More than one person behind blast, Bangkok bomb makers may be foreign: experts

webfact

More than one person behind blast, bomb makers may be foreign: experts
The Nation

30267114-01_big.jpg?1440110726983

Examination showed use of ball bearings; such bombs 'have never been used here'

BANGKOK: -- A POLICE bomb expert says the Erawan attack was carried out by a group and its members may be foreigners who are expert bomb makers.

The source said a forensic examination of the scene of the deadly explosion at the Ratchaprasong Intersection and an explosion at Sathorn Pier the following day found that the devices contained ball bearings, which could easily be obtained in Thailand.

He said the bombs were skilfully made, so not much remained of them after they exploded. Such explosives had never been used in Thailand before.

He said bombs made by Thais usually contained nails or metal parts.

"Every time an explosive-ordnance disposal team disposes of a bomb, we collect the information about the bomb thoroughly. Therefore, we have the bomb-making pattern of each group," he said.

The officer said that even though the evidence pointed to foreigners making the bombs, it was clear Thais had supported them by sourcing the materials for the devices.

He said the bomb makers must have been very professional because the bombs' timers were well calculated.

Regarding the Sathorn Pier attack, he said the bomb might have been dropped from Taksin Bridge to the pier but missed the target and fell into the river.

CCTV not working

Police found surveillance cameras on both sides of the bridge were not working, while four witnesses of the incident were not very cooperative with police.

There is a theory that the bomb was placed under the bridge, because the water was shallow enough to do that.

Police are checking surveillance footage in the area to try to pinpoint suspicious behaviour.

While the two bombs were very similar, police could not yet be sure the attacks were carried out by the same group, the source said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/More-than-one-person-behind-blast-bomb-makers-may--30267114.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-21

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCTV not working.............
Four witnesses not cooperative with police.........

The face of the man in the yellow shirt is is blurred ..........

All the available evidences are even more blurred.........

Bla....... bla .......bla.........

Edited by doremifasol

The bomb was foreign made, because it was of good quality?

Both the Shrine and bridge bombs were similar but we can't be sure they came from the same group?

How many groups of domestic terrorists are suspected to be operating in Thailand at this time then?

'No Thai person could ever do this'. (One of my students reiterated this to me?)

Some people are just dwelling in a river in Egypt.

Police found surveillance cameras on both sides of the bridge were not working, .....
Is this statement a trick or is this just stupid to announce that publicly?

Anyway, before
thailand buys 3 submarines for 38 Billion Baht, they should prefer to invest the money into a functioning camera and traffic monitoring system.
The benefits in terms of security for the population would be much much bigger.

If this type of bomb hasn't been used before in Thailand then of course the makers must be foreign because Thai people are incapable of using the Internet to find detailed instructions on how to make bombs. That's right, isn't it?

...while four witnesses of the incident were not very cooperative with police.

What on earth does that mean??

Thai police have poor investigative skills. They released the scene far, far too soon, because they have no idea how to process it, and because the public expected it. It should still be sealed off. There is shrapnel imbedded in various surfaces; shrapnel that may have valuable forensic evidence.

Likewise, Thai police have zero interview skills.

Now, their torture-to-get-anyone-to-say-anything skills, that's a different matter. But the world is watching, so torture, for now, is out.

EDIT: Ignorant spillchecker

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Jonathan Head, BBC, tried to deliver pieces of shrapnel to the Police HQ found 3 days after the blast but was told it was 'closed'

the 'accomplices' are also cleared

instead of wanting the truth it's all about face, face and more face

Right on Sherlock Holmes. A Thai terrorist could never get hold of TNT, one of the most common military and industrial explosives on the planet.

And, as our 'experts' rightly point out, no Thai with access to Google would ever think of using ball bearings as a cheap and ready source of shrapnel. Only a foreigner could have thought of that.

Blame it on the foreigners, as they always do.

Why don't they shut up until they have solid evidence?

Interesting to learn that bombs with ball bearings have never been used in Thailand. I think the Iranian that blew his legs off a few years back might disagree.

