Naam prik - where is the good stuff?

MZurf

Are you a descendent of Simon de la Loubère?

Nam prik is a condiment and is served on food. If the food is bad, notwithstanding that the nam prik is "the good stuff", what you eat will be bad. Its like asking for the place that serves really good salt, pepper, or ketchup. With the exception, perhaps, of southwestern US barbeque sauce for beef brisket, I have never seen a focus on the quality of the condiment served in deciding where to eat, especially not where the condiment is as basic as nam prik. There must be more to your question or you really are having a slow day/life. And if you really are that concerned about getting good nam prik, make your own at home, put it in a small bottle and take it to the restaurant of your choice.

Next...............

Nam prik is a condiment and is served on food. If the food is bad, notwithstanding that the nam prik is "the good stuff", what you eat will be bad. Its like asking for the place that serves really good salt, pepper, or ketchup. With the exception, perhaps, of southwestern US barbeque sauce for beef brisket, I have never seen a focus on the quality of the condiment served in deciding where to eat, especially not where the condiment is as basic as nam prik. There must be more to your question or you really are having a slow day/life. And if you really are that concerned about getting good nam prik, make your own at home, put it in a small bottle and take it to the restaurant of your choice.

Next...............

Are you talking about prik naam pla or naam prik? I rather think it's the former. Man, talk about an epic foot in mouth post!!

Either way thank you for a completely useless answer.

I'm guessing that the OP means this vegetable dip:

3a808e928ec40bc6e72885cf707c1047.jpg

which is not the same as the nam prik used as a condiment to drizzle over noodles:

pick6DS6Z.jpg

You are absolutely spot on, but the second photo is of prik naam pla, not naam prik. The top photo is of naam prik. Edited by MZurf

What kind, even the ones you dip vegetables in comes in many variety,

And then there's the curry paste which is also called nam prick (gaang)

The chopped chilli in fish sauce however, is never called nam prick, it's naam pla (fish sauce) prick

i am a lover of prik naam pla but looking at the picture of naam prik makes my mouth water. what are the ingredients and how is it prepared? google was no help.

sorry, just found everything by googling.

Edited by Naam

i am a lover of prik naam pla but looking at the picture of naam prik makes my mouth water. what are the ingredients and how is it prepared? google was no help.

You should try it. There are many varieties - some good, some rather stinky. My personal favorite is naam prik pla too. Delicious if made properlythumbsup.gif

Next...............

Hey, Thailaw. Do let us know how your foot is tasting. If it's a bit pungent might I humbly suggest you sprinkle some prik naam plaa (a condiment) on it before inserting it in your mouth?

Edited by MZurf

Pattaya is "big" and has many Thai restaurants. Sure many are good.

Start with trying the ones where you are staying and expand from there until you find what you like.

Every restaurant/cook makes it just a little different anyway and all is about your taste, not other readers tastes.

Next...............

[/quot

Pheew...thank God for your post....can sleep tonight after all....I now know what "Naam prig" is....(that was close).555

Edited by dotpoom

Start with trying the ones where you are staying and expand from there until you find what you like.

Every restaurant/cook makes it just a little different anyway and all is about your taste, not other readers tastes.

I am well into my third decade as a Pattaya resident and have been to a huge amount of restaurants but since I will never get to visit all the eateries in Pattaya I am asking this forum. Naam prik is not a ubiquitous dish - in fact it's relatively rare.

"Every restaurant/cook makes it just a little different anyway and all is about your taste, not other readers tastes."

This sentence doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that the recommendations of other lovers of naam prik (note to Thailaw; not prik naam plaa) are useless??

Thai nam prik is a spicy chili paste served with rice and is prepared in a variety of ways and differs from region to region. In general, the basic ingredients of nam prik are some type of fish paste, garlic, fresh chilis, fish sauce and lime juice.

