Almost Took Out a Bicyclist This Morning

flare

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doi Suthip mountain is a great gym. Free membership. Cycle up it, walk up it on the trails, run up it. See some nature, fresh air(most of the time) . It seems to be getting more and more popular for exercise with the locals.

There's about 200 of us going up at the weekends, and 50 regulars on weekdays.

Start time 6:00am-7:30am every morning.

Mostly Thais, couple of foreigners on weekdays.

Foreigner team, bit faster than me .......

I always go up between 17:00-19:00. I would estimate about 50 locals go up in the evening. Some people go up, come down and go up again which is quite keen!

Anyone reading this who has never cycled up. You dont have to be some super fit athlete. You dont have to ride up to the temple or Doi Pui first go! Ride up just 1 or 2 km? Stop at the waterfall? Aim for the viewpoint halfway up? Its a good work out and your fitness will improve. Go at least twice a week. Low gears and good brakes are essential but you dont need a fancy bike. I see plenty of retired locals going up on mountain bikes during the evening.

Cyclists are the most pleasant people here (of course there are always exceptions).

I'm shocked at the videos of cycle rage I see from overseas, I can only hope these are mainly exceptions too.

I participate in MTB races all over Thailand, one in Tak just this morning, and I have never seen anything but good sportsmanship and friendly on course discourse, even in the heat of "battle".

Archived