I have cancer - a personal perspective

fang37

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massive doses of carrot juice each day have been proven to assist. Need to be consistant and by the 4th month effects will show.

Cancer generally survives when the body is in acidosis state. You need to make sure your PH levels are balanced by the food and water you consume.

Its a consistant battle to keep the body ph in tune.

I had prostate-cancer surgery in May of this year. Had it via DaVinci prostatectomy. My two follow-ups, so far, at 6 and twelve weeks show no discernible PSA readings. Both have been under 0.1 readings. Prior to surgery, the last test showed 24. So, it is a large change. It was termed a robust cancer, as they went from a 3.4 on tests to a 9, a 12, a 15 and up tp 24, all in 18 months. I only suffer now from an off and on infection that gave me epididymitis and enlarged the testicles to golf-ball size and ping-pong ball size. It was painful, but they gave good IV meds while in the hospital and good tabs to take home. La-la land was occupied for a spell while things got back to normal. I now take no pain meds and suffer from a bit of incontinence, wearing pads to keep from wet pants. I do most all daily activities with not much problems. Help is out there.

My surgeon is almost sure this prostate-cancer is related to my exposure to Agent Orange during my Vietnam years. I also have ischemic heart-disease and eczema on my legs. All of these are listed as a result of Agent Orange exposure. But, if I had not been in SE Asia, I would not have met and married my Thai wife of 42 years.

My late father suffered health problems for the last 14 years of his life. Ulcerated colitis, deceased heart, low blood pressure, and more. He was on medication, couldn't eat or drink what he wanted. He had been a heavy smoker since about 13 and throughout military service. Stopped for many years and then started again as the nicotine actually helps with the colitis. Unknown to us his doctors told him he would need higher medication, would be able to do less and be less active as a result; or he could come off some medication, reduce the others and have several months of a higher quality of life. He chose the latter but didn't tell us. He spent a few months eating and drinking what he wanted, doing as much as he could and eventually died of a massive heart attack whilst working in his beloved garden. My next door neighbor was a doctor at the local infirmary and checked his records which is how we found out.

He made the call and new the consequences, He had tried alternative therapies before, and the herbalists made him really worse.

My mum lived to 90. But the last 10-12 years she suffered from senile dementia and didn't even know who I was, Her quality of life in her last years was very much in contrast to my father's.

People should be free to make choices, and quality as well as quantity of life is important.

Massive doses of carrot juice each day have been proven to assist. Need to be consistant and by the 4th month effects will show.

Cancer generally survives when the body is in acidosis state. You need to make sure your PH levels are balanced by the food and water you consume.

I was advised by an Oncologist at Peter McCallum cancer centre in Melbourne to stay away from carrot juice and other fads following Immunology treatment after excision of malignent melonoma and lymph nodes

I am now 72. About 8 years ago I had my first psa test, which was over 100, I had another in case of a mistake in the reading, but it was even higher. I felt ok, but hadn’t been able to eradicate phn pain (shingles) which came and went over the previous 5 years. I think now maybe metastatic pain.

I refused treatment but finally succumbed when I could no longer pee – a turp procedure solved the problem. A biopsy from the turp gave a gleason score of 4.3. I ignored advice and continued enjoying my lifestyle, taking medication for pain, mainly in lower back.

12 months ago I passed out and awoke in intensive care where I had been for the last 5 days. Undischarged urine had poisoned my system causing sepsis. I was not expected to live.

X-rays confirmed cancer had metasised. I was put on hormone treatment and it gave immediate relief from pain. Due to mounting costs I discharged myself after 2 weeks with a wheelchair and an oxygen cylinder, prepared to die.

That was 12 months ago. I have an implant 3 monthly and to date no other pains – and although my energy levels are down I believe for the moment the cancer is under control – but the 3 monthly cost of 50,000 bht for the treatment, and the hospital bills are a huge burden for me – but I know I will stay much happier in Thailand than returning home – where hospital bills may be free but living costs far in excess of those in Thailand.

I am not writing this for sympathy – if there is anyone out there with doubts or fears maybe I could answer a few questions or compare experiences. It is not an easy subject to bring up and I applaud your letter.

I sympathise with all who suffer from this debilitating desease and the treatment that comes with it.

