Immigration / police visiting foreginers houses

If indeed the OP has a non O-A Immigration visa based on retirement his only obligation remaining to the satisfaction of Immigration is confirmation of his stated residence. That can be confirmed with a visit which was done.

But everything else demanded by Immigration is abuse and harrassment. I suggest you contact your embassy to report the incident. Any resolution, especially if there is a pattern of abuse by this Immigration Office, may require a diplomatic inquiry.

What I meant....

It seems to me that OP has confused extension based on retirement, with extension based upon marriage. As NancyL has stated no house visits based upon extension for retirement.

If in fact the checks were based upon extension for retirement, due to reported cases of domestic abuse by foreigners, what's the problem, would you not want them to be identified and deported; ideally first doing prison time. As for threatening Immi officers with violence - LOL

Op is not confused at all and I wonder why you would say that? I have applied for an extension based on retirement.

I am also dealing with Kap Choeng office and am awaiting a home visitation from them. They have given me an under consideration stamp in my passport.

They also demanded my Thai bank books and copies of those bank books despite me supplying them with a statutory declaration confirming my income from my embassy.

They rang me to say they were coming out last Thursday. They then changed this to Friday and did not arrive. Girl friend rang them at 4pm to enquire what was going on.

Male officer said case has been transferred to another team and they would be out one day next week.

I was due to go away on a short break with friends. Now I cannot go as I am waiting for the home visit. Girl friend works so now has to wait until they arrive.

Totally inconvenient. At the very least they could give an indication of the day and time they will be arriving.

As OP said boss of village and another villager need to be present during the visitation. They also have to produce copies of their tabien bahns and id cards.

As I have mentioned before in another post the treatment we received at Kap Cheong office was very poor indeed.

Whether I get my extension or not we are now looking at other destinations in which to live.

Very clear to me, Perhaps write down their ID numbers for future reference.

The mis timing is a ploy to catch you out.

If you understand the law that they operating under then you have nothing to worry about. you can catch them out.

They come to my wifes house i was out,when she said i lived here they said they have no record of me living there in there books,yet i am on retirement visa for the last 5 years,so tell me how did they know where i lived if they have no record,typical thai officials cock up.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is the guy was doing a 1 year extension for Retirement. Why are checks being made for marriage?. Something not quite right with this.

I always make sure I have contact number of Immigration to make sure anyone who might turn up are genuine. Never use numbers of persons turning up give you.

Edited by TommyUK1960
  • Like 2

they're wrecking havoc aren't they. i had police walk into my house last week. they sat with my wife and asked all sorts of questions. they even spoke to our neighbours. when asked why, they said they checking on all farang households to ensure that we aren't troublemakers and didn't have any domestic violence issues. my wife laughed at them. they weren't impressed but we didn't give a damn. many other farang houses were also visited that week for the same matter.

They wouldn't have got past my gate.

I would have shown them my domestic violence.

You are obviously not a smart guy, if they wanted to get past your gate they would, what did you mean. "would show them your domestic violence "

You should know the do's and don't see if you been here for some time. Your comments tend to suggest you just arrived with a Falang cocky attitude.

• Like 1

I can understand this type of scrutiny if you're on a marriage extension, but a retirement extension? What if you lived alone? You could be a single guy with a retirement extension, you know. Heck, I have a retirement extension and no one from Immigration has ever come around and asked me these questions. If they did, Hubby would probably tell them I don't give him enough money and that I beat him up from time-to-time, just to see their reaction. (He's on a retirement extension, also.)

How right are you if you want you can retire to thailand with your wife from your country you don't need to be married to a thai to retire in thailand

I can understand this type of scrutiny if you're on a marriage extension, but a retirement extension? What if you lived alone? You could be a single guy with a retirement extension, you know. Heck, I have a retirement extension and no one from Immigration has ever come around and asked me these questions. If they did, Hubby would probably tell them I don't give him enough money and that I beat him up from time-to-time, just to see their reaction. (He's on a retirement extension, also.)

How right are you if you want you can retire to thailand with your wife from your country you don't need to be married to a thai to retire in thailand

If indeed the OP has a non O-A Immigration visa based on retirement his only obligation remaining to the satisfaction of Immigration is confirmation of his stated residence. That can be confirmed with a visit which was done.

