need of education.....If we would start it tomorrow (and I don't see anyone doing it) how long would it need to have effect on most of the population? 50 years? 80 years?

I would expect 2 generations for the educational system to develop educated Thais.

I understand your cynicism, there is lots of evidence to support it, but in my original comment I specifically (and deliberately) said " An elected government, properly mandated and managed by the people", though Thailand hasn't had one of those yet.

The global community (in this context) is the community or trading partners on whom Thailand depends absolutely. I know it's fashionable among Thais to say they don't need USA, EU, western countries in general, but that;s just childish as Prayuth makes clear when he sets out to appease them after slagging them off for the benefit of the Thai audience. Again, that's an educational issue - how to behave like a grown-up.

They did last time.

In your opinion.

I would expect 2 generations for the educational system to develop educated Thais.

I understand your cynicism, there is lots of evidence to support it, but in my original comment I specifically (and deliberately) said " An elected government, properly mandated and managed by the people", though Thailand hasn't had one of those yet.

The global community (in this context) is the community or trading partners on whom Thailand depends absolutely. I know it's fashionable among Thais to say they don't need USA, EU, western countries in general, but that;s just childish as Prayuth makes clear when he sets out to appease them after slagging them off for the benefit of the Thai audience. Again, that's an educational issue - how to behave like a grown-up.

I would expect way more than 2 generations.....I would call it a success when you have all the teacher you need after 2 generations. Don't forget that you need to educated the teachers first.

"I understand your cynicism, there is lots of evidence to support it, but in my original comment I specifically (and deliberately) said " An elected government, properly mandated and managed by the people", though Thailand hasn't had one of those yet."

Yes I fully agree, but how should that happen? Any election will bring exactly the same dinosaurs as before which are way worse than the General (note I am not saying the General is good, just the other options are worse).

The global community are neither the normal John who confuse Thailand with Taiwan nor General Motors which only looks for their profit. It is only corrupt foreign politician who fear themself. Indeed if the EU makes sanctions against Thailand it would be a disaster for Thailand. (I doubt USA can do sanctions as they fear the Chinese influence).

So we have a global economic downturn, but the PTP weather men think it still the Junta's fault for the sluggish economy. Interesting.

Maybe Prayut and the team should tell a white lie and suggest there will not be an economic contraction, but in fact economic growth. That would keep the PTP at bay right? Keep the hounds away from the doorstep. Surely Prayut knows that it will create confidence by lying about this. Sometimes they need to lie to create good feelings right? Remember the goal is to create confidence, which in turn benefits the country's economy as a whole. Surely Prayut knows this.

​What Prayut knows is that lying to the population is wrong and holds the majority in contempt.

"She went on to say that she did not agree with the government's economic team, which is blaming the global slowdown for Thai economic woes"

Hang on....When the PTP were in power and witnessing a global economic downturn Kittiratt (the white liar) admitted that sometimes he had to exaggerate about the country's economic growth even though he was fully aware that the global economic slowdown was likely to affect Thailand. So when the PTP are in power they are allowed to blame the global downturn and lie, but when the big bad Junta are in power that is not the case and they are not even acknowledged for telling the truth about the economy..

This is very rich coming from a person speaking on behalf of a political party that blamed inflation on "Hot Weather making people imagine the price of goods was becoming more expensive". If these shins were so smart I would have thought they would have come up with a better excuse than that. But the people they targeted that excuse on were not much smarter so it would have been swallowed as fact. I wonder if air conditioner sales increased to counter the effects of this imaginary inflation?

​So while the PTP economic advisers weather men make their small political white noise try create fear they should just let the Junta get on with weathering (pun intended) the global economic storm.

PTP logic dictates to save the economy you need to buy an air conditioner. No wonder the Junta are not listening to them.

Edited by djjamie

No wonder the Junta are not listening to them.

Quite right. The Junta is best advised to not listen to anyone.

Oops, is it OK if they listen to the people? (Rhetorical question, of course not.)

The aristocracy paid for the coup; you can be certain that they are starting to get more than a little concerned with the Junta's economic performance. They were supposed to take over, quickly get rid of the Reds, preferably through "legal" means, draft a Constitution, and then allow the Democrats and NCPO parties win the "elections".

Obviously, that thing which no one can speak about is delaying travel time on the "roadmap", so the economy continues to implode.

No way out for the Junta, keep the band playing, re-arrange some deck-chairs and hope there are no more icebergs to crash into.

And more convictions and outstanding court cases!

Criminals often have intelligence shame they lack morals, ethics and honesty.