Am I being overcharged by 3BB?

gmac

Indeed it appears you have been downgraded and now connecting at a speed your line can support. I would call 3BB and advise them of this and that you should now be billed for service being provided. It appears you do not have any contract requirements to continue paying for something that is not being provided if you have had service for a number of years.

You are absoutely correct lopburi. I am sure that 3BB will understrand and arrange for the proper charge.

May I use this opportunity to pay compliments to 3BB for the absolutely excellent service they are providing. I have lived in m,any countries, some with all the latest internet developments, but have never enjoyed a service like the one provided by 3BB. A recent example; I live in one of the suburbs of Chiang Mai and I phoned the call center of 3BB reporting a disturbance at 10:30 yesterday. About an hour later I was phoned by the center in Chiang Mai, asking for exact details of the problem. At about 15:00 hrs. two technicians arrived at my house and worked for about half an hour and fixed the problem. Some 20 minutes later I was phoned by the center in Chiang Mai asking is everything was sorted out to my satisfaction. I, of course, confirmed and expressed my appreciation and thanks!

Thanks, that seems to be the standard download on speed test from 3bb's 590 baht package. Would you mind confirming the connection settings on your router.

As per Tywais guidance above a search on 192.168.1.1 usually finds it then check the status tab which should show the upload and download connection settings.

I am in Jomtien and also started to have massive problems with 3BB some months ago.

It started with random disconnects, speed issues and slow DNS responses.

I plan to give them the boot and take TOT fiber instead.

This indicates a problem of poor quality in the state of the physical line or the overall state of the infrastructure. Reducing the speed (bandwidth) in such situations usually improves the reliability of data transfer at the expense of speed. Infrastructure is poor in many areas and unless you opt for a fibre connection, it's wiser to go for the standard package.

Anyone else using the 590 Baht package from 3BB? I would be interested to hear your router connection speeds.

Never subscribe to more than the standard package of 590 baht, because the lines here are so unstable you will never get the promised speed.

When I test my 3BB line I get around 9 to 10 mb/s here in Jomtien. If I test against a UK server it drops down to 3-4 mb. Still have problems with a stable TV stream , a lot of lags and have to restart the stream etc.

Unfortunately people seem to have different experiences with the basic package. My streaming is currently excellent even though I only test at the same speed as the basic, I am concerned that if all the local users (being a predominantly Thai area they probably are) are on that same package, if I do go ahead and downgrade I may find difficulties with streaming due to overloading on the line.

if its working now and your happy forget the 300 baht its a small price to pay for your heath and happiness

Just the way I'm thinking, but it still grates paying 50% extra for possibly the same service.

Anyone else using the 590 Baht package from 3BB? I would be interested to hear your router connection speeds.

I was on the 15 Mb package and the connection kept dropping off. The engineer came along and said nothing wrong, fortunately it dropped off just as he was about to leave. He called the office and after some discussion said that we were on the tail end of the line and it looked like with too many users connected the system could not support the speed and was shutting down.

He reset it to the 10Mb rate and we had to go along to the office and amend the details for the 590 baht package.

I have just checked my router and it is showing 13440 download and 748 upload. If I do the Ookla speedtest I normally get 11.4 Mb upload.

That's almost identical to mine, does the connection work ok now? Streaming etc.

I would say yes to that for what i want. I use Expat tv and that works fine but I think their servers are in Malaysia. When I have tried BBC iplayer sometimes there has been a bit of buffering but I never did try that when I had the 15Mb service.

I live in the country so it is difficult for a valid comparison. I was with TOT before 3BB came to the area and 3BB is a vast improvement on them.

Thanks, I'm outside the tourist areas as well so maybe a reasonable comparison. I use 365sport which seems fine since they reduced my speed.

Did they make any other changes when you went to the office to amend the details or was it just a case of amending the package description in their records and reducing the amount of your payments.

Thanks, I'm outside the tourist areas as well so maybe a reasonable comparison. I use 365sport which seems fine since they reduced my speed.

Did they make any other changes when you went to the office to amend the details or was it just a case of amending the package description in their records and reducing the amount of your payments.

They set up a new account and issue new user/password, this is how the payments are reduced. If the engineer has altered the parameters on your old account to the 10MB service and you continue to connect under the old login, you will continue to be charged at the rate on that account.

You will need to login to the router software and alter the user and password when you have the new account. If you are not familiar with this then you should take the router with you when you go to open the account and they will reset it for you.

3BB charge in advance so when you open the new account you will have to pay the 590 baht. At the end of the billing period on the old account you will get a credit for the unused days on the old account and the second payment on the new account will be reduced accordingly.

They set up a new account and issue new user/password, this is how the payments are reduced. If the engineer has altered the parameters on your old account to the 10MB service and you continue to connect under the old login, you will continue to be charged at the rate on that account.

You will need to login to the router software and alter the user and password when you have the new account. If you are not familiar with this then you should take the router with you when you go to open the account and they will reset it for you.

3BB charge in advance so when you open the new account you will have to pay the 590 baht. At the end of the billing period on the old account you will get a credit for the unused days on the old account and the second payment on the new account will be reduced accordingly.

Thanks very much, sounds like the way to go. I've had a look at my router setup and can't see any sign of where to change a user name and password so I guess I'll have to take the router in and get them to set it up for me again. I suspect it's within the setup wizard but don't like to touch that without knowing what I am doing.

Thanks very much, sounds like the way to go. I've had a look at my router setup and can't see any sign of where to change a user name and password so I guess I'll have to take the router in and get them to set it up for me again. I suspect it's within the setup wizard but don't like to touch that without knowing what I am doing.

I suppose it would depend on the router. I have a TP Link and have to run the setup wizard. You only need change the ISP login, everything else stays the same.

I suppose it would depend on the router. I have a TP Link and have to run the setup wizard. You only need change the ISP login, everything else stays the same.

Really, maybe I'll have a try. Just opening the wizard doesn't reset any settings does it?

Really, maybe I'll have a try. Just opening the wizard doesn't reset any settings does it?

No. You would have to click 'save' to confirm any changes.

Please have a look at their special promotion, good until the 31st of this month:

http://www.tot.co.th/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=349:tot-fiber-2u&Itemid=711〈=en

You'll have to pay 2,100 baht for the wireless router ( regular 6 K) then 745 baht for 20 MB fiber optic.( per month, incl. tax)

They'll connect me tomorrow and I'll have twice as much download speed and twenty times more upload speed.

Promotion ends in a few days. I'll let you know how good/bad it is. Cheers.

Edited by lostinisaan

Thanks all for your help especially tywais for the initial router lesson and Sandyf for the detailed guidance having experienced the same problem. Now happily resolved with new 590baht account and working well at the same speeds for which I was previously paying 900 baht.