Maslow Hierarchy of Needs

fang37

I'm not being a Thai basher, but I fail to see how this, in its entirety, can apply to a country that is driven by greed and has no respect for anything except wealth and power.

The bottom layer, physiology, is fine - just the unavoidable basics of living. But the next layer up, safety, would apply only on a very personal level in Thailand. Safety and security for the common good is all but nonexistant here.

Love/belonging - easily broken by the greed factor, and once again only applicable on a very personal level. The next level up, esteem, is the most perplexing. I've often wondered how any Thai could develop self-esteem when the culture dictates total obeisance to anyone of a higher class or with more money. Females are brought up to be subservient to men, and remain so throughout their lives, while the males are given the false belief that they are a superior product from the day they are born. Neither of these attitudes creates a solid field on which to develop a sound judgement of the Thai condition and to challenge the status quo.

If achieving the top level of this pyramid requires the lower levels to be in place, then I think we can see that Thailand's society has for the most part failed.