North Korean foreign minister visits Thailand

webfact

North Korean foreign minister visits Thailand

BANGKOK, 11 August 2015 (NNT) – North Korean Minister of Foreign Affairs Ri Su Yong has visited Thailand to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Thailand and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).

On Monday, Mr. Ri met with General Tanasak Patimapragorn, the minister of foreign affairs, to discuss issues of bilateral cooperation, including exchange of visits at all levels, cultural exchange and technical cooperation, particularly issues of interest to the DPRK, namely, food security, agriculture and public health, ICT and tourism.

On trade and investment issues, General Tanasak expressed his hope that the North Korean government would take good care of Thai investors in the country. The volume of bilateral trade between Thailand and the DPRK was 126.33 million USD in 2014. Thailand’s exports to North Korea include rubber, chemicals and plastics. Thailand’s main imports from the country include chemicals, iron and steel, and electric machinery.

On multilateral issues, Thailand expressed its readiness to facilitate dialogue between the DPRK and the international community. The Thai foreign minister also indicated that he would support discussions among ASEAN member countries regarding the DPRK’s request to become ASEAN’s dialogue partner.

The North Korean delegation, meanwhile, gave a briefing to Thai investors regarding investment and business opportunities in the DPRK, and invited the Thai private sector to invest in the country.

The Delegation also visited the Mae Fah Luang Foundation under Royal Patronage, which showcases best practices in sufficiency economy. The DPRK Minister of Foreign Affairs also visited Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate to observe industrial estate management and administration, as well as Charoen Pokphand Foods Public Company Limited to receive a briefing on agribusiness, particularly shrimp and livestock farming.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-11 footer_n.gif

North Korea invites Thai investors to invest in special economic zones

11873986_10153543997163637_1710152922_n-

BANGKOK: -- North Korea has invited Thai investors to invest in special economic zone with promise of special privileges.

This was revealed today by Foreign Minister Gen Tanasak Patimapragon after a meeting with visiting North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Su-yong yesterday.

The North Korean senior diplomat was visiting Thailand to mark the celebration of the 40th anniversary of the diplomat relations of both countries.

During the bilateral talk, the visiting North Korean foreign minister said North Korea and Thailand have been in cooperation in several areas.

He said the North Korea minister has confidence and admired Thai investors.

He invited Thai investors to invest in special economic zone which is going to open with promise that Thai investors will be granted special promotional privileges, Tanasak said.

Morever Mr Ri Su-yong also said President Kim Jong-un has expressed his regards to the Thai government and the Thai people, Gen Tanasak said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/north-korea-invites-thai-investors-to-invest-in-special-economic-zones

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-11

I think we all have observed the direction Thailand has taken, a long time ago.

Slowly, slowly, Thailand is turning her back to the west and facing East-wards.

I have heard of slowly, but your definition of slowly would make a 3 toed sloth give Usain Bolt a run for his money in the 100 metre sprint.

Thai - North Korean relations have endured for over 40 years. 40 years my friend.

I wonder if anyone would have said Thailand is slowly turning its back on the west in March 2002 when Thaksin Shinawatra received a 30-member North Korean delegation, headed by Kim Yong Nam, president of the North Korea's Supreme People's Assembly to jump-start a deal to export 300,000 tons of rice to North Korea with North Korea promising to make a $6.5 million payment toward a longstanding $120 million rice debt it owes Thailand. Link here.

After 40 years of relations there has been democracy, coups, democracy, coups, then after 2000, undemocracy, coups, undemocracy, coups and relations have sailed along unabated like a yacht in the Sydney to Hobart during gale force winds.

Of course those that conveniently yet illogically blame the rain on Prayut instead of warm moist air that cools making condensation occur would see Thailand "slowly turning its back on the West" as a breeze in the blame game of illogical reasoning.

What we are witnessing here is business as usual that has been going on for over 40 years between the two nations.

Ah, nice to see kindred spirits meeting.

Perhaps Thailand will follow their lead and rename itself the Democratic People's Kingdom of Thailand (DPKT).

well it was the red shirts who always came with their "peoples republic".......

And it was the man in Dubai who said that Democracy is not his goal. As well he spoke several times about forming a one party system (which makes the elections a bit more predictable).

Kudos to the Thai Military Junta for making the most out their limited diplomatic options.

Last November, the Thai Education Minister said that the two country's education systems were similar, and that they would build on this "synergy".

Thai Education Minister: Thai education resembles North Korea

The Education Minister and the North Korean Ambassador to Thailand mutually agreed that the education systems of both countries are rather similar and plan to develop ties by educational exchanges.

According to the Office of the Minister Newsline, Admiral Narong Pipatanasai, the Thai Education Minister, his Deputy Teerakiat Jareonsettasin, and Permanent Secretary Suthasri Wongsamarn met with Mun Song Mo, the Ambassador of the People’s Democratic Republic of Korea on Friday at Government House.

