Minimum Working Age in Thailand is 18 ?

Hi,

I am pushing my 16 year old stepson to get a job, but he keeps telling me he can't because he is not 18. I think that is BS because on Google I see that the minimum age is 15, unless the work is dangerous or they are serving alcohol. I am wondering if the new government changed the law or not.

Does anyone have any experience with this, because I really want the get the kid working so he stays out of trouble...

Thanks,

Phil

Generally under 18s are only employed by a family member.

Yep, he seems to be running into this. It annoys me that the law is 15, but that does not mean jack because everybody thinks it is 18!

There may be legal implications for the employers of kids that young.

Stick him in a vocational college where he can learn to make zip guns in the machine shop.

Yes minimum age for working is 15 yo, but between 15 and 18 many "children protection" laws apply an have an impact of the nbr of hours they can work, number of days per week, no dangerous or hard/physical work, no work at night, ...

I remember someone gave a link about that, but where...? sad.png

There are plenty of children much younger working in the fishing industry, seafood processing, harvesting sugar cane, the garment industry, domestic service. In fact, 13% of children aged 5-14 work. (Source: http://www.dol.gov/ilab/reports/child-labor/thailand.htm ).

I'd suggest that you offer to find him a job in one of these sectors if he's too work shy to find one himself. Either that, or insist that he continue his education.

Similar to USA, those under 18 are usually flipping burgers, washing dishes, yardwork or something similar. On school days, there are limits, etc.

Swensen's, Pizza Company, Dairy Queen, etc sometimes have these workers.

Edited by 4evermaat

Thanks for the reply,

I am of the same opinion that the law says 15, not 18. I am having a hard time with this, but I don't want to back down because the kid needs to work.

Phil

My Thai niece worked for a time at KFC at their branch in Central Pattaya. She was 16/17 and worked part-time.

So it is certainly possible but, as others have stated, would be reduced hours in certain types of work.

Hes a clever lad for a 16 year old

Its called responsibility avoidance and its a common disease the world over. They do not want hard work in any way shape or form. They all want to become video game designers and buy the latest electronics but that takes money of course. Planting rice is dying profession? because no one wants to take it up and well looking at the water etc. mess I can hardly blame them. Put your future in the governments hands? hmm. Water for tourism etc. comes first. Your at the bottom of the water chain so to speak. Young people are not stupid as the poster says above they look at whats happening all over the planet and wonder where they will fit in. Then to take your eyes off of the education/work ball is all those beautiful babes running around in those short short skirts with slim legs although I have noticed some legs getting larger as I sit and eat my cone at KSK watching the world go by. For the sake of full disclosure my g/f says I can look as much as I want but cannot touch and that is OK with me.

some towns in Thailand it seems 18 is the retirement age for the local males.

jokes aside, I know plenty of very hard working lads and adult men. unfortunately I can also make the first statement from experience.

I couldnt wait to start working. I lied at 13 to get a job at age 14. I washed dishes and loved it. It was a nice restaurant and the staff were fun. Cooks were wild bastards, waitresses were pretty, and I was walking home with a fist full of money. I did well at school, excelled at my sports, partied like a madman and still had cash to buy a used car at 17. I am not an ambitious person. I wasnt then and am not now. I just accept there are certain things to do to get certain things. Its not hard to figure out.

Yep, he seems to be running into this. It annoys me that the law is 15, but that does not mean jack because everybody thinks it is 18!

I was told this by my wife, when I suggested that the feckless youth that is her son, might look for work.

Tried the vocational college route but he lasted 2 weeks before they gave him his marching orders.

So it seems he will sit around playing on his phone for over two years before he is old enough for someone to employ him. Of course by that time he will be totally unemployable, if he isn't already.

Before I was 18 I had a paper route, a lawn mowing service, car washing service, and I packed groceries at the local Air Force base. I had my own car, my own money, work experience, and I didn't ask for much at all from Mom and Dad. Heck, my first job was door-to-door seed sales which I ended up doing every spring. I started doing that at 12 years old. Nobody forced me to do anything - I wanted to work and make extra money. Oh yeah, before 12, lemonade stands.

No wonder why Thai men can barely tie their own shoes. Most of the Thai guys that I have any respect for come from the village areas and most started working fairly young. How else are you going learn a trade.

Edited by connda

Remember he is not your son, what makes you think he will get in to trouble unless he finds a job? How long have you known him?

Do you think he is the type to get into trouble? If he wants to work, that's fine, try and help him, but if he doesn't, it would be very unwise to try and force him. At 16, my father would not have dared to make me do anything I did not want to, he would have been wasting his time, and he knew it. What about further education?

