Spouse Visa Australia - Dilemma

Hi All,

Have already read many threads about the process for obtaining spouse visa for Australia but mine is a unique situation and I would be glad to get any advice from someone in a similar position. I will try to keep this as brief as possible but with giving the maximum amount of information I can.

I have been a merchant seafarer most of my life but with our current governments attack on the worker and the slump in Oil prices my future in the offshore is pretty grim. So I am facing the situation where I may have to return to Australia for work and so I am looking at a spouse visa as an insurance policy so if I do have to repatriate I can take my family with me. This is my story. I am 40 my wife is 27. I have been living (well 6 months of the year due to my 4 on 4 off roster) in Thailand for 10 years. We have been together for 6 years and married for 4. We have 2 children together both of whom are about to receive their citizenship by descent. The intention was never to live back in Oz and if things pick up again I may not have to, but I want to get everything sorted in case my situation changes. My intention is to apply for the spouse visa now while I am still living in Thailand. We intend to take the kids to Australia next year but this will be the wife and kids first time in Oz. So my question is this, what is the best and quickest way of going about getting through the whole visa process and what will happen, regarding residency, if the wife and I only travel very infrequently to Thailand after I receive the visa? Basically this can go one of two ways. Work picks up and I pay for the visa and go through the whole process only to stay living in Thailand or shit hits the fan and I need to relocate the whole family in the next couple of years. Sorry if this is coming across a little confusing but school was never my strong point. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Firstly to understand the forms required and document check list go to the URL below

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/801-/Partner-visa-%28subclasses-820-and-801%29-document-checklist

A booklet is published to assist with understanding the application process at

https://www.border.gov.au/FormsAndDocuments/Documents/1127.pdf

Obviously the children will have obtained Australian passports so no travel restrictions. Upon entering Australia after the spousal visa is granted your partner will be able to enter and depart Australia without restriction. The visa is valid for five years, so she either renews or applies for Oz citizenship after the waiting period.

Currently for partner residency visa lodged in Thailand takes between 9 13 months to be processed, cost is A$6865.00

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Fees

It would be a good idea to arrange an appointment with Oz immigration at the BKK Embassy to get feedback prior to submitting the application. Contact info at:

http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Visas_and_Migration.html

EDIT: I have helped some Thai Aussie citizens friends in Oz with applying for their Thai spouse visa application & found that so long as you're polite and ask for guidance Immi staff are very helpful.

Thanks a lot simple1. It will take a bit of time to go through all your links but thanks for taking the time. I realise I will probably just have to bite the bullet and start the process now while I am here and fully employed rather than try and.sort it from Australia and risk being separated from my family especially if it could take as long as 13 months. Cheers.

How things change

I had a lot of help from this forum 9 years ago to help with my wife's spouse visa and the cost from memory was $1700 and was granted 24 hours after lodgement at the embassy in Bangkok.

We had legally married in Thailand and registered the marriage at the Australian Embassy, had a child and I had already got an Aussie passport for him .

Go over your application again and again before lodgement and submit everything they ask for.

I can't believe it' cost more then 6k now for the visa

• Like 2

Starkey - I can certainly relate to all of this having gone through the process 3 years ago. I am similar age to you, my wife is 33 we have 2 children.

You must remember the Partner Visa can be approved in 2 ways. The first part is that you get approved initially for an interim visa which is for 2 years. As Larz2013 alluded too, you wife would need to spend the majority of her time in Oz in order to get the 'Permanent" visa which last for 5 years.

Depending on your situation and background, you may be granted Permanent residency straight off and not have an interim visa. This is what had happened to my wife. From the time of her lodgement of application to approval was 5 months. But as simple1 stated times can range from 9-13 months . Remember if you have to go back to Oz, you wife cant until she gets her Partner Visa.

So you may want to consider that if you do go back to Oz, should you apply for Partner Visa in TH first then, apply for long term visitor visa here in TH or vice versa. That may allow your wife to go Oz with you.

Alternatively do you get a long term visitor visa for you wife here in TH first then go to Oz, then apply for Partner Visa whilst in Oz. Now you would to check these scenarios carefully on the process, as I could not remember of the scenarios which one was more difficult to do or which one is still permissible or not.

But as you said your work situation could drop off then easily pick up again, is it really worth going back to OZ, why not stay in TH in between jobs, far cheaper. Or do you apply for a long term visitor visa for your wife if you temporarily go back to OZ.

In my situation , we only spent 18 months in Sydney and then headed back here to TH, we didn't feel like OZ was home, couldn't to relate to country any more. Well for myself that was the case after living overseas for 10 years. My wife who has lived in HK, SG and BKK and travelled extensively and even though made a lot of friends in Oz, never really felt settle there. Even our kids who are very much westernised as they are Asian didnt seem to adjust to OZ, maybe that's just us.

