Almost Took Out a Bicyclist This Morning

flare

I was driving my car down the middle ring road towards the canal road this morning before 6am, and it was still dark. The road was mostly empty except for a convoy of trucks taking some pigs to the sausage factory. As I passed through the underpass at Hang Dong Road, I noticed a bicyclist with no lights or reflectors on his bike (front or back) wearing dark-colored helmet, shorts and jersey riding right-of-center in the left lane (which I was driving in) with about five meters to spare. I encountered him just as I exited the underpass (which is fairly well-lit) as the light level drops down to zero for several meters, and even with my headlights on I didn't see him until I was practically on his back tire (with no lights or reflectors he was totally hidden). I don't know bicycles at all, but for the quick look I got it appeared he was a member of the group that usually rides at that hour on that route (and I passed them a couple hundred meters later- they were all properly lit and noticeable from a distance)- he wasn't some dummy drunkenly riding home from a bar.

Fortunately there was no traffic and I was able to move quickly to the right lane to pass him by without incident, but had one of the piggy trucks that just passed me been there, it would have been disaster. I'm sure he felt the breeze as I went by (and likely had a few unkind thoughts about the 'idiot driver' who had come so close to hitting him).

It really shook me up, and as I drove on, I speculated as to what the comments would have been had I killed the guy and it was reported in the news. 'At that hour the driver must have been drunk'- nope- I'd gotten a good nights sleep and had been up for over an hour and was grabbing a couple things at the market before my daughter woke up. 'He must have been speeding'- nope- I was going 70kph max as the road was still wet from yesterday's rain and I was in no rush. It would have been the fault of the bicyclist- I was fortunate to have missed him, but I have no doubt I would have borne the entirety of the blame (and been forced to make restitution accordingly).

I ride a motorcycle several times a week for pleasure, and I follow the rider's axiom to 'ride as if you're invisible'- now, of course, I'm not invisible when I ride, but I'm less noticeable on a bike than I would be in a car or truck, especially to a distracted driver- for a driver paying attention I'm a very obvious fellow road user- this rider was indeed invisible, though, and I almost killed him.

I respect people trying to get their early-morning exercise in and I'm very willing to share the road with bicyclists, but I expect to hear about more riders being hurt or injured in the future (similarly to scooter riders who ride foolishly) due to improper safety precautions being taken by the riders themselves- I don't expect the guy I encountered this morning to be around much longer if he keeps up with his current riding style.

Sorry for the rant, but I felt like posting about it.;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice rant and rightfully so he obviously deserves to be hit by passing vehicles I'm sure had it happened you would have no blame put upon yourself, educate these mindless cyclists to try and at least be observed, in my biking history always drive with low beam on day and night as the saying goes better to be safe than sorry.

I have encountered many not too far from there, bicycles and scooters with no lights and dark clothing. I now have a camera on the windscreen....just in case because you know full well who will be to blame otherwise.

... he obviously deserves to be hit by passing vehicles ...

I really don't understand people who think strangers "deserve" a brutal and ugly death for a crime such as inappropriate bicycle riding.

Perhaps you misspoke, and don't mean what you said.

I find the bicyclists that want to show off their self appointed right to ride in the road dangerous. There are far too many of them. Then they blame the other road users for the situation. Many cant handle the responsibility it takes to ride the roads defensively.

Same sort of time early morning just before dawn. Crossroads 121 to Samoeng over the Hang Dong road,most mornings you will see cyclists jumping the traffic lights, many of them with no lights.

Even worse seeing the school transits full of kids also jumping the traffic lights. Even driving defensively these idiots will catch you out.

That said, quite a lot of cyclists are on the canal road in the early morning most of whom have front and back lights. The "newbies" without lights are usually surrounded by the regulars.

Cyclists are the new local 'motersai' retards. I've had several close calls as well.

Seriously guys, stay off highways. I know there are no bicycle lanes but that does not mean that riding on a highway is therefore a sensible thing to do.

If you must be on a bicycle, take up mountain-biking and go bike up some trails.

With regards to the OP though:

riding right-of-center in the left lane (which I was driving in)

Stop doing that. wink.png Don't ever be in the left lane at speed.

Think of it as a really long on-off ramp; you turn into it but then leave it as soon as you can.

^

Well, I had just been passed (by the aforementioned three-piggy-truck caravan, which was moving quite quickly considering how high the cages were stacked in the beds, but that's not in any way unusual), and it was while driving through the underpass (which is two lanes with no shoulder)- normally I drive in the right lane on the open road unless I'm being passed as I agree it's usually the safer position, due to the fact that on the middle ring road (and most other three-lanes-each-way roads) the left lane is used for parking and the middle lane is the on-off ramp as you noted.;)

There are a few rules I follow when driving in Thailand which I don't when driving back in the UK.