I am not sure about what you mean when you say "Do Gooders" Fang.

I really believe it is because of the do gooders that I have survived stage 4 metastasis. I say survived as this is how I feel. metastasis means spread and in my case is colon, liver and lung cancer. Many tumours in my lungs, a 22cm * 10cm tumour on the liver and a blood count/ cancer marker of 66 on the colon. The cancer marker is now down to 3.7 and the tumour on my liver has reduced to 14cm *10cm so it's heading in the right direction. The lung tumours don't seem to have shrunk much but this is from x-rays and maybe the CT scan will show better results.

I was given 3-6 months to live last November.

At that time the pain was so bad I could sleep about an hour in 24. My wife looked after me and cared for me 24/7. I was using alternative treatment for a month or so and found it did nothing or was not obvious to me that it was working.

It was then after another checkup that I was given 3-6 months and the doctors told me I had to make a decision on whether I would have chemotherapy or stay with the alternative treatment.

I am 68 and have so many things to do and dying wasn't an alternative. Athough, there were times when I would have embraced it. Especially around the 3rd or 4th Chemo session. I'm not brave, it's just survival.

I have just finished session no 10. and whilst on the chemo tablets my wife who is indonesian and I flew to Jakarta which is where I am at the moment. So I completed session 10 here in Jakarta.

We live in Chiang mai on a permanent basis and whilst I was in the early stages of treatment my friends would call to see me on a daily basis and the support I received from them, my family and everyone that knows me was imense.

Friends and famly flew out from the UK to see me and I swear it was this support that helped me get to where I am now.

Where am I now from a health point of view?

I went from 98 Kilo's to 76 kilo's in a month or so. That was last Dec-January.

I am now 85 Kilo's and building but I would prefer to stay at this weight really. 98 Kilo's was overweight for me.

I feel healthy, I used to smoke but obviously don't anymore since I became ill. I don't drink persay but will have the odd glass of wine. Maybe once a month.

I have no idea what is around the corner, whether this will come back with a vengeance or if I will reach the remission stage but I will say it has given me a different perspective on life. I enjoy everyday, I really do.

I love my family and love my friends whom I believe I owe so much to.

If there is anything I can do to help anyone in this situation, just let me know. I will be happy to help.

Oh and by the way, I drink Papaya leaf tea everyday and this has helped build up my white blood cells which helps with the imune system.

Regards,

David

Fang37, my best wishes go out to you. Reading all the posts, I wonder why there is not more liaison between those meting out conventional treatment and what others might term alternative medicine, or some now declare to be 'new medicine'. The two could go hand in hand and should not be mutually exclusive. Metastases are often a major factor, and as certain supplements can usefully complement both chemo and radiotherapy, especially in high doses as we are using now, why is there not more exchange of useful information and case studies?

Eleven years ago, in the USA, I was diagnosed as having prostate cancer. I had robotic surgery to remove the prostate. Afterwards the doctor advised me that they were forced to "harvest" (gotta love their choice of terms) one of the two nerves which means I now piss like a woman in addition to being impotent. A year later PSA counts were high so they discovered cancer in the bed tissue. Thirty five sessions of radiation took care of that. I get a PSA test here in Pattaya semi-annually and so far things are OK. I would probably consent to radiation but no more surgery. I have a number of other health issues including triple by-pass and aortic valve replacement surgery, a Pacemaker which is not MRI compatible, and back problems (DDD) which is very painful. I will be 77 in a couple of months and no longer really give a shit. Any of you cancer survivors want to join me I am my front porch every afternoon with a few very good cognacs and a good cigar.. Tell the devil if you beat me there to save me a place near the fire.

Hi there- thanks for sharing your experiences- my Mum had throat cancer- a life of gin & it - she too had to have teeth removed and had s very dry mouth because of damage to salivary glands . But she did have a set of dentures- which were not too bad- and could eat quite well.

So why did they tell you no dentures- that would make a great deal of difference to your quality of life .

She used to come over here and stay in the Dusit Resort - no insurance, even though she was not too well ( well dying really) , I will always be very grateful how the staff there looked after her- but she enjoyed the warmth and sun .