Maybe they meant "successfully" used in Thailand before

Blowing your own legs off while also missing the intended target probably doesn't quality...

Maybe they think a Thai couldn't figure out how to set the timer.... Most of the previous bombs in Thailand have been thrown grenade and run away etc and almost nobody has been arrested for those either so slim chance of getting guys using timers

Interesting to learn that bombs with ball bearings have never been used in Thailand. I think the Iranian that blew his legs off a few years back might disagree.

Blowing your own legs off while also missing the intended target probably doesn't quality...

Maybe they think a Thai couldn't figure out how to set the timer.... Most of the previous bombs in Thailand have been thrown grenade and run away etc and almost nobody has been arrested for those either so slim chance of getting guys using timers

The effectiveness of his throwing arm is irrelevant. The design of the bomb is the important part. It appears the bombs made by the Iranians had ball bearings as well. That was the point of my post.

The effectiveness of his throwing arm is irrelevant. The design of the bomb is the important part. It appears the bombs made by the Iranians had ball bearings as well. That was the point of my post.

My point was, previously Thai terrorists were a simple bunch... Throw it and run away was the best they could ever do...

They think this is a foreign guy for some reasons maybe we don't know yet, but it could be because sophisticated timers were on the bombs.... Probably More complicated and deadly because there won't be someone running away from the bang a few seconds later

Thank goodness he didn't leave it a more crowded place.... But that maybe next :(

Sorry my friend, that was a grenade.... The victim had thrown the grenade at a taxi but it hit a tree and rebounded against him just as it exploded. That explosion blew his legs off..

.. Don't you love trees..?

...while four witnesses of the incident were not very cooperative with police.

What on earth does that mean??

Means they didn't show up to the police station to tell the police what happened and one or two BIB had to get off their lazy asses and move for something that had nothing to do with a mia noi or karaoke.

Another U-turn,they say one thing and a couple of days later

the story is a complete opposite,not only in this case but lots

of other policies that are put out,

If they were foreign terrorists ,I think they would be more likely

claim responsibility.

regards worgeordie

Right on Sherlock Holmes. A Thai terrorist could never get hold of TNT, one of the most common military and industrial explosives on the planet.

And, as our 'experts' rightly point out, no Thai with access to Google would ever think of using ball bearings as a cheap and ready source of shrapnel. Only a foreigner could have thought of that.

Blame it on the foreigners, as they always do.

Why don't they shut up until they have solid evidence?

As a fully qualified TV CSI (and viewer of Discovery channel) I understand that military grade and industrial grade explosives are very different, so that should provide clues.

I don't understand how they can think the constant flow of contradictory comments makes them look good. You'd think the PM might have the intelligence to tell the police to stop making the country look stupid, but no. Utterly clueless.

Today's bullshit seems to be they want to speak to some woman that was involved.

Thainess at work.

Sorry my friend, that was a grenade.... The victim had thrown the grenade at a taxi but it hit a tree and rebounded against him just as it exploded. That explosion blew his legs off..

.. Don't you love trees..?

If you read reports that weren't written by a Thai translator, they often refer to them as improvised explosives or homemade bombs. Thais also called the explosion that went off under the Taksin bridge a grenade before the investigation had gotten very far. I surmise that the Thai translation for bomb is generally grenade.

The BBC have collected shrapnel from the site that was supposedly "cleaned" by the authorities, and the other 2 suspects in the network have been cleared, one Chinese, one Thai.

I posted in another thread how I rode my bike through evidence all over Rama I road the next morning. I had followed the police directions through the parking lot of the Police Hospital and wound up in a street full of glass and who else knows what. It was on the outside of the barricades and there were people walking through it to go take pictures of the shrine from the barricades.

4 witnesses refused to cooperate?? Publish their Names and addresses on Facebook and the victims relatives will get the truth out of them...

I've heard a tazor to the testicles is a great interrogation device also, wonder why the police didn't wouldn't just use that if these people really know something about this...