The most significant of these is that I won't drive at night:

Usually, because I may have a beer with dinner if I go out.

Usually, because other drivers have been drinking.

Usually, because visibility / lighting is so poor that other road users are not readily visible.

I also have a dash-cam in the car... this is for incidents such as this - It might just keep you out of jail.

I'm not sure of the Laws in Thailand but the highway code here is very similar to the Highway Code in the UK: cyclists on the roads at night (in the dark) without lights is breaking the law in the UK.

The very bright, flashing LEDs are ideal for cyclists - red for rear, white for front.. I've seen some in use here and presume they're not hard to get.

I'm amazed they're not compulsory, but then, I suppose rear lights on m/sais are compulsory, and 1 in 5 don't have 'em. T.I.T.

Going back in time, the first traffic ticket I ever had was when my m/sai rear light blew out. It was still warm when the Highway Patrol stopped me. I was then instructed NOT to try and ride home or I'd get another ticket!!

Those guys on their Harley's never missed a trick.sad.png

I feel for the op. I am seeing what I take to be tourists cycling on the river road going south from chang klan. They travel behind a Thai guide , leader, or maybe he is running interfearence. But I see them 3 abreast on a narrow 2 lane that is made into 3 lanes of traffic during the rush to school/work hours from 0700 to 0930 by motorcycles and even trucks.. The local leading this accident looking for a place to happen seems unaware of the danger he has led them into.

Many people do not realize bicycle and motor bikes are bound by the same traffic laws as cars and trucks. (single turns, lighting, lane usage or lane change, stop on red light, don't use footpath, etc. They need to be made aware of this as should those renting bikes and leading their little parade.

Westerners still trying to fit into Asia.

Bicycles were quite common, not too long ago.

Some people expect traffic (and enforcement) to be identical to back home.

It just is not so. Deal with it...

I've been driving in LOS for nearly 15 years- I've got a fair handle on how things work here, and bicycles on the main roads are actually becoming more common lately.

Really, though, are you kidding? Yes, I expect vehicles using the road (bicycles, cars, scooters, whatever) to have the barest of safety equipment (like a simple reflector) to let me know they're ahead of me when it's dark out and they're on a major thoroughfare- what a silly Westerner I am...

What if I had killed him? That would have been loads of fun to 'deal with' for both me and his family.

In my pre-Thailand days I used to be an avid bicycle user (not here though), but even in the west I wouldn't dream of being out in the dark without lights. This person is just asking for a problem, and likely they would blame you even though you are not at fault.

There is a general rule of thumb that people don't see vehicles smaller than themselves, which I guess goes along with the comment above of assuming you're invisible.

Even in England I've had to kick the side of a few white-van-man vehicles because they were unaware of me or perhaps trying to intimidate me and pushing me to the kerb when I was already close to the side to not interfere with other road users (on writing that, I'm wondering if that is why some bikes take a full lane, to give them space just in case?). I've ridden/driven everything from skate board to 7.5ton (no hgv), so have more awareness than some of the vehicle size issue in visibility, but this guy in Thailands driving conditions has some kind of death wish it would seem.

I do think bikes have equal rights for road use, but here there are many different vehicle types (scooters/trucks/TukTuk/Bus etc), and they all have different behaviours, which can cause friction if playing nice.

In my pre-Thailand days I used to be an avid bicycle user (not here though), but even in the west I wouldn't dream of being out in the dark without lights. This person is just asking for a problem, and likely they would blame you even though you are not at fault.

There is a general rule of thumb that people don't see vehicles smaller than themselves, which I guess goes along with the comment above of assuming you're invisible.

Even in England I've had to kick the side of a few white-van-man vehicles because they were unaware of me or perhaps trying to intimidate me and pushing me to the kerb when I was already close to the side to not interfere with other road users (on writing that, I'm wondering if that is why some bikes take a full lane, to give them space just in case?). I've ridden/driven everything from skate board to 7.5ton (no hgv), so have more awareness than some of the vehicle size issue in visibility, but this guy in Thailands driving conditions has some kind of death wish it would seem.

I do think bikes have equal rights for road use, but here there are many different vehicle types (scooters/trucks/TukTuk/Bus etc), and they all have different behaviours, which can cause friction if playing nice.

Still an avid bicycler at 77. Yes there are tales on both sides of the fence. For me the worst is going around a corner and some idiot in a car or motor bike deciding to turn with you and of course cut the corner sharp and almost run you off of the road. In most cases(has happened to me at least a dozen times over 5 years) there is no place to go. For the sake of disclosure I have kicked the side of many a car and used some unkind words.

Westerners still trying to fit into Asia.

Bicycles were quite common, not too long ago.

Some people expect traffic (and enforcement) to be identical to back home.

It just is not so. Deal with it...