Thanks for the reply,

I am of the same opinion that the law says 15, not 18. I am having a hard time with this, but I don't want to back down because the kid needs to work.

Phil

My Thai niece worked for a time at KFC at their branch in Central Pattaya. She was 16/17 and worked part-time.

So it is certainly possible but, as others have stated, would be reduced hours in certain types of work.

You have to be very careful here, you say he "needs to work"? But who are you to say that, you are not his dad.

He is 16 and almost an adult, did you tell his mother that? What does she say about it? Did you tell her "he needs to work"?

Like one poster said maybe he should continue with his education.

Edited by possum1931

Yes minimum age for working is 15 yo, but between 15 and 18 many "children protection" laws apply an have an impact of the nbr of hours they can work, number of days per week, no dangerous or hard/physical work, no work at night, ...

I remember someone gave a link about that, but where...? sad.png

Probably have better protection laws here than in UK for kids.

I remember my 16 - 18 'protected' experience in the armed forces in the early 70's very clearly..............................sad.png

Yes, i know, of track and not necessarily relevant to Thailand. But that's 1st world countries for you, no thoughts for the youth....................wink.png

Thanks for the reply,

Phil

You have to be very careful here, you say he "needs to work"? But who are you to say that, you are not his dad.

He is 16 and almost an adult, did you tell his mother that? What does she say about it? Did you tell her "he needs to work"?

The guy who is funding his living expenses, presumably. So every right to expect the boy to make some effort to earn some money. And at 16? Depends on what sort of education he is pursuing, but I think we are talking part-time, not full.

I was told this by my wife, when I suggested that the feckless youth that is her son, might look for work.

Tried the vocational college route but he lasted 2 weeks before they gave him his marching orders.

So it seems he will sit around playing on his phone for over two years before he is old enough for someone to employ him. Of course by that time he will be totally unemployable, if he isn't already.

beatdeadhorse.gif

Trust us, you can't win this fight, especially when the wife worships the ground her son walks on - I have seen marraiges wind up in divorce in Thailand because of step sons too lazy to find work............The mother will always take his side, either up front, or behind your back so - Fagetaboutit............my ex's son was the same (although not Thai, same same) I did everything to get him a job but he and she faught me tooth and nail. BTW its not the reason we divorced, but a pre-cursor to the finalegiggle.gif

Thanks for the reply,

Phil

The guy who is funding his living expenses, presumably. So every right to expect the boy to make some effort to earn some money. And at 16? Depends on what sort of education he is pursuing, but I think we are talking part-time, not full.

He has not mentioned anything about living expenses, he has not even mentioned his wife.

I get the impression he only wants to make sure the boy does not get in to any trouble.

I think we need to know more before we can comment any further.

Hes a clever lad for a 16 year old

Its called responsibility avoidance and its a common disease the world over. They do not want hard work in any way shape or form. They all want to become video game designers and buy the latest electronics but that takes money of course. Planting rice is dying profession? because no one wants to take it up and well looking at the water etc. mess I can hardly blame them. Put your future in the governments hands? hmm. Water for tourism etc. comes first. Your at the bottom of the water chain so to speak. Young people are not stupid as the poster says above they look at whats happening all over the planet and wonder where they will fit in. Then to take your eyes off of the education/work ball is all those beautiful babes running around in those short short skirts with slim legs although I have noticed some legs getting larger as I sit and eat my cone at KSK watching the world go by. For the sake of full disclosure my g/f says I can look as much as I want but cannot touch and that is OK with me.

Responsibility Avoidance I am going to have to remember that one, the next time I bitch some lazy bloke out smile.png

Right, I seen a girl still in her school uniform working the cash register at Tesco.

Before I was 18 I had a paper route, a lawn mowing service, car washing service, and I packed groceries at the local Air Force base. I had my own car, my own money, work experience, and I didn't ask for much at all from Mom and Dad. Heck, my first job was door-to-door seed sales which I ended up doing every spring. I started doing that at 12 years old. Nobody forced me to do anything - I wanted to work and make extra money. Oh yeah, before 12, lemonade stands.

No wonder why Thai men can barely tie their own shoes. Most of the Thai guys that I have any respect for come from the village areas and most started working fairly young. How else are you going learn a trade.

Yeah but Thai kids are different. His mother is still spooning rice into his mouth.

^^^ THIS !!!! The kid spends 6 nights week hanging out with his looser buddies, smoking, drinking, doing drugs, etc... If he keep this up he will be useless or jailed by the time he reaches 18.