Honda Phantom

HLover

Couple of years ago I had one and drove it for 5 years. The 200cc is usually very reliable, service is cheap. Spare parts are plenty and also cheap, so it is very cheap to run.

Resale value is good. I drove it for 5 years and lost 10.000 THBgiggle.gif (I had bought it 2. hand), only did the service and had zero problems.

Even the battery lasted the whole time. I used it 1-2 times a week for runs between 10 to 50km, all in all about 15000km.

So not big mileage, but I´ve seen Phantoms with 90k km still going strong.

Negative:

If you are tall it may is uncomfortable to sit on, top speed is only 120-130km/h - a good cruising speed is around 100km/h.

Riding a Phantom is boring.

The mini Chopper looks a little bit tacky, especially if you are tall and big and add leather saddlebags (to the biketongue.png ) and that stuff...

If you say I don`t care to look tacky, I just want something cheap, reliable and and not another Scooter, the Phantom is maybe a good bike for you.

I liked it, as I`m not tall it was comfy to sit and it was very cheap to run.

At that time I had bought it the variety for 200cc bikes and bigger was very limited, now there are so much very affordable bikes with 250-650cc I think I would not buy another Phantom.

The main reason for me would be the (very) boring ride and tacky looks.

go with the vinyl rather that leather saddle bags. Edited by papa al

I am only 7 or 8 years behind you, hoping things hold together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tPxEf3ylnQ...what happened to this style of bike?

Well if I hold together I am sure the Phantom will.

Where do you live?

I live next to the Mae Wong national park in Khampaeng Phet province.

Perhaps some of us oldies could have a meet in the drier season (I hate getting wet on the bike) and poodle off on our Phantoms, Zimmer frames etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tPxEf3ylnQ...what happened to this style of bike?

Where do you live?

Perhaps some of us oldies could have a meet in the drier season (I hate getting wet on the bike) and poodle off on our Phantoms, Zimmer frames etc.

Yes, I will be up for that, I don't ride in the rain either, too dangerous for me. In the UK I use a bicycle instead of a zimmerframe. We live in Khon Kaen 500km away, so probably put the NV on the back of my pickup, either that or a two day ride each way.

Given the distance maybe a 2 or 3 day ride with overnight hotels, interested in that?

Where do you live?

Yes, I will be up for that, I don't ride in the rain either, too dangerous for me. In the UK I use a bicycle instead of a zimmerframe. We live in Khon Kaen 500km away, so probably put the NV on the back of my pickup, either that or a two day ride each way.

Given the distance maybe a 2 or 3 day ride with overnight hotels, interested in that?

That seems like a plan. Lets see if anyone else wants to play?

Where do you live?

That seems like a plan. Lets see if anyone else wants to play?

Go for it guys.

Sorry I can't join, up to my neck in working for my retirement.

Have a good time.

I am normally a bit put off a the thought of riding with a group, I see guys riding a lot faster than me on much faster sports bikes, even old farts like me. I am not knocking it just not for me and I always take the missus along too. The option of just meeting up at the end of the day is good, provided the day is not too long. 300km a day on really good roads is easily enough for me, much less on shitty ones and the idea of lots of different bikes is good.

See who we get and then decide where to go....Wild Hogs?...maybe a new thread.

Yes, definitely an "old man's" bike and I agree, people do look foolish on them, especially with the fringed, leather saddle-bags.

But, I'm a biggish guy who rides Honda Super Cubs C90s and C70s, so, I know a thing, or two about looking foolish.

When I bought mine it had those stupid fringes on the end of the handle bars and on the seat as well. I cut the ones on the handlebars off and threw them away and replaced the seat with a stock seat.

PM me with the details, what area are you based?

Hey there, I tried send you a PM but it says that this user can't receive anymore new messages???

Anyways the bike is in BKK Saphan Sung are at my friend's house and he can show it if you want (I live up country).

Bike is on TV classifieds: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/851146-for-sale-2005-yamaha-dragstar-400-classic-with-green-book/

Hey there, I tried send you a PM but it says that this user can't receive anymore new messages???

Anyways the bike is in BKK Saphan Sung are at my friend's house and he can show it if you want (I live up country).