Nam phrik pla pahn is ground dried fish with fresh chilies; nam phrik pla raa is fermented fish with fresh chilies; nam phrik kapee is shrimp paste with fresh chilis; nam phrik oong is minced pork, tomato and fresh chili peppers.

To the O/P's question about where, you might try Somsakdi's restaurant. They seem to have a wide array of Thai dishes. Description and location shown here: http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/somsakdi-revisited-7552

f991c0097e52c1c407cc749980dd2765.jpg?v=1

Thai nam prik is a spicy chili paste served with rice and is prepared in a variety of ways and differs from region to region. In general, the basic ingredients of nam prik are some type of fish paste, garlic, fresh chilis, fish sauce and lime juice.

Nam phrik pla pahn is ground dried fish with fresh chilies; nam phrik pla raa is fermented fish with fresh chilies; nam phrik kapee is shrimp paste with fresh chilis; nam phrik oong is minced pork, tomato and fresh chili peppers.

To the O/P's question about where, you might try Somsakdi's restaurant. They seem to have a wide array of Thai dishes. Description and location shown here: http://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/somsakdi-revisited-7552

f991c0097e52c1c407cc749980dd2765.jpg?v=1

Thanks for the tip, will definitively try it☺

Surprised you have never come across it. I seem to see it everywhere.

There is no authentic recipe though; just a million variations on a theme.

I am well into my third decade as a Pattaya resident and have been to a huge amount of restaurants but since I will never get to visit all the eateries in Pattaya I am asking this forum. Naam prik is not a ubiquitous dish - in fact it's relatively rare.

Maybe because it isnt the sort of thing that Thais would eat in a restaurant?

We get it all the time in the free Buddha day meals in my condo building, and it also figures in just about every Thai buffet or Thai home meal I have ever seen.

But like plain toast it's not the sort of thing you would ever order in a restaurant (unless you're one of the Blues Brothers).

which is not the same as the nam prik used as a condiment to drizzle over noodles:

pick6DS6Z.jpg

My Mrs makes that and we refer to it as 'Nam prik ong' I am very fond of it.

I thought the sauce was prik nam pla, ie Thai fish sauce with chopped small chillies.

Edited by jacko45k

pick6DS6Z.jpg

My Mrs makes that and we refer to it as 'Nam prik ong' I am very fond of it.

I thought the sauce was prik nam pla, ie Thai fish sauce with chopped small chillies.

You are absolutely correct. Unlike a certain Mr Thailaw you do know the difference between prik naam pla and naam prik.

Maybe because it isnt the sort of thing that Thais would eat in a restaurant?

We get it all the time in the free Buddha day meals in my condo building, and it also figures in just about every Thai buffet or Thai home meal I have ever seen.

But like plain toast it's not the sort of thing you would ever order in a restaurant (unless you're one of the Blues Brothers).

Interesting point. Maybe you're right.

From Wikipedia:

"Nam phrik (Thai: น้ำพริก, pronounced [nám pʰrík], lit. "fluid chili") is a generic term that may refer to any of the types of more or less viscous, spicy, chili-based, hot sauces typical of Thai cuisine. Usual ingredients for nam phrik are fresh or dry chilies, garlic, shallots, lime juice and often some kind of fish or shrimp paste. In the traditional way of preparing the sauce, the ingredients are pounded together using a mortar and pestle, with either salt or fish sauce added to taste.

Nam phrik is normally served on small saucers placed by the main dish as a condiment or dip for bland preparations, such as raw or boiled greens, fish, poultry and meats. Depending on the type, the region and the family that prepares it, nam phrik may vary in texture from a liquid to a paste to an almost dry, granular, or powdery consistency.

Instead of khrueang kaeng or phrik kaeng, the words nam phrik can also be used to denote Thai curry pastes such as in nam phrik kaeng som for kaeng som[1] or nam phrik kaeng phet for kaeng phet" (emphasis added).

