Australian diets fail the test: survey

webfact

Australian diets fail the test: survey

AUSTRALIAN diets only rate a score of C with our addiction to junk food largely to blame

MELBOURNE: -- THE national diet quality was given a rating of 61 out of 100 by the CSIRO which analysed the results of a survey of more than 40,000 people.

Junk food intake was found to be three-times higher than the recommended daily limit, while the average Australian was found to consume the equivalent of 32 kilos of chocolate each year.

The CSIRO's Professor Manny Noakes said the results were concerning with "fairly unflattering" scores being given across all groups irrespective of gender or age.

"If we were handing out report cards for diet quality - Australia would only get a C," she said.

Full story: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/australian-diets-fail-the-test-survey/story-fni0xqi4-1227478820534

-- Herald Sun 2015-08-11

"Sadly it is now cheaper to eat fast and processed food than good healthy fresh food."

Even sader...fast food and processed foods in Thailand are 'luxury goods' that ALL aspire to. Fast food is Chic 'Farnag Dong'...right up there with 'whitening creams'. I am constantly seeing Thai girls with with 'brown' feet and 'brown' legs, 'brown arms and hands', but these 'white' faces that do not match their appearance (and here I thought that Americans were the only ones hypnotised and brainwashed).

Just go to 7/11 and see all the easily accessable garbage that tastes great...that Thais buy.

Not only do I now see lots of mostly 'puffy' white guys in LOS...but I also see lots of 'puffy Thai chicks'

The 1960's where 'fat people' were an ODDITY...!

dd86b13a810127559146b32f2ffdcd79.jpg

6808245_orig.jpg

Edited by lgking

If you want to see the real Aussie women (18 and up) they won't be seen in city upmarket shopping centres (there are some attractive ones there), they all lurk in the suburban malls. My favourtite are the black lyrca tights to fully expose the size of their substantial wadddling butts.

The guys tend to be pretty fit until their mid thirties to forties, then the wheels fall off. After that both sexes match up pretty close. Aussie girls often drink quite a lot and eat a lot of junk food. The guys do too but burn it off as usually pretty active.

I had the pleasure of living in Istanbul for one year, and had so many 'hot' encouters with 23 year olds (somehow it was my magic number). But if you got past 28...forget it. Bubushkas. If you are considering a long-term investment...always look at the 'mother'. If she is short, fat, and squat...so is your future wife.

Edited by lgking

"Sadly it is now cheaper to eat fast and processed food than good healthy fresh food."

Even sader...fast food and processed foods in Thailand are 'luxury goods' that ALL aspire to. Fast food is Chic 'Farnag Dong'...right up there with 'whitening creams'. I am constantly seeing Thai girls with with 'brown' feet and 'brown' legs, 'brown arms and hands', but these 'white' faces that do not match their appearance (and here I thought that Americans were the only ones hypnotised and brainwashed).

Just go to 7/11 and see all the easily accessable garbage that tastes great...that Thais buy.

Not only do I now see lots of mostly 'puffy' white guys in LOS...but I also see lots of 'puffy Thai chicks'

dd86b13a810127559146b32f2ffdcd79.jpg

6808245_orig.jpg

You make an interesting point. When i was a kid we used to go to the circus to see a fat lady, or a tattooed lady. Now there's one on every street corner

Do they have a choice now?

Look at the prices of groceries now? rocket high anything left on the shelfs.

People stopped cooking markets shrinks in choices for anything which was even 10 years ago.

More and more people can not afford decent food ....

Australia became one of or even most expensive country and specialy for own citizens.

Government is screwing down every possible way own people and does not care at all looking how to save the money starting cuts on own citizens.

I recently left Australia to live on my savings in Europe until I will be in title to my age pension in 23 months.

I am simply shocked what I just found in groceries shops here it is like it was 30 years ago in Australia and much cheaper then Australia.

Doing here groceries and anything I just don't know what to take because of such huge choice.

This is shame that 20 milions people having so much in this soil for sale like any minerals should live better then Arabs from their oil are having so much poverty this days.

Unemployment rates and specialy young people without the future ...it is begining of nightmare in social life of many Aussies .

Junk food starts now mainly from shelf of Woolworth and Coles ...everywhere quick bite is kind of junk food and expensive...

It will not change in near future at all.

coffee1.gif

I cannot believe the amount of chocolate. Must be wrong.

Can't be true. That is over half a kg per week. Many people don't eat chocolate at all, so that raises the consumption of chocolate by some individuals to perhaps 1 kg per week....maybe some sloths, but that average is hard to credit.

Know what else was an oddity in the 1960's in Australia? Old people. Life expectancy was close to 71. Most Australians did not live past their 75th birthday.

Today, Australian life expectancy is close to 83, with a large part of the population reaching 85 or 90.

Back in the 60's young people were dying off in higher numbers than they were today. They didn't have a chance to get fat.

Back in the good old days most men did not get prostate cancer because they died before it could develop. Today as men live much longer, most men die with the telltale signs of prostate cancer (an enlarged prostate). Does that mean we have a prostate cancer epidemic? Technically yes, although it is directly related to men living longer.

There is something slightly odd about the wording regarding chocolate consumption. This is what the OP says:

the equivalent of 32 kilos of chocolate each year.

I am not sure what the word equivalent means in this context. I know chocolate is added to a lot of things as is cocoa powder but 32 kilos sounds pretty high.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

Do they have a choice now?

Look at the prices of groceries now? rocket high anything left on the shelfs.

People stopped cooking markets shrinks in choices for anything which was even 10 years ago.

More and more people can not afford decent food ....

Australia became one of or even most expensive country and specialy for own citizens.

Government is screwing down every possible way own people and does not care at all looking how to save the money starting cuts on own citizens.

I recently left Australia to live on my savings in Europe until I will be in title to my age pension in 23 months.

I am simply shocked what I just found in groceries shops here it is like it was 30 years ago in Australia and much cheaper then Australia.

Doing here groceries and anything I just don't know what to take because of such huge choice.

This is shame that 20 milions people having so much in this soil for sale like any minerals should live better then Arabs from their oil are having so much poverty this days.

Unemployment rates and specialy young people without the future ...it is begining of nightmare in social life of many Aussies .

Junk food starts now mainly from shelf of Woolworth and Coles ...everywhere quick bite is kind of junk food and expensive...

It will not change in near future at all.

coffee1.gif

you better get back home gigman if you want to retire overseas on your pension, must be in AU for 2 yes before it becomes portable.

As for food....notice the supermarket wars in AU? most of the discounting is in the junk food area.