But everything else demanded by Immigration is abuse and harrassment. I suggest you contact your embassy to report the incident. Any resolution, especially if there is a pattern of abuse by this Immigration Office, may require a diplomatic inquiry.

Oh dear contact your embassy LOL, write to your MP or senator as well where do you think you are Toto ?

Diplomatic enquiry ! - priceless

The OP obligation is what ever immigration say it is, the OP appears to be on an extension of stay not a visa anyway and guess whi approves or declines the extension ?

Knock youself out fight for "rights" burn your bra, all that will result one suspects is delays and further running around while they jerk you around to approve your extension or worst case = extension not approved

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Kap Cheng immigration came to my house ,I was away ,they thought I would be there alone with my young son,they called my phone demanding money for fuel and food and drink ,a Thai friend who spoke for me asked them to write a itemised bill and I would pay ,they then said it was only a joke.3 weeks later when I went for my visa for dependant child they not speak anything to me ,just stamped my passport ,job done .the youngish guy at Kaplan Cheng is a very nice and understanding guy ,it's the older guys you have to watch

• Like 2

Hi BeefSlapper. Amazing story. I am also in your situation, namely married, retirement visa, and Oz vet affairs. When we first married I was going to change from a retirement visa to that based on marriage. Immigration lady (hard nosed but fair - at least with me) helpfully recommended I continue with a retirement visa. She explained through my wife that it is simply easier to administer. Why? Well on a retirement visa the issue of being married or single is irrelevant. Immigration have no pressure to check the integrity of a relationship eg visit the family home to ensure the integrity of said relationship..

Very strange that you had to experience such treatment as you describe. Don't know if there is someone higher to complain to, or even it would be worth it.

Incidentally a few of my mates reverted to visa based on retirement for simplicity.

Cheers and good luck.

It seems to me that OP has confused extension based on retirement, with extension based upon marriage. As NancyL has stated no house visits based upon extension for retirement.

If in fact the checks were based upon extension for retirement, due to reported cases of domestic abuse by foreigners, what's the problem, would you not want them to be identified and deported; ideally first doing prison time. As for threatening Immi officers with violence - LOL

You have not been keeping up have you simple?

Kap Choeng started doing 'under consideration retirement extensions' a little while ago.

• Like 1

they're wrecking havoc aren't they. i had police walk into my house last week. they sat with my wife and asked all sorts of questions. they even spoke to our neighbours. when asked why, they said they checking on all farang households to ensure that we aren't troublemakers and didn't have any domestic violence issues. my wife laughed at them. they weren't impressed but we didn't give a damn. many other farang houses were also visited that week for the same matter.

You are obviously not a smart guy, if they wanted to get past your gate they would, what did you mean. "would show them your domestic violence "

You should know the do's and don't see if you been here for some time. Your comments tend to suggest you just arrived with a Falang cocky attitude.

Have respect for the thai ways and be greatful you can enjoy life as an able person.

The only thing violence proves is lack of education and ignorance.

On another note Your Violence comments are the reasons behind the investigations, so thankyou..

I can understand this type of scrutiny if you're on a marriage extension, but a retirement extension? What if you lived alone? You could be a single guy with a retirement extension, you know. Heck, I have a retirement extension and no one from Immigration has ever come around and asked me these questions.

I'm on a marriage visa that has been extended 10 times, and that's never happened to me...yet. I live in Bangkok though, probably too many marriage visas here to check on each one. I would think upcountry immigration officers probably have a lot more time on their hands.

You have not been keeping up have you simple?

Kap Choeng started doing 'under consideration retirement extensions' a little while ago.

Started back in June. This is not new at KCI. Some individuals get given a 30 day under consideration for retirment while others do not. This effects all of Surin and Buriram Provinces.

Edited by khwaibah

I can understand this type of scrutiny if you're on a marriage extension, but a retirement extension? What if you lived alone? You could be a single guy with a retirement extension, you know. Heck, I have a retirement extension and no one from Immigration has ever come around and asked me these questions.

I'm on a marriage visa that has been extended 10 times, and that's never happened to me...yet. I live in Bangkok though, probably too many marriage visas here to check on each one. I would think upcountry immigration officers probably have a lot more time on their hands.

I live in an "upcountry" area as you call it.

I have been told at my immigration office that they prefer not to do visits since the area is so large and the expats are so spread out, the cost in time and fuel to do these visits is high.

