Pheu Thai strongly opposes draft charter

Lite Beer

Pheu Thai strongly opposes draft charter

images-93-wpcf_728x413-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai party today issued a statement strongly criticised the draft constitution saying several significant clauses in the draft allow the military junta to remain in power, and reject popular sovereignty.

The party said the proposed national reconciliation government formed under draft will be weak and will lead the country to collapse and conflict again.

The move came after the constitutional drafting committee (CDC) scheduled to hold national referendum of the draft charter in September.

In the statement released today on the website of Pheu Thai party, its acting part leader Pol Lt Gen Viroj Pow-in said although the CDC has heeded recommendations of the party and of others in amending the draft constitution, but significant points remained intact, particularly clauses that allow the military junta to maintain its power and seemed to reject sovereignty of the people.

This could obstruct the path to democracy, and eventually could not resolve economic problems and improve the livelihood of the people.

Significantly reconciliation would never be achieved, and foreign investors would be scared away.

He affirmed two principles of democracy that must be upheld, that the draft constitution must accept the sovereignty of the people and must not allow those power that be to maintain power, and that it must not persecute anyone or prevent any certain political party to return to return back to democratic rule.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pheu-thai-strongly-opposes-draft-charter

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-15

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that does not surprise me at all, their days of thieving from the Thai people is coming to an end one way or another

Yes, it's now back to the "old" snouts in the trough - and that's much better of coursecrazy.gif .

Edited by MZurf

"the draft constitution must accept the sovereignty of the people"

The PTP never really have had a grasp of those principles of democracy (yes, yes yingluck was elected)

A trip down PTP memory lane if I may.

"When you vote for us you will get a conference centre" and "The protestors are garbage and will be dealt with if they protest" and my favourite being the amnesty bill passing 310 - 0 when the majority of Thai citizens didn't want it. So much for the will of the people being echoes in parliament. Sovereignty of the people when it suits them.

As for the charter I look forward to the people deciding whether they want it or not through a referendum and no doubt just like the 2007 constitution that was voted in by the people the UDD will have wonderful excuses to disrespect the majorities wishes if the vote goes against their agenda.

Edited by djjamie

If you tell them the sky is blue, they will not agree. You tell them that oranges are orange, they will not agree. Why waste time with these yahoos?

Yep, you're right. I really shouldn't waste my time answering posts by djjamie et al but can't resist when their drivel becomes too outlandish.

As usual just a media sound bite and no substance. Who knows if the Pheu Thai had anything substantive to say or not? I suspect they don't have any suggestions other than to let them write the new charter themselves. It's a shame.

Ah yes, another police Lt Gen who no doubt knows how to obstruct democracy just like all the other crooked ex-cops that the party has had. He wasn't very specific which leads one to ask if he even read the new constitution or was just following instructions from an 'influential figure'. wink.png

If you tell them the sky is blue, they will not agree. You tell them that oranges are orange, they will not agree. Why waste time with these yahoos?

Yep, you're right. I really shouldn't waste my time answering posts by djjamie et al but can't resist when their drivel becomes too outlandish.

Well actually you are not "answering" posts by djjamie or anybody else because nobody ever asks you anything. You are just attacking their comments. thumbsup.gif

Well actually you are not "answering" posts by djjamie or anybody else because nobody ever asks you anything. You are just attacking their comments. thumbsup.gif

Question: Is MZurf a recent new graduate? Major being talk negative.

Wow! SNAP! Now you have really hurt my feelings!

Question: Is MZurf a recent new graduate? Major being talk negative.

His avatar suits his writing style ! biggrin.png

When a constitution gives mandate to some "Crisis Committee" to overrule an elected government is supposed times of crisis......and regarless of who determines a "crisis".....then it's simply wrong.....I wish I could read this new inclusion......!

The CDC have so obviously been directed in their course of writing this mega document..........it seems, and again not being able to read the document, that it's an un-elaborate excercise in keeping the military and their elite comrades, governing.

clauses that allow the military junta to maintain its power and seemed to reject sovereignty of the people.

And that is the important bit................ of course what most read is like the usual bunch of nodding dogs.... Red baaaad yellow goood. No its just BAD for people, end of.

Try to look at the bigger picture for a change...the real story is the rights and freedoms being taken away and military meddling written IN to the charter thats important not the party pointing it out ....

Ok you can go back to your "but Thaksin" distraction now.coffee1.gif

Edited by englishoak

MRDA

Oh, don't you have a fully functioning keyboard? Here, let me help you;

MIERDA

To further your education, it is a standard internet acronym for Mandy Rice Davies Applies. Now you can try to work out what it means.

Aren't you going to ask where Pol Lt Gen Viroj Pow-in got his millions from?

The new Charter is a fascinating document. I have read the draft version released in English language translation back in April. I don't think it has changed much since then, although the recent addition of a "Crisis Committee" was notable.

There is much to criticize, but I will focus on three main points:

1) The role and accountability of the armed forces is handled in such a brief fashion as to suggest they are a minor player in conduct of the nation. The military will remain as an essentially independent organization; certainly not under control of the elected government.

2) The process by which parties and candidates will be vetted is a recipe for political conflict. Especially for the first run through the process, there will be no candidate able to stand for the House, and no party permitted to field candidates unless approved by appointees of the current Junta. Where impeachment did not neuter the opposition, the Charter provisions may do the job.

3) The Charter contains so much extra law, some of it in excruciating detail. Changing any of that law will require a Constitutional amendment, which is difficult in theory, and almost never supported by the Judiciary. If the Charter is to survive, it can't contain a lot of law that will require changes over time. As it is, the Charter will be a cause of conflict in the future, even if it is accepted today.

Disclaimer: I don't care about Pheu Thai or any other political party in Thailand. I don't like most politicians. I consider them a necessary evil.

I don't know why you guys pick sides. All political parties in Thailand and for that matter the rest of the world are not in it for the people bit for their own personal gains, it's just quite a bit more in Thailand than most countries.

MRDA

MIERDA

To further your education, it is a standard internet acronym for Mandy Rice Davies Applies. Now you can try to work out what it means.

Thanks for the lesson - who knew!

FYI I am questioning the wealth of ALL of these guys, regardless of political affiliation. You see, I'm not a cheerleader but rather like more/most/a majority of the TV members who are able to see the hidiousness of the previous administrations, but that this in NO WAY justifies the coup.

That's where you cheerleaders fail spectacularly.

One question for you; are you going to ask where the PM got his millions from?

these people gone crazy because they can't bring there beloved master back

And note there media release comes five minutes after their meeting with their paymaster in Norway.

So one guess where the comments in their media release really came from.

Now why does his latest comments remind me of yinglucks claims that she had to stay at the helm to protect democracy.

MRDA

MIERDA

Thanks for the lesson - who knew!

FYI I am questioning the wealth of ALL of these guys, regardless of political affiliation. You see, I'm not a cheerleader but rather like more/most/a majority of the TV members who are able to see the hidiousness of the previous administrations, but that this in NO WAY justifies the coup.

That's where you cheerleaders fail spectacularly.

One question for you; are you going to ask where the PM got his millions from?

Ignore.