Harassment bullying tactics Sadao border post

It is well know that the Sadao crossing it the worst there is. Best to use Pedang Baser.

Were you trying to do a border hop for a new visa exempt entry after having one already. Sadao tells people they have to stay overnight and don't allow quick turn arounds.

• Like 1

It is well know that the Sadao crossing it the worst there is. Best to use Pedang Baser.

Were you trying to do a border hop for a new visa exempt entry after having one already. Sadao tells people they have to stay overnight and don't allow quick turn arounds.

I last used that crossing about 11 months ago and experienced no difficulty using a re-entry permit on my return from Malaysia.

Whilst I have read posts relating to those who have had problems it is, perhaps, worth remembering that 100's use that crossing every day.

Here we are only able to consider one side of any reported problem.

• Like 1

I last used that crossing about 11 months ago and experienced no difficulty using a re-entry permit on my return from Malaysia.

Whilst I have read posts relating to those who have had problems it is, perhaps, worth remembering that 100's use that crossing every day.

You were using a type of entry that did not made you gain any new time in Thailand. Which is different from the OP case.

There are hundreds of similar reports, it is know for a fact, you are even told by the moderator, but there you are disbelieving and justifying abuse.

Making stuff up again?

Which part of my post seeks to justify abuse or indicate disbelief?

As I indicated hundreds of people use that crossing every day without any problem.

Where are these "hundreds" of reports to be found.?

Do these reports feature daily/weekly /monthly or less frequently here on TV?

• Like 1

Making stuff up again?

As I indicated hundreds of people use that crossing every day without any problem.

Not even worth to reply to you in detail. Just check how people rates our different stances on the matter.

Just be wary of not crossing the line and cause your new nick to become 'inactive' as it happened to the old one.

As nowretired said I used to use Sadao crossing very often and have never had a problem at all. I have read many reports of people having trouble there but that doesn't reflect on my own experience. The very same goes for immigration on Samui. I have never once had any issues with any of the officers there but again have read lots of reports of people being hassled for money. I can only conclude that it boils down to the person and their attitude and nothing to do with the particular crossing or office

• Like 2

Sorry .. I hear stories like this all the time, I don't think this is a one-off ..

If you don't enclose 200B in your passport then every passenger who enters by van through Sadao, is asked to produce 20,000B .. If not in possession then this is detention is pretty standard.

We have a local forum in Songkhla province, some members reported being asked for 500B and they would be allowed to leave.

Just to point out, this is for all visa holders, usually B's as Penang is used by a lot of teachers and tourists, usually these guys have just picked up their new visas in the afternoon and get hit by Sadao immigration in the early evening.

• Like 1

Sorry .. I hear stories like this all the time, I don't think this is a one-off ..

If you don't enclose 200B in your passport then every passenger who enters by van through Sadao, is asked to produce 20,000B .. If not in possession then this is detention is pretty standard.

We have a local forum in Songkhla province, some members reported being asked for 500B and they would be allowed to leave.

Just to point out, this is for all visa holders, usually B's as Penang is used by a lot of teachers and tourists, usually these guys have just picked up their new visas in the afternoon and get hit by Sadao immigration in the early evening.

What efforts have been made to report this alleged corruption?

UJ, just to let you know, there have been reports of multi-O holders doing a loop at Padang being asked to stay out of Thailand for 24 hours. Not that it has ever been enforced, its just been "advised"

I entered Malaysia at Wang Prachan yesterday, i have never seen so many westerners in one place for a long time !! There is definitely no problem there. The overstay counter was way busy, so the IO's must be living pretty fat at the moment.

I rode into Malaysia, had some lunch and came back through Padang Bezar, no problems, but I did see three people getting questioned by a supervisor.

To who ?

111, Police, Governor, Military etc.

There are avenues for legitimate complaint to be made but most enjoy moaning rather than taking action.

I once lodged a complaint with the Governors Office about illegal charges being leveled by immigration. I will not claim that was my complaint which caused the problem to cease but cease it did.

• Like 1

You were using a type of entry that did not made you gain any new time in Thailand. Which is different from the OP case.

