need to hire a khun

HLover

Over the past few years it has been noticed there are fewer khun's in Thailand.

Many times I hear the title of farang but only when conducting business that involves a fair amount of money am I referred to as Khun James.

Is this normal that the title foreigners are called directly related to amount of money involved with those hired?

Edited by CharlieH

I am referred to as " Khun " in work everyday its nothing to do with money in the least

if you start referring to yourself in company as "Khun James" when introducing youself, then your just being a prat BTW

Edited by Soutpeel

I notice the Thai pronoun, "mister" is applied to farangs almost universally now.

This is not as an honorific but as a pronoun.

Thais may think it is polite but it just sounds awkward to me. It is used primarily in the second person and bizarrely both when speaking Thai and when speaking (usually poor) English. Whilst the OP needs a "khun", I need the return of good old "you".

You don't refer to yourself as "Khun". Others refer to you as Khun, just as you refer to others as Khun. I've noticed more often now that sometimes I'm referred to as "Miss Nancy" by Thai people -- which is a term used in my country to refer to to older women and I don't have a problem with it at all.

Several years ago during one of the many family get together, I introduced myself as Seng Yai ( Big Noodle).

Seems to have stuck, so I am now (in jest) referred to as Big Noodle within the family.

Not tried it with the traffic cops yet though.

I don't understand your reference about Nana, sorry.

You don't need to, it was a troll.

No not a troll, If you want to hire a few. Then I have a friend that has at least 10. Really everyone should own 5

cheesy.gif

In my country I don't address everyone as Mister....

Aren't you German? Based upon my experience working with Germans they insist on being addressed by their titles, e.g. Herr Doktor and woe betide you if you do not acknowledge someone is a "Doktor", as you will get the icy stare.

In Thailand, educated people of status will often use the expression "sir" when addressing foreigners if they do not know the title of that foreigner, such as Minister, or Dr., or Captain. They will sometimes use "mister". It is just general politeness. Rich kids without manners and the Thais who are in the tourist zones often dispense with polite terms. It's "hey you" or "hey farang". Thais in the rural areas will typically use polite terms, probably because they still have the Thai custom of kindness and hospitality.