We can deal with it when we see it.Stop living in the past,time moves on,even here.I was in Nepal recently and young Chinese tourists didn't even know how to ride a bikes,one generation,things change.

As much as I love our host country, the roads here can be and most days are, horrendous!

Only this morning, whilst circling a roundabout, a clown in a brand new Yaris darted in front of me causing me to break hard. When sounding the horn, I got the bird in return. `Som nom na` me! haha

Eyes in the back, front and side of your head are needed whilst navigating Thai roads.

The road that cuts from Canal Road through CMU agriculture area to Samoeng road is full of bicyclists who do not understand how dangerous it is to ride side by side rather than single file. Narrow winding roads with limited line of site, and motorbike, car, and truck drivers who have little or no awareness along with the cyclists. Every day I ride it serves as my reminder to myself that I am riding amongst very low-consciousness drivers/riders and I should ride accordingly………...

It always amazes me how people like that cyclist (or motor cyclists) that never "light up" expect motorists to watch out and take care of them by being thoroughly vigilant and cautious when coming near them, in order to avoid hitting them....but they themselves take no precautions at all to protect themselves, a bit one sided that methinks.

It's like the pedestrian crossing from one footpath to the other on the same side of the road (crossing a road that might be an entrance to an estate or similar) and never looks around to make sure nothing is coming. He/She usually just marches across regardless of looking in any direction. It seems to me if the motorist paid the same amount of attention when turning into that road as they did when crossing it....they would be dead or injured for sure. Why do they seen contented to place their lives into the care of motorists while they themselves take no care at all about protecting their own lives?

There are two very big problems when bicycle riders face at night, and they are not the fault of the rider. They are the normal, human reaction known as 'targeting.' When a car driver turns his head to the side to look at something, he tends to turn the steering wheels a bit in the same direction as well. The more the lights flash, the more attention the driver pays to it, and the more the car tends to steer INTO the flashing light.

The second problem arises with the 'duration' of looking by the car driver. This is exacerbated by the lack of light. The driver has to look longer and harder. When the bicycle is right beside the vehicle and the driver is looking at the bike in the side-view mirror, it's almost certain that the car/van will be moving in the direction of the bike, forcing it into the curb. Every bicycle and motorbike rider has experienced this. The more paranoid riders tend to believe that the car is intentionally trying to force them off the road. That's not 'usually' the case...

Bike riders should be lit up. But without flashers. Reflective safety vests are the recommended method, with cross-body reflective stripes. Without this, every rider is in danger at night. As for the rider's 'right' to be on the road, it's the same as the car drivers. But car drivers don't like that. And cars are bigger than bikes. Riders need to remember that fact.

I'm a keen cyclist with nearly 5000km this year. You wouldn't catch me on one of the ring roads, super or any other major highway around Chiang Mai, day or night. Other main roads, even those with motorbike lanes, I try to avoid. I drive a lot too, and am well aware of the nutters driving the roads here.

Its not just cycles that are difficult to see at night.

Last week I had cause to follow the wife home on the motorbikes. I noticed her back light was out and riding down Suthep Road a poorly lit road she was almost invisible. One vehicle cut inside her and she had to take some evasive action but afterwards I said actually I couldn't even see you and I was following you so how can a truck see you. I literally had to shadow her all the way home using my back light.

Yesterday evening coming into the city down the Mahidol I was thinking about the biker who decided to take the leap over the flyover. From where I entered the Mahidol at the river all the way into the old city I counted 8 motorbikes with no backlight working and 2 not even with headlight on.

Just think about the next time you get on your bike at night. how often did you check the back light is working,? when you put your bum on that seat you cannot see it. check yours today; the 30bt bulb can save your life.

Why would he need lights??? he is Thai, & he has got his especially blessed Amulet on, He thinks that he is bulletproof. (Sarcasm)...

Sorry, but that can be the mentality you have to deal with on the roads here... TIT

Way back, I nearly ran into the back of what I suspect was a charcoal seller,( my wifes' observation) black as Newgates Knocker, no lights and taking up most of the road with his cart. The road was badly lit and he seemed to merge into the background. Like you, fortunately I just avoided him. Around here in Sattahip there are a few cyclists still riding without lights but on the whole most seem to have them. Like motorists here they think that just because they can see you, you can see them and are reluctant to switch on their lights. As I was taught in the army 'light's up, sights up. Light down, sights down'. Things are a lot nearer than you think in twilight.

I'm a keen cyclist with nearly 5000km this year. You wouldn't catch me on one of the ring roads, super or any other major highway around Chiang Mai, day or night. Other main roads, even those with motorbike lanes, I try to avoid. I drive a lot too, and am well aware of the nutters driving the roads here.

OP, I wasn't suggesting you were one of many nutters driving on the roads here!

Archived