Bike is on TV classifieds: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/851146-for-sale-2005-yamaha-dragstar-400-classic-with-green-book/

I know two people who have Dragstars, one a 400 in Thailand, another a 1100 in the UK and both say they are reliable and the 400 is fast enough, I prefer the standard bike as opposed to the Classic, personal choice that's all.

I won't be back for 3 weeks so will see if it is still available when I get back, but it looks like a very nice bike, in my price range too.

The Honda will be underpowered for most people , a new 250 v-twin Keeway would be better , a Yamaha Dragstar 400 even better , but second-hand , and more expensive . Choices , choices .

I bought my Phantom in 2009 for 55,000 with 5,xxx on the clock and now 6 years later it has 49,xxx.

If I tidied it up a bit I may get 30,000 for it or perhaps 25,000. If I say 25,000 I has cost me 30,000 or 5,000 baht a year and for that kind of money at 420 a month baht doesn't begin to cover the pleasure and fun I have had with it.

This advert is for a Dragstar 400cc, the same year as mine with 10,000 more km on it. 120,000 Baht and it is about 10 years old.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/for-sale-2005-yamaha-dragstar-400-classic-with-green-book-340894.html

The Keeway wasn't around when I bought mine but it is about 85,000 baht new and it is a Chinese copy of the old 250 cc Yamaha updated a bit.

billd776 , your spot on . At a "loss" ? of just 30,000 for the fun youve had , it shows how great this biking lark is . One of my bikes is a Platinum PX 250 , ( superb run-around bike , that is supprisingly good and capable off-road ) bought 1 year old with 1,300KM , for 30,000 . If , in another 5 years , its still going , its free ! . Heres a question , if a Keeway was available second hand , or even new , when you bought the Phantom , would you have bought one . If so , i wonder how well it would have lasted , and what its value would be now .

I was 125kg (read fat bugger) when I started riding mine but I have lost 5kg since then.

I am lucky with my local Honda dealer and a couple of guys that work there as they are pretty good guys.

My first bike was a 1957 LD 150 Lambretta air cooled scooter that I bought in the UK back in 1962. It would cruise all day at 50 mph/80kph but run it flat out 58 mph/90 kph and in 10 minutes it would overheat and die. Wait 10 minutes to let it cool down and I would be on my way again.

It looked like this but in blue and white.

attachicon.gif1957 Lambretta LD 150.jpg

i also had a Yamaha Virago 535 cc for a year or so but like your Phantom it was a bit of a dog. I sold it for a loss of 15,000 baht a year later. When it was running well it was a good bike but that was for only about 30% of its life with me. The other 70% it was in the shed broken and awaiting parts.

Sadly doubling the cc doesn't always double the power. Mostly it depends on the type of bike too.

Years ago in the UK I used to have a Honda CX 500cc V twin. It was the "small" version of the Honda Gold Wing which at that time was either a 1,000 or 1,200 cc bike but the power wasn't double but the torque was great.

Nowadays if I had the money I would love the latest Honda 1800cc trike like this one.

attachicon.gifHonda trike.jpg

Unfortunately Honda don't make them in Thailand so it would be a very expensive import.

Is it just papa, or is a bike like this a bit ostentatious ?

I bought my Phantom in 2009 for 55,000 with 5,xxx on the clock and now 6 years later it has 49,xxx.

If I tidied it up a bit I may get 30,000 for it or perhaps 25,000. If I say 25,000 I has cost me 30,000 or 5,000 baht a year and for that kind of money at 420 a month baht doesn't begin to cover the pleasure and fun I have had with it.

This advert is for a Dragstar 400cc, the same year as mine with 10,000 more km on it. 120,000 Baht and it is about 10 years old.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/for-sale-2005-yamaha-dragstar-400-classic-with-green-book-340894.html

The Keeway wasn't around when I bought mine but it is about 85,000 baht new and it is a Chinese copy of the old 250 cc Yamaha updated a bit.

My Honda Super Cub's value goes up every year.

A highly practical bike for where I live, Phuket.

Traffic is now grid-locked, but, I always manage to get to the front at the lights.

Usually go up the left side, but, when that gets blocked with other bikes, I go up the centre where Waves and Dreams fear to tread. The Super Cub is narrower.

Course....you look a bit of a twit as the bikes are so tiny and if you want a bike for a decent ride on open roads 70cc and 90cc is probably a tad under-powered.