I have heard of slowly, but your definition of slowly would make a 3 toed sloth give Usain Bolt a run for his money in the 100 metre sprint.

Thai - North Korean relations have endured for over 40 years. 40 years my friend.

I wonder if anyone would have said Thailand is slowly turning its back on the west in March 2002 when Thaksin Shinawatra received a 30-member North Korean delegation, headed by Kim Yong Nam, president of the North Korea's Supreme People's Assembly to jump-start a deal to export 300,000 tons of rice to North Korea with North Korea promising to make a $6.5 million payment toward a longstanding $120 million rice debt it owes Thailand. Link here.

After 40 years of relations there has been democracy, coups, democracy, coups, then after 2000, undemocracy, coups, undemocracy, coups and relations have sailed along unabated like a yacht in the Sydney to Hobart during gale force winds.

Of course those that conveniently yet illogically blame the rain on Prayut instead of warm moist air that cools making condensation occur would see Thailand "slowly turning its back on the West" as a breeze in the blame game of illogical reasoning.

What we are witnessing here is business as usual that has been going on for over 40 years between the two nations.

Nice bit of Wiki and copy and paste and all that, but the 'relations have sailed along unabated' and other such flapdoodle demonstrate you still know nothing about the subject, given incidents such as the Hong Won myong case.

Thank you for inadvertently confirming my suspicions and have a lovely day.

Kudos to the Thai Military Junta for making the most out their limited diplomatic options.

Last November, the Thai Education Minister said that the two country's education systems were similar, and that they would build on this "synergy".

Thai Education Minister: Thai education resembles North Korea

The Education Minister and the North Korean Ambassador to Thailand mutually agreed that the education systems of both countries are rather similar and plan to develop ties by educational exchanges.

According to the Office of the Minister Newsline, Admiral Narong Pipatanasai, the Thai Education Minister, his Deputy Teerakiat Jareonsettasin, and Permanent Secretary Suthasri Wongsamarn met with Mun Song Mo, the Ambassador of the People’s Democratic Republic of Korea on Friday at Government House.

I never thought that North Koreas education system is that bad....

Difficult to understand what point if any you are making.

Has Thailand had diplomatic relations with N.Korea for 40 years? Yes

Does Thailand as a medium sized non ideological Asian power have relationships with all countries whatever their regimes? Yes

Do leper regimes tend to cling together making soft cooing noises because civilised countries dislike relationships with democratic regimes which are other than strictly correct? Yes

Is North Korea a disgusting murderous dictatorship which even the Chinese treat with contempt? Yes

Does the current Thai government isolated from the civilised world seek to give prominence to the N.Korean relationship because of the cold shoulder elsewhere? Yes

I think that more or less covers the ground.

Edited by jayboy

Difficult to understand what point if any you are making.

Has Thailand had diplomatic relations with N.Korea for 40 years? Yes

Does Thailand as a medium sized non ideological Asian power have relationships with all countries whatever their regimes? Yes

Do leper regimes tend to cling together making soft cooing noises because civilised countries dislike relationships with democratic regimes which are other than strictly correct? Yes

Is North Korea a disgusting murderous dictatorship which even the Chinese treat with contempt? Yes

Does the current Thai government isolated from the civilised world seek to give prominence to the N.Korean relationship because of the cold shoulder elsewhere? Yes

I think that more or less covers the ground.

The point he is making is the same (and only point) he always makes, no matter what the topic. "But Thaksin Thaksin Thaksin!"

North Korea?

How did he get a visa?

These guys are really "beyond the fold'!

Amazing Thailand

The whole world is against NK and Thailand accept them......simply amazing

I remain lost.

Regards

Is thats so that the whole world is against NK explain how Pyongyang University is funded by the US and UK educating NK elites and the Leader Kim was educated in the west and his brother visits London and Paris living it up. An uneducated opinion right out of the dumbdown western media. So Thailand is so bad looking to invest when South Korea do exactly the same? Edited by bim

What exactly does North Korea have to offer, other than countrfeit currency or illegal drugs?

A convenient enemy. To keep up western military spending. Thats why the west pay to educate there elite.

North Korea?

How did he get a visa?

These guys are really "beyond the fold'!

Amazing Thailand

The whole world is against NK and Thailand accept them......simply amazing

I remain lost.

Regards

you don't need a visa with a diplomatic passport

Google "A meeting of totalitarian minds" and you will find the names of the Thai ministers that have already been working with the North Koreans on educational systems. Shows you where Thailand's priorities are.

Google "A meeting of totalitarian minds" and you will find the names of the Thai ministers that have already been working with the North Koreans on educational systems. Shows you where Thailand's priorities are.

There are many countries that are in contact with totalitarian countries.....USA even delivers weapons to Saudi Arabia....

I guess Thailand is getting desperate. Even China does not want any thing to do with North Korea now, from what I read.

Don't forget to push him to pay back the balance of the monies owed for previous rice deals plus interest. Similar to the US and friends signing the nuclear pact with Iran. See you later alligator.