Renewing drivers license

Kenny202

Been here nearly a year and will be time to renew my license soon. I think someone said before you have to go through all the same rigmoral I did to get

it the first time? Do they send out a renewal notice or whats the procedure?

No, there are no reminders. It says when your one year licence expires, but I suggest you try and renew it as close as you can after a birthday, that way you can get nearly 6 years. You have to go through the same procedure again to get the 5 year licence.

Drive test is not required, and normally video and medical not required as well.

If you have a non immigrant visa or extension of stay you should get 5 years.

I assume he got his licence as most falags do, ether with a DL from his home country or with an international licence. He then has to repeat the same procedures as the 1 year licence, colour blindness test,reaction test etc.

Edited by giddyup

Drive test is not required, and normally video and medical not required as well.

I assume he got his licence as most falags do, ether with a DL from his home country or with an international licence. He then has to repeat the same procedures as the 1 year licence, colour blindness test,reaction test etc.
No matter on what basis he received his license, my post is correct.

No matter on what basis he received his license, my post is correct.

Never said otherwise.

I was not sure either for renewal of 5 year licence's so paid a visit to the transport office to find out what they actually wanted. A very nice lady informed me that for proof of residence, work permit or yellow book required.

Told her that I had neither, last time I used the Immigration letter, and she suggested I go and speak with the local Amphur. Well that was a complete waste of time & effort so dragged the wife along to the local tessabaan and they knocked up a letter stating where I live. Had to provide a lot of paperwork, thankfully the wife sorted most of it out and this is a small town so we knew most of the big cheeses in the teesabaan. Letter produced for and no fee.

Next day at the licence place, produced all paperwork, photocopies etc and money, no medical, watched a part of the video and they call you through for the two eye colour tests, brake test and line the sticks up test. Photos taken and then wait for licence.

Check your licence for correct spelling of name in English, they had put my surname down twice on both licences.

For having a new passport I was charged an extra 50 THB admin charge for change of passport number. All sorted and legal again for next 5 years.

This is upcountry , south Phetchabun so maybe slighly different to the cities etc.

I just renewed my licenses from the 1 year to 5 year and brought (assume needed all as nothing given back) Resident Letter from immigration, medical certificate, copies of passport details and the old licenses. Took color test, reaction test and depth of field test where you line up the sticks. No video, driving or knowledge tests. This was Pattaya and although they are very busy I was in and out in about 2 hours.

An interesting note was that I used the address on the expiring license at immigration as the support for the Resident Letter they issue. I had something from the condo JP but person making copies and filling out forms for me said to use the license details and copied that instead.

Hi,

Anybody know where I can find a clinic for the med. cert between Phuket, Karon- Chalong circle-transport office?

I do not know the streets well so if you could provide a google maps linkable address that would be great.

Thank's for any help.

Mark

I wouldn't sweat trying to find a specific clinic it's a standard 1 page document. I'm sure any clinic will have the paperwork as every person needs it for their licence. (I've been to two different places and they both new exactly what I was talking about right away.)

My medical took literally a minute. Stethoscope om the chest...finished

Wow. I would call this an intense check tongue.png

Three times I had to have this medical.

Never been checked at all.

Just one time I saw the doctor checking whether I live at all.

The other two times not even saw a doctor.

Last time I could bet that the assistant just filled a blank signed form blink.png

Doctor not bothered at all.

4 answers none of which supply a simple direct answer to my simple direct question.

Here is one which is all I need now.

Dr. Chusak-Kata @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Chusak/506917579329609

Yes, I could have recommended you Chusak. However you clearly asked for a google map linkable address, which I could not provide. I can tell you though he is on the other side of the road from the google map provided in your link.

You could also check dr. Thithi, direction Chalong Circle coming from Rawai, close to the circle.

Just renewed by license yesterday in BKK.

1) No notification is sent in the mail

2) They still wanted a copy of my home-country license

3) I needed a medical certificate (which I got from a walk-in clinic, stethoscope check only)

4) I did not need to bring my own pictures

5) exact same aptitude "tests" as before

6) it cost 655 Bt

3) I needed a medical certificate (which I got from a walk-in clinic, stethoscope check only)

6) it cost 655 Bt

Was that for a new temporary license?

6) it cost 655 Bt

I changed in my 1 year temporary for the 5 (almost 6) year regular license. I think there was an additional charge added on (50bt?) for them having to update my new passport numbers onto the new license.

6) it cost 655 Bt

I changed in my 1 year temporary for the 5 (almost 6) year regular license. I think there was an additional charge added on (50bt?) for them having to update my new passport numbers onto the new license.

Yes, seems correct, except for the 50 baht.

When renewing 5 year you will not need medical BTW, but will have to watch vdo.

6) it cost 655 Bt

Yes, seems correct, except for the 50 baht.

When renewing 5 year you will not need medical BTW, but will have to watch vdo.

I mentioned in my post # 7, that I was charged 50 THB on each licence for the change of new passport number. It was on the receipt too.

6) it cost 655 Bt

Which Bangkok Area office was that?

6) it cost 655 Bt

I have to do the same in a few weeks in Bangkok (change 1 year to 5 year licence). Quite surprising that they would ask you for your home country driving licence again even though they already gave you a Thai licence a year ago. I can show them that no problem as long as they don't want an embassy stamp on it or something else ridiculous like the first time.

Does anyone know what is the consequence if you apply for the 5 year licence after your 1 year licence has already expired? I don't want to do that but just want to know in case, because the address certification from the immigration takes 3 weeks (thought I could get it the same day).

Does anyone know what is the consequence if you apply for the 5 year licence after your 1 year licence has already expired? I don't want to do that but just want to know in case, because the address certification from the immigration takes 3 weeks (thought I could get it the same day).

Within the first year after expiry you can get your 5 year license without additional tests or the like.

because the address certification from the immigration takes 3 weeks (thought I could get it the same day).

Hell, what immigration office is this?

In Khon Kaen I needed three certs. over the years (for bank account, car buying, driving licenses).

All issued in an instance.

A fee was welcome whistling.gif

Ask about the "expedition fee" rolleyes.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

Within the first year after expiry you can get your 5 year license without additional tests or the like.

because the address certification from the immigration takes 3 weeks (thought I could get it the same day).

Hell, what immigration office is this?

In Khon Kaen I needed three certs. over the years (for bank account, car buying, driving licenses).

All issued in an instance.

A fee was welcome whistling.gif

Ask about the "expedition fee" rolleyes.gif

I don't understand why you have to wait for the expiry of your 1 year temp license before applying for the 5 year. Means u will be driving unlicensed / uninsured for a period of time

I just received my 1 year licence ...26 Aug 2015 to 26 Aug 2017 ?? [emoji15]

Discussed a couple of times.

It has always been a "temporary license" not a "1 year license".

See the document.

"1 year" was just a "nickname".

And they changed it to two years since 24(?) March 2015.

I am too lazy to search for my post on that.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I just received my 1 year licence ...26 Aug 2015 to 26 Aug 2017 ?? [emoji15]

Discussed a couple of times.

It has always been a "temporary license" not a "1 year license".

See the document.

"1 year" was just a "nickname".

And they changed it to two years since 24(?) March 2015.

I am too lazy to search for my post on that.

We were wondering why Mrs. Dirty got a 2 year license... I should have read the old posts, but thank you for posting useful information (even if I didn't read it in time).

K. Phatcharanan, we were at building 4 of the Department of Land Transport up near Mor Chit.

Edited by DirtyDan