But one thing for sure Oz is expensive, especially Sydney, Melb and Bris. Hard to believe it is cheaper to live in HK or Tky than Sydney. Rather ironic I buy Oz wine or beef cheaper in HK than I do in Sydney!

• Like 1

Last time i checked it was around 4 thousand to apply.. Australian immigration treat you like criminals, exuberant fees, just keep going up and up......

How things change
I had a lot of help from this forum 9 years ago to help with my wife's spouse visa and the cost from memory was $1700 and was granted 24 hours after lodgement at the embassy in Bangkok.
We had legally married in Thailand and registered the marriage at the Australian Embassy, had a child and I had already got an Aussie passport for him .
Go over your application again and again before lodgement and submit everything they ask for.

• Like 1

Immigration treat Australian citizens, with foreign partners like criminals, asking for exuberant fees.. I applies for my wife on a family visa, first attempt denied, reason given, risk of not leaving, which was bullshit, my wife does not want to live anywhere else but Thailand.... Second accepted, tho a bond of 8 tho was needed..

If i could financial wise, i would be living in Thailand.......

Starkey - I can certainly relate to all of this having gone through the process 3 years ago. I am similar age to you, my wife is 33 we have 2 children.

You must remember the Partner Visa can be approved in 2 ways. The first part is that you get approved initially for an interim visa which is for 2 years. As Larz2013 alluded too, you wife would need to spend the majority of her time in Oz in order to get the 'Permanent" visa which last for 5 years.

Depending on your situation and background, you may be granted Permanent residency straight off and not have an interim visa. This is what had happened to my wife. From the time of her lodgement of application to approval was 5 months. But as simple1 stated times can range from 9-13 months . Remember if you have to go back to Oz, you wife cant until she gets her Partner Visa.

So you may want to consider that if you do go back to Oz, should you apply for Partner Visa in TH first then, apply for long term visitor visa here in TH or vice versa. That may allow your wife to go Oz with you.

Alternatively do you get a long term visitor visa for you wife here in TH first then go to Oz, then apply for Partner Visa whilst in Oz. Now you would to check these scenarios carefully on the process, as I could not remember of the scenarios which one was more difficult to do or which one is still permissible or not.

But as you said your work situation could drop off then easily pick up again, is it really worth going back to OZ, why not stay in TH in between jobs, far cheaper. Or do you apply for a long term visitor visa for your wife if you temporarily go back to OZ.

In my situation , we only spent 18 months in Sydney and then headed back here to TH, we didn't feel like OZ was home, couldn't to relate to country any more. Well for myself that was the case after living overseas for 10 years. My wife who has lived in HK, SG and BKK and travelled extensively and even though made a lot of friends in Oz, never really felt settle there. Even our kids who are very much westernised as they are Asian didnt seem to adjust to OZ, maybe that's just us.

But one thing for sure Oz is expensive, especially Sydney, Melb and Bris. Hard to believe it is cheaper to live in HK or Tky than Sydney. Rather ironic I buy Oz wine or beef cheaper in HK than I do in Sydney!

Just to add, last year I assisted a Thai / Oz citizen to transfer his Thai wife (they have a Thai / Oz dual citizen baby) from a three month tourist visa to 801 visa whist she was in Oz. A bridging visa was granted within 24 hours of the application, no work permitted & 801 was issued after 13 months. If I recall correctly she would have had to apply for another bridging visa, prior to departure, if she wanted to exit & return to Oz for a short period whilst waiting for the 801.

• Like 2

Just to add, last year I assisted a Thai / Oz citizen to transfer his Thai wife (they have a Thai / Oz dual citizen baby) from a three month tourist visa to 801 visa whist she was in Oz. A bridging visa was granted within 24 hours of the application, no work permitted & 801 was issued after 13 months. If I recall correctly she would have had to apply for another bridging visa, prior to departure, if she wanted to exit & return to Oz for a short period whilst waiting for the 801.

Good info simple1, Starky might be suitable for you given your situation.

I am in the process now; you have to lodge with VFS first, they collect the paperwork and then forward to Immigration.

Best have it all prepared, otherwise they charge you for each extra lodgement; however, once it is in Immigration's hands, any final bits can be posted direct to them (in Bangkok)

You biggest challenge is the 888 - the stat dec that other people have to fill in, giving an account of how they see your relationship and it surviving, and supply a copy of their passport, and if its in another language, it has to be translated into English and a Notary Public has to witness (equivalent to JP in OZ)

Where in Thailand are you?

How things change

I know and I think its doubled in the last couple of years near on 7 grand, someone is killing the pig on that one. I also know, even though it seems to be a rare occasion there is no guarantee you will even get the bloody thing.