There are hundreds of similar reports, it is know for a fact, you are even told by the moderator, but there you are disbelieving and justifying abuse.

Well said. I have used this border crossing only once. It was the worst border crossing I've experienced by a mile, thanks to the resident gestapo.

To who ?

111, Police, Governor, Military etc.

There are avenues for legitimate complaint to be made but most enjoy moaning rather than taking action.

I once lodged a complaint with the Governors Office about illegal charges being leveled by immigration. I will not claim that was my complaint which caused the problem to cease but cease it did.

Great idea that .. I will pop down the local police station and file a quick report ..

I am truly surprised to hear these 'stories'. I have been using Sadao for 10 years ... never had a hiccup ... never been asked to 'sit down' .... never paid a bribe ... but then again I'm American working in Malaysia, married to a Thai lady, registered with yellow-card saying Chiang Khom is my "HOME" . . .

If you wanna stay as a guest in any foreign country, stop bending the rules in your favor ... that is, of course, unless you're one of the wealthy buggers who can buy any rule keeper off . . . clap2.gif

I think you've missed what this thread is about. Nobody is bending the rules, but at Sadao/Dannok there is corruption and abuse. As noted above, the type of entry you do (re-entry on extension of stay) does not get you more time every time, and is not the one used by those that need to border hops, or visa runs. because not everyone is married, older that 50, etc.

I for one was given a very small example some years ago.

So, the fact that you and few others (using re-entry permit) did not had problems does not change a situation that is evident by hundreds of other reports.

By the way, a yellow book is not needed for immigration purposes.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

I am truly surprised to hear these 'stories'. I have been using Sadao for 10 years ... never had a hiccup ... never been asked to 'sit down' .... never paid a bribe ... but then again I'm American working in Malaysia, married to a Thai lady, registered with yellow-card saying Chiang Khom is my "HOME" . . .

If you wanna stay as a guest in any foreign country, stop bending the rules in your favor ... that is, of course, unless you're one of the wealthy buggers who can buy any rule keeper off . . . clap2.gif

I think you've missed what this thread is about. Nobody is bending the rules, but at Sadao/Dannok there is corruption and abuse. As noted above, the type of entry you do (re-entry on extension of stay) does not get you more time every time, and is not the one used by those that need to border hops, or visa runs. because not everyone is married, older that 50, etc.

I for one was given a very small example some years ago.

So, the fact that you and few others (using re-entry permit) did not had problems does not change a situation that is evident by hundreds of other reports.

By the way, a yellow book is not needed for immigration purposes.

This isn't strictly true. Please don't paint the picture we ( western visitors ) haven't benefitted from the corruption.

It's a requisite to produce 20,000b on arrival - certain people didn't have 20,000b when the IO asked for it. The same old question was probably asked "can you help me?" and the reply was probably "sure, ... Im going to give your passport back, you walk away, put 200b in it and give back" Maybe I'm wrong, but what came first the chicken or the egg.

Now, dropping 200b ( and they have become a law unto themselves and ignoring the 20,000b ) doesn't cut it anymore, but yet people go to the border without funds and without question expect to bend the rules by dropping a bribe because they read it here, on Facebook or listened to the van driver who probably gets a tickle now and again.

I'm not trying to blame or defend anyone, but to point out, sometimes we ( as visitors ) just make a rod for our own back.

Sadao Immigration has been extorting for years they are professionals, the Filipino tax, the Malaysian stamping fee (2 ringgit per head, 24 heads on a coach, 480b per coach x how many coaches motor through every weekend, 100 or more ?? ), the tax-free fuel transits from Malaysia, not to mention a tickle for not asking their colleagues about a hundred detention camps in the mountains for a few Rohingyas

Edited by recom273

Understood Paz .... but the point I am making is that visa runs, especially on a continuum, already bend the rules ... As a courtesy and on this account, the Thais have been generous, almost to a fault. That fact that corruption exists, anywhere, is a given, so that doesn't hold water here.

I don't agree with you, for multiple reasons. I do not want to derail this thread so I'll give brief answers only on the quote above, which is wrong multiple times in just two lines.

