Soldiers ‘Politely’ Stalk Pheu Thai Politician

Lite Beer

Soldiers ‘Politely’ Stalk Pheu Thai Politician

By Khaosod Eng.

14395466071439548793l.jpg

Former Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muengsuk speaks to reporters in July about his petition to get a year-old travel ban lifted. Photo: Matichon TV

BANGKOK — A pair of soldiers shadowing a former politician who filed a lawsuit against the military government were only doing so to have a polite conversation with him, a government spokesman explained yesterday.

Responding to former Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muengsuk’s complaints that two soldiers came to his home Wednesday night to intimidate him, junta spokesman Winthai Suvaree told reporters yesterday the soldiers were merely making conversation with Wattana and ensuring he was safe.

“The officers were following guidelines to provide orderliness in a polite and respectful manner, as have been practised in the past,” Col. Winthai said at a news conference. “It was an effort to engage in conversation, exchange opinions and coordinate information.”

Earlier Thursday, Wattana accused authorities of trying to intimidate him over a lawsuit he filed Monday in the Upper Administrative Court seeking the repeal of a travel ban imposed by the regime on more than 100 people, mostly members of the former ruling Pheu Thai Party.

Wattana said the two soldiers came to his Bangkok home where they took photographs and grilled him about his daily activities. He said soldiers also visited his family home in Prachinburi province.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1439546607

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-14

Under this junta you will have every right to have no rights.

These emerging reports of intimidation are becoming very troubling. I truly believe the people are being lulled into a false sense of security and that the grip is tightening, this can no longer be denied. What was that about the frog in the slowly boiling water?

If this is in any way true it displays the arrogance of the junta in thinking they can come out with any BS and it will be believed.

If the soldiers were there to have a polite chat then why didn't they and as Idiablo pointed out someone of rank would have been sent to ' chat ' as they would carry some authority. Beyond this following someone around in this fashion isn't even surveillance as the object of such is usually not to be seen but making sure someone knows you are there is making a point and it's intimidation.

If this is in any way true it displays the arrogance of the junta in thinking they can come out with any BS and it will be believed.

If the soldiers were there to have a polite chat then why didn't they and as Idiablo pointed out someone of rank would have been sent to ' chat ' as they would carry some authority. Beyond this following someone around in this fashion isn't even surveillance as the object of such is usually not to be seen but making sure someone knows you are there is making a point and it's intimidation.

There's a clique of farangs here who believe every word the junta say mate, so I'd expect there to be the odd gullible Thai too!!! :D

There's a clique of farangs here who believe every word the junta say mate, so I'd expect there to be the odd gullible Thai too!!! biggrin.png

Ok can you tell me the rank of the soldiers then, i thought it was a general description of army. Ranks are things like private, general ect.

Because now its just him saying he is intimidated (and I doubt it), and I doubt a rich and connected man like him is intimidated.

So far I see no proof of him being intimidated only of the visit, also no proof of low rank privates.

I would be intimidated by soldiers or police visiting my house, but if i was connected with money then surely not.. a nuisance and a good chance to discredit the junta no more no less.

Earlier Thursday, Wattana accused authorities of trying to intimidate him over a lawsuit he filed Monday in the Upper Administrative Court seeking the repeal of a travel ban imposed by the regime on more than 100 people, mostly members of the former ruling Pheu Thai Party.

The government is wrong, they should let them leave, maybe think twice about letting them come back though.

There's a clique of farangs here who believe every word the junta say mate, so I'd expect there to be the odd gullible Thai too!!! biggrin.png

Ok can you tell me the rank of the soldiers then, i thought it was a general description of army. Ranks are things like private, general ect.

Because now its just him saying he is intimidated (and I doubt it), and I doubt a rich and connected man like him is intimidated.

So far I see no proof of him being intimidated only of the visit, also no proof of low rank privates.

I would be intimidated by soldiers or police visiting my house, but if i was connected with money then surely not.. a nuisance and a good chance to discredit the junta no more no less.

Thick as a block if you dont acknowledge this is intimidation by the junta

I get intimidated by police and military, but someone as powerful and connected like this guy.. afraid for the military after a few questions. I highly doubt it, a nuisance at most and for intimidation there needs to be fear. This guy just uses it for PR.

I get intimidated by police and military, but someone as powerful and connected like this guy.. afraid for the military after a few questions. I highly doubt it, a nuisance at most and for intimidation there needs to be fear. This guy just uses it for PR.