Mate i'm hearing ya and that is my plan, to stay in Thailand between jobs but if things really dry up there is a chance I would have to head back. For me it really is a last resort. I am a Sydney boy myself and though I have many friends and family there my life is in Thailand now and I don't really want to live back in Oz unless situations force me there. I think my missus would really struggle in Sydney, she's got no mongrel in her and as you know Sydney can be a pretty tough town. Also, she is ultra conservative traditional Thai. She would be like a fish out of water in Sydney and I think totally lost without her family unit. We have talked at length about it and though she insists she would come with me I don't wish to force her to live somewhere where I know she probably wouldn't be happy. Reading another post what would be worse would be paying the 7 grand then not staying in Oz and her losing the visa or not being able to apply for residency but this is a chance I may have to take. Thanks for your help mate. Cheers.

Immigration treat Australian citizens, with foreign partners like criminals, asking for exuberant fees.. I applies for my wife on a family visa, first attempt denied, reason given, risk of not leaving, which was bullshit, my wife does not want to live anywhere else but Thailand.... Second accepted, tho a bond of 8 tho was needed..

If i could financial wise, i would be living in Thailand.......

Yeah I have heard some horror stories but I was under the assumption that generally the problem with those trying to bring girls back on holiday visas. I didn't think they would be too hard on a married couple on the contrary from most accounts I have been told that the staff at the embassy in Bangkok are really helpful and if you are straight up with them there aren't too many hassles.

I am in the process now; you have to lodge with VFS first, they collect the paperwork and then forward to Immigration.

Best have it all prepared, otherwise they charge you for each extra lodgement; however, once it is in Immigration's hands, any final bits can be posted direct to them (in Bangkok)

You biggest challenge is the 888 - the stat dec that other people have to fill in, giving an account of how they see your relationship and it surviving, and supply a copy of their passport, and if its in another language, it has to be translated into English and a Notary Public has to witness (equivalent to JP in OZ)

Where in Thailand are you?

Mate im up in Udon thumbsup.gif

My de facto /partner / wife has just arrived in Oz after a stressful 11 month wait to see if the 809 visa was granted. The thing is , after you have lodged it you may not hear anything from them at all unless they need more information. This is the stressful part but you just need to hang in.

The other thing to consider is wether the kids would be better off in Oz getting an Aussie education. My opinion is yes and that is one of the very main reasons where are in Australia. After they have completed their education you have set them up and they can then decide for themselves wether they should be in Thailand or Oz or some place else. An Australian education , for all its faults, is still far superior ,in my opinion , to what is available in Thailand unless you have a lot of money to play with..

• Like 2

I am in complete sympathy for all the brave souls undertaking this route to visa given how difficult it seems;

I appreciate the hyperlinks provided earlier on the topic thanks mr simple1

My situation- I am Australian, married to a Thai and we have a 6month old child-we would like

to bring our daughter to Aus to be with my extended family in Adelaide and to educate our girl, but of course to regularly come back to Thailand to keep the cultural connection intact.

Here are just some of the so many questions I would like help on

1. Should I have my child made an Aus citizen and get her an Aus passport first? (She has a Thai passport in the pipeline).

2. Should I apply for a 600 visa-ie a vistor/tourist visa for them or should I go straight for the partner visa? We want to be in Aus around October

3. If I go for the partner visa first, can we still get a visa for her to come and live with me in aus albeit for a temporary 12 months?

4.What is the usual waiting time for them to be granted a visa to allow them into Australia?

5. Can I apply for the partner visa from Australia?

6.Is October this year a realistic goal? (I live up country in the NE and access to BKK is limited)

7.What are the benefits of using an agent-or arent there any?

I would be grateful for any informed and experienced advice

thankyou everyone

• Like 1

I am in complete sympathy for all the brave souls undertaking this route to visa given how difficult it seems;

My situation- I am Australian, married to a Thai and we have a 6month old child-we would like

to bring our daughter to Aus to be with my extended family in Adelaide and to educate our girl, but of course to regularly come back to Thailand to keep the cultural connection intact.

1. Should I have my child made an Aus citizen and get her an Aus passport first? (She has a Thai passport in the pipeline).

2. Should I apply for a 600 visa-ie a vistor/tourist visa for them or should I go straight for the partner visa? We want to be in Aus around October

3. If I go for the partner visa first, can we still get a visa for her to come and live with me in aus albeit for a temporary 12 months?

4.What is the usual waiting time for them to be granted a visa to allow them into Australia?

