Stainless or Plastic Water tank?

Currently have an underground tank which has a split in the bottom and is constantly leaking - happened either just before or during cleaning sad.png Cleaning people and others said could try and fix for about 2k but no guarantee it would last especially as no way to keep it dry whilst "glue" was setting. Have lived with it for several months but water bills increasing so looking to replace with an above ground tank.

I remember a thread on a guy installing a new SS tank and having pin hole leaks so can others give any pros/cons and costs on which you think is better for an above ground fitting?

Two people with a small garden so guessing 1000L should be okay?

My friend had the same prob. I bought a 1000L plastic one with some sort of internal coating, can't remember the name, it's great, but it is inside out or the sun..

This would be outside in full sun most of the day - as that is where all the connections and pump are currently.

I have 2 SS tanks of a 1,250 liters that have been in use for several decades here in Bangkok and no issues other than high water temp did not play well with a previous water cooled pump on a few of the hottest days of the year. No holes or leaking of any kind. Some have reported issues if used in salt areas however so not sure how they will be after this years salty water issues. The stone finish plastic tanks are reported to be good and do not have the normal plastic algae growth issues with sunlight getting to water area.

I have a 2000 litre water tank outside in the sun every day. No problems. It is a quality one. I filter water going into tank and is filtered again before use.

I use unfiltered water for watering garden.

I have 2 SS tanks of a 1,250 liters that have been in use for several decades here in Bangkok and no issues other than high water temp did not play well with a previous water cooled pump on a few of the hottest days of the year. No holes or leaking of any kind. Some have reported issues if used in salt areas however so not sure how they will be after this years salty water issues. The stone finish plastic tanks are reported to be good and do not have the normal plastic algae growth issues with sunlight getting to water area.

Thanks - so any reason for preference in having SS or plastic and any issues in connecting plastic pipes to SS tanks? I won't be doing this myself by the way smile.png

I need to get out and look at costs but guessing SS is dearer and presumably there are different grades? I don't suppose you know LB what spec yours are as they seemed to have lasted well?

Mine are Diamond Brand which is good grade SS and normally considered one of the top brands here. No problem using plastic pipe. The new plastic tanks were not available when we bought and the old (blue) plastic was (and is) poor quality for storage as algae issue. Believe quality tanks are close in price now. One advantage of the SS tank is it is mounted on a stand and drain at center of concave bottom so very easy to clean out without entry being required.

post-20604-0-58321900-1418042312.jpg

Loprbri3 has posted a photo of a premium line of Diamond Brand Stainless Steel water tank. There is one "blue line series of Stainless Steel surface tanks" that is higher in price. Several premium, yet not costly, Sandstone plastic tanks are available from most any builders merchant store or modern trade store in Thailand. The delivery fee and if the store has experienced qualified installers is something to consider. I've bought quite a few water tanks for both clean water storage of my home, swimming pool and rain water for use in a couple of homes. Which dealer would honor the manufacturers warranty and could get the tank fixed in a reasonable time frame is something I have experienced in Buriram. The tanks had no defects, but misuse by village family on the rain water storage tank faucets is a different story. Prices for delivery might be posted at most any builders merchants on septic tanks or water storage tanks in Thailand or some stores have offered me free delivery in Buriram.

EVERY mainstream water tank brand has a printed brochure with very specific details including wall thickness, warranty details, size of inlets that can help you decide the best water tanks for your home. If you read the brochure at the store you are shopping it can show you the better features that some brands offer.

post-20604-0-28906500-1439136610_thumb.j

post-20604-0-21542500-1439136797_thumb.j

post-20604-0-16096400-1439136826_thumb.j

Loprbri3 has posted a photo of a premium line of Diamond Brand Stainless Steel water tank. There is one "blue line series of Stainless Steel surface tanks" that is higher in price. Several premium, yet not costly, Sandstone plastic tanks are available from most any builders merchant store or modern trade store in Thailand. The delivery fee and if the store has experienced qualified installers is something to consider. I've bought quite a few water tanks for both clean water storage of my home, swimming pool and rain water for use in a couple of homes. Which dealer would honor the manufacturers warranty and could get the tank fixed in a reasonable time frame is something I have experienced in Buriram. The tanks had no defects, but misuse by village family on the rain water storage tank faucets is a different story. Prices for delivery might be posted at most any builders merchants on septic tanks or water storage tanks in Thailand or some stores have offered me free delivery in Buriram.

