Wind-up drivers beware! Motorist to be fined 2000 Baht for this tacky car decor

webfact

such adornments are considered a distraction to other road users and could potentially lead to accidents.

I'll tell you what I find distracting while driving: the constant gnawing thought that life has no meaning and how it is a tug of war between whether I should continue this meaningless existence or face death by driving into a wall.

When will they *finally* pass a law that addresses this distraction, a distraction that routinely gets me stuck in the wrong lane, making me late for meetings?

T

Thakkar, you think too much ! biggrin.png

Try not to think of anything when driving in Thailand, just drive like you are in a mind numbing trance. Ignore the distractions and meditate. Astral traveling is good.

Or get liquored up, or stoned. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

such adornments are considered a distraction to other road users and could potentially lead to accidents.

I'll tell you what I find distracting while driving: the constant gnawing thought that life has no meaning and how it is a tug of war between whether I should continue this meaningless existence or face death by driving into a wall.

When will they *finally* pass a law that addresses this distraction, a distraction that routinely gets me stuck in the wrong lane, making me late for meetings?

T

Thakkar, you think too much ! biggrin.png

Try not to think of anything when driving in Thailand, just drive like you are in a mind numbing trance. Ignore the distractions and meditate. Astral traveling is good.

Or get liquored up, or stoned. thumbsup.gif

Oh how I profusely thank the non-existent God for the gift of wine and women! However indulging in ether while driving would cause me to bump into things, which would dent the car which would adversely affect its resale value. Even in a meaningless universe, sh!tty actions have sh!tty consequences.

Woe is me.

T

Yup, those darned wind-up key-thing is tacky as hell. No doubt those who like it thinks it's 'naraak ah!!!'. Still, to each his/her own. The thing is, aren't there much, much bigger traffic issues to address? Oh wait, I'm forgetting this is the land of tea money. Easier to squeeze 100b from a 'foam key offender' than to address the 'national traffic gridlock', for example. Or simply to enforce the law!

Foam key decoration banning......Thailand, solving one major problem at a time.

If it flies away on the highway and on your windshield it might be a major problem for you.

If hitting FOAM is a major problem for your car, maybe you shouldn't be driving it.

Flying FOAM is a seriously MAJOR problem........... it brought down the space shuttle Columbia.

A "distraction" for other motorists? - can't see that distracting them from texting, phoning, admiring themselves in their rear view mirrors or generally behaving as if they are the only road users out that day!

How about drivers windscreens festooned with lucky amulets, flowers, teddy bears, and that's before the DVD screens.?

Regarding those wacky wind-up keys, the Taste Police should be filing separate charges.

Yes 'front screen transfers,stickers, ribbons, soaps,amulets and other ornaments make 'blind spots' for the driver.A bigger concern.

I once hit a cyclist in London in the dark as his front light was obstructed merely because his speed matched my speed when approaching a junction [he was on the main road.]and his front light was obscured by my windshield frame.

Fortunately because i was driving very slowly the only damage was slight to his front wheel.

I thought this toys are not falling under any road Acts,

except thats forbidden with such toys play on roads !

I dont worrie about the speed ,

it safes expenses for the hospitals,

temple expenses mostly covered in thai by life insurances!

Are lucky lizards still OK?

IMG_6789.JPG

IMG_6790.JPG

I don't want to appear picky but aren't those geckos? Impressive though.

Correct...a type of LIZARD!! rolleyes.gif

Ok, ok no need to cause a skink !

if you count the number of lizards,

than you have the correct IQ from the driver - owner !!

A distraction? Take a look at the electronic bill board on the East side of the Pattaya Nua intersection with Sukhumvit. That to me is a much bigger distraction. Seen one wind-up,key you've seen them all - don't even bother to look anymore.

I am much more distracted with all the Chuck Norris and Che Guevara pics on Truck Mudflaps.

Also excessive lighting (like 1,000) bulbs on a bus are distracting.

The foam key is not distracting to me....

However, if it is improperly affixed, then a fine is Ok, as it could "fly" off the car. Same fine as for unsecured pickup loads etc....

This topic is a wind up, NO?

Seriously his has to be a "wind up" who could dream this up. How about starting with a real driving test and apply the rule of the road. Give everyone six months to do the new test then revolt the licences of those who fail or do not take it. The roads would be half empty with many holding no new licence.

There is no point in going into all the mad stunts I have seen here on the roads the list would be endless and I am sure everyones already familiar with the loons on the road.

A "distraction" for other motorists? - can't see that distracting them from texting, phoning, admiring themselves in their rear view mirrors or generally behaving as if they are the only road users out that day!

...and picking their noses....and squeezing pimples......sick.gif

people driving true red lights = 0 baht fine

people driving drunk, maybe 200-500 baht

make a joke on the back that hurts nobody = 2000 baht

You need to check what the fines for those caught committing those offences really are.

THB2,000 for tacky car decor.

THB400 for no licence.

....and if you deliberately run over and kill a cop in your fast European car, no fine at all. Just trot off to Singapore and have your mama tell the cops you have a tummy ache. ooops, almost forgot: that ruse can only be used if your daddy is filthy stinking rich.

Same same if you shoot a cop at point blank range in a nightclub with a dozen witnesses (none of whom have the courage to speak up). You get off, and later you get a job teaching cops how to shoot guns. .....but again, only if your daddy is very rich.

Another great example in how the police focuses on the lesser problems and not on the real problems, that's is teaching the drivers from committing constant road infractions. I understand that having particular car decorations would distract drivers, but how the signs on cars? Aren't those design to attract everyone ? Would the police also stop these vehicles too? I don't think so

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

this threads a wind up right? I mean those HUGE advertisements and screens are not a 'distraction' but a foam key is???

'Thainess' : winding up folk for decades

Talking or texting on phone - illegal but no one bothers enforcing it; speeding - illegal but you only get caught if a camera is working; picking nose whilst driving - acceptable; drinking iced beverage, or hot one, - don't know but everyone does it; ignoring other vehicles and just driving how you fancy - normal practice. Watching videos or the internet on in vehicle front mounted screens - why not, relieves the boredom. Billboard adverts, especially those nice moving ones, or ones with nice ladies - free entertainment. Kill a cop with you vehicle - depends who you are and how much you have.

Forget to stick your car tax paid on windscreen, put a foam wind up key on your car - crimes of the century, must be punished.

Unbelievable - but sadly true,

Something far more wrong and dangerous in the cars in Thailand mainly the drivers and its nothing to do with the stuck on bits on their cars or the 20 items hanging from the rear view mirror blocking off part of the drivers vision out the front the part that’s not required to see mainly motorcyclists.me first speed speed .

Seriously??............but driving these little pieces of crap at 160kph is ok?

Its obvious when driving that fast there should be no distractions on the road. Its another huge victory for the powers that be. It sure gives me that warm and wanted feeling.

Seriously??............but driving these little pieces of crap at 160kph is ok?

Sorry, just curious, but on what basis do you refer to these small cars as "pieces of crap" ?

You know that since the days of your boyhood that Fiats no longer fall to bits three blocks from the showroom, right? And that the Japanese build strong cars now, of all sizes, yeah? And that they discontinued the Trabant...

Just curious, because I've driven most of these small cars at some point over the past couple of years, and they are pretty much all very well engineered and built, and yeah, can handle 160km/hr - regardless of whether or not the driver can.

Or are you of the American school of thought that all worthwhile cars must be the weight of a planet, the size of an aircraft carrier, and possess the handling capabilities of a tugboat?