If I had to go for a modern bike, would either go for a Honda PCX, or a Yamaha 135cc.

post-89533-0-78320300-1440632576_thumb.j

post-89533-0-63508200-1440632604_thumb.j

post-89533-0-26814800-1440632647_thumb.j

thank you.

I was 125kg (read fat bugger) when I started riding mine but I have lost 5kg since then.

I am lucky with my local Honda dealer and a couple of guys that work there as they are pretty good guys.

My first bike was a 1957 LD 150 Lambretta air cooled scooter that I bought in the UK back in 1962. It would cruise all day at 50 mph/80kph but run it flat out 58 mph/90 kph and in 10 minutes it would overheat and die. Wait 10 minutes to let it cool down and I would be on my way again.

It looked like this but in blue and white.

attachicon.gif1957 Lambretta LD 150.jpg

i also had a Yamaha Virago 535 cc for a year or so but like your Phantom it was a bit of a dog. I sold it for a loss of 15,000 baht a year later. When it was running well it was a good bike but that was for only about 30% of its life with me. The other 70% it was in the shed broken and awaiting parts.

Sadly doubling the cc doesn't always double the power. Mostly it depends on the type of bike too.

Years ago in the UK I used to have a Honda CX 500cc V twin. It was the "small" version of the Honda Gold Wing which at that time was either a 1,000 or 1,200 cc bike but the power wasn't double but the torque was great.

Nowadays if I had the money I would love the latest Honda 1800cc trike like this one.

attachicon.gifHonda trike.jpg

Unfortunately Honda don't make them in Thailand so it would be a very expensive import.

Is it just papa, or is a bike like this a bit ostentatious ?

Yes it is a bit ostentatious I have to agree and if I had the money I would buy one simply because I love biking and at 71 it gets a bit more difficult every year.

The thing with the trike is that it is a bit harder to fall off it, it is a bit more difficult to park (but it does have a reverse gear) and, like me it is built more for comfort than speed.

If you want a moderate performance cruiser from the big 4 Jap manufactures forget it, they are all too busy copying each other building identical sports bikes to thrash around on. I know I am just talking about Thailand, but for many these high speed back breaking sports bikes are useless and for the younger and more supple they just encourage speed. High speed riding in Thailand with all the hazards here, is not the best... "There are old bikers and bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers".

I am thinking about buying a Phantom from a friend, he is 'upgrading' to a car. He is the second owner, both previous owners were falangs. I'm a big guy, 186cm and a bit tubby, but I don't like big bikes all that much. I had a Suzuki GZ250 for a long time and I loved that bike, and I am pretty sure I was tubbier when I owned it. I had a VX800 and it was an awesome bike too but it was a little bigger than is my preference.

I drove a VW bus for a long time and I tend to drive all my vehicles in a similar way to driving an old bus; not tearing away from a stop like I'm in a drag race, and not too fast at the top end. Honestly, with the general condition of Thai roads I think going much over 100 kph is crazy. Especially in the country when you never know when the road may be blocked by a herd of cows.

I do want to spend a good amount of time out on the roads traveling all over Thailand now that I'm turning 50 and I won't be tied down staying close to school here in Pattaya.

What is it about the handling, dry and in the rain, that is bad? Is it just the normal thing with cruiser style bikes that they are less agile? How would you compare the handling to an Airblade? That's what I ride now, ridden from Pattaya to Udon Thani and back on it too FWIW

If it is a butt clencher how is it also boring to ride? Is it just that is is not all that fast? Or is the handling really bad?

I have heard that an NV400 engine can be dropped into the Phantom frame very easily, almost no modifications. Do any of you guys know anyone who has done that? Any legal/registration problems with that?

If you felt you looked silly on a phantom how do you not look silly on a wave 110? I don't get this one at all, and not sure I care, but curious 555

Edited by Furryman

I am thinking about buying a Phantom from a friend, he is 'upgrading' to a car. He is the second owner, both previous owners were falangs. I'm a big guy, 186cm and a bit tubby, but I don't like big bikes all that much. I had a Suzuki GZ250 for a long time and I loved that bike, and I am pretty sure I was tubbier when I owned it. I had a VX800 and it was an awesome bike too but it was a little bigger than is my preference.

