Modifications to Toyota Vigo for deep-water driving

simon43

There has been very heavy rain in Phuket and, for the first time ever, my hotels are marooned on a small hill, surrounded by flooded roads.

This is obviously not good for business.

As the flood water was rising on the roads, I was able to drive through when the water was about 1 metre deep. (This is standing water, no current/flow).

Now the water is a little more, and I'm not happy to drive my unmodified vehicle through water at that depth.

What mods do I need to perform so that I can drive my Toyota Hilux Vigo through flooded water, without risk of engine failure etc?

AFAIK, I need to:

- Extend the engine air intake - this seems to be a easy after-kit

- Possibly extend the exhaust (although I understand that water cannot enter whilst the engine is running). I would think that a simply metal pipe could be temporarily fitted over the exhauset and secured with a jubillee clip

- Extend the breather holes (this I don't really know about)

- Anything else?

I don't intend to drive in water >1.0 metre. But OTOH, I don't want the car to stall in 1 metre of water when loaded with a family of Chinese.

Advice is appreciated

PS - We already have a boat, just in case!

Update - The vehicle is a diesel, 4-door. 2-wheel drive.

Edited by simon43

1. Snorkel from your local 4x4 supplier. Safari are a well respected brand, should be in stock for the Vigo

2. Exhaust extension, probably from the same place.

3. Lift kit - I left that to last as it's the most expensive on a per-wading-inch basis.

Don't forget to extend the axle and gearbox breathers if you intend driving through deep water on a regular basis.

With only 2 wheel drive you may have an issue with the rear wheels floating off the road leading to a rather embarrassing loss of drive and directional control :(

Snorkel is about 18K? It is a good idea to get the exhaust above the water......the deeper the water the more the back pressure onto the exhaust.....and although most of the time you may be pumping enough gases out to keep the water from pouring in, you can't be 100% sure of this.....less so the deeper the water....so keeping the hole above the surface is a good idea......or even just fitting something that shuts the pipe when stopped.

A Lift will help too and there are various ways of doing this that may or may not affect handling.

Bigger tires will - if they can fit into the arch also give you some lift. (bigger diameter.)

I watch people drive through floods with dismay....they seem to think that the faster they go the more likely they are to get through.

The reality is that you should minimise the amount of water that splashes up over you engine - in particular the inlets/outlets for air & gases, and the electronics (even with diesels). To do this, DRIVE SLOWLY but in a low gear to keep the revs up......this will stop water from finding a way in.....and hopefully get you through the flood.

I inquired about getting a snorkel fitted when I purchased my Dmax a few years ago and was told my insurance would be affected so would recommend you check that out first.

My vehicle is fairly extensively modified - the insurance company have inspected the vehicle and then issued a valuation of the"extras" and added it to the value insured

There's a good thread on the subject here:

http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/maximum-wading-depth-of-2012-hilux-with-snorkel.24746/

As I suspected, if the water level gets to the doors, there's nothing you're doing to stop water getting in.

And some good tips here:

http://www.offroadaussie.com/2013/02/4wd-tips-and-tricks-water-crossings/

Edited by IMHO

18 K for a Snorkel.?.How many Cokes with 5 Straws per Chin must you sell before it becomes financially viable.gigglem.gif

That's actually about the price of the genuine ford ranger snorkel. Safari should be just fine. I think they are around 6K or so.

For the OP, isn't one meter already exceeding the wading depth for the vigo? I think you have been lucky so far:) There are some good suggestions here, but I've never seen definitie information on the legality of lift kits, especially tall ones. A 6 to 9 inch lift may attract the attention of the BiB.

Had to be done professionally.....The center of gravity in any car or truck is related with the hight between the road and the floor, and the weight of the car, and other parameters. Any big change will affect the stability, specially driving in high speeds, up and down the roads. Need the best car for off roading and water tigh? Get an old Land Rover Discovery. More than 2000 Kg and a V8 for pure sport driving on the wild.....

post-233549-0-75142500-1439094326_thumb.

Edited by BKResort

Had to be done professionally.....The center of gravity in any car or truck is related with the hight between the road and the floor, and the weight of the car, and other parameters. Any big change will affect the stability, specially driving in high speeds, up and down the roads. Need the best car for off roading and water tigh? Get an old Land Rover Discovery. More than 2000 Kg and a V8 for pure sport driving on the wild.....

attachicon.gifrover.jpg

True, and the best thing about any Land Rover is that if and when they break down in the middle of a river or anywhere else you can just walk away and leave it with no regrets at all....just a sense of relief.

I think at a meter with a 2wd given their generally lower ride height you have have been extremely lucky not to ingest water into the engine.

Around wheel hub centre depth would be ok.

If doing mods to get deeper suggest fitting an "off" switch to the electric cooling fan to prevent it kicking in whilst in water.

I think at a meter with a 2wd given their generally lower ride height you have have been extremely lucky not to ingest water into the engine.

Around wheel hub centre depth would be ok.

If doing mods to get deeper suggest fitting an "off" switch to the electric cooling fan to prevent it kicking in whilst in water.

2wd Hi-Rider/Pre-Runner are the same height as the 4x4 which is what I assume the OP has as he has driven through 1m of water and in a low rider vehicle this would have water coming into the cab at the door glass.

A snorkel and just keep the engine running is all that is needed for deep water.

That snorkel didn't save his car getting flooded though...

@OP watch to the end, then decide if this is an acceptable compromise - a snorkel might keep your engine running in deep water, but it won't stop the interior of your car, and possibly electronics, being ruined.

Isn't the stock breather on top of the engine?

I would be more concerned with the tail pipe, which should be a cheap fix.

A lift kit would help as well, but the snorkel seems a little silly to me.

Air inlet is off to the side of the engine sorta behind the headlight, the contraption ontop of the engine is the intercooler and it is sealed.

Exhaust needs nothing done to it unless you plan on turning the engine off whilst in deep water and only then as some believe turning the engine off in deep water will suck water back up through the exhaust.

A snorkel is 100% the best and first mod to do if deep water is likely.

Needing this in Phuket this reply say not help exactly.

Following the floods north of Bangkok was it 3 years ago now there were a few hobby owners who had modified pick ups at that time all set up on high axles snorkels and extended exhaust pipes. and were out & about on the flooded roads. Post floods it has remained fashionable to see many small garages modifying old & new pick ups with this equipment.

Given the area is now in drought and risk of flood this year low maybe you can pick up a vehicle already dressed up for flooded road driving at a good price?

Air inlet is off to the side of the engine sorta behind the headlight, the contraption ontop of the engine is the intercooler and it is sealed.

Exhaust needs nothing done to it unless you plan on turning the engine off whilst in deep water and only then as some believe turning the engine off in deep water will suck water back up through the exhaust.

I guess I should have said in the top of the engine compartment.

Regardless, by the time water gets in it, the vehicle is floating or more likely sinking.

I guess I should have said in the top of the engine compartment.

Regardless, by the time water gets in it, the vehicle is floating or more likely sinking.

Why ?

I'd say plenty of Pre-runner vigo's coped quiet well in the big bangkok floods with nothing more than a snorkel.

THe engine is at the front of the vehicle and has fans and moving parts it also will bear the brunt of any splashing.....most fit a snorkel before a tail pipe which to some extent is save by exhaust pressure and there is considerable margin of error at that end as none of the real action takes place there.