I met an Aussie woman a couple of years ago who had cancer that was quite advanced and had also metastacised. She had come to Thailand for her twilight days, and had chosen not to undergo surgery/therapy, but spend the money on enjoying herself. In Thailand they gave her capsules of what she said was morphine (it could have been some derivative, I don't know). She had more than she needed and had collected quite the stockpile. I'm assuming she is no longer with us, and I only knew her for less than a week as she had a travel plans for her bucket list, but she was relaxed, pain free, happy and resigned to the eventual outcome. If that is what happens to me as my exit, I think I'll follow her example as it was actually a very nice ending compared to slash/burn/poison approaches and spending your last days in misery.

I've studied cancer in depth for many years (ever since I found out that my mother had it), but I'm not a doctor or a preacher, so I'll spare you the monologue.

This is completely inaccurate.

The body's pH is always maintained in a very narrow, slightly alkaline range (7.35 - 7.45), and no "battle" required; the body has ample inbuilt mechanism for maintaining it. Only people with severe kidney or respiratory failure -- sick enough to be in an ICU -- have a blood or cellular pH differing from this range.

Carrot juice has not been scientifically proven to "assist" with cancer. In "massive" doses, vitamin A toxicity is possible and can do serious damage. In normal doses, It is healthy enough (though actual carrots, for those able to chew, would be better) but it is not going to cure cancer. A balanced healthy diet is, of course, important in cancer as in any illness and especialy for those undergoing surgery, radiation or chemo (quite a challenge in the latter two cases since nausea may ensue).

The internet is full of sites advocating quack cures for cancer, but TV is not going to provide a forum for it. It does a great disservice to cancer sufferers. Any further such will be dealt with in accordance with health forum rules:

"2. Quackery and Misinformation: Posters should pay particular attention to forum rule # 1) "You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false"....

This will be strictly applied with respect to presentation as fact any statements which are clearly contrary to medical science." http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/224498-health-forum-rules/

I was advised by an Oncologist at Peter McCallum cancer centre in Melbourne to stay away from carrot juice and other fads following Immunology treatment after excision of malignent melonoma and lymph nodes

Why would anyone say stay away from carrot juice?

Sure it wont cure cancer but it is quite tasty and a good source of calcium.

Did the oncologist also say stay away from coke, alcohol, cakes, sugar etc?

My compliments to all of the brave cancer sufferers who have posted here. Fang37 -morphine is indeed constipating. I don't take morphine now but my gastroenterologist gives me a gram of Polyful 500 plus a gram of some powder (can't read the Japanese label) to take three times a day. I have a very long colon so need to take that on a regular basis despite eating lots of vegetables and taking the occasional probiotic capsule. For those who detailed understanding helps, there is a good PBS (USA) documentary called "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies." It turns out that Sidney Farber and Mary Lasker are true heros of the search to find cures for cancers. So, improbably, is President Richard Nixon. If it's not available on Youtube now, I think that it will be shortly. Many in my family have died from cancer: my grandmother, my mother and my sister as well as my step-father. What a killer it is! Good luck to all!

It has been a number of years since I was in the height of my cancer SUFFERING. Morphine - having hallucinations. It is no fun when you think you are somewhere else or in another time era. At present, I have a severely broken leg - physical pain is huge.

However, if I was offered morphine, I would refuse it.

The pH, alkaline diet thing is long proven bull@#$%.

Fang37,

I'm sorry to hear of your cancer, I know first hand what you have gone through and your feelings thereafter. A few years back my older brother like you a heavy smoker since early age. If there was ever a guy who could have sued the smoking industry by himself it would have been him. I estimated he was closed to 3 packs a day. He was retired and rarely left his house and never opened a window or door, he smoked in bed etc.. there were burn marks everywhere.

The worse part was the smell in the house..If one stayed just for a few minutes the smell would capture on to your clothes and it was impossible to even wash off. Just last February in the States, I opened one remaining storage boxes of his and even after a few years of the box being at my mother house when I opened it the smell was there.