I drove a VW bus for a long time and I tend to drive all my vehicles in a similar way to driving an old bus; not tearing away from a stop like I'm in a drag race, and not too fast at the top end. Honestly, with the general condition of Thai roads I think going much over 100 kph is crazy. Especially in the country when you never know when the road may be blocked by a herd of cows.

I do want to spend a good amount of time out on the roads traveling all over Thailand now that I'm turning 50 and I won't be tied down staying close to school here in Pattaya.

What is it about the handling, dry and in the rain, that is bad? Is it just the normal thing with cruiser style bikes that they are less agile? How would you compare the handling to an Airblade? That's what I ride now, ridden from Pattaya to Udon Thani and back on it too FWIW

If it is a butt clencher how is it also boring to ride? Is it just that is is not all that fast? Or is the handling really bad?

I have heard that an NV400 engine can be dropped into the Phantom frame very easily, almost no modifications. Do any of you guys know anyone who has done that? Any legal/registration problems with that?

If you felt you looked silly on a phantom how do you not look silly on a wave 110? I don't get this one at all, and not sure I care, but curious 555

Yes. Now that you are 50 and out of school, good idea to buy a cruiser and cruise.

The handling isn't a problem if you ride slowly, the only issues I had were all in the rain, where you cannot trust any sort of lean when cornering.

If you were weaned on a VW Combi bus, the pace of the 200 Phantom may be okay, just get one with a decent engine.

I saw a Phantom with a Suzuki 400 twin, Jo Modify lengthened the frame under the tank by about 2 inches and the result looked quite good and went well.

Without a suitable new bike on the market, I am considering a modified bike, a cruiser is also the best option for me with room for two in comfort.

I would be very surprised if the NV400 engine will drop straight in, it is a bigger bulkier engine and it is water cooled too, so you need to house the water system....Also be careful many of the NV400s are like mine and are shaft drive, so no chance in that case. Add to that they have 4 spark plugs, so one or more may be rendered inaccessible.

The Suzuki is air cooled, a better option

Edited by AllanB

The handling isn't a problem if you ride slowly, the only issues I had were all in the rain, where you cannot trust any sort of lean when cornering.

If you were weaned on a VW Combi bus, the pace of the 200 Phantom may be okay, just get one with a decent engine.

I saw a Phantom with a Suzuki 400 twin, Jo Modify lengthened the frame under the tank by about 2 inches and the result looked quite good and went well.

Without a suitable new bike on the market, I am considering a modified bike, a cruiser is also the best option for me with room for two in comfort.

I would be very surprised if the NV400 engine will drop straight in, it is a bigger bulkier engine and it is water cooled too, so you need to house the water system....Also be careful many of the NV400s are like mine and are shaft drive, so no chance in that case. Add to that they have 4 spark plugs, so one or more may be rendered inaccessible.

The Suzuki is air cooled, a better option

I don't corner hard anyway, not on sand covered Thai roads, and certainly not in the rain. Like I said I'm no race driver, would probably not often break 100, though I did get my Airblade up just over 110 once, as an experiment. It would probablly be nice to have a some space to go faster if I needed to for passing and such.

Would rather have a v-twin over a 4 cylinder anyway, thanks for the info.

So long as you have papers showing the new motor is not stolen, and you are willing to pay the added taxes for the bigger engine, is there any problem with dropping a new engine in the old frame?

Edited by Furryman

Another quick question. Does the Phantom have an oil filter? I was shocked to find out the airblade has none, but it got me to be a lot more regular with oil changes knowing that.

No oil filter, had my Phantom had one neither of my engine rebuilds would have been necessary. The rubbers in the clutch disinterested and blocked the pathetic little oil pump, the Honda mechanic didn't clean it out properly and a week later the engine went bang again, same reason.

Thais don't own up to their mistakes so I had two rebuild bills.

I said the engine is flimsy so small problems end up as big problems, the timing chain is tiny too, which is a real worry when you see it.

My 1983 NV400 is ten times as strong, has a proper pump protected by a canister oil filter. Japanese built, when they knew how to build bikes.

One thing I found is that if you can fix it, fix it yourself, it make take a while, as it does with me in the heat. If you can't and have to farm it out, watch them like a hawk and take it back straight away when it doesn't work 100%. Be as polite as they are...and as stubborn.

Edited by AllanB