Powerful bomb explode near Rajprasong intersection wounding 20 people

webfact

Could anyone who has been there confirm if this is Erawin Shrine?

attachicon.gifErawin Shrine.png

No.

Yes it is the Erawan Shrine next-door to Amarin Mall and Grand Hyatt. But damaged vehicles also in road at the junction. But it was only one explosion like a loud thunder clap but windows rattled more than with thunder. Lots of conflicting news reports but from what I saw on my way home from the office there were serious injuries in immediate area but no other damage outside of the Erawan / Chidlom junction

What's in that photo is not the Erawan shrine - it's another religious statue a couple hundred metres away, the other side of Amarin Plaza.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A powerful bomb exploded at 6.55 pm in front of the Erawan shrine near Ratchaprasong intersection killing at least 12 people, and injuring about 70.

8-17-2015-8-57-23-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Most of the casualties are Chinese tourists visiting the Erawan shrine which is at the Pensinsula Erawan Hotel.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha was alerted of the bomb and ordered full security for the people at the area.

He ordered explosive ordnance disposal units from the police and the army to the scene to clear the area as there was fear of more bombs could be planted.

All the people were told to evacuate about 100 metres from the intersection as the police feared more bombs could be still in the area.

Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Lt-Gen Prawut Thawornsiri said the bomb was a home-made bomb.

However it was not immediately known it was set to go off by mobile phone or a time bomb.

Pol Gen Jaktip Chaichinda , the new national police chief, condemned the bomb attack saying as the country was moving towards conciliation, the perpetrators should not have to destroy the atmosphere and harm the country through such way.

Most of the injured are Chinese tourists and they were admitted to Police General Hospital.

National police chief Pol Gen Somyot Poompunmuong said the bomb was a TNT explosive weighing equivalent to 5 kilogrammes.

The TNT explosive has a destruction radius of 100-200 metres, he said.

He said the bomb was planted at the fence of the Erawan shrine inside the compound of the Peninsula Erawan.

He said more bombs could be planted near the area and the police were ordered to evacuate all people out of the area and facilitate EOD teams from the police and the army to clear the area.

Traffic was closed to facilitate the working of the security officials and EOD team.

Government spokesman of the National Council Peace and Order Maj-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the prime minister has designed his deputy Gen Prawit Wongsuwan to handle the case closely.

He said security officials believed the bomb was carried out by certain group which was disadvantaged by the government’s effort to bring the country to peace.

He vowed the perpetrators would be found and punished drastically.

Gen Prawit said that the bomb explosion was intended on tourists visiting the shrine.

A surveillance camera at the scene captured the moment when the powerful bomb went off 6.55 pm right in front of the intersection where the Erawan shrine crowded with Chinese tourists visiting.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tnt-bomb-explosion-kills-at-least-12-people-and-injures-over-70

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-17

Why are the major news outlets reporting this as "Totally Unexpected?"

Why, because they don't know their arse from their elbow, that's why.

Something on this scale IS totally unexpected.

Unexpected - no way or have you been in Thailand on a 2 week holiday.

Why are the major news outlets reporting this as "Totally Unexpected?"

Because only sick people expect these kind of things.

Nickymaster, demonstrating he is not much of a chaos pilot.

Given recent reactions over the draft constitution from the red short brigade, and the growing discontent with government (justified or not), I am only surprized its taken so long to kick off.

Its not as if Thailand is 'bomb-free' they go off most days down south. Not forgetting the recent history Thailand has had with violence.

Totally unexpected about describing the bombing as totally unexpected.

What are you mate, a clairvoyant? I was wondering how long it would take the junta groupies to blame the red shirts. No one knows who did it as yet. It's despicable whichever side you're on. I would be astounded if it was the redshirts, it's so counter-productive and would alienate a lot of their support. Whoever was responsible, they're monsters with no human feelings at all.

The Thai military have a bit of experience with explosives. It's only prudent to evacuate the area for a search.

I know where you are going.... but for now better keep a low profile, on social networks and co... i hope are not coming harsh times, or we will all have to pack...

Could anyone who has been there confirm if this is Erawin Shrine?

attachicon.gifErawin Shrine.png

No.

