Five Chiang Mai cops transferred over illegal bars

webfact

Five Chiang Mai Cops Transferred Over Illegal Bars
By Khaosod English

14391793571439179514l.jpg
Security officers conduct an inspection at a bar in Chiang Mai province on Saturday night.

CHIANG MAI — Five senior police officers in the northern province of Chiang Mai have been transferred to inactive posts for allegedly failing to close down bars that were out of legal compliance.

The five officers, according to the transfer order released Sunday, neglected to follow the military junta’s recent order that outlaws the sale of alcohol within an unspecified “vicinity” of educational establishments, sales of alcohol to minors and sales beyond legal opening hours, among other restrictions.

The five officers were Police Col. Mongkol Samphawapol, deputy commander of Chiang Mai Police force; Police Col. Wachira Kanchanavipada, superintendent of the Chang Phueak police station; and three other officers from the same station.

They were ordered to report to the Royal Thai Police headquarters in Bangkok by this morning. Police officers facing disciplinary actions are routinely "transferred to inactive posts" in Thailand.

Police Maj. Gen. Pacha Rattapan, deputy commander of the Fifth Region Police, told reporters on Sunday that police have received complaints about officers allowing certain bars and nightclubs in the area to serve underage customers and exceed legal operating hours.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1439179357

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-10

In LOS no official are ever fired when found to be negligent or caught red handed with over 100 million Baht in a closet, as in the case of a former Transportation Permanent Secretary.

Unless, they belong to the party that is not in power. But the RTP is the exception to that dysfunctional rule.

Being the skeptic that I am and knowing that Thais will generally protect the reputation of even the most evil officials, is it possible that there is more to this story than simply failing to close bars that are within a non-defined radius of schools? The law is hardly enforceable in its current state, but it could easily be used to get rid of any cop that has had other transgressions.

In LOS no official are ever fired when found to be negligent or caught red handed with over 100 million Baht in a closet, as in the case of a former Transportation Permanent Secretary.

Unless, they belong to the party that is not in power. But the RTP is the exception to that dysfunctional rule.

Just imagine, police in some countries can actually shoot people dead if they are of a certain color....and not lose their jobs either....not even get sent to posts on "inactive duty"....would you believe that? Methinks Thailand has a long way to go yet to catch up with that practice.

Iam curious to know exactly, what an inactive post is?

Thai labor law makes firing people quite difficult.

So transferring to an inactive post is done because instant dismissal leads to a labor court case.

Being the skeptic that I am and knowing that Thais will generally protect the reputation of even the most evil officials, is it possible that there is more to this story than simply failing to close bars that are within a non-defined radius of schools? The law is hardly enforceable in its current state, but it could easily be used to get rid of any cop that has had other transgressions.

My thoughts entirely. Every cop in the whole country is guilty of what these cops are said to have done, so what's the real story here?

Well I personally know of two expat bar/restaurant owners who are are looking at packing up and shifting to another Asian country.

And presumably the jobs will go with them.

It's really rather shortsighted of Mullah P. to come up with this hare-brained scheme.

WELL being a Chiang Mai resident for 6 or so years nothing new I was in Bar last night left about 3am worse for wear again

Many bars around here still open till late and with friendly police who arrive change clothes and join in

so when a Thai cop get busted you get to go to Bangkok... and still get paid? and hang out and do nothing?

this building they transfer these cops to must be huge to house them all...

They move them away so they can't interfere with the investigation into their activities.

They will have to get themselves down to BKK, and consider moving family etc.

They will be put somewhere with nothing to do, but will be watched. Terrible loss of face and no chance to get up to anything. Or even worse if they are given menial tasks.

And worse of all, they are only getting their salary. The gravy train and trough have been removed. Replacements will collect their previous perks of the job.

They will want it to all blow over as quick as possible and negotiate their way back or another lucrative position.

The trials and tribulations of being a BiB.

Received complaints.... 555, someone snitched off the boys in brown.

Baerboxer, nice explanation.

Incidentally, I'm fine with bars closing at 12am... it's nice not hearing music jammed until 2am.

I'm fine with not selling alcohol to minors.

I think the 300 meter rule is kinda harsh and not really a deterrent. BUT, I am slowly learning that practical logic is not on the radar.

Just imagine, police in some countries can actually shoot people dead if they are of a certain color....and not lose their jobs either....not even get sent to posts on "inactive duty"....would you believe that? Methinks Thailand has a long way to go yet to catch up with that practice.

Wum!