However well this guy may be connected, and not have to feel intimidated, is all well and beside the point. Junta fanboys will no doubt feel that having armed soldiers following people around and visiting their houses is all for the good of the people. Just like when they arrested 14 students due to their connections to certain political groups. "We'll trace their cell phone calls"! Oh yeah, and how did that go? I don't remember this yielding any conclusive connections to anyone, and I'm sure the Junta would have been keen to expose anything they found. Thats what I call intimidation and squashing of rights, just as this here situation is as well.

Before anyone tries to label me in their monochrome system, I am not a Thaksin supporter either so think again!

However well this guy may be connected, and not have to feel intimidated, is all well and beside the point. Junta fanboys will no doubt feel that having armed soldiers following people around and visiting their houses is all for the good of the people. Just like when they arrested 14 students due to their connections to certain political groups. "We'll trace their cell phone calls"! Oh yeah, and how did that go? I don't remember this yielding any conclusive connections to anyone, and I'm sure the Junta would have been keen to expose anything they found. Thats what I call intimidation and squashing of rights, just as this here situation is as well.

Before anyone tries to label me in their monochrome system, I am not a Thaksin supporter either so think again!

It is not besides the point if you call it intimidation, for that there has to be fear. That this is a nuisance and breach of privacy I agree, I just don't agree its intimidation. I think the guy might even be happy, as its good PR for him and bad for the junta. I think he is using it to his advantage and its certainly is not intimidation. A nuisance YES, breach of privacy Yes. Not a good thing just not intimidation.

It is for the Thaivisa Thought Police to decide whether or not you are a supporter of Thaksin, not you...?

As long as they don't use the rat helmet I'm good.

I hear waterboarding isn't fun either, wonder if the Americans have taught the Thais that trick, leaves no mark too hard to prove well perfected by the democratic country called the USA.

"Responding to former Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muengsuk’s complaints that two soldiers came to his home Wednesday night to intimidate him, junta spokesman Winthai Suvaree told reporters yesterday the soldiers were merely making conversation with Wattana and ensuring he was safe."

Anyone who isn't bothered by the above statement from the junta needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

I hear waterboarding isn't fun either, wonder if the Americans have taught the Thais that trick, leaves no mark too hard to prove well perfected by the democratic country called the USA.

The states undoubtedly have their own issues, and some deep thinking to do, but what has the states got to do with this thread?

Its not rumours is it , they have admitted visiting his home. Does not matter what was said having people from the army turning up at your house to talk to you , would be intimidating in itself

Only, ..... If you have something to hide.. Why did he not record the meeting.. I record all meetings. Its normal for someone like this ex-MP to do so.! PTP.... lies and more lies.. not one honest MP amongst them... bah.gif

The states undoubtedly have their own issues, and some deep thinking to do, but what has the states got to do with this thread?

None, just like your rat helmet remark.. your implying something that has no bearing on this topic.

None, just like your rat helmet remark.. your implying something that has no bearing on this topic.

I was making a comical reply to Baboon's comment about the thought police, it was a reference to 1984, making light of the idea that TV members might do this to me.

I was making a comical reply to Baboon's comment about the thought police, it was a reference to 1984, making light of the idea that TV members might do this to me.

My mistake, i was thinking you implied torture of politicians in Thailand by the junta. My apologies

My mistake, i was thinking you implied torture of politicians in Thailand by the junta. My apologies

No worries dude :)

Its not rumours is it , they have admitted visiting his home. Does not matter what was said having people from the army turning up at your house to talk to you , would be intimidating in itself

Only, ..... If you have something to hide.. Why did he not record the meeting.. I record all meetings. Its normal for someone like this ex-MP to do so.! PTP.... lies and more lies.. not one honest MP amongst them... bah.gif

"Only, ..... If you have something to hide."

Yes, because rule of law is what this country is known for, right?? You record all meetings, do you? So any time someone knocks on your door you pull out a recording device?

​Are you paranoid, delusional or just a troll??

It is not besides the point if you call it intimidation, for that there has to be fear. That this is a nuisance and breach of privacy I agree, I just don't agree its intimidation. I think the guy might even be happy, as its good PR for him and bad for the junta. I think he is using it to his advantage and its certainly is not intimidation. A nuisance YES, breach of privacy Yes. Not a good thing just not intimidation.

You make the fatal mistake of basing your own interpretation of what it means to be intimidated. Intimidation doesn't need to involve fear,intimidated to me means uncertain outcomes of a situation you are placed in unnecessary against your will.

If the Cops kept stopping you at home for no apparent reason or without just cause and appeared randomly it's harassment and intimidation.

As for the rank of these soldiers, it matters not, as the Army already admitted they were there to "have a chat with him" they were under orders to do it, have a friendly chat can take place over a phone call.

You also seem to forget that this has been happening since he applied to travel overseas, and was rejected.