My dog seems to sleep at least 20 hours a day.

I remember I read years back, that it's normal a dog can sleep up to 20 hours a day. The dog that moved into my house also leep a lot, but can wake up instantly, if there's something interesting to bark at.

Just did a quick Google-check, several links talks about 18 hours a day, like this first post:
"Large breeds, such as mastiffs and Saint Bernards, generally spend a lot of time sleeping — up to 18 hours a day. True, dogs do sleep more than humans, but they don't sleep as soundly as we do. When they sleep and how much they sleep depends on the level of activity in their lives."
Source: http://www.petful.com/behaviors/how-long-dogs-sleep-average/

If your really worried consult a vet

But as long as he's still getting enuf cardio exercise personally i wouldnt be to worried and the same goes for the food, but be careful his 'pickyness' dont lull you into him totally controlling his diet that sometimes dont work out so well for its health,, or your budget.

rijit

Already had blood tests done at the vet, all is normal.

blood tests , all normal ? it is not natural for a dog to sleep its life away . its own motor reflexes prevent this from taking place . have dog checked for heart worms . if they are established , will not show in blood stream . worms weaken the heart , dog sleeps , always tired , weak and looking for a place to flop down and wait for the big sleep . soi dogs that flop down and sleep anywhere , well i would say worms are the reason .

Edited by mikiea

If your really worried consult a vet

But as long as he's still getting enuf cardio exercise personally i wouldnt be to worried and the same goes for the food, but be careful his 'pickyness' dont lull you into him totally controlling his diet that sometimes dont work out so well for its health,, or your budget.

rijit

Already had blood tests done at the vet, all is normal.

blood tests , all normal ? it is not natural for a dog to sleep its life away . its own motor reflexes prevent this from taking place . have dog checked for heart worms . if they are established , will not show in blood stream . worms weaken the heart , dog sleeps , always tired , weak and looking for a place to flop down and wait for the big sleep . soi dogs that flop down and sleep anywhere , well i would say worms are the reason .

It isn't normal? Do have any evidence to the contrary. A Google search says that dogs sleep up to 70% of the day. The dog is only 12 months old so I doubt he has heartworm, and anyway he's been vaccinated for that. I was worried that he was sleeping too long, but most replies, suggest otherwise, but if you have evidence to the contrary I'd be interested to hear it.

he's showing you he is content.

Content or bored? I'm thinking of maybe getting another small dog for company, but worried that they won't get along, as our dog (male) has been pretty spoiled and may get jealous of a new rival.

Content or bored? I'm thinking of maybe getting another small dog for company, but worried that they won't get along, as our dog (male) has been pretty spoiled and may get jealous of a new rival.

i think that might be a bad idea,why when ours came to us we were more or less looking after our neighbours little dog,but as he was here first he did take to him,but any other dog who comes near our gate he goes nuts.

another story there is a bangkeuw opposit us and has been loyal to its owner only for over 4yrs.on its own,that was untill last yr.they got 2pups for company who grew and grew and 2months ago almost killed the bangkeuw,now they have had to plit the garden by a steel fence and gates to keep them apart.

i worry about ours every minute of the day,he is our life and if for one minute i thought he was bored i would get him a blow up doggy dollwub.png but he is laying asleep by the side of me with a big grin on his face.

so as you and me give them all the love we can i can asure you they are happy.biggrin.png

i think that might be a bad idea,why when ours came to us we were more or less looking after our neighbours little dog,but as he was here first he did take to him,but any other dog who comes near our gate he goes nuts.

another story there is a bangkeuw opposit us and has been loyal to its owner only for over 4yrs.on its own,that was untill last yr.they got 2pups for company who grew and grew and 2months ago almost killed the bangkeuw,now they have had to plit the garden by a steel fence and gates to keep them apart.

i worry about ours every minute of the day,he is our life and if for one minute i thought he was bored i would get him a blow up doggy dollwub.png but he is laying asleep by the side of me with a big grin on his face.

so as you and me give them all the love we can i can asure you they are happy.biggrin.png

He seems to get on well with a few of the neighbours dogs when we walk him, but that's not quite the same as him having to share his territory with a contender. So, maybe you're right.

When the new arrival comes as a puppy, with 6-8 weeks young, it should not be a problem,

usually, the younger dog will accept the dominance of the older resident dog.

That can depend on the breed, or the mix of breeds in the dog.

I am sure, a second or third dog would be a positive enjoyment for all involved. Most like companionship.

So not know where you situated, but could deliver one or two of my now 4+ week young puppies. thumbsup.gif

11840560_1663241683908471_927966850_o.jp

11883212_1663242280575078_979287504_o.jp

When the new arrival comes as a puppy, with 6-8 weeks young, it should not be a problem,

usually, the younger dog will accept the dominance of the older resident dog.

That can depend on the breed, or the mix of breeds in the dog.

I am sure, a second or third dog would be a positive enjoyment for all involved. Most like companionship.

So not know where you situated, but could deliver one or two of my now 4+ week young puppies. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the kind offer, and they are certainly cute puppies (but aren't they all?), but am going to hold off for now and try giving my dog more exercise.