EVERY mainstream water tank brand has a printed brochure with very specific details including wall thickness, warranty details, size of inlets that can help you decide the best water tanks for your home. If you read the brochure at the store you are shopping it can show you the better features that some brands offer.

Yes I have been out and had a look around the local stores this afternoon. Without exception they seemed to be steering me towards "plastic" and away from the Stainless - which seemed to be slightly dearer generally.

The two main plastic brands available were DOS and Wave with sub brands - about which the staff could not really clearly tell me why one was 500/1000 baht more than another for the same size - and the brochures I picked up do not seem to say either...............

Anybody know the standing of DOS vs Wave?

Just a suggestion, put 2" thick white foam board under the tank (Plastic or Fiberglass) this will stop leaks from developing in the tank as it will absorb the vibration of the water in and out. It also will prevent holes caused my small objects coming up through the bottom. (also damage from the cement slab base).

Since we have done this we have never had a tank leak.

Put the foam under the tank so when you fill the tank the foam will conform to it's base, after a week or so trim the excess foam, paint the open foam edges with Water based paint.

Most of the tank (Plastic, Fiberglass) failures we have are due to UV damage (The Sun) Paint the tank that will be in the Sun, you'll be glad you did.

Just a suggestion, put 2" thick white foam board under the tank (Plastic or Fiberglass) this will stop leaks from developing in the tank as it will absorb the vibration of the water in and out. It also will prevent holes caused my small objects coming up through the bottom. (also damage from the cement slab base).

Since we have done this we have never had a tank leak.

Put the foam under the tank so when you fill the tank the foam will conform to it's base, after a week or so trim the excess foam, paint the open foam edges with Water based paint.

Most of the tank (Plastic, Fiberglass) failures we have are due to UV damage (The Sun) Paint the tank that will be in the Sun, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks for the suggestion - where did you buy the foam board from and do you have a Thai name for it?

The stone look coated tanks are all claiming some sort of UV protection already.

White Styrofoam board is available in Natorn at the Ocean Glass dealer, the hardware shop attached.

Just past the 7-11 where you turn to go the back way to the ferry pier, keep going 30 meters on the left.

Best to break off a sample from something that was shipped to you to show them. Or a photo, make thing easier where ever you are in the world.

The only reason plastic tanks are gaining in popularity is because they are generally "prettier"...you can get plain ones or ones with flowers/birds/animals designs on them...come in various colors...just prettier. But with stainless, you just get a plane jane looking stainless tank. I have a Stainless 18-8, 850L Jumbo brand...had it for about 8 years now here in Bangkok....no problems....still looks like new on the outside and inside.

I'm glad I have a stainless tank over plastic as stainless just seems much more durable than plastic...it's lifted up off the ground by its support legs which adds protection from low punctures..some plastic tanks (cheaper ones) can still have algae issues. My neighbor got a plastic tank a few years ago and the salesman recommended it be put in a shaded area or large umbrella put over it to maximize its life span and reduce the chances of algae growth on the inside due to direct exposure to sunlight.

Either stainless or plastic is fine...both will last a long time barring someone accidently punching a hole in them...probably stainless longer than plastic on the average....plastic tanks can be prettier...plastics tanks more easily punctured/cracked...a person really won't go wrong with either one they choose as either will last a long time and either only costs approx half the price of a flagship Samsung or Apple phone which many people replace yearly.