They were very happy to accept a photo of the head of my village along with a short note from him stating that he knew me and that I did live with my wife in the village.

This was an option they offered me when I first got my visa.

I know several married expats in my area ( Korat ) and to my knowledge, none has ever had a visit from immigration.

I also think it is a great idea that they make surprise visits if they suspect spousal abuse or abuse of the system.

Making an appointment for a visit like that defeats the purpose of the visit.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

Surely spousal abuse would be an issue for the regular BiB and not immigration police. Also, I very much doubt that any wife would admit to being abused during one of these visits. All seems rather silly and just an excuse to get out of doing mundane office work.

• Like 1

Every year when I have my Noon O Married visa extended, it is stamped "under consideration" with a return date 30 days later.

It has been explained tome by my immigration officer that this just means that it can take up to 30 days before the extension can be processed officially approved.

It has always been approved.

I don't think an "under consideration" stamp is anything to get your panties in a wad over.

In fact in recent years they no longer tell me to" come back in 30 days to find out if my extension has been approved".

They now tell me to" come back in 30 days to get my approval"

They also give me the option to phone them in three weeks and come pick it up early if it has already been processed.

If I lived in an area where immigration made life so difficult like many of you do, I would relocate!

• Like 1

I had exactly the same treatment as forum starter about a week ago, they came unannounced thou i knew they would come inside the month i was given under consideration. Because they told me at KC when i applyed for retirement ext as i do every year. They were correct in all manner, but boy did they go through documents and made even some new ones. Where do they hide all the documents, copies so on. They did not ask to see inside the house, but one of the four asked to use my toilet. Luckily i can say my ten yr old boy was home from school that day with stomack pains, that made it much more easy for me to explain that i was divorced with sole custody of my boy and as having given the house to mum him and me lived in a rented house. The boss of the four asked to talk to my ex wife but was full of exchuses when he finally understood fully that we was divorced, and divorced without any cuarrels(thats up to now then lol) That i had given mia the house and kept the car and everything else they seemed impressed over, but who know what they think. Well all my papers are in order, i dont have a yellow book but i have a paper from the tax office stating that i pay tax in Thailand and is a permanent resident. That paper looks impressive but is ofcource in english for use in my own country, so i guess next year i have to ask to get my tax and proof of residece in thai as well. I am suprised if i understood forumstarter correct that he got extension there and then, for as they also here brought a laptop/printer/scanner with them and empty documents to fill in by neigbours etc confirming my good standing, they did not bring any stamps. Althou they said everything in order, u have, me, had no problem with extension they did not give it to me there and then, come to office to receive it on date set from applying when i got 1 month under consideration. There is definatly a crack down in progress, and it is not only in KC area. Reed/search " under consideration" and u can see what kind of tricks imm are up to other places in Isan. Show bankbooks etcetra, prove that u transfer money in to the country. This one i have been prepared for as i have save updated bankbooks for many years, and i think this will be more used all over the board. Not only to come and say u receive so and so much in US or Norway but what money are u actually living of here in Thailand. By question "do i have to go through this every year" one of them said "only every second year" so there we go. It is to hope that they have forgotten most of the new rules next year.

And you could very likely be arrested (they're police, remember) and deported for assault on a police officer in the legitimate course of his work, with or without the 7 day clause. Would that make you happy?

Here we have the police being pro-active in the community looking after possibly abused women & getting rid of the bad eggs who give us all a bad name.

Speaking of bad names, in my area I have been told I am the only Farang they have ever seen, who is not drunk all the time and the only one ever seen doing anything around the house and being of help to his wife in any way. I would not welcome such a visit but I kinda like the stated intentions. They are obviously not all like me (and hopefully you)!!!

• Like 1

Every year when I have my Noon O Married visa extended, it is stamped "under consideration" with a return date 30 days later.

It has been explained tome by my immigration officer that this just means that it can take up to 30 days before the extension can be processed officially approved.

It has always been approved.

I don't think an "under consideration" stamp is anything to get your panties in a wad over.

In fact in recent years they no longer tell me to" come back in 30 days to find out if my extension has been approved".

They now tell me to" come back in 30 days to get my approval"

They also give me the option to phone them in three weeks and come pick it up early if it has already been processed.

If I lived in an area where immigration made life so difficult like many of you do, I would relocate!

Did my forth at KCI. All have only taken two weeks as they only go to Korat for approval.