100% of all foreigners and 99% of all Thais refer to the fish sauce condiment with chilies and garlic and perhaps other ingredients as "nam prik". You can juxtapose the words -- "nam prik" to "prik nam" -- and add "pla" to make it sound like something different, but everyone refers to the fish sauce condiment as "nam prik". And if you asked for "nam prik" in a restaurant, they would bring the stuff in the second picture, not the first (unless you were pointing to something in a menu with pictures, which may be how you normally order your food). If you were looking for something specific, you should have specified what it was, "naam prik" wouldn't get you close. So, your first post was grossly inadequate; your second post was just plain stupid. No "foot in mouth" here.

Also from Wikipedia: "A Thai cook book from 1974 lists over 100 different recipes.[10] Among the most widespread varieties, the following deserve mention:

• Nam phrik kapi (Thai: น้ำพริกกะปิ) is one of the most widespread varieties and is typical of central Thailand. It is often eaten with fried pla thu and vegetables, among other dishes.[11]
  • Nam phrik kha (Thai: น้ำพริกข่า) is made with roasted chilies, garlic, galangal and salt. This northern Thai specialty is often served as a dip for steamed mushrooms.[12]
  • Nam phrik long ruea (Thai: น้ำพริกลงเรือ; lit. "In the boat chili paste") is an elaborate fried nam phrik using several kinds of fruits such as Garcinia schomburgkiana and Solanum ferox, dried shrimp, sweet pork, and shrimp paste in addition to chilies, garlic and sugar. It is eaten with salted duck egg, fresh greens, and, for instance, sliced Zedoary ("white turmeric").
  • Nam phrik narok (Thai: น้ำพริกนรก) literally translates to "chili paste from hell". It is made with dried chilies, shrimp paste, catfish, shallots, garlic, fish sauce and sugar.[14]
  • Nam phrik num (Thai: น้ำพริกหนุ่ม), a thick northern specialty based on roasted green chilies, onion and garlic, is usually eaten along with vegetables, pork cracklings, and sticky rice.[15]
  • Nam phrik ong (Thai: น้ำพริกอ่อง) is a traditional specialty of northern Thailand made with minced pork and tomato.[16]
  • Nam phrik phao (Thai: น้ำพริกเผา) is sweetened with sugar and, among other ingredients, roasted chilies and tamarind.[17][18] It is popular as a spread on bread or toast. It can also be used as an ingredient, for instance in tom yum or in the Thai salad with squid called phla pla muek.[19]
  • Nam phrik pla ra (Thai: น้ำพริกปลาร้า) is made with pla ra as one of the main ingredients. Like most types of nam phrik, a little water is used if the mixture becomes too thick.[21]
  • Nam phrik pla salat pon (น้ำพริกปลาสลาดป่น), also known as phrik pla salat pon, is a variety of nam phrik with powdered, roasted, dry pla salat (Notopterus notopterus). All main ingredients (the dry fish, red dry chili and garlic) are previously roasted until crunchy. Shrimp paste and sugar are also added, and the mixture is pounded with a mortar and pestle. It is eaten with raw vegetables, and is popular in Khorat.[22]
  • Nam phrik pla yang (Thai: น้ำพริกปลาย่าง) is mainly minced, grilled fish, usually pla chon, mixed with onion, garlic, powdered chili, tamarind, shrimp paste, fish sauce and sugar.[23]
  • Nam phrik tai pla (น้ำพริกไตปลา),[24] one of its main ingredients is tai pla, a sauce used in the southern Thai cuisine made with the fermented innards of the short-bodied mackerel."

Note that each one is "nam prik" and each is further identified as to its type. Not sure which one you are looking for (or if it is even there ("nam prik num" or "nam prik ong"?)), but what ever it is, it is "nam prik [xxxx]". But, given that you probably rely on pictures and not words, your excused. And given your very limited understanding of words and how to use them, I suggest you use pictures in your posts in the future. Good luck in finding "the good stuff". Next.............