Things to consider re stainless steel tanks

1. Chlorides in the water / soil ( if you intend burying them - if high chlorides do not buy a grade 304 stainless SCC can result ( stress corrosion cracking)

2. Free iron in the water or soil (if you intend to bury)

Stainless steels are susceptable to cross contamination from free iron causing at best discoloration of the SS, worst case will be pin holes in the tank as some one mentioned earlier this affects both common tank grades 304 and 316 (L)

In the case of mild discoloration this can be cleaned using citric acid or even lemon juice, for more serious contamination a pickling and passivation process is required involving nitric acid/hydrofloric acid - do not attempt this unless you know what you are doing the acids are very strong and dangereous

I also have the Diamond brand of SS tanks, over a a decade now looks like new, its store underneath a big tree. My plastic ones looks pretty worn from the weather and sun, but both are still fine. A quality SS tank should outlast a plastic one if stored properly too. If you are putting it underground, perhaps plastic will be better.

• 6 months later...

The only reason plastic tanks are gaining in popularity is because they are generally "prettier"...you can get plain ones or ones with flowers/birds/animals designs on them...come in various colors...just prettier. But with stainless, you just get a plane jane looking stainless tank. I have a Stainless 18-8, 850L Jumbo brand...had it for about 8 years now here in Bangkok....no problems....still looks like new on the outside and inside.

I'm glad I have a stainless tank over plastic as stainless just seems much more durable than plastic...it's lifted up off the ground by its support legs which adds protection from low punctures..some plastic tanks (cheaper ones) can still have algae issues. My neighbor got a plastic tank a few years ago and the salesman recommended it be put in a shaded area or large umbrella put over it to maximize its life span and reduce the chances of algae growth on the inside due to direct exposure to sunlight.

Either stainless or plastic is fine...both will last a long time barring someone accidently punching a hole in them...probably stainless longer than plastic on the average....plastic tanks can be prettier...plastics tanks more easily punctured/cracked...a person really won't go wrong with either one they choose as either will last a long time and either only costs approx half the price of a flagship Samsung or Apple phone which many people replace yearly.

Old thread, but useful.

My Diamond 18-8 stainless steel tank has just failed after only 5 years - bad leak from the concave bottom - it's up on a tower as shown. So much for someone's comment that Diamond are the best! Probably salts in my groundwater 35m deep well but quite high TDS (total dissolved solids) levels, particularly in this last years drought, have rotted the reasonably large pinhole (leaking 100litres per hour)

Having talked to 'my builder' - ie the original house builder, a good experienced province-wide commercial and domestic guy - and having read this thread, there seems to be no strong indicator one way or the other between plastic/PVC and stainless steel.

Builder says he can take the tank down and try a repair but it may not last more than a year, so I'll go straight for the replacement with the other material and let y'all know in 5 years if the plastic/PVC has fared any better!

post-74421-0-90308300-1457755293_thumb.j

post-74421-0-56509300-1457756007_thumb.j

SantiSuk: I am sorry to read about your unfortunate experience with a Diamond Stainless Steel Water tank. I've bought a few water tanks in Thailand and even had a water tank repaired under warranty in Buriram province. As you are aware, there are two different grades of red label Diamond 18-8 stainless water tanks sold in Thailand. The DMB is the lesser grade. The Blue label Diamond is a premium grade stainless water tank. I've had good experiences with Polymer Elixer, Poly Composite, Polyethylene water tanks sold as DOS, SAFE or Evergreen. The 20 year warranty has been honored with a real repair with no fee to me for transport to the Diamond water tank factory which made the Evergreen Polymer Elixer water tank. The owner of the Buriram Builders Merchants store I have bought water tanks was clear on the 5 year warranty period for all three grades of Diamond Stainless 18-8 water tanks. The Diamond Stainless steel tank was double the price of a DOS Poly tank of a similar capacity when I was shopping in 2015 for a water tank. Advanced Stainless Steel water tanks red label also have a 5 year warranty. It might be worthwhile to have the seller of your Diamond water tank facilitate a free warranty repair if you have the invoice showing you have owned the tank for under five years. I've learned that how a store treats after the sale service issues when I do not speak the Thai language is sometimes a challenge and other store owners have a better execution of customer repair service.

post-20604-0-31152300-1458224553_thumb.j

post-20604-0-17603100-1458225037_thumb.j

Stainless steel tanks cost significantly more than polymer/plastic tanks (not to imply the additional cost is not worth it which I think it is in many cases/for many uses)...that's probably the biggest factor in polymer/plastic tank greater popularity now days.