6.Is October this year a realistic goal? (I live up country in the NE and access to BKK is limited)

thankyou everyone

agents are just a further complication (which you have to pay for) ... I started this process about a year ago and was fortunate enough to talk with a Lady who had worked in Immigration (in Australia) for eleven years; she confided that they change the forms and rules regularly, so nobody has the 'experience' ... all documentation has to go to VFS first, and when they compile it, on-send it to immigration .... its best you have everything done, as each time you add stuff, they charge a fee

You must be up Ubon way ...

thankyou everyone

You can apply for baby’s Oz passport anytime, may as well do so now.

1. Should I apply for a 600 visa-ie a vistor/tourist visa for them or should I go straight for the partner visa? We want to be in Aus around October

I believe the average processing time for spouse visa is around 9 – 13 months, so no way would you get a decision within three months. If I was in your position I would apply for a three month tourist visa now and convert, via a bridging visa in Oz at least one month prior to scheduled departure. Note for a tourist visa she would have to provide a satisfactory reason for her to return to Thailand. If the tourist visa application is declined, she would still be able to apply for a spouse visa.

1. If I go for the partner visa first, can we still get a visa for her to come and live with me in aus albeit for a temporary 12 months?

See above.

See above

1. Can I apply for the partner visa from Australia?

See above

1. Is October this year a realistic goal? (I live up country in the NE and access to BKK is limited)

For a partner visa? No

1. What are the benefits of using an agent-or arent there any?

Oz government encourages people to apply without assistance of an agent. However, if you decide to do so, ensure the agent is registered

NB: If wife is granted a tourist visa ensure you obtain the Thai Police clearance before travelling to Oz, as it can be a hassle to obtain from Oz. Bring with you baby’s Thai vaccination documentation. Any Thai language doco such as birth & marriage certificates can be translated in Oz or if you prefer via an agency acceptable to the Oz BKK Embassy. Remember to obtain medical insurance for your wife prior to departure, as initially she will not be covered by Medicare.

Hope the above assists, but with any advice rec’d via the Web, cross check

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Bridges are granted once the paperwork is received. Nothing complicated about them.

thankyou everyone

agents are just a further complication (which you have to pay for) ... I started this process about a year ago and was fortunate enough to talk with a Lady who had worked in Immigration (in Australia) for eleven years; she confided that they change the forms and rules regularly, so nobody has the 'experience' ... all documentation has to go to VFS first, and when they compile it, on-send it to immigration .... its best you have everything done, as each time you add stuff, they charge a fee

I disagree on the Agents part, we used an agent and my wife in 5 months got a Permanent resident visa straight off, no interim visa.

thankyou everyone

I disagree on the Agents part, we used an agent and my wife in 5 months got a Permanent resident visa straight off, no interim visa.

I've never heard of anyone going straight to permanent before. What's the deal with that?

Temporary or permanent seems to be almost the same anyway. I can't think of any difference.

Anyway I'm not sure the agent played much in getting her to permanent in 5 months. I got a partner visa through myself in under 1 month.

thankyou everyone

Getting oz citezenship and passport for your daughter is pretty easy to do in bangkok,done it twice with both daughters, so you should do it.You have to remember that if your wife gets a tourist visa to come to oz she would more than likely have 8503 no further stay attached so she cannot apply for partner visa when she is in Australia.You should probably apply for a partner visa in Thailand and then apply for 12 month multi tourist visa so she she can at least be here for a while.No need for an agent,wife got her partner visa last year and it was all pretty straight forward.With all my dealings with the oz embassy in Bangkok ie: 2 daughters citezenships and passports and partner visa for wife i have found them pleasant to deal with.
  • Like 1

thankyou everyone

I've never heard of anyone going straight to permanent before. What's the deal with that?

Temporary or permanent seems to be almost the same anyway. I can't think of any difference.

Anyway I'm not sure the agent played much in getting her to permanent in 5 months. I got a partner visa through myself in under 1 month.

Yes it does happens. It is based on the strength of your relationship and other factors. Temporary Visa is for 2 years, by which a further assessment is made before granting permanent visa which last 5 years.

• Like 1

thankyou everyone

Yes it does happens. It is based on the strength of your relationship and other factors. Temporary Visa is for 2 years, by which a further assessment is made before granting permanent visa which last 5 years.

Ahh ok it's a 5 year permanent visa as opposed to the standard 2 year permanent.

thankyou everyone

Ahh ok it's a 5 year permanent visa as opposed to the standard 2 year permanent.

the 2 year is not permanent it is an interim visa, the 5 year is the only one that is permanent. once the interim is near expiry you are assessed again as to whether you are entitled to permanent residency visa.

• Like 1

thankyou everyone

the 2 year is not permanent it is an interim visa, the 5 year is the only one that is permanent. once the interim is near expiry you are assessed again as to whether you are entitled to permanent residency visa.

Already been there done that. Was a 2 year permanent visa. You can also apply for full citizenship at any stage, so long as she's been in Australia for a total of 48 months, including on tourist visas.

• Like 1