Ford / Mazda 3.2 Engine notes

Pomthai

Following discussion in another thread and not wanting to derail that one.

I've attached a couple of pictures as per IMHO's request of a cooling hose that is known to fail. Detail quoted from my post below.

One issue was a coolant hose from the transmission cooler to radiator chafed and leaked, was replaced under warranty. BTW this hose I've learned is a very common failure point. It rubs under the fuel filter assembly and is responsible for several destroyed engines. If you have a 3.2 Ford or Mazda have this checked.

post-22176-0-46258700-1440073933_thumb.j

post-22176-0-93966100-1440073948_thumb.j

post-22176-0-48091900-1440073964_thumb.j

Worth checking your vehicle and a mention to the dealer next service. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Pomthai

Another one for you 3.2 owners, there's an aluminum heat shield under the transmission cooler. located just forward of the passenger foot well.

Its riveted in place. Those rivets fail and fall out leaving this plate rattling. Common complaint I've noticed on various other online forums. Easy fix with a small bolt and nylock. Happened to mine already.

Another one for you 3.2 owners, there's an aluminum heat shield under the transmission cooler. located just forward of the passenger foot well.

Its riveted in place. Those rivets fail and fall out leaving this plate rattling. Common complaint I've noticed on various other online forums. Easy fix with a small bolt and nylock. Happened to mine already.

Not sure if this is the right part, but I see rivets:

post-163537-0-36577800-1440228591_thumb.

Note: "Crap if Dropped" completely unintentional :P

Edited by IMHO

Quoted From The Advert Thread About The Ranger

For maximum power and torque for heavy-duty towing, Ford is offering the latest generation of its globally proven 3.2-liter Duratorq five-cylinder TDCi diesel engine. Upgrades to the engine include an updated exhaust gas recirculation system help to improve fuel efficiency, while still putting out 147 kW of power and 470 Nm of torque.

I'll like to know how they substantiate this claim? I've never heard or read evidence that EGR improves fuel efficiency. In fact the opposite is usually true and in my experience disabling the EGR system improves fuel efficiency.

For maximum power and torque for heavy-duty towing, Ford is offering the latest generation of its globally proven 3.2-liter Duratorq five-cylinder TDCi diesel engine. Upgrades to the engine include an updated exhaust gas recirculation system help to improve fuel efficiency, while still putting out 147 kW of power and 470 Nm of torque.

I'll like to know how they substantiate this claim? I've never heard or read evidence that EGR improves fuel efficiency. In fact the opposite is usually true and in my experience disabling the EGR system improves fuel efficiency.

The probably mean 'improved fuel efficiency in comparison to the previous model'.

As stevenl says, it's in comparison to the previous version - in other words, the new EGR system wastes less fuel ;)

That's not the only change - both engines also have new injectors (to reduce noise) and new (smaller) turbo's to reduce lag.

Ok. Fair enough. BTW with the EGR blanked my average fuel consumption went from 8.1l/100km to 7.8. Often get 7.7l/100km on a longer run.

Yep, I have experienced similar gains on the Mistu 2.5L doing the same. In the case of the Ford Puma 2.2L and 3.2L, they must have had a pretty inefficient EGR implementation, because they're claiming up to 16% FE improvement (but some of that will be injectors/turbo/gearbox/ECU tune). At that, I don't suppose there's much to be gained (if anything) from blanking it on the updated Ford engines - other than a cleaner EGR valve ;)

Blanking would give a cleaner EGR valve + less crap going into your engine and engine oil.

I read the Everest in Australia uses SCR / adblue. That may have something to do with the change in EGR.

Edited by Jitar

First oil change cycle after blanking didn't really make much of a difference, but down the road 15,000 plus km into another oil change, a marked improvement in the cleanliness of the oil. Its still golden in color. First oil change was still washing crap out I guess.

Next little project will be installing a catch can to keep oil out of the inter-cooler and rest of the inlet side of things.