Raspberry Pi

KVJ

Just want to pick the brains trust here about this. I have an 8 year old son who I would like to get interested in programming and I'm wondering if the Raspberry Pi would be the way to go. Definitely don't want to have another passive toy to play with but something he can started on the basics of progamming. I know next to nothing about programming myself but am quite happy to learn along with him. Is this the right device for him? I'm not getting much info out of all the youtube stuff. Seems to be something that adult computer hobbyists are getting into rather than kids??

Appreciate any thoughts.

Given that the original intent of the Raspberry Pi was to bring affordable programming platform to less fortunate people (kids) and that it is heavily slanted towards programming I'd say it would be an excellent starter for your son. If both of you are new to this, though, you should stick to the more mainstream operating system and mainstream programming languages. You will find over time that Linux is a total pain in the a$$ due to the many competing versions that exist which are sort of, but not exactly, compatible with each other. If Linux had ever gotten it's act together we would all be thumbing our noses at Microsoft but alas it has remained a hobbyist platform for the most part although there are some exceptions wherein good, solid application programs have come from the open source community.
Notice also that the cost of getting into this is really minimal so if it doesn't work out for you then your loss is only a few bucks. You only have to pay for the Raspberry Pi which was around 30 bucks when I got mine, a power supply which is any 1amp wall wart, about 5 bucks at any computer/cell store, and a memory card of at least 8 gigs, around 8 bucks. You have a computer now, so only need to download a program called 'Putty' and log in remotely to the Pi via your main computer(assuming you are on Windows) which avoids the need to buy a display/keyboard/mouse until you decide if the Pi will be a viable learing tool and worth spending extra bucks on.
I'd suggest taking a look at Linux User, which is a magazine based in the UK (I think) as they seem to be the most active Raspberry Pi fanboys at present.
For a low cost platform that is heavily slanted to teaching computers/programming to kids there probably isn't a better one available.
Mine is in a box in a cupboard as I just couldn't be bothered to devote the time needed to get it to do what I wanted- which was act as a recipe displayer in the kitchen. It worked fine for that, as connected to the LAN in the house, but I also wanted sound and that is the Pi's biggest failing so I gave up on it and got some Intel NUC's from InvadeIT that are also very low power consumption and far easier and more powerful, albeit a bit more expensive.

Good luck. If you want any more info feel free to contact me.

I can't think of anything better to start your kid on, other than a Commodore64 :P

They wont get distracted by anything - because it only does what you make it do. Todays' consumer OS's have killed off the need for people to learn how computers work - the Pi is an awesome way to learn "the old school way" but without having to compromise on capabilities.

Find 'several' some affordable projects for the Pi that your son would like to accomplish.

Start easy and work your way through them.

Just remember, the Pi can be a full blown 'computer' and a 'controller' to sense and manipulate external devices

Some kids are inspired by what can happen on a screen, while others are inspired and motivated by a Pi manipulating the real world.

The 'process' of accomplishing each project can teach some very valuable life skills.

Kids, Code and Comp Sci Magazine | by TIM SLAVIN | NOVEMBER 2013 ISSUE

OpenSource | by Luis Ibanez | Posted 28 Nov 2014

While the Pi can be removed and reused from most 'projects', you may find your son wants to keep some around so you may need to purchase more Pi kits. Luckily they're not that expensive.

Find 'several' some affordable projects for the Pi that your son would like to accomplish.

Start easy and work your way through them.

Just remember, the Pi can be a full blown 'computer' and a 'controller' to sense and manipulate external devices

Some kids are inspired by what can happen on a screen, while others are inspired and motivated by a Pi manipulating the real world.

The 'process' of accomplishing each project can teach some very valuable life skills.

Kids, Code and Comp Sci Magazine | by TIM SLAVIN | NOVEMBER 2013 ISSUE

OpenSource | by Luis Ibanez | Posted 28 Nov 2014

While the Pi can be removed and reused from most 'projects', you may find your son wants to keep some around so you may need to purchase more Pi kits. Luckily they're not that expensive.

Or at least, a few SD cards so he can swap them out.

Excellent replies here guys. Thanks heaps. I think we'll give it a whirl. Like one commentator said it doesn't cost a whole lot so if it doesn't work out its no big deal.

What's the best way to get a hold of one of these in Thailand via internet order? I looked on some old threads and seems there is a few shady dealers around?

I can't think of anything better to start your kid on, other than a Commodore64 tongue.png

They wont get distracted by anything - because it only does what you make it do. Todays' consumer OS's have killed off the need for people to learn how computers work - the Pi is an awesome way to learn "the old school way" but without having to compromise on capabilities.

Loose lips sinks ships

Hack-a-Day | by Al Williams | August 16, 2015
[lactobacillusprime] had a non-working Commodore C16 and too many Raspberry Pi computers, so he decided to bring the C16 back to life by emulating it on the Pi. At the heart of the project is the Pi, along with a small board that converts the old style Commodore keyboards (and joysticks) to a USB port.
Don't tell me the Internet isn't listening in on our conversations

I can't think of anything better to start your kid on, other than a Commodore64 tongue.png

Loose lips sinks ships

Hack-a-Day | by Al Williams | August 16, 2015
[lactobacillusprime] had a non-working Commodore C16 and too many Raspberry Pi computers, so he decided to bring the C16 back to life by emulating it on the Pi. At the heart of the project is the Pi, along with a small board that converts the old style Commodore keyboards (and joysticks) to a USB port.
Don't tell me the Internet isn't listening in on our conversations

Hehehe, I have seen C64's gutted and retrofitted with Pi innards. Complete sacrilege to me.

Jack Tramiel's spirit is undoubtedly lurking, trying to figure out how to file a lawsuit against Raspberry from wherever in hell he is. He was an amazing visionary but an impossible man to work with...paranoid micro-manager doesn't even come close. I got to meet him but fortunately didn't work for him. My friend who did emerged after 2 years like a zombie from a train wreck. If his people skills had matched his capacity for innovative thinking, he could have outdone both Gates and Jobs.

Thanks for that link. I am checking to see if they will deliver to my door.

Did you get the PI 2?

Anyone know where I can buy a Rasberry PI 2 (with accessories in a package kit)..in Chiang Mai?

I would like to use it for my Tahr Puppy (Linux), which runs on my flash drive. Absolutely no need for anything else, when I travel....as 99 percent of what I use a computer for is online. I have gone through 4 expensive laptops, in the past six years...and now just am looking for the lowest price.

As far as Tahr Puppy...it boots in ram...and saves/updates to a small flash thumb drive for the next boot. I run opera and firefox...and the software/opsys is free. Has VLC, PDF editiors, Pic Viewer/editors and music players. The Puppy runs whatever I need.

For the posters son....download AutoIT..for windows. He can learn programming with that. I can make small programs that simplify my windows 7 on my laptop. (there are tons of free stuff on their forum to download). Working with it is a pleasure, and there is a fun forum group. Very easy to program with....and addictive.

For the posters son....download AutoIT..for windows. He can learn programming with that. I can make small programs that simplify my windows 7 on my laptop. (there are tons of free stuff on their forum to download). Working with it is a pleasure, and there is a fun forum group. Very easy to program with....and addictive.

Excellent. Thanks for that. Trying to gather as many resources as I can to throw at him and see what sticks. Hopefully something will. Want to get him off that damn tablet!

Excellent. Thanks for that. Trying to gather as many resources as I can to throw at him and see what sticks. Hopefully something will. Want to get him off that damn tablet!

If he's into games, so him some retropie videos smile.png

Archived