Yes it is the Erawan Shrine next-door to Amarin Mall and Grand Hyatt. But damaged vehicles also in road at the junction. But it was only one explosion like a loud thunder clap but windows rattled more than with thunder. Lots of conflicting news reports but from what I saw on my way home from the office there were serious injuries in immediate area but no other damage outside of the Erawan / Chidlom junction

What's in that photo is not the Erawan shrine - it's another religious statue a couple hundred metres away, the other side of Amarin Plaza.

Yes, Ganeshji

Now BBC is reporting that most of the injured/dead are Chinese and Taiwanese tourists..

Strange as it is/was a Hindu shrine.

It is a major inner city tourist attraction that is on pretty much every Bangkok first-time visitors bucket list. And despite being a shrine for a Hindu deity, it is well respected and visited daily by thousands of Thai Buddhists.

The Thai military have a bit of experience with explosives. It's only prudent to evacuate the area for a search.

I know where you are going.... but for now better keep a low profile, on social networks and co... i hope are not coming harsh times, or we will all have to pack...

We will not all have to pack.

Good bless and R.I.P. to those that have been killed and speedy recovery to the injured.

But is anyone really surprised by this ?

You can not take control of a country by false and then tell people they are happy.

I completely agree and have previously posted my sentiments to that fact. I will repeat, this giving back the happiness to the people crap is just a diversion, a cover up for something terribly sinister with this current Administration. Corruption is still rampant, the police force is not to be reformed, the military are digging in for the long haul of running this country and the elite are pulling strings. So what is this tonight, false flag, political or religious, will we ever know? In short the answer is no, but you can rest assured it is just the beginning, the ante has been raised....R.I.P!

You and Chingmai331 just can't help yourselves can you?

You have to layer your political views on a tragic event such as this.

Let the facts unfold before shooting your mouth off.

RIP the dead and may the injured recover quickly.

Where have you been living for the last 20 years, under a rock? The very reason I made the comments is because we will not get the true facts and that people should wake up and discard their security blankets. Of course it is political, everything in this country is political. Maybe you should stock up on tissues, because the worst is yet to come. Do you honestly believe this was because someone had a bad hair day or lost some money on the Chinese exchange rates, grow up and keep your bigoted opinions to yourself.

How about you guys don't post gore pics? Or hide it inside some link? It's disgusting....

I feel very sorry about this and poor families of the victims.
It's sad that there is (if it's in fact a bomb) terrorism in Thailand.
Poland, as much as I find my country boring, at least doesn't have any terrorism.
I feel safe here.

Tragic sights at Amarin. Looks like explosion was next to the Shrine and bikes and cars also hit by the blast. What I thought was remains of a car looks more like Amarin Shrine railings and bikes. Skywalk closed from Gaysorn. I am going to give blood but not sure where to go as Police General Hospital not accessible now?

TRC or Chula Hospital near Saladaeng intersection.

#BREAKING: Thailand's national police chief says it appears #Bangkok explosion was caused by a bomb: http://fxn.ws/1IWujh3

BANGKOK (AP) - At least 1 dead as large explosion rocks major Bangkok intersection; cause unclear.

i'm reposting my last comment from my Forum Blog (as my forum thread was closed adn redirected to here)

I live very close to there.. (a few minutes walk)

its really buzzing with sirens.

and yes,, i felt the blast sound (vibrations of it) through my body in my condo.

tonnes of emergency services now I can see...

but really.. I must say how pathetically SLOW they were to arrive. (especially as its a couple of minutes drive away).

at least Emergency Bikes should have been the first ones to the scene... (but I heard NOTHING until at least 15 minutes after the blast).

that in itself is a story.. the shocking response time!

it has taken more than 40 minutes (since the blast) to free-up a lane of traffic so that emergency services vehicles can hurry to and from the blast site.

Would you rush in knowing that very often there are additional bombs set off with delays timed just right to kill the rescue personal?

Even 15 minutes is pretty risky.

Rescue vehicles in Thailand are a bad joke.

People are not required to pull over and let an ambulance pass...they crawl through traffic like everyone else...why even have sirens on and lights flashing???

Archived