The reason my brother stop was after nearly a year of a cough he knew something was not right. Whatever it must have scared him to death. Until that day he told me he liked smoking and didn't want to quit so stopped talking about it, he stopped smoking that in a few weeks he was going back to see the Doctor. Prior to that appointment he told the Doctor many times who recommended test " why fix something that isn't broken" that was his thinking. Well, at the appointment he was told he had a large tumor in his throat after a number of test he was told he had stage 4 cancer in his throat and lung. They recommended the same type of treatment as yourself and he optimistically accepted but when all was said and done he was rendered speechless his vocal cores were burn up and he had a tube sticking out his throat leaking fluids all the time him having to turn a small machine sucking up the fluid. Like you, he had all the sign as you noted after months he was like a vegetable. He was placed in a Long term care facility, after 9 months in that condition I got a call from the Hospital asking me to come home that he wanted to talk to me.

I still remember the look on his face it is something I will remember the rest of my life. The look that he was sorry for telling me whenever I told him to try to quit his response was always " what concern is it of yours who ask you " the look now was he understood because now I was the one who was going to carry out his Will and Trust. He had enough and didn't want to live like this any longer. A week later he peacefully passed in his sleep.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

My husband has just been diagnosed with stage 4 brain and lung cancer. His prostate and bladder cancer is in remission since 2013.

There was no early symptoms of brain and lung cancer till 2 weeks ago he had stroke symptoms (not able to express himself, half side very weak and incontinence) that we brought him to hospital. He doesn't smoke or drink. A huge tumour found on left side of his brain and lung. Admitting to hospital and going for MRI alone is a tedious job persuading him. Doctors suggested radiation therapy x10 sessions for his brain tumour in order to shrink his tumour (otherwise stroke is the next scenario). Oral chemo for his lung cancer. Currently taking steroid for the short term.

His mind is sometimes on and sometimes off. It's difficult to understand what he wants to say now. He refuses treatment. He wants discharge. My world collapse and I'm on tender hooks every moment. He's my only pillar. What am I going to do without him? All the time my whole world is about him and us.

He's not in the right mind now (because of the brain pressure pressing onto the nerves). I cannot totally trust his decisions at this moment.

Times like this I ask myself many times- what have we done to deserve this? I'm at a loss. Watching my husband is like looking at a withering flower. No words can describe that pain in my heart. I keep on encouraging him but till now he just sighs and shakes his head. He doesn't seem to have the will to continue living.

OP mentioned quality and not quantity of life. I do agree, knowing that my husband is that kind of man. But.....

The best advice I can offer is to be a good LISTENER. Cancer is cruel for all parties.

Intervention eg surgery, chemo, radiation, I am against it. Nature may know & understands better.

The sufferer feels the pain; understands the pain. No matter what, nature will have its way.

Listen. No criticism, no urging. Give him whatever he desires.

The best thing you can do is take care of you. That is what he desires too.

@Cpkt8. I have sometimes thought what do I desire when I'm going through the final end of life experience. My wife, she is everything to me, has great inner strength so I look forward to her 'letting me go' in love and peace.

My love & concern for you...

Peter.

The best advice I can offer is to be a good LISTENER. Cancer is cruel for all parties.

Intervention eg surgery, chemo, radiation, I am against it. Nature may know & understands better.

The sufferer feels the pain; understands the pain. No matter what, nature will have its way.

Listen. No criticism, no urging. Give him whatever he desires.

The best thing you can do is take care of you. That is what he desires too.

If your advice is specific to Cpkt8, I agree. I have been through surgeries, chemo, and radiation

and am cancer free for 8 years now, so your advice wouldn't have been right for me at all.

Are you against all interventions in cancer cases?

So many people are living because of these treatments.

I have been in remission for a few years. Quality of life is another issue.

Whatever decision is made, I consider that the sufferer should have input.

Burn the family $$$ for another 5 years of suffering? Would he really prefer that option?

My husband has just been diagnosed with stage 4 brain and lung cancer. His prostate and bladder cancer is in remission since 2013.

There was no early symptoms of brain and lung cancer till 2 weeks ago he had stroke symptoms (not able to express himself, half side very weak and incontinence) that we brought him to hospital. He doesn't smoke or drink. A huge tumour found on left side of his brain and lung. Admitting to hospital and going for MRI alone is a tedious job persuading him. Doctors suggested radiation therapy x10 sessions for his brain tumour in order to shrink his tumour (otherwise stroke is the next scenario). Oral chemo for his lung cancer. Currently taking steroid for the short term.