100% of all foreigners and 99% of all Thais refer to the fish sauce condiment with chilies and garlic and perhaps other ingredients as "nam prik". You can juxtapose the words -- "nam prik" to "prik nam" -- and add "pla" to make it sound like something different, but everyone refers to the fish sauce condiment as "nam prik". And if you asked for "nam prik" in a restaurant, they would bring the stuff in the second picture, not the first (unless you were pointing to something in a menu with pictures, which may be how you normally order your food).

That's how I understand it also. "Nam prik" does indeed just mean "spicy liquid" and so covers just about anything. I've heard both Thais and farangs ask for nam prik in restaurants and get the fish sauce condiment they wanted.

I suppose it's similar to asking for "pepper" in a farang restaurant. You are going to get a grinder and not a capsicum. If you want roasted stuffed peppers then you have to order them specifically.

"Every restaurant/cook makes it just a little different anyway and all is about your taste, not other readers tastes."

This sentence doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that the recommendations of other lovers of naam prik (note to Thailaw; not prik naam plaa) are useless??

Yes, with the information given, the generic nam prik, it is hard to say which is best.--similar to asking where is the best B-B-Q sauce. There are many ways of preparation and many different ingredients in nam prik; it can be very spicy to very sweet or sour, and very fishy to very oink, cluck, quack, or . . . I prefer the pork and spicy, nam prik ong.

OP...it's easy to make your own nam prik...have a look on Google for the ingredients

or get your GF/TW to teach you. As member Thailaw posted...there's plenty of types

"out there" and many more that Wiki hasn't a clue about.

Here's mine..Nam Prik Reo (quick-fast)

handfull of those little thermonuclear chilies...red & green & yellow.

about 6 pieces dried chilies (long ones).

4 pips garlic.

1 inch piece of galangal.

bunch of celantro

juice of 2 kafir limes

soy sauce

fish sauce

brown sugar

You've surely seen nam prik in restaurants & stalls so you should know

how to cut up the chilies & pound/blend the garlic & galangal

add the soy & fish sauce to your taste then add the sugar last.

The sugar just cuts the acidity of the chilies but the heat remains.

Store for 1 day in a bottle before using.

You can also locate a restaurant/stall you really like & aske the

owner(s) to make you some...they will...with a smile at that.

Good luck in your quest for your perfect version of nam prik.

From Wikipedia:

"Nam phrik (Thai: น้ำพริก, pronounced [nám pʰrík], lit. "fluid chili") is a generic term that may refer to any of the types of more or less viscous, spicy, chili-based, hot sauces typical of Thai cuisine. Usual ingredients for nam phrik are fresh or dry chilies, garlic, shallots, lime juice and often some kind of fish or shrimp paste. In the traditional way of preparing the sauce, the ingredients are pounded together using a mortar and pestle, with either salt or fish sauce added to taste.

Nam phrik is normally served on small saucers placed by the main dish as a condiment or dip for bland preparations, such as raw or boiled greens, fish, poultry and meats. Depending on the type, the region and the family that prepares it, nam phrik may vary in texture from a liquid to a paste to an almost dry, granular, or powdery consistency.

Instead of khrueang kaeng or phrik kaeng, the words nam phrik can also be used to denote Thai curry pastes such as in nam phrik kaeng som for kaeng som[1] or nam phrik kaeng phet for kaeng phet" (emphasis added).

100% of all foreigners and 99% of all Thais refer to the fish sauce condiment with chilies and garlic and perhaps other ingredients as "nam prik". You can juxtapose the words -- "nam prik" to "prik nam" -- and add "pla" to make it sound like something different, but everyone refers to the fish sauce condiment as "nam prik". And if you asked for "nam prik" in a restaurant, they would bring the stuff in the second picture, not the first (unless you were pointing to something in a menu with pictures, which may be how you normally order your food). If you were looking for something specific, you should have specified what it was, "naam prik" wouldn't get you close. So, your first post was grossly inadequate; your second post was just plain stupid. No "foot in mouth" here.