1st, If Thailand was really not OK with what you call "bend the rules", they could simply abolish visa exempt, multi entry visa, this and that. If they don't do that (very easy when there is a got.t with exceptional powers), there must be a reason don't you think. So, try to understand instead that there is an established system in place related to the presence foreigners, that befits many, the entire country at the end.

2nd I do not see any generosity, or lack of it by "Thai people" when it come to immigration, which regulations and policies are decided by powers, elected or not, not the people.

Last, you openly condone and accept corruption. Fine if that is your stance to crime and injustice, but do not expect others, especially the ones that have been discriminated to sympathize.

Again I'll skip on the rest of what you wrote as it find pervaded with self-righteousness, despondent and judgeful attitude, reaching the bottom when charging with the worn cliche' of the "sex tourist".

Have a good evening.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Understood Paz .... but the point I am making is that visa runs, especially on a continuum, already bend the rules ... As a courtesy and on this account, the Thais have been generous, almost to a fault. That fact that corruption exists, anywhere, is a given, so that doesn't hold water here.

I don't agree with you, for multiple reasons. I do not want to derail this thread so I'll give you only brier answers only on the quote above, which is wrong multiple times in just two lines.

1st, If Thailand was really not OK with what you call "bend the rules", they could simply abolish visa exempt, multi entry visa, this and that. If they don't do that (very easy when there is a got.t with exceptional powers), there must be a reason don't you think. So, try to understand instead that there is an established system in place related to the presence foreigners, that befits many, the entire country at the end.

2nd I do not see any generosity, or lack of it by "Thai people" when it come to immigration, which regulations and policies are decided by powers, elected or not, not the people.

Last, you openly condone and accept corruption. Fine if that is your stance to crime and injustice, but do not expect others, especially the ones that have been discriminated to sympathize.

Again I'll skip on the rest of what you wrote as it find pervaded with self-righteousness, despondent and judgeful attitude, reaching the bottom when charging with the worn cliche' of the "sex tourist".

Have a good evening.

Thanks Paz,

We clearly do not agree ... no need to continue .... Enjoy

Making stuff up again?

Not even worth to reply to you in detail. Just check how people rates our different stances on the matter.

Just be wary of not crossing the line and cause your new nick to become 'inactive' as it happened to the old one.

As nowretired said I used to use Sadao crossing very often and have never had a problem at all. I have read many reports of people having trouble there but that doesn't reflect on my own experience. The very same goes for immigration on Samui. I have never once had any issues with any of the officers there but again have read lots of reports of people being hassled for money. I can only conclude that it boils down to the person and their attitude and nothing to do with the particular crossing or office

That's right, blame the victims.

No wonder there is no real sense of community among Westerners in Thailand with people like you around.

Next time you come across a dictionary, I suggest you look up the wod "loyalty".

• Like 1

Making stuff up again?

I find nothing abusive or incorrect in your post now retired. If all the paperwork was in order why was he treated as a tourist? Ho did he finally get his longer visa?

Too many questions need answering such as what visa was he trying to re-enter Thailand with?.

• Like 1

Ok Guys I have heard of corruption too. there is a government application that askes you to detail the service you rec

. I suggest you google it and dl in apple and /or playstore and make a complaint...simple

Ok Guys I have heard of corruption too. there is a government application that askes you to detail the service you rec

. I suggest you google it and dl in apple and /or playstore and make a complaint...simple

I find nothing abusive or incorrect in your post now retired. If all the paperwork was in order why was he treated as a tourist? Ho did he finally get his longer visa?

Too many questions need answering such as what visa was he trying to re-enter Thailand with?.

Doesn't matter what visa you have - it's a busy time, half-way through the first school term, a lot of teachers are returning with their B visa, Sadao requests them to produce 20K - why ? Just another restriction placed on guys earning peanuts.

60 day tourist visas - need to show 20k - Penang is pretty strict in visa issue, don't expect anymore than 3 visas from them in your passport. So no need for Sadao to bust balls on re-entry.

I read a story about a fillapina teacher going for an interview in Malaysia, and she was taken for questioning on return, and only released after payment of 500b. No reason given - just pure extortion.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1