His mind is sometimes on and sometimes off. It's difficult to understand what he wants to say now. He refuses treatment. He wants discharge. My world collapse and I'm on tender hooks every moment. He's my only pillar. What am I going to do without him? All the time my whole world is about him and us.

He's not in the right mind now (because of the brain pressure pressing onto the nerves). I cannot totally trust his decisions at this moment.

Times like this I ask myself many times- what have we done to deserve this? I'm at a loss. Watching my husband is like looking at a withering flower. No words can describe that pain in my heart. I keep on encouraging him but till now he just sighs and shakes his head. He doesn't seem to have the will to continue living.

OP mentioned quality and not quantity of life. I do agree, knowing that my husband is that kind of man. But.....

Unfortunately yout husband's condition is terminal. He will die of this cancer no matter what is done. Aggressive treatment in this situation often just adds to the suffering.

I understand how difficult this is for you but for the moment -- from now until he dies -- you need to lock away your own feelings and concentrate on doing what is best for him as he is dependent on you for this. While there is no preventing his death, there are decisions to make that will affect how much he suffers and whether his death is a peaceful one.

After he passes away you will have time to grieve and focus on your own needs and feelings.

If he is able to converse then I suggest you have a frank talk with him explaining that his cancer has spread and is no longer curable (I am pretty sure from what you describd that he already realizes this) and that there are 2 options now: 1) treat with radiation and strong medications, which will mean being in the hospital most of the time, in order to perhaps have a few more months of life or 2) no more treatment just medicine for pain and die naturally, at home if he wishes. Then ask him to tell you which is his choice.

I strongly suspect he will tell you #2. In fact he has already been telling you that indirectly.

If he is unable to communicate his choice then you need to decide what you think he would want and communicate it to the doctors.

Again, so sorry for your situation.

The doctor said he can discharge tomorrow since he has anxiety staying in hospital. They have done a CT biopsy and MRI today and results will be out in 2 days time to determine type of cancer cells then will advise us the type of medication to take.

Radiation therapy can be done outpatient, can start by these few days. Is radiation therapy to the brain painful? The last time in 2013 he had done was for his bladder tumour. Nothing felt.

My intention is to let him try this radiation therapy first, at least he's more aware and able to decide what he wants. If nothing is done, stroke is a matter of time and by then he'll not even know who he is.

The radiation itself is not painful, but will usually cause nausea and vomiting, they can give him medications for that but it may or may not totally relieve it. (Radiation to the brain is worse than to other body parts in this respect). He may also become drowsy from it. Both the nausea/vomiting and drowsiness usually subside within say a week of completing the radiation.

You might gain a little bit of time and temporary improvement in function by this but no guarantee. If so be sure to take maximum advantage of it to talk frankly with him about his wishes as well as everything else you may need to discuss before he dies, as even with maximum aggressive therapy he will slip into a coma within a few months if not sooner. In fact sometimes the improvement is for only a few days or a week, so don't delay talking if he has a lucid interval.

In addition to getting a clear idea of his wishes regarding his treatment (first priority), and telling him how much you love him (#2) also use that time to discuss practical matters, for example anything you do not already know about where important papers are, bank accounts, etc etc. Remember that his mental clarity could go at any time so make the most of it if and when it is there.

I really do not recommend chemotherapy in this situation, the potential gain in survival time is small and the price in terms of quality of life is great. All the more so given his dislike of hospitals.

One more thing - you need to talk with him and his doctors about signing an "Advance Directive". This is a form the hosp[ital will have that instructs the doctors and nurses not to artificially prolong his life with breathing machines etc once he naturally stops breathing and not to artificially try to restart his heart once it stops beating. Signing it does not prevent him from getting other treatments that he/you may choose, it just prevents extreme measures that would prolong the dying process. Without this there is every risk they would do these things and he could end up being artificially kept alive on machines in the hospital for days or weeks after he would have otherwise naturally passed away.

What hospital is he in, and is he in any pain? I ask because some hospitals have doctors specializing in palliative care, that is helping terminally ill patients have as good a quality of remaining life as possible, pain free. Where such doctors are available it is often best to switch to being under their care as the primary physician (which does not prevent other specialists being consulted if and as needed).

I know I speak for all members on this forum when I say that we are all sending you our very best wishes and moral support during this terrible time.