Also from Wikipedia: "A Thai cook book from 1974 lists over 100 different recipes.[10] Among the most widespread varieties, the following deserve mention:

• Nam phrik kapi (Thai: น้ำพริกกะปิ) is one of the most widespread varieties and is typical of central Thailand. It is often eaten with fried pla thu and vegetables, among other dishes.[11]
  • Nam phrik kha (Thai: น้ำพริกข่า) is made with roasted chilies, garlic, galangal and salt. This northern Thai specialty is often served as a dip for steamed mushrooms.[12]
  • Nam phrik long ruea (Thai: น้ำพริกลงเรือ; lit. "In the boat chili paste") is an elaborate fried nam phrik using several kinds of fruits such as Garcinia schomburgkiana and Solanum ferox, dried shrimp, sweet pork, and shrimp paste in addition to chilies, garlic and sugar. It is eaten with salted duck egg, fresh greens, and, for instance, sliced Zedoary ("white turmeric").
  • Nam phrik narok (Thai: น้ำพริกนรก) literally translates to "chili paste from hell". It is made with dried chilies, shrimp paste, catfish, shallots, garlic, fish sauce and sugar.[14]
  • Nam phrik num (Thai: น้ำพริกหนุ่ม), a thick northern specialty based on roasted green chilies, onion and garlic, is usually eaten along with vegetables, pork cracklings, and sticky rice.[15]
  • Nam phrik ong (Thai: น้ำพริกอ่อง) is a traditional specialty of northern Thailand made with minced pork and tomato.[16]
  • Nam phrik phao (Thai: น้ำพริกเผา) is sweetened with sugar and, among other ingredients, roasted chilies and tamarind.[17][18] It is popular as a spread on bread or toast. It can also be used as an ingredient, for instance in tom yum or in the Thai salad with squid called phla pla muek.[19]
  • Nam phrik pla ra (Thai: น้ำพริกปลาร้า) is made with pla ra as one of the main ingredients. Like most types of nam phrik, a little water is used if the mixture becomes too thick.[21]
  • Nam phrik pla salat pon (น้ำพริกปลาสลาดป่น), also known as phrik pla salat pon, is a variety of nam phrik with powdered, roasted, dry pla salat (Notopterus notopterus). All main ingredients (the dry fish, red dry chili and garlic) are previously roasted until crunchy. Shrimp paste and sugar are also added, and the mixture is pounded with a mortar and pestle. It is eaten with raw vegetables, and is popular in Khorat.[22]
  • Nam phrik pla yang (Thai: น้ำพริกปลาย่าง) is mainly minced, grilled fish, usually pla chon, mixed with onion, garlic, powdered chili, tamarind, shrimp paste, fish sauce and sugar.[23]
  • Nam phrik tai pla (น้ำพริกไตปลา),[24] one of its main ingredients is tai pla, a sauce used in the southern Thai cuisine made with the fermented innards of the short-bodied mackerel."

Note that each one is "nam prik" and each is further identified as to its type. Not sure which one you are looking for (or if it is even there ("nam prik num" or "nam prik ong"?)), but what ever it is, it is "nam prik [xxxx]". But, given that you probably rely on pictures and not words, your excused. And given your very limited understanding of words and how to use them, I suggest you use pictures in your posts in the future. Good luck in finding "the good stuff". Next.............

You really should have just eaten crow and let this one go as you clearly don't know what the heck you're talking about. Have you ever been to Thailand or is your "knowledge" restricted to what you can find on Wikipedia?

"100% of all foreigners and 99% of all Thais refer to the fish sauce condiment with chilies and garlic and perhaps other ingredients as "nam prik"."

Again, you really shouldn't open your mouth when talking about things you are obviously clueless